CONVICTION OVERTURNED CA - Sgt. Todd Sommer, 23, fatally poisoned, San Diego, 18 Feb 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I watched this whole thing unfold on CTV. It was the first trial that I watched from almost start to finish. I remember sitting there for a good couple of minutes with my mouth hanging open when they found her guilty. . . . . I just couldn't believe it.

She may be guilty as heck, but I think she deserves a new trial. I just didn't see where they proved it beyond reasonable doubt.

Gawd I hope not. Then she is doomed.
Like I said you show me where she purchased the arsenic then she is guilty.

JDB, perhaps you can show us all where it is the State's burden to show she purchased the arsenic?

Are you saying that if a murder victim dies by a firearm the State must trace that firearm back to the defendant to meet their burden of proof? They never have to produce the weapon or trace the method used. Many times defendants can be very good at getting rid of all traces back to them. They didn't even investigate this case until 15 months later as a homicide. By then the arsenic was long gone imo just like her original computer was very conveniently missing.

I certainly hope that is not what you are saying for the State has no burden to prove the arsenic was purchased by the defendant or produce the arsenic just like they wouldn't if another victim had died from a gunshot wound, stabbing or bludgeoning and LE never recovered the weapon/method used or traced it back to the defendant. LE never could find or trace the bludgeoning weapon used back to Scott Dyleski when he used it to murder Pam Vitale, he is doing LWOP.

Respectfully by your logic all the defendant has to do is get rid of the evidence of the weapon/method and they are home free.

Todd's death was due to arsenic poisoning. His body is the evidence of the method used. ALL experts agreed that ingestion would have had to occur within 3 hours before symptoms showed up. It fits perfectly imo because Todd went to bed fine at 11:30 pm and 3 hours later he was sick as a dog. NO ONE was in that home with him that was an adult other than Cindy Sommer.

It doesn't bother me at all that CS got a new trial. I have to agree with the Judge and Udell was a fruit-loop extraordinaire.

What I found so revealing in this case is she never gave up where the old computer was. She just wasn't going to cough it up even though it still had a balance owing that her father in law was responsible for paying. What in the world could have been on there that she would never ever reveal where it was?

I believe she will be found guilty again.

imoo

I watched this whole thing unfold on CTV. It was the first trial that I watched from almost start to finish. I remember sitting there for a good couple of minutes with my mouth hanging open when they found her guilty. . . . . I just couldn't believe it.

She may be guilty as heck, but I think she deserves a new trial. I just didn't see where they proved it beyond reasonable doubt.

It was very much like the Scott Peterson trial including the wild sexcapades and salacious details. A powerful circumstantial case.

I thought about what Rick Distaso said in the Scott Peterson case in his closing argument and I thought of it again in the CS case. "How many coincidences does the defense want you to believe and still be able to call yourselves reasonable people?" (paraphrasing)

imoo

They just dropped all charges and released her tonight from jail.
She has been in jail after being convicted of this murder for a long time.

>>Sommer was released from jail Thursday night after two years and four months in the Las Colinas Detention Facility in suburban Santee.<<

http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/story/272780.html

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080417-1946-bn17sommer2.html

Charges against widow dropped in Marine's death
SAN DIEGO – A murder charge against Cynthia Sommer was dropped Thursday after further tests on her husband's body concluded he was not poisoned, making it difficult to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis announced.
Further testing on tissue from Sgt. Todd Sommer's body concluded the high levels of arsenic found in his system probably came from another source and not from being poisoned.

WOW.

Does this mean she'll be suing someone now?
all I can say is she was one happy camper walking out of that jail. Looks like the DA's office really screwed this one up. A judge had ordered a new trial and as they were preparing for it, they said whoops...and dropped everything.

This woman has definately made some mistakes. She had too many kids too early. However, she's not on trial for choices that she made during that time and she's not on trial for how badly she behaved after he passed away. She's on trial for intentionally feeding her husband arsenic. So far, they've failed to prove that she had access to the drug or fed it to him. Moreover, and definately more importantly, they're not even able to prove that it was the cause of death. I think there is so much reasonable doubt here, I cannot believe the prosecution even took her to trial.
ding ding ding ding

Now that she has been set free and exonerated it is interesting to go back and read the trial followers comments.Some of you totally nailed it! Where's JDB?

Some good links with background info here:
There are also some videos from tonight.
DA Drops Charges Against Marine Widow

Dumanis: There Was 'Reasonable Doubt'

SAN DIEGO -- A woman accused of poisoning her Marine husband is now free, after San Diego County's District Attorney drops all charges against her.
District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis said she asked a Superior Court judge Thursday to dismiss murder charges against Cynthia Sommer, 34, after new tests showed no traces of poison. Sommer walked out of the Las Colinas Detention Facility in Santee around 7:20 p.m. on Thursday, just two hours after Dumanis made her announcement.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/mostpopular/15915979/detail.html

Cindy Sommer was released from prison Thursday night and all charges have been dropped. Yeah!!!!! This was a definite miscarriage of justice. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I'm sticking with my opinion. Guilty. I have to ask how there are "new samples" that don't contain aresenic. Did they exhume the body to take new samples? What is the half life on aresenic? Could the aresenic been released from the body and soaked into the ground? I'm having a really hard time with the new arsenic free samples. I still would say she is guilty.

I'm glad she was released and charges dropped. I always thought she was innocent of the murder.

Some good news, this case had so little factual evidence, they tried her on how she according to the pros did not grieve appropriately, and her behaviour and character,

the science was just pure junk,

I hope she sues the pants of them, she and her children now have to build a new future together,

I can only imagine the joy of that family today, as they are reunited

I'm sticking with my opinion. Guilty. I have to ask how there are "new samples" that don't contain aresenic. Did they exhume the body to take new samples? What is the half life on aresenic? Could the aresenic been released from the body and soaked into the ground? I'm having a really hard time with the new arsenic free samples. I still would say she is guilty.

Good questions! I think she's guilty also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoyaqueen
Back