CONVICTION OVERTURNED CA - Sgt. Todd Sommer, 23, fatally poisoned, San Diego, 18 Feb 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Nore said:
-----------

Jeana (DP), if the grandparents are still young enough to raise the child yes.The child is Todds also,not just Lisas'.Todds family are already deprived of their son.A grandparent is closer than a brother.The fact the grandparents may hate the mother should have no reflection on how the boy would be raised,he is not hated.This boy is young and we are talking about a whole life ahead.Much would be taken into consideration,grandparents health,finances,ability to cope. With all that present,yes I'd go for custody.It doesn't mean he should never see his mothers' family or his half siblings.If one has animosity toward a parent it does not have to be brought before the child.I am living proof.In fact I have always said "remember one thing,you love your mother,you hate what she did".

Todd's parents seem like very nice people and I would hope that they would be willing to take any of the children that need a home in and that they allow a relationship with the mother. I know that they honestly believe that she killed him, so it would be THE hardest thing they've ever had to do, but I feel the children deserve contact with the mom.

JDB said:
Kobinlnksi *SP* Just said on LK it could have been done from eating at a resturant HMMM Bad Mexican Food that Todd said at first.
if it was bad mexican food from the truck....

hwo many other perfectly healthy strong marines/construction workers died from food arsenic poisonging that day...

not possible.

next guess...?

~lightwaveryder~

Sniffy38 said:
Lady Justice is smiling today! I'm with you Lisa & Peter. She was as cold and unfeeling at hearing the verdict and she was when she poisoned her beloved husband. Another Scott Peterson - It's all about Me, Me, Me. Perhaps now his mother can get some needed rest and try to heal the deep wound.

RIP, sweet Todd.
--Sniffy---yep, justice has been done--Todd's murderer has been convicted and removed from society--She didn't get away with it so indeed Todd can now Rest In Peace

fundiva said:
I agree with you. This case in general terms was just like Scott Peterson, except they know the method. The LE didn't have to prove the method of death for Laci Peterson, or where she died. They were probably even to arrest him without the bodies, until they turned up. They had no information that Scott did any of the above, except that the bodies turned up where he had been that day. Again, purely circumstantial In this case, the circumstantial evidence was more since the LE did prove the method of death, just couldn't place the arsenic in her hands. All the other circumstanial evident points to her though, just as much as the circumstantial evidence pointed to Scott Peterson. Scott was judged by his actions; so was Cindy. Both were unbelievable and, IMO, guilty as sin. Here are some reasons I think that:
1. There is no doubt that arsenic killed her husband. The defense couldn't refute that. Their experts didn't have any explanation concerning bad Mexican food. I'm sure if that was true, those experts would have had no problem testifying to that. They did testify that he had arsenic in his system 1000 times higher than average. What Mexican food can do that?
2. While the ambulance was rushing her unconscious and barely breathing husband to the hospital, she nonchalantly stopped by the store to pick up cigarettes on her way. He was dead by the time she got there. That was behavior prior to him dying and shows her lack of concern.
3. She read a card Todd for Valentine's Day saying he was sorry she couldn't get her "boobies" this year. Maybe next year they would be in a position to afford them. That was a very short time before his death. Yet, the day he died she went to an appointment, without him, to see about a breast job. Did she know something was going to happen to have her suddenly afford them? I think so. In her mind it was just a matter of time for the arsenic to work. I don't care that she got her "boobies", I just think the behavior and the timing says a lot. By the way, did you notice the huge jackets they had her wear. When the jury was out of the room I saw she took off her jacket and was wearing a very form fitting turtleneck. She hurriedly put it back on when the jury was headed back in.
4. The defense couldn't shed light onto who else would want Todd dead. He had no enemies that they could dredge up. Just like Laci, he was well liked. So, if not Cindy, who?

That's just a few of the most obvious reasons I believe she is guilty.[/QUOTE---Indeed you are right Fundiva--good post--and I didn't even know about the stopping for the cigs--

fundiva said:
I agree with you. This case in general terms was just like Scott Peterson, except they know the method. The LE didn't have to prove the method of death for Laci Peterson, or where she died. They were probably even to arrest him without the bodies, until they turned up. They had no information that Scott did any of the above, except that the bodies turned up where he had been that day. Again, purely circumstantial In this case, the circumstantial evidence was more since the LE did prove the method of death, just couldn't place the arsenic in her hands. All the other circumstanial evident points to her though, just as much as the circumstantial evidence pointed to Scott Peterson. Scott was judged by his actions; so was Cindy. Both were unbelievable and, IMO, guilty as sin. Here are some reasons I think that:
1. There is no doubt that arsenic killed her husband. The defense couldn't refute that. Their experts didn't have any explanation concerning bad Mexican food. I'm sure if that was true, those experts would have had no problem testifying to that. They did testify that he had arsenic in his system 1000 times higher than average. What Mexican food can do that?
2. While the ambulance was rushing her unconscious and barely breathing husband to the hospital, she nonchalantly stopped by the store to pick up cigarettes on her way. He was dead by the time she got there. That was behavior prior to him dying and shows her lack of concern.
3. She read a card Todd for Valentine's Day saying he was sorry she couldn't get her "boobies" this year. Maybe next year they would be in a position to afford them. That was a very short time before his death. Yet, the day he died she went to an appointment, without him, to see about a breast job. Did she know something was going to happen to have her suddenly afford them? I think so. In her mind it was just a matter of time for the arsenic to work. I don't care that she got her "boobies", I just think the behavior and the timing says a lot. By the way, did you notice the huge jackets they had her wear. When the jury was out of the room I saw she took off her jacket and was wearing a very form fitting turtleneck. She hurriedly put it back on when the jury was headed back in.
4. The defense couldn't shed light onto who else would want Todd dead. He had no enemies that they could dredge up. Just like Laci, he was well liked. So, if not Cindy, who?

That's just a few of the most obvious reasons I believe she is guilty.
I watched the whole trial on TV and feel really sad about our legal system.I kept waiting for some evidence of this woman committing murder.Not only did I not see any but I left believing he wasn't even poisoned.If you listened to the experts from both sides you see that even they weren't sure how those test results were achieved.The expert with the best credentials,Dr.Poklis,even said that it wasn't possible to have these results.By the way he was the expert the pros. contacted 1st and didn't then use.Tons of reasonable doubt for me here.

lightwaveryder said:
if it was bad mexican food from the truck....

hwo many other perfectly healthy strong marines/construction workers died from food arsenic poisonging that day...

not possible.

next guess...?

~lightwaveryder~
If you can show me during the trial she bought the arsenic I will say she is guilty.The jury reached the verdict because of behavior not Proof of a murder.And why did it take them 4-5 years to charge her.The prosceution did a shabby job but the Jury made the descion . I think a new trial will be coming.

Well I guess I am gulity of my wifes stroke a few years ago too.As after the ambulance came and we head to the hospitla I knew it was going to be a long long day. Gee guess what I stopped at a store and grabbed a pack of Cigs . As in the rush to get her to the hospital I forgot to grab mine.Ever think this is what happened to Cindy? Knew it was going to be a long time at the hospital and she forgot to grab a pack?

JDB said:
If you can show me during the trial she bought the arsenic I will say she is guilty.The jury reached the verdict because of behavior not Proof of a murder.And why did it take them 4-5 years to charge her.The prosceution did a shabby job but the Jury made the descion . I think a new trial will be coming.

1. Show me how Scott killed Laci.

2. I can give you a long list of reasons that she was guilty, none of which includes the salacious stuff.

3. It was 11 mos. before the arsenic poisoning was discovered and then they did a thorough cold case investigation. If it had been sooner would you be saying it was a rush to judgement?

4. The prosecution did a shabby job? Don't you mean the defense??

5. I don't think she'll be getting a new trial. The judge warned the defense that if they opened the door, the thong was coming in. He did and it did.

But she would have been convicted anyway. Remember, JDB, she testified. She got to tell her story and they didn't believe it. She was caught in a number of lies and that tends not to sit well with juries.

I don't understand the support for this killer, frankly. Maybe Marlene can take up her cause.

JDB said:
Oh yes he did. The first time he went to the Hospital he said it might be the food I ate off the truck.

He was speculating that it might have been the egg roll he had eaten the previous afternoon.

GEE, why didn't he say, oh, my wife must have put arsenic in my Dr. Pepper?
NOBODY suspected arsenic.

And it couldn't have been the egg roll because of the time disparity between ingestion and onset of symptoms.

lisafremont said:
1. Show me how Scott killed Laci.He was At the spot she came ashore Months later

2. I can give you a long list of reasons that she was guilty, none of which includes the salacious stuff.

3. It was 11 mos. before the arsenic poisoning was discovered and then they did a thorough cold case investigation. If it had been sooner would you be saying it was a rush to judgement?The defense showed a possibilty of mis handling the evidence *organs* When that happens resonable doubt Must go to the defendant

4. The prosecution did a shabby job? Don't you mean the defense??No Proscution never proved there case as far as she poisoned him. Again resonable dout goes to defendant

5. I don't think she'll be getting a new trial. The judge warned the defense that if they opened the door, the thong was coming in. He did and it did.

But she would have been convicted anyway. Remember, JDB, she testified. She got to tell her story and they didn't believe it. She was caught in a number of lies and that tends not to sit well with juries.

I don't understand the support for this killer, frankly. Maybe Marlene can take up her cause.
Gawd I hope not. Then she is doomed.
Like I said you show me where she purchased the arsenic then she is gulity.

lisafremont said:
He was speculating that it might have been the egg roll he had eaten the previous afternoon.

GEE, why didn't he say, oh, my wife must have put arsenic in my Dr. Pepper?
NOBODY suspected arsenic.

And it couldn't have been the egg roll because of the time disparity between ingestion and onset of symptoms.
Oh but recall please. Tood when first at the hospital said It might be the eggrolls I ate.
Beside he was Haelthy the day before he dies. Knotts berry Farm

paperhanger44z said:
I watched the whole trial on TV and feel really sad about our legal system.I kept waiting for some evidence of this woman committing murder.Not only did I not see any but I left believing he wasn't even poisoned.If you listened to the experts from both sides you see that even they weren't sure how those test results were achieved.The expert with the best credentials,Dr.Poklis,even said that it wasn't possible to have these results.By the way he was the expert the pros. contacted 1st and didn't then use.Tons of reasonable doubt for me here.

Finally, a spark! :clap:

JDB said:
Oh but recall please. Tood when first at the hospital said It might be the eggrolls I ate.
Beside he was Haelthy the day before he dies. Knotts berry Farm

Todd wasn't really healthy the weekend that they went to Knotts Berry Farm. According to his wife he was feeling better but still not feeling well. He went because he wanted to make up for Valentine's Day. Like the expert said, a person feels deathly ill and then they start to feel better and then they die. There is a certain sequence in how the poisoning works in the body.

We don't know where Cindy got the poison because it took so long before the service tested Todd's tissue that the poison was long gone by then. I'm sure she didn't have it laying around the house. She could have ordered it on line from a computer at a library or even a friend's house. No one else even had a motive.

I don't know if the jury convicted on behavior or not...they haven't talked to the media yet BUT...if I had been on the jury her behavior after Todd's death would have been a big ole red flag to me. I have a hard time believing that she loved her husband and was grief stricken when he died. Who would be having wild partys and threesomes right after their husband dropped dead. Here we have a young woman with 4 kids whose husband has just died at the age of 23 yrs old. He was supposed to be her soul mate...the love of her life. How could she even function? Yet she functioned quite well in every possible way. People might grieve in different ways but I'll never be convinced that that is one of the ways. I could understand the going wild and sleeping around and partying if they had just gotten divorced but not when your young husband dies.

JDB said:
I understand about 'reasonable doubt' but saying that you have to have proof that the accused purchase the murder weapon to get a conviction..
i don't agree.

arsenic could have been bought with cash at any home depot type store, and tracing every single container of arsenic sold in the county and surrounding counties to try and tie one purchase to her would seem to be a little extreme.
i think a search should have been done, but arsenic is not illegal or controlled.
it would be like saying the killer chewed tic tacs and we better get the surveillance tapes of every convenience store purchase made in the last 6 months at 5000 convenience stores. wouldnt be a viable investigative option.

so you are saying , unless you can prove the defendant purchased a murder weapon, there can be no conviction. I'm afraid with that standard of evidence most murders would be overturned becuase the first thing you do when trying to kill someone is acquire the murder weapon in a way that is not trace-able back to you.

my opinion.

~lwr~

She is on LK tonight giving a JailHouse interview.

I am simply gobsmacked! How on earth could a jury find her guilty when there wasn't clear evidence a crime was even involved in his death?! There wasn't even enough evidence she did it...even if criminal intent were present. For a jury to base such a case on what she did or didn't do afterward is ridiculous. I hope her lawyers keep working on new evidence to warrant an appeal or an overturn on this one. There is certainly reasonable doubt from what I saw presented in this case.

I saw most of the program last night but not all of it. She kept saying that they didn't have the evidence to convict her, but I never heard her say that she didn't commit the crime.

I watched the interview and Cynthia was very convincing. I kept listening and watching to see if she seemed arrogant or indifferent, but she seemed quite normal. She sounded intelligent, and she didn't seem like the type of party girl she admits she was after her husband's death. This case is so puzzling. Of course, I didn't hear the trial and the jury did, but it does seem the evidence just wasn't there. Her behavior after Todd died was unusual. But, unlike Scott Peterson, whose behavior was suspicious because his pregnant wife was still missing, Cynthia's behavior, though unusual, could probably be explained. She might be somewhat unsophisticated, desperate for attention and validation, or she may have been spending money and partying as a way of escaping pain. The expected behavior of an innocent person while his pregnant wife is missing is pretty universal, but mourning someone's death is more complex and, even though I don't understand deviating from the norm, apparently many people do and their behavior afterwards is not always predictable.

As I write this, I just thought of one odd thing about the interview with Larry King. Her children are very young, and I guess it's a bit strange that she didn't bring them up and talk about the agony of being away from them as they grow up. But perhaps she just answered Larry's questions and didn't express other feelings.

SAN DIEGO - A Florida woman who was convicted of murdering her Marine husband with arsenic and using his $250,000 military death benefit to pay for breast implants and a party lifestyle will appear for sentencing Oct. 23, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Cynthia Sommer, 33, faces an automatic sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. She was found guilty in January after a jury trial of first-degree murder by poisoning and for financial gain. http://www.jacksonville.com/apnews/stories/082107/D8R5NADG0.shtml

SAN DIEGO — A judge ordered a new trial Friday for a woman who was convicted of poisoning her Marine husband with arsenic and then using his life insurance to pay for breast implants.

The judge found that Cynthia Sommer, 34, received ineffective representation from her former defense attorney. San Diego Superior Court Judge Peter Deddeh said the lawyer's errors allowed prosecutors to introduce evidence about Sommer's wild partying immediately after the sudden death of her 23-year-old husband.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314432,00.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum