GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the husband had any idea about what was going on when she was missing. She was with her ex after all and if he had known that I don't think he would go along with her. I would guess he figured out something was wrong with her story after she returned home. She probably sat in a dark room when the ex was home to carry on the ruse she was an abused wife. She watched TV and did anything else she wanted when the ex was at work or not at home IMHO. If she was seeing a therapist for her PTSD from her experiences it is likely she came clean to her. Would the therapist have to disclose what she discussed with her client?

I don't think the husband had any idea about what was going on when she was missing. She was with her ex after all and if he had known that I don't think he would go along with her. I would guess he figured out something was wrong with her story after she returned home. She probably sat in a dark room when the ex was home to carry on the ruse she was an abused wife. She watched TV and did anything else she wanted when the ex was at work or not at home IMHO. If she was seeing a therapist for her PTSD from her experiences it is likely she came clean to her. Would the therapist have to disclose what she discussed with her client?

No. The therapist could not disclose what she said. However, the therapist would be complicit in fraud if they kept accepting victim’s assistance funds after knowing it was a hoax.

SP is a chronic liar, it appears. I do not think these types come clean to anyone.

I wonder if Sherri had the same therapist throughout or did she have to shop around to find one who was supportive of her claims.

I gave this tale the stink-eye from the beginning, and I'm certainly not a therapist, but I do have a decent BS meter.

She reminds me a bit of Tecia Staunch. The pretend people that only exist in their head.

moo

Oh no she’s not able to eat jail food. I sense another drama about to unfold.
Even though she had no problem when she hung around and “ate food” with her ex. He did say that she limited intake in order to appear emaciated-half a banana instead of a whole. It didn’t seem to be about allergies then. What a piece of work.

Couple of observations from:
https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1479901/download

pg 29 line 21: Sept 26, 2019 SCSO requests familial DNA search
pg 29 line 23: March 19, 2020 the CA DOJ Familial Search Committee voted to release a familial search result

Not sure how long it took to determine the results once the request was submitted, but a six month period seems fairly long for such a high profile case as this.

And the Familial Search Committee "voted" to release the results? Never knew a committee like this existed and that a vote had to be taken to release the results. What criteria do they use to either approve or disapprove the release of the results? Did it take six months to determine the results? Or did it take six months to vote to release the results?

OMG this chic-what a freaking loser. Glad she is being held responsible (hoping she does some serious time in the clink), concerned about her children as well. What must it be like to be raised by someone like that.

I think it's possible that SP saw KP on tv saying she would be home by Thanksgiving and decided to make it true in order to make her reappearance more dramatic. I don't think it points to KP being involved at all. Although quite frankly I found his behavior a little odd throughout the whole ordeal.

I think most husbands know their wives better than anyone else. I feel like he may have suspected she had pulled a stunt and just wanted it to end.

BBM thats my speculation as well. he knows who he married, and i kinda suspect he reported her missing to put her on blast. MOO

Houseguest Overstaying Welcome?
This! I'm willing to bet the ex could not wait to take her back.
All the stuff she asked him to do to her, he was probably freaking out and WANTED her to go back to hubby. MOO
@gngr~snap bbm In reading first sentence, I initially thought it meant ex BF taking Papini back as his GF. Took me a sec. to realize it meant ex BF was soon ready to take her back to her husband. I had not thought of that angle before. Friend or no friend, who would welcome her as a house guest?:eek:

Reminds me of O. Henry's 1907 classic short story "The Ransom of Red Chief" in which
two men "kidnap, and demand a ransom for, a wealthy Alabamian's son. Eventually, the men are driven crazy by the boy's spoiled and hyperactive behavior, and they pay the boy's father to take him back.";)
The Ransom of Red Chief - Wikipedia

(CNN)Sherri Papini, the Northern California woman accused of faking her own kidnapping in 2016, was driven by her own "narcissistic behavior" in the hoax, Shasta County Sheriff Michael Johnson told Good Morning America on Monday.

"It is a case of calculated deception driven, I think, by her narcissistic behavior, and it really had an impact on this community and nationwide as far as that goes," Johnson said.
The comments came days after Papini was arrested and charged with making false statements to a federal law enforcement officer and mail fraud, the Department of Justice said in a news release. Further details included in an affidavit illuminate how an ex-boyfriend helped her in the hoax and then kept silent for years, until authorities finally tracked him down in August 2020.
Sherri Papini: California woman accused of hoax kidnapping was driven by 'narcissistic behavior,' sheriff says - CNN

"Releasing Results"???
Couple of observations from:https://www.justice.gov/usao-edca/press-release/file/1479901/download
pg 29 line 21: Sept 26, 2019 SCSO requests familial DNA search
pg 29 line 23: March 19, 2020 the CA DOJ Familial Search Committee voted to release a familial search result
Not sure how long it took to determine the results once the request was submitted, but a six month period seems fairly long for such a high profile case as this.
And the Familial Search Committee "voted" to release the results? Never knew a committee like this existed and that a vote had to be taken to release the results. What criteria do they use to either approve or disapprove the release of the results? Did it take six months to determine the results? Or did it take six months to vote to release the results?
@Logansden77 Good questions. Am I interpreting ^ correctly--- part of question is whether CA DOJ BFS releases results to media or gen. public?
From quickly skimming some info* imo the reference applies to CA.'s DOJ BFS releasing results to LE agency which submitted the DNA sample & requested the analysis. That is, not to media or gen. public. I could be misinterpreting, would welcome clarification or corrections.

I did not see anything about timing. Not providing specific answers, but offering some links about the process. Hope this helps.

· Introduction
· Overview
· Process
· Process, cont.
· CODIS Searching Criteria
· Examples of Leads
· National Implementation
· Considerations
· Investigation Aided
· Statutory Purpose
· State Statutory Authorization
· Privacy Rights
· Genetic Surveillance
· Database Composition
* Familial Searching • California’s Process
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/bfs/fsc-mou-06072019.pdf?

Last edited:
Am I interpreting ^ correctly--- part of question is whether CA DOJ BFS releases results to media or gen. public?
From quickly skimming some info* imo the reference applies to CA.'s DOJ BFS releasing results to LE agency which submitted the DNA sample & requested the analysis. That is, not to media or gen. public.

Thanks for the links. I read through them all, and several more.
My main question was the release of the results to LE, so that SCSO could further pursue the DNA found on Papini's clothes. I am probably being naive to think all it takes is a push of a computer button to search a database or databases. But it took six months from the request to receiving the results.

Also, in reading through your links and others, no mention was made that a "vote" needs to be taken to release the resuts, as identified on pg 29 line 23 of the Criminal Complaint - ("CA DOJ Familial Search Committee voted to release a familial search result"). I find it interesting that the process to receive the results required a "vote".

I too was interested in the process and found this: (2016 stats for California on pg 14- FDS= Familial DNA Search)
https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/251081.pdf

Document Title: Study of Familial DNA Searching Policies and Practices: Case Study Brief Series

"The CA DOJ Familial Search Committee coordinates the FDS process across the state. Seven members comprise this independent committee, including Jan Bashinski lab staff, Deputy Attorney General, state prosecutor, and state and local-level investigators. CA DOJ created the Committee to review all requests made to the state lab to conduct FDS through the lens of the state’s policy. Because California has put a strong emphasis on ensuring each familial search upholds the standards of the state policy and does not “I think California’s program should be a model for states who want to implement familial searching.” This project was supported by Award No. 2013-R2-CX-0013, awarded by the National Institute of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the U.S. Department of Justice or the roundtable participants. 17 infringe on any individual rights, the Committee is intimately involved in every step of the search process. During the course of an FDS case, the Committee may convene multiple times in order to vote on certain criteria or review information.* The Committee and its members are dedicated to ensuring FDS is done judiciously and that all key players are kept informed throughout the process. Committee meetings are held in-person at the Jan Bashinski lab and the majority of committee members, regardless of where they reside, participate in the meeting in-person. Members said they worked well together and did not point to any barriers or challenges when convening to vote on a component of the familial search process. A significant feature of the Committee is that every member must be in agreement before a stage of the familial search process can proceed. Therefore having a positive, collaborative relationship aids the group in making decisions and moving the process forward."...

*bolded by me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member