Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek:verreaction:I thought the thread from last night was still closed and I missed that there was a new one. I'll never catch up. :gaah:

Subscribing anyway. :facepalm:

It won't take long to catch up. Not long at all

Assuming she walked the route shown, she would have passed this sign. No great mystery as to how she knew which way was home.
attachment.php

Thanks for posting the pic, I don't know how so I just posted the link. These signs are fairly large and I'm assuming there may have been enough light from the "junkyard" to the left in the pic to illuminate the sign at that time of the morning. Lake16 is also thinking what I would: if I knew that was I5, with the orchards and the agriculture lands, I'd figure I was south of Redding somewhere.

The homes were dark and she was scared. She saw and heard vehicles on the freeway and headed towards them. She said she stopped on the middle of the overpass to try to figure out which way to go. She saw the church and tried to get into it with no luck. I do not know why video did not show her there according to LE. Perhaps the cameras are on motion sensors and somehow she didn't trigger them or there was a malfunction on the camera. Exiting the church she very well may have seen the "Redding" sign at the on ramp entrance. She has travelled I5 a lot , I5 north of Reddng is very different than I5 south of Redding due to the topography and vegetation. If someone told me they were on I5 and saw an orchard nearby like the one she would have passed near the drilling company I would immediately tell them they were South of Redding somewhere.

She also may be totally mistaken due to her condition at that time.

Do you think her mental condition could have caused her to be confused as to where she was dropped off? Because looking at streetview, it is impossible to see any vehicles on I-5 until you are right at the entrance ramp to I-5. Even from the drilling company it is impossible to see cars on I-5. Though I'm sure the sound of the traffic does carry for some distance. It's still seems kind of strange that she would have walked down a dark wooded road toward the sound of the traffic, when there were nice looking houses right next to the side of the road, that she could have knocked on a door.

As I have already said, I'm not surprised the church cameras didn't pick her up. Other cases have shown they have limited usefulness especially in the dark. But I'm still wondering if she could have been dropped of closer to the Interstate then she thought. Because if she could see vehicles on the Interstate from where she was dropped off, then I'm pretty sure she was released on one of the I-5 ramps, or maybe one of the service roads. Not a half mile away on the other side of a hill with a lot of trees.

Thanks for posting the pic, I don't know how so I just posted the link. These signs are fairly large and I'm assuming there may have been enough light from the "junkyard" to the left in the pic to illuminate the sign at that time of the morning. Lake16 is also thinking what I would: if I knew that was I5, with the orchards and the agriculture lands, I'd figure I was south of Redding somewhere.

Good point about the light. There is a yard light, well situated to illuminate the sign.

I've noticed Lake has replied to many questions with "can't answer due to ongoing investigation". Maybe this was already answered but I was curious how Lake knows what details are and aren't okay to share publicly. Is Lake using his/her best judgement or did a detective meet with the Papini's friends and family go over what details could be made public?

Guessing that what is said is only what KP "authorizes". Just My Opinion

OK, I agree, she could have seen the sign for Redding. But Lake16 said she could also see vehicles on the Interstate. Looking at that picture it is clearly impossible to see any vehicles on I-5 from that area. To say nothing about all the trees that would have been between her and the Interstate, if in fact she was dropped off a half mile to the west. I'm still finding it very difficult to believe that she was released on Road 17.

Also can depend on the model of the phone. We have very poor reception at our house. My phone will only occasionally ring while inside and I have to go outside to talk. My son has the same carrier. His old phone had the same problems I did but when he went to newer phone (and more expensive) he could both make and receive call inside.

OT

I have the same issue and am wondering if someone can answer a question about smart phones and poor cell tower reception.

I dont live near a major city and so I typically have very poor reception on towers.

I recently got a smart phone for the first time and I can get one or two bars reception if I go to the back room, stand on the bed, face the wall, and touch the TV antenea with my other arm. LOL

Seriously though I was reading the manual and how the phones can use the wireless router through the internet for certain features and am wondering if the cell phones do any calling or receiving through the router's internet connection when there is bad cell tower reception?

So, if this was a random crime of opportunity, do people think that these women were driving around the area hoping for a woman alone?
Nobody else was ever approached AFAIK.
Do you believe they drove the area more than once looking for a victim or got lucky on their first drive through?

A "crime of opportunity" by definition means they were not planning the crime out or looking for a target that moment. It would mean they were in the area for another reason and happened to see Sherri alone and took the "opportunity" to abduct her. They may have had the means to abduct her and hold her from previous similar crimes or they may have improvised with no clear plan on how they would restrain her and some how they got lucky to get out of the area unseen.
To answer your question though, IF this was random and not targeted, I think that it was an crime of opportunity. I don't think they knew her, if it was random. I also don't think they were cruising for a random woman to abduct and got lucky. They may have abducted before, however, and thought there was a market or thought they had a buyer for someone like Sherri when they saw her jogging (and they messed up and couldn't sell her because of all the publicity). But if this was a crime of opportunity it also would mean that LE may be able to catch the perps by finding them on other footage in the area committing other crimes or finding people who had other reasons to visit the area matching their description. Maybe two parolees who have a history of doing this many years ago were in Sherri's neighborhood visiting a family member or a friend that day. Maybe they were doing a legit job like cleaning houses or landscaping. And maybe they recently got out of prison but still had contacts in their old "business" and "took the opportunity" to grab her. IDK. I still go back and forth between random and targeted. But if it was random, I don't think they planned very well and I think they were forced to release her from the poor planning and at least one of them not being willing to kill her. JMO.

Do you think her mental condition could have caused her to be confused as to where she was dropped off? Because looking at streetview, it is impossible to see any vehicles on I-5 until you are right at the entrance ramp to I-5. Even from the drilling company it is impossible to see cars on I-5. Though I'm sure the sound of the traffic does carry for some distance. It's still seems kind of strange that she would have walked down a dark wooded road toward the sound of the traffic, when there were nice looking houses right next to the side of the road, that she could have knocked on a door.
(snipped for brevity)

Not having studied the google maps, I'll ask this: is it possible that she could at least see headlights? At 4 am it might be difficult to see the cars themselves but when she said she could see and hear she might have meant the lights.

As for skipping the houses... after having been presumably confined in some space for 3 weeks, maybe she wanted to stay out in the open air thinking that was safer than a random house. If I were abducted by strangers, I think my mindset would be that bad dudes are everywhere, so at least stay out in more public view. Also the tendency to be a "good girl" and not awaken a homeowner, whereas people on the road are awake already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SUVs in mountainous areas have terrible gas mileage. I would believe LE would inquire gas station operators to take a look at the video surveillance in return for business filling their marked vehicles.

Maybe two parolees who have a history of doing this many years ago were in Sherri's neighborhood visiting a family member or a friend that day.

There is no way two parolees in California would engage in such an expedition. The DNA of all parolees in California are on CODIS. Also, never get in trouble in Orange County--they have their own DNA bank.

The homes were dark and she was scared. She saw and heard vehicles on the freeway and headed towards them. She said she stopped on the middle of the overpass to try to figure out which way to go. She saw the church and tried to get into it with no luck. I do not know why video did not show her there according to LE. Perhaps the cameras are on motion sensors and somehow she didn't trigger them or there was a malfunction on the camera. Exiting the church she very well may have seen the "Redding" sign at the on ramp entrance. She has travelled I5 a lot , I5 north of Reddng is very different than I5 south of Redding due to the topography and vegetation. If someone told me they were on I5 and saw an orchard nearby like the one she would have passed near the drilling company I would immediately tell them they were South of Redding somewhere.

She also may be totally mistaken due to her condition at that time.

BBM. I need some help clarifying something. I may have missed this because I am no behind but the only indication that I have seen so far they did not find anything in the church video came from a church member interview. Has LE confirmed that church member's statement? How do we know that she was not seen on video according to LE? Below is the only statement I have seen on the video from the church. TIA to anyone who can give a LE statement on the video.

Saturday they reviewed surveillance video from a church, the closest building to where Papini was found. Church members say there wasn’t much to see. They didn’t find anything.
https://kobi5.com/news/police-continue-to-investigate-sherri-papini-case-41011/

Sorry if this has already been posted but Nancy Grace is on the Dr. Oz show talking about the case right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way two parolees in California would engage in such an expedition. The DNA of all parolees in California are on CODIS. Also, never get in trouble in Orange County--they have their own DNA bank.

Just because their DNA is on file, it doesn't stop them from committing more crimes. It just makes it easier to catch them if they leave DNA behind committing new crimes. Besides, what if they are from a neighboring state without that law? Or from across the country or another country completely?

BBM. I need some help clarifying something. I may have missed this because I am no behind but the only indication that I have seen so far they did not find anything in the church video came from a church member interview. Has LE confirmed that church member's statement? How do we know that she was not seen on video according to LE? Below is the only statement I have seen on the video from the church. TIA to anyone who can give a LE statement on the video.

https://kobi5.com/news/police-continue-to-investigate-sherri-papini-case-41011/

KP said that she tried to get into the church, so wouldn't there have to be something on the cameras? So it was either a different building or it's just another detail LE is withholding.

KP said that she tried to get into the church, so wouldn't there have to be something on the cameras? So it was either a different building or it's just another detail LE is withholding.

I'm guessing lE is withholding. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member