Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, there were more than enough motivating factors to release her while they were still ahead. I also don't believe traffickers are necessarily killers (especially the bottoms in this industry). The victims are a commodity and worth much more alive than dead. IMO, the intense publicity would've thwarted their plans for trafficking. One of them may also have been wanting to negotiate for the ransom, while the other thought it was too risky.

As a side note, while remaining supportive of SP and all she has endured, I realize KP, the children and her family have also had their worlds turned upside down. KP mentioned in the 2020 interview that there was nothing he wouldn't have done to find SP (paraphrasing). If you speak to KP, I just wanted to relay that I support him 100% in doing just that. He may have had access to means that many families of missing do not, but I don't think anyone can fault him for utilizing every resource he had.

Combine that with (possibly) a ST abduction gone bad, massive publicity of your captive, significant rewards for someone willing to turn you in and the fact that kidnapping is an 8 year prison term vs a lethal injection gig and you might be able to bake a cake, even with a number of other ingredients missing.

I don't think she was taken by serial killers. If so, why would they hide their identities? If they were serial killers, she'd be dead. I think that they may have intended to keep her, but after all of the media coverage, they realized keeping her would be too risky. It could be that the two women had a conversation and one wanted to kill Sherri, whereas the other one didn't, and so she sneaked out and released Sherri. Do we know how long Sherri's last car ride was, Lake?

Due to the ongoing nature of the investigation I'm afraid I'm unable to provide more information on that subject.

Who believes that the reverse ransom and/or its resultant publicity was directly responsible for SP's Thanksgiving Day release?

Who thinks the abductors accomplished their purpose?

Do you have confirmation that SP volunteered for CASA? The VI said she had done the Turkey Trot for them regularly, but I've been curious as to how much she may have been involved with them.

The motive in this case is unknown and I have been struggling with why the female perps kidnapped her and may have even been part of what happened to her.

One thing someone else brought up made me think of a possible motive.

We know she volunteered for the CASA organization. And my understanding is the children in that organization sometimes are from families where they were abused or neglected. Which tells me that maybe the children were taken away from their moms and/or dads by child protective services.

So one possible motive could be a mom or dad or both that felt their child was getting too close a relationship to someone that now befriended them and if they got really upset about it and couldn't do anything about it since CASA and CPS were in control of the child.

Its one of the few possible motives that I could think of where a female perp could have reason to be mad at someone. Especially if they had visitation rights and the child would maybe call the caretaker mom instead of their real mom.

Probably too far in left field of an idea. We can scratch this if its too far of a foul ball idea.

I had thought about a hidden ransom also. My other theory is that they intended to kidnap someone else's loved one for ransom, grabbed her in a case of mistaken identity, then realized their mistake? The fact that there are so many possibilities doesn't help.

The thing that makes me think hidden ransom is the 3 weeks. That's a long time to hold someone, only to let them go.

Would it really take sex traffickers 3 weeks to figure out there was too much publicity?
Would someone wanting revenge, or to send a message, take 3 weeks to do so?
No and no.

It makes me think it was either for fun, or because they were waiting for something.

It makes me sick to think that these perps could get only eight years for all of the trauma and torture that they put this poor girl through.

Completely excusable. I mean...after all, you do have the most adorable profile pic ever!

I took three years of French and all I've got is "The House that Jack Built" and The Our Father. (Was taught by a very old nun.

Sorry for O/T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read every post & I can't remember where I "heard" this...but, did KP really say that SP
would be home on Thanksgiving?

So did they drive another 2.5 hours on Thanksgiving eve?

If not then they went straight to a far location on day 1.

How many stash houses do we think she was held at?

I think she was taken directly to Yolo, or very nearby, and then, on Thanksgiving Day, was driven to the intersection by the JW Church, and was pushed out of the car, where she then made her way to the JW church, then up the road, and down the ramp to the Interstate where she was seen. It's only about 1,500 ft from the church to the end of the ramp to the Interstate. Honestly, after losing 13 pounds, being battered, and pushed from a vehicle, most likely disoriented, and in the dark of night, making her way 1,500' to the interstate was pretty impressive.

Another viable theory I've already mentioned is that there was a 'hidden' ransom and Sherri was taken to put pressure on somebody who cares about her.
For example, loan sharks may have been demanding repayment of a loan, and said they will keep torturing her until the loan is repaid.
Or drug dealers may have been demanding some drugs be returned to them.

This scenario seems the most likely IMO. A variation would be somebody close to SP was encroaching on the business of drug dealers (or any other illegal operation) and the kidnapping was meant to send a message to back off. It also makes it clear who is in control.

The beating and branding would be an effective way for the kidnappers to have their demands met quickly. It also makes sense that they would keep her alive. If SP was a pawn in a war between two drug dealing operations killing her could start a war and bring on more scrutiny from LE. If kidnapping can send an effective message nothing further is needed.

SP may have likely been the target not because she was very close to the person the kidnappers were trying to send a message to but because she was the easiest to abduct. A 100 pound woman out running on her own could easily be overpowered and put into a vehicle.

I will pass that along at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. And you are right about KP, I have nothing but respect for him. He probably lost almost as much weight as SP during her captivity and worked so hard trying to find Sherri, working with LE, and trying to get more publicity for his missing wife. I know there were dark times for him when the reality that SP may not be alive got through the mental barrier he had erected but he managed to push it aside and stay positive for the sake of his children and family. Fortunately he has a very supportive family also. Your comment about their world turned upside down is very insightful, none of them would of wished this ordeal, publicity and hurtful rumors on their worst enemy. The Papini's and extended family are good, law abiding people that don't owe money to drug dealers or loan sharks. And no doubt all of those angles were checked out by LE. The family came together as a team and each person did what they could in an attempt to assist in SP's safe return. And they were incredibly lucky it came to pass, no doubt about it.

I agree, there were more than enough motivating factors to release her while they were still ahead. I also don't believe traffickers are necessarily killers (especially the bottoms in this industry). The victims are a commodity and worth much more alive than dead. IMO, the intense publicity would've thwarted their plans for trafficking. One of them may also have been wanting to negotiate for the ransom, while the other thought it was too risky.

As a side note, while remaining supportive of SP and all she has endured, I realize KP, the children and her family have also had their worlds turned upside down. KP mentioned in the 2020 interview that there was nothing he wouldn't have done to find SP (paraphrasing). If you speak to KP, I just wanted to relay that I support him 100% in doing just that. He may have had access to means that many families of missing do not, but I don't think anyone can fault him for utilizing every resource he had.

Do you have confirmation that SP volunteered for CASA? The VI said she had done the Turkey Trot for them regularly, but I've been curious as to how much she may have been involved with them.

I dont know other than its been mentioned a few times about the CASA run that she may have ran in.

I suspect it would be hard to find out since CASA may keep their volunteers anonymous for the most part.

Combine that with (possibly) a ST abduction gone bad, massive publicity of your captive, significant rewards for someone willing to turn you in and the fact that kidnapping is an 8 year prison term vs a lethal injection gig and you might be able to bake a cake, even with a number of other ingredients missing.

So are you telling us what happened, Lake? And are you basing that on police evidence you have seen, or a conversation with the victim? I know you can't answer, but I'm still asking, that's what investigators do....

The motive in this case is unknown and I have been struggling with why the female perps kidnapped her and may have even been part of what happened to her.

One thing someone else brought up made me think of a possible motive.

We know she volunteered for the CASA organization. And my understanding is the children in that organization sometimes are from families where they were abused or neglected. Which tells me that maybe the children were taken away from their moms and/or dads by child protective services.

So one possible motive could be a mom or dad or both that felt their child was getting too close a relationship to someone that now befriended them and if they got really upset about it and couldn't do anything about it since CASA and CPS were in control.

I've thought all along this was more of an angry, personal abduction as opposed to an impersonal money making venture due to her injuries.

What better way for an angry parent/guardian to get revenge?

But wouldn't that be investigated already?

I have read every post & I can't remember where I "heard" this...but, did KP really say that SP
would be home on Thanksgiving?

That was reported in a DM interview given by KP's biological father. As with most things reported by DM (and some things reported by KP's father!) I have a high degree of skepticism.

Lake if you can answer this- did Sherri say that both abductors beat and tortured her, or was it just on of them? Was there an alpha female of the two?

Who believes that the reverse ransom and/or its resultant publicity was directly responsible for SP's Thanksgiving Day release?

Who thinks the abductors accomplished their purpose?

I think the reverse ransom may have, in some perverse way, actually made them keep her longer. It's quite the coincidence that she was released shortly after the reverse ransom expired. Yes, it's ppossible the $100,000 reward scared them off, but I doubt it.

There's no way to prove or disprove it either way, unfortunately, at this point.

I do think whoever did this got what they wanted.

It makes me sick to think that these perps could get only eight years for all of the trauma and torture that they put this poor girl through.

But there's "humanity"!! (I couldn't resist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper