Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #11 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is now they are telling the whole word how edgy and sharp they are...not just putting it on for their friends at school. The dangers of the internet have been an issue for almost 2 decades now and still don't seem to sink in, or be stressed enough for parents re: their kids. How many cases have we seen this year alone on WS where a girl is missing and the first info states that she may be with a man she met online? And there are probably many more we don't hear about. Not saying this is what happened with Sierra, but she was sure making herself a target. I am not picking on her at all, as I read all the back on her twitter and she seems underneath it all to be a sweetheart and often sad, but the surface is what the creeps see who are looking for girls, victims, whatever...JMO

While I agree that the internet can be used by predators, I don't see any statistical evidence that there has been a rise in violent crime because of the internet.

In fact, violent crime has been trending downwards in the last 20 years.

One big, HUGE difference now from when I grew up in the late 60s/early 70s is that people talk a lot more about sexual assaults. There's a lot more recognition.

When I was raped as a 12 year old in that time period, I literally had no vocabulary to describe what the man who raped me was doing to me. None of my age cohort friends would have had the words for it, either (in other words, I was not some weirdo at that time).

Molestation and rape were just not something people talked to their children about. And it was largely unacknowledged by the culture at large; it was dismissed as a "women's issue" in the same tone of voice that employment inequality was a "women's issue" rather than an issue of fairness or civil rights that should be of concern to everyone.

I'm not sure how to say this, so I will just say it and hope that people will understand: predators are (and always have been) predators. If the predator who grabbed Sierra did find her via the internet, that doesn't mean that s/he would not have grabbed someone if there were no internet. A predator is a walking crime looking for an opportunity to happen.

Yes, if the predator who grabbed Sierra found her via the internet had not found her that way, Sierra would not be missing.

But some other victim who fit the predator's profile would be missing instead.

That is the nature of predators. If they can't hunt using one method, they won't give up on hunting, they will just shift to a different method. They will find a way.

I wonder if one of the people monitoring the social media didnt do it by accident, they'd be logged in ready to receive all the @mentions and dms, I bet she still gets lots of them from her friends ... many times people enter google searches into FB status messages etc!

*snip*

I'm not sure how to say this, so I will just say it and hope that people will understand: predators are (and always have been) predators. If the predator who grabbed Sierra did find her via the internet, that doesn't mean that s/he would not have grabbed someone if there were no internet. A predator is a walking crime looking for an opportunity to happen.

Yes, if the predator who grabbed Sierra found her via the internet had not found her that way, Sierra would not be missing.

But some other victim who fit the predator's profile would be missing instead.

That is the nature of predators. If they can't hunt using one method, they won't give up on hunting, they will just shift to a different method. They will find a way.

I agree. I went through Sierra's tweets and pictures and none of them had the location on that I found. A stranger who found her online would have had to determine where she was at a point in time, maybe her school or whatever and find her there - and I didn't read thru everything but she wasn't too clumsy in that regard, tho someone says she gave out her number once? Then they'd have to follow her home at some point and then learn her routine, etc. It is so much more likely in my mind that they came by her as a victim by actually seeing her or knowing her rather than finding one Sierra amongst tens of thousands of teens online.

That said I do think someone's social media accounts could fuel an obsession and provide lots of fodder for knowing someone's comings and goings. But that could be the guy you sit next to in English you friended or if your account is open, someone who finds out your name from another acquaintance etc

One or two observations.....

At 15 you live totally for the now in your peer group. S has a crush on this Tyler guy, they like to play ghetto, the music video is quite OTT exaggerated maybe even tongue in cheek? I am NOT saying I agree with it in any way, shape or form but teenagers do not see the music as glorifying rape etc etc They see it as cool and edgy... Her Tumblr account has images from one of the music videos depicting drug taking and sex. Her friends make the connection straight away... an outsider sees this and goes "OMG how screwed up is this kid???"

Remember Madonna shocking the 80's, Cher banned on MTV for being half naked, The Sex Pistols, Prince (particularly the sone "Get Off- 23 positions in a 1 night stand") ? All of which I listened to at 15 and scandalized my parents lol.

The thing is- with the internet kids are a lot more open- we shocked in our day... but there was no digital copy of it for the world to see. Oh the naked women? Not a lesbian IMO- think more along the lines of tattoos and "thinspiration"

Finally- that being said... I was up all night reading her Twitter and I get the impression that there was nothing vulnerable about Sierra at all. She has ABSOLUTELY no problem standing up for herself when anyone (and a few seem to have) crossed her. She appears very fiesty and at times aggressive. I make this observation to back up the assumption that she wouldn't be an easy target for a perp looking for a vulnerable target. I think if she was approached and knew she was in trouble she would put up a fight IMO. Naturally we have no idea what situation she was in and how she would have reacted...

I still am confused about her MOTHER'S REACTIONS. I would be crazy and everywhere.

Absolutely everywhere. SCREAMING.

WHY ARE HER PARENTS. not doing this????????????

Just a rough count, going through links from the timeline thread, Marlene and Steve have spoken to the media over 40 times in the 33 days since Sierra went missing.

Observations or opinions maybe a little of both.
I have been keeping up with S.L. for about a week. Even though S. has been missing for a month the forensic evidence that the LEO has released to the media and to the public gives very little concrete things to make observations and judgements about.

One thing for sure that makes me ill is the value judgements that have been placed on S.L. and M.L. I am not a parent. I have never raised children. But for me to judge someone else without walking in their shoes is just wrong. It reminds me of the Celina Cass abduction and murder. I guess if their is nothing concrete to comment on then make moral or ethical observations is the next best thing.

I am very thankful for the moderators and others at WS that have maintained a great deal of civility when comes to the S.L. parents. I will not mention the other forum that I was reading tonight/this morning but they have been observing the words and mannerism of M.L. and her BF. This forum has just about convicted M.L. and are just ready to lick their chops as soon as LEO arrest them. I know it is early in the process but I have not seen or heard or read anything that would justify these attitudes.

I agree. I went through Sierra's tweets and pictures and none of them had the location on that I found. A stranger who found her online would have had to determine where she was at a point in time, maybe her school or whatever and find her there - and I didn't read thru everything but she wasn't too clumsy in that regard, tho someone says she gave out her number once? Then they'd have to follow her home at some point and then learn her routine, etc. It is so much more likely in my mind that they came by her as a victim by actually seeing her or knowing her rather than finding one Sierra amongst tens of thousands of teens online.

That said I do think someone's social media accounts could fuel an obsession and provide lots of fodder for knowing someone's comings and goings. But that could be the guy you sit next to in English you friended or if your account is open, someone who finds out your name from another acquaintance etc
bbm
A Websleuth member, Sherbetjello, was able to take the photo of Sierra in that Shark's jersey and from it found the precise latitude and longitude and the precise address from where it was taken. If Sierra was posting on forums (violent gangsta music?) or private blogs, the forum/blog owners and moderators saw her IP number and could have quickly traced her exact latitude and longitude using her IP number. Computer hackers could likely do the same from sites where she posted.

Sherbetjello's post is post 641:
SPOTLIGHT CASE CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Santa Clara County, 16 March 2012 - #8 - Page 26 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Scary!

I still can't get past the 200 dollar purse and the books leaning against the shed and cactus. If it wasn't Sierra that did that, I can't imagine a killer bothering to do it and not just toss them, just like the cell phone was tossed. Just can't wrap my mind around it at all.

Teenage girls have a warped concept of money. I do not have a link for this, but I have a daughter. She thinks $350 for boots is "cheap" because she saw the same boots for $500 in NYC.

Why didn't WHOEVER put Sierra's things there tuck them INSIDE the shed though? It was open, and there were plenty of spots to stash them discreetly, out of the elements.

I am still bothered how one new article says we are talking to the hacker and the other one says we don't know who it is. Also does anyone els find it just a little be odd or weird that just on Monday night Marlene says " I miss her Rap Music " and two days later the tweet come out?
Just something to chew on while we start our day.

But how would it help LE if there wasn't any other DNA found?
And I thought they at least did say they found some helpful evidence...

If the used condoms do not have DNA, this could tell them something about the perp. To wit:

"Also useful to note is the fact that not all bodily fluids contain sufficient information to gain a DNA comparison. This happens when the individual is what is described as a 'non-secretor'. A 'non-secretor' will not have sufficient levels of protein in their bodily fluids to determine a match between blood and bodily fluids found at a crime scene. Of course the percentage of 'non-secretors' among the populous as opposed to 'secretors' is very small indeed."

http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/bodily-fluids-in-forensic-science.html

If the used condoms do not have DNA, this could tell them something about the perp. To wit:

"Also useful to note is the fact that not all bodily fluids contain sufficient information to gain a DNA comparison. This happens when the individual is what is described as a 'non-secretor'. A 'non-secretor' will not have sufficient levels of protein in their bodily fluids to determine a match between blood and bodily fluids found at a crime scene. Of course the percentage of 'non-secretors' among the populous as opposed to 'secretors' is very small indeed."

http://www.exploreforensics.co.uk/bodily-fluids-in-forensic-science.html

For some reason i do not think the condoms have anything at all to do with sierra.

I think they found some evidence on her clothing that is leading them in a certain direction but i dont think its dna. If you remember they did not show marlene the clothes and i think even tho they were neatly folded there is mud or grass or something that is leading them to these ponds ...

pensfan, I found that info - it was not a picture sierra sent, it is a photo of a photo taken *after* she was reported missing. I found it and then went thru all Sherman's self portraits for exif data, so I stand by my original statement. feel free to check back.

apologies for Sherman autocorrect above! Sierra!

I want to hear this song from Tyler the creator that the tweet comes from. Can anyone tell me what the name of the song is and what I would look under to find it?

I found it....reminds me of ICP actually.

For some reason i do not think the condoms have anything at all to do with sierra.

I think they found some evidence on her clothing that is leading them in a certain direction but i dont think its dna. If you remember they did not show marlene the clothes and i think even tho they were neatly folded there is mud or grass or something that is leading them to these ponds ...

I've been thinking along those same lines myself.

I want to hear this song from Tyler the creator that the tweet comes from. Can anyone tell me what the name of the song is and what I would look under to find it?

I found it....reminds me of ICP actually.

I'd just like to be clear on what is being said.

Song lyrics Sierra posted back in Dec. are being retweeted?
Were they part of the hacking incident?

Or people are commenting on a tweet that was found from back
then that is disturbing?

Thanks.

Would they really be searching the bottom of the ponds and reservoirs if they thought Sierra ran away and is alive? I don't think that's logical, personally. If they really think she's alive, they should probably search houses, buildings, homeless shelters, etc.

Exactly. Actions speak far louder than words and we have seen the areas they have searched in for weeks now.

The police will continue to say that Sierra can be out there some where alive until they find her body.

LE always says they are looking for an alive person even when they are not.

There will come a time they will move it from a missing persons case and say they believe Sierra has met with foul play but they usually do that months after the disappearence and not being able to find Sierra.

Steve and Marlene are at the point they just want to find Sierra one way or the other, imo.

IMO

I thought of something I haven't seen anyone ask about (although it may have been asked...I read almost all the posts, but skimmed some).

This is an upper-crust neighborhood. Even middle-class citiens often keep cameras going. What about the neighbors? The houses along the route where Sierra was abducted...don't any of them have cameras?

Is anyone aware as to whether LE has looked into this or not?

FWIW..when DH and I sleuthed Morgan Hills and Fremont, we looked for surveillance cameras on the houses on Sierra's street and some of the houses in the neighborhood. We could not see any.
However, another poster mentioned there are quite small and discreet cameras now, so there may have been this type of smaller surveillance cameras that we just couldn't see.
We stayed in the car, and were hesitant to get out, so as not to seem snooping.
JMO

I am still bothered how one new article says we are talking to the hacker and the other one says we don't know who it is. Also does anyone els find it just a little be odd or weird that just on Monday night Marlene says " I miss her Rap Music " and two days later the tweet come out?
Just something to chew on while we start our day.

It seems in the case in particular that some news sites are better informed than others.

I think they did question the possible hacker and the other news site just dropped the ball.

Its been hacked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member