Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what model iPhone Sherri had?
If she had a 6s or 6s plus, they have the ability to use thumbprint scanning to open the home screen. The thumbprint must be Sherri's or the phone will not wake from "sleep mode." Thumbprint scanning does have to be enabled in the settings.
So if someone broke into her home, and wanted to attempt to use her phone to send a fake text, they would first have to get the phone out of "sleep mode" by pushing the home button. If they used their thumb to attempt this, not only would the phone not open but it would register as a failure to open due to a non-matching thumb print.
That attempt would show when LE did forensics on the phone.

I know there are alot of "ifs" in my post, but there is a chance that they know someone other than Sherri attempted to use her phone and they also know at exactly what time this was attempted....

That is only if she programmed the phone to require touch to open. I considered bypassing that in favor of just requiring a passcode so that my son could play games on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that's possible about the pinging. There are few cell towers there and no matter where she was in that area it would probably ping off the same cell tower. The phone itself, however, might show her movement that day.

I am editing this because I realize that she had an IPhone which might have GPS that is always enabled. l know they can ping it live but don't know that they can go back in time.

Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Yes, they can. And it would also ping from any wifi spot it encountered.

*Edit - ping wasn't the right word...I'm trying to say, the carrier has the info on pings that go back a certain number of days as well as ips of any router that the phone communicated with.

The most straightforward explanation for the phone being drooped/discarded along her known jogging route is that it happened when Sherri was abducted. Other explanations, while possible, IMO, begin to get less credible the more you examine them. But that's just my opinion.

If Sherri was abducted at home, I doubt the abductor took the phone with him and then tossed it. Possible, but not likely, IMO. Nor do I think Sherri planted the phone there. If she wanted to pretend an abduction took place, she could've come up with a much better plan, one less ambiguous. The idea that her abductor spent hours in her home before whisking Sherri away also seems far-fetched. Without evidence that some stranger was in her home, I don't buy it.

It also doesn't look like she voluntarily left with a secret lover. Surely, LE would've found phone records or texts that connected her with someone else. Her life, from what we've been told, was wrapped up in being a mom.

If she just left on her own, planning to start a new life alone, she didn't seem to prepare herself with money, clothing, transportation, etc. Possible, but not likely.

The other viable possibility is suicide. But why go somewhere and do it where she wouldn't be found? And why wouldn't she just leave the phone at home? Again, suicide is possible, but unless we learn something specific about mental health concerns, I think it's unlikely.

If we take the text to her husband at face value, she apparently planned to be home at lunchtime. She wanted to know if he, depending on his schedule, might be home for lunch, too. Keith didn't express any surprise about the content of her text. So, it must be something that happened from time to time.

If she was wrapping presents (plural), she may have noticed the time and figured, if she hurried, she could do a quick jog and get back before lunch. If, by then, she heard back from Keith, she could plan lunch accordingly (and finish wrapping the presents).

While out, some people cutting down a tree saw her jogging (around 11 am as reported by Keith). Then, sometime shortly before noon, she was abducted near the mailboxes, dropping the phone during the struggle. (LE would know if that was the last time her phone was used.)

Abductions can happen so quickly. If Sherri was caught off-guard, someone could have gotten her into a vehicle under restraint (perhaps threatening her with a weapon) in no time at all. Except for the phone and earbuds, she disappears without a trace.

I don't think that's possible about the pinging. There are few cell towers there and no matter where she was in that area it would probably ping off the same cell tower. The phone itself, however, might show her movement that day.

I am editing this because I realize that she had an IPhone which might have GPS that is always enabled. l know they can ping it live but don't know that they can go back in time.

Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Yes, an iPhone can track your every move but you must turn must be enabled in settings.
Here's an article that explains:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterso...-this-is-how-t?utm_term=.mwxyQ0O6R#.jrG0NlkvM

I think it was an abduction too, but I question if someone close to the family arranged it for money. The offer of a ransom by a complete stranger who also arranged to have a professional negotiator just throws me off. Also because it's not common to have an unknown philanthropist convinced of an abduction to offer ransom money. I would think if this person liked to offer money to missing persons cases as his 'charity', we would of heard of this in prior cases.

To presume the phone was dropped during an abduction is contrary to probability.

To presume the phone was dropped during an abduction is contrary to probability.

Why? If she struggles for a few moments with her abductor, she might drop whatever was in her hands. How is that improbable?

Why? If she struggles for a few moments with her abductor, she might drop whatever was in her hands. How is that improbable?
Because it is unlikely that she was abducted.

I think you're looking at it from a different perspective. If you find a cell phone on the side of the road, it's highly improbable that it was dropped during a stranger abduction.

BUT. When you look at this case and realize the husband has been cleared, she is unlikely to leave, witnesses saw her jogging and now no one knows where she is - and her cell phone is found on the road on her jogging route, it suddenly becomes very probable that it was dropped during an abduction.

As rare as stranger abductions are, they do occur, and this one appears to be just that.

Any other explanation you kind of have to work at too hard to make it work out logically.

Is it known how the phone was found? i.e. was it neatly place out of sight or found in the middle of the road broken?

I think you're looking at it from a different perspective. If you find a cell phone on the side of the road, it's highly improbable that it was dropped during a stranger abduction.

BUT. When you look at this case and realize the husband has been cleared, she is unlikely to leave, witnesses saw her jogging and now no one knows where she is - and her cell phone is found on the road on her jogging route, it suddenly becomes very probable that it was dropped during an abduction.

As rare as stranger abductions are, they do occur, and this one appears to be just that.

Any other explanation you kind of have to work at too hard to make it work out logically.
Well, it's easier for me to imagine she ran away and left her phone in a place she believed her husband would look than it is to imagine a stranger, a struggle, and a snatching.

Yes, they can. And it would also ping from any wifi spot it encountered.

*Edit - ping wasn't the right word...I'm trying to say, the carrier has the info on pings that go back a certain number of days as well as ips of any router that the phone communicated with.

I believe that the original poster is correct. Pinging (when a phone communicates with a cell tower) is not a very precise way to track a phone. As she said if there are few cell towers in the area, Sherri could have traveled 5 miles but would still be pinging to the same cell tower.
Regarding phones communicating with wifi signals... This would in theory be correct, however, the vast majority of wifi signals are password protected so her phone would not be able to connect to the WiFi signal by merely being within signal strength.

Under the circumstances, yes, it seems the most likely explanation. But I'm not ruling out any other explanations. I just find them less likely, based on what little we know. ;)

I think maybe it all went down like the case with Mickey Shunick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it's easier for me to imagine she ran away and left her phone in a place she believed her husband would look than it is to imagine a stranger, a struggle, and a snatching.

Why? I'm honestly curious.

Sure, it's possible. But why not leave the phone at home? And where do you think she went?

I don't mean this question as a challenge. I am truly curious what the probability of Sherri being abducted is. Also curious what the probability that if she was abducted, that she would still be alive.
Do you have any statistics to back up your statement?

I agree. This is why it would be good to know more about the 2:00 sighting. Was it a reliable source that saw someone that looked like SP? Or could it be a suspicious source that needed to account for his whereabouts earlier in the day? I'm just not pinning everything on this sighting. IMO, she went for a run after texting KP and was abducted on her way back home.

The most straightforward explanation for the phone being drooped/discarded along her known jogging route is that it happened when Sherri was abducted. Other explanations, while possible, IMO, begin to get less credible the more you examine them. But that's just my opinion.

If Sherri was abducted at home, I doubt the abductor took the phone with him and then tossed it. Possible, but not likely, IMO. Nor do I think Sherri planted the phone there. If she wanted to pretend an abduction took place, she could've come up with a much better plan, one less ambiguous. The idea that her abductor spent hours in her home before whisking Sherri away also seems far-fetched. Without evidence that some stranger was in her home, I don't buy it.

It also doesn't look like she voluntarily left with a secret lover. Surely, LE would've found phone records or texts that connected her with someone else. Her life, from what we've been told, was wrapped up in being a mom.

If she just left on her own, planning to start a new life alone, she didn't seem to prepare herself with money, clothing, transportation, etc. Possible, but not likely.

The other viable possibility is suicide. But why go somewhere and do it where she wouldn't be found? And why wouldn't she just leave the phone at home? Again, suicide is possible, but unless we learn something specific about mental health concerns, I think it's unlikely.

If we take the text to her husband at face value, she apparently planned to be home at lunchtime. She wanted to know if he, depending on his schedule, might be home for lunch, too. Keith didn't express any surprise about the content of her text. So, it must be something that happened from time to time.

If she was wrapping presents (plural), she may have noticed the time and figured, if she hurried, she could do a quick jog and get back before lunch. If, by then, she heard back from Keith, she could plan lunch accordingly (and finish wrapping the presents).

While out, some people cutting down a tree saw her jogging (around 11 am as reported by Keith). Then, sometime shortly before noon, she was abducted near the mailboxes, dropping the phone during the struggle. (LE would know if that was the last time her phone was used.)

Abductions can happen so quickly. If Sherri was caught off-guard, someone could have gotten her into a vehicle under restraint (perhaps threatening her with a weapon) in no time at all. Except for the phone and earbuds, she disappears without a trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61