GUILTY CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, fake abduction Nov 2016, ARREST MAR 2022 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited:

Buried in the story is she continues to tell people she was kidnapped!

... and I imagine she always will.

SP strikes me as someone who, given the choice between fessing up sincerely or simply doubling down is going to find a way to double down.

9/14/22

Sherri Papini, the California woman who pleaded guilty to faking her own kidnapping and lying about it to the FBI, should be sentenced to eight months in prison, prosecutors say.

"A lesser sentence, such as the one month of imprisonment recommended by probation or home detention in lieu of incarceration, is not sufficient to achieve the purposes of sentencing," prosecutors wrote in a sentencing memorandum filed Monday in U.S. District Court for Eastern California. They also recommended three years of supervised released after time served.

Papini pleaded guilty in April to two counts of a 35-count indictment, admitting to mail fraud and lying to a law enforcement officer.

The charges didn't stem from faking her abduction but rather from the lies she continued to tell years after she returned.

9/14/22

Papini’s attorney William Portanova said in a sentencing memorandum for the defense that Papini should be sentenced to a “term of no more than eight months with one month in custody and seven months of home detention under appropriate terms and conditions.”

In part of his argument, Portanova suggested that his client has already been punished plenty in the court of public opinion for her years-long “lie.”

“Ms. Papini maintained the lie for years thereafter, terrified that she had actually destroyed the one thing in her life that brought her true love and happiness, her family, desperately praying that the day of discovery would never come. Once discovered, she lied again until there was nowhere else to go but to admit the truth of the matter,” the defense wrote. “That day of reckoning has arrived, and anyone who cares to read about it knows the darkest depths of her sickest mind. The most shameful part of her is now a matter of public discourse, and she sees that knowledge every day in the eyes of most of the people she encounters. But the real pain is knowing the hurt she has caused so many people, and that she must spend the rest of her life trying to repair the damage she has done to her children.”

Portanova said that his client’s name is “now synonymous with this awful hoax.”

“The lies are out, the guilt admitted, the shame universally seen,” he said, arguing that the pre-sentencing punishment is “already intense and feels like a life sentence.”

Defense attorney: “Ms. Papini maintained the lie for years thereafter...Once discovered, she lied again until there was nowhere else to go... anyone who cares to read about it knows the darkest depths of her sickest mind...the real pain is knowing the hurt she has caused so many people”
Judge to prosecution - "You may begin your rebuttal."
Prosecution: "Nothing to add. The prosecution rests."

Eight months is a small price to pay.

Was she ever examined by a
independent Psychologist? Diagnosis?
The presentencing report submitted to the federal judge prior to the Court imposing the defendant's sentence should answer that question so I hope we learn if she received an evaluation above and beyond the mental health services she conned out of the state!

IMO, considering that SP should also have been charged with a hate crime, eight months is a GIFT!

- Portanova claimed in a sentencing memorandum that his client has already faced enough scrutiny and punishment after being slammed by the public for her decisions, Law & Crime reported.

- In part of his argument, Portanova suggested that his client has already been punished plenty in the court of public opinion for her years-long “lie.”

Citing the "court of public opinion" and suggesting punishment in a true court of law should be set aside, is the most ridiculous thing I've heard (outside of Iris Eytan's defense of Barry Morphew) all year!!

I don't know, most of us have a hard time dredging up sympathy for someone who is "suffering" due to an elaborate hoax of their own making. Worse yet - lying about it for six years afterwards, while reaping financial rewards.

Maybe off-grid living would be a good solution for her after she's released ...

9/17/22

California
mother Sherri Papini, who mimicked the plot of Gone Girl, had a Bible verse about kidnapping branded on her shoulder after returning from her own self-abduction in 2016.

Papini, 39, disappeared from her Redding, California, neighborhood while out for a jog. The married mom of two returned weeks later almost hundreds of miles away 'dazed, battered and bruised,' and insisted she was held captive for 22 days by two Latina women.

[..]

Papini pleaded guilty to faking her own kidnapping and lying to the FBI and now faces jail. She will be sentenced on September 19.

The documentary series premiers on September 18 at 10pm ET on HLN.

Kidnap Hoaxer Sherri Papini's Lawyer Asks for Minimal Prison Time: Embarrassment 'Feels Like a Life Sentence'

A lawyer for Sherri Papini is asking for minimal prison time for the California mom who claimed to have been abducted at gunpoint but later admitted it was a hoax.

In a sentencing memorandum, Papini's attorney William Portanova urged the court to follow the recommendation of the United States Probation Office and sentence Papini to one month in custody and seven months of home detention.

Papini is scheduled to be sentenced Monday morning in U.S. District Court in Sacramento.

Same article linked above:

Text of the verse, Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 21:16 - New International Version:

Exodus 21:16, New International Version​

16 “Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession.

So is Papini saying that she deserves the death penalty???

jmho ymmv lrr

Text of the verse, Bible Gateway passage: Exodus 21:16 - New International Version:

16 “Anyone who kidnaps someone is to be put to death, whether the victim has been sold or is still in the kidnapper’s possession.

jmho ymmv lrr
Are they saying that the entire sentence was branded into her back?
Is that even possible with the tools that they had (a hobby woodburning tool, IIRC).
I thought the boyfriend was reticent in doing the branding - if so, how could he have persisted through the entire sentence?
Plus, wouldn't it point to him - in principle couldn't he be fingered as the kidnapper?
This doesn't make sense to me (yet).

Are they saying that the entire sentence was branded into her back?
Is that even possible with the tools that they had (a hobby woodburning tool, IIRC).
I thought the boyfriend was reticent in doing the branding - if so, how could he have persisted through the entire sentence?
Plus, wouldn't it point to him - in principle couldn't he be fingered as the kidnapper?
This doesn't make sense to me (yet).

IIRC, the brand is Exodus 21:16, done with a leather working tool from a hobby store?

When Papini re-appeared, the brand was considered 'unreadable' by a news source, no link, don't remember which news source, sorry.

Anyone able to find that?

Anybody? Buehler? Anybody?

jmho ymmv lrr

IIRC, the brand is Exodus 21:16, done with a leather working tool from a hobby store?

When Papini re-appeared, the brand was considered 'unreadable' by a news source, no link, don't remember which news source, sorry.

Anyone able to find that?

Anybody? Buehler? Anybody?

jmho ymmv lrr
IDK - this story is so bizarre. All the people are bizarre.
It seems to me that the boyfriend has some culpability in all of this.
I hope that he is not out of the legal woods. Sheesh.

jmho ymmv lrr
Since she literally kidnapped herself, I just have to wonder if this particular verse wasn't chosen for a potential future claim of some sort of mental break, to avoid any responsibility. I mean, this lying scammer knew all along exactly what she was doing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee
Back