Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #16 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know how to express this, but I'll give it a shot.

In 2009 he left some DNA at one of the attempted abductions.

He already had DNA entered in the database from a previous assault (?) which had been dismissed, as I understand it.

It seems to me that the DNA from the attempted abduction could (or should?) have been cross-referenced in the CODIS. Can anyone explain to me why this might not have been done, or why it could not have been done?

If it had been done, Sierra Lamar perhaps would still be with us.

This is EXACTLY what I've been saying! Why wasn't his dna matched with with the 2009 abduction attempt??? The perps dna goes into CODIS, so what happens to the dna of an unknown suspect left at a crime scene? Isn't it entered in CODIS as well? Why wasn't there a hit? Thank you! You explained it FAR better than I was trying to:waitasec:

He already had DNA entered in the database from a previous assault (?) which had been dismissed, as I understand it.

It seems to me that the DNA from the attempted abduction could (or should?) have been cross-referenced in the CODIS. Can anyone explain to me why this might not have been done, or why it could not have been done?

If it had been done, Sierra Lamar perhaps would still be with us.

This is just my way of thinking and it could be wayyyyy off.

#1 Attempted assault/Safeway parking lot - Morgan Hills PD - (which is the one they are now linking him to). When it happened, they checked CODIS and there was no match....so had no suspect

#2 Now AFTER that one moron does something that causes his DNA to be put in CODIS - they don't check it against old cases (I'm just guessing they didn't then however I don't know for sure) and this case is not prosecuted but now his DNA is on file.

#3 Possible suspect in Sierra's disappearance - they run DNA and thanks to #2 they have a match. Now (per the reporter on the cbs 7+ minute video report) they contact surrounding local PD's to see if they have any attempted abductions or assaults as the FBI told them to check this angle out.

So Morgan Hill PD says yes and gives them (Santa Clara County Sheriff) the case info....SCCS inputs and cross references and voila - now we have a match to #1 above.

Just an idea...

Nt I would take anything from KTVU worth a grain of salt. I was at work this morning so I could not post. But read one of their articles where they said ATG was being held at the Santa Rita Jail, That jail is foe Alameda county not Santa Clara. I had to clean my monitor from spewing coffee .

oh ok. It was one of the very first reports posted on the first page of this thread.

BBM

Actually, I'm pretty sure that this guy was so brazen, and thought the bag placement 'good enough' because he assumed that Sierra's age would mean she would be written off as a runaway - and in most areas, he'd have been correct in that assumption. That the responding officer in this case took the time to really look at things, and responded effectively is something that the perp could never have predicted, and that officer IMO deserves a huge amount of gratitude & credit.

All JMO

This sounds like the most logical explanation, imo, why he left the bag there and folded the clothing, to make it look like a runaway. BUT why the heck would he toss the phone, and so close to the bag? I guess he just wasn't very smart or maybe he noticed someone watching him (which could be the possible witness someone mentioned the possibility of LE having earlier). I have a hard time believing he wasn't smart enough, because I really believe he has done this before.

All JMO

If it had been done, Sierra Lamar would still be with us.

Dirty little secret of LE in the US & worldwide:

Evidence from attempted abductions & in many areas even rapes is often not tested for budgetary reasons. It's not right, but drug cases tend to take precedence when there budgets get stretched, as drug convictions can help to bring money in (that's the fault of Federal policies that monetarily reward LEAs for drug convictions, as well as property confiscation laws that are disturbingly powerful), whereas crimes with actual victims...those are money losers. That's the cold decision making that LEAs are forced to deal with, and such decisions are rarely in the hands of investigating officers.

All JMO

So at 19 agt supposedly committed 3 unsuccessful sexual assault attempts, but was never charged and the sketch in these cases are very similiar to him. Three years pass and now he's charged with murdering and kidnapping SL. So where and what has he been doing in the past three years?

I for one disagree with getting people's dna. Talk about opening up a can of worms. jmo

No, you're not alone here. I have a huge privacy concern with it, especially from people who are mistakenly arrested. I have quit a job because they started doing mouth-swab drug tests, so, I am with you on this one.

BBM

And don't neglect the delight they must get from how quickly most missing teens are written off as runaways & forgotten about by LE. :banghead:

Heck, despite Federal Mandates on missing persons recordkeeping, most LEAs are still neglecting to add many of their cases to the National Databases, or to collect DNA & dentals from family at the thirty day mark as required. There's a reason for that - the Mandates are unfunded...but still, it makes any statistical analysis meaningless, IMO.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that this guy was so brazen, and thought the bag placement 'good enough' because he assumed that Sierra's age would mean she would be written off as a runaway - and in most areas, he'd have been correct in that assumption. That the responding officer in this case took the time to really look at things, and responded effectively is something that the perp could never have predicted, and that officer IMO deserves a huge amount of gratitude & credit.

All JMO

I so agree with all of this post, SV.

Statistics have always been meaningless and horribly flawed. I really hate to see anyone put so much faith in them.

These agencies have got to do better and not simply dismiss these minors as runaways. LE must try to really investigate and solve these cases to determine if they truly are runaways or victims of a crime.

Sometimes it seems like the government agencies are afraid to really look closely into all the minors who are missing in the USA which is an astronomical amount because it may mean stranger abductors are kidnapping children in great number and they dont want to add that into the statistical equation.

I suppose it is better for some to think a family member is involved and that the victim was killed by someone known to them than to have to come to the realization that stranger are abducting our young children in large numbers.

For me personally, I would just like the truth, and not skewed statistics which are meaningless anyway.

IMO

Don't forget: DNA exonerates too. See The Innocence Project.

The DNA was collected at the time of that arrest. He wasn't convicted and the case was dropped ... for whatever reason.

SHERIFF SMITH: He had -- he has a prior conviction for
interfering with an officer. That's a misdemeanor. He has a
prior felony arrest for an assault. That's what got him into
the database. But that was not prosecuted.

Thank you for clearing that up.

This sounds like the most logical explanation, imo, why he left the bag there and folded the clothing, to make it look like a runaway. BUT why the heck would he toss the phone, and so close to the bag? I guess he just wasn't very smart or maybe he noticed someone watching him (which could be the possible witness someone mentioned the possibility of LE having earlier). I have a hard time believing he wasn't smart enough, because I really believe he has done this before.

All JMO

To be honest, I really don't think he was expecting searches & such to ever happen, other than maybe some family & friends, so he most likely assumed that both the phone & the bag would if nothing else be found by some random person & kept or disposed of.

The folding of the clothes IMO most likely had nothing to do with making it look like anything, and was more likely done by Sierra as she removed them (victims of rape often do this to stall for time) or by him, as a matter of habit or because he was being careful to check them for traces of himself or his crime when he put them in the bag.

One common element I've found when it comes to most criminals is that the reasons for their actions tend to be simpleminded & straightforward, as they aren't exactly the brightest collection of bulbs out there...

All JMO

Yikes, most of these runaways and others that I'm finding all seem to have the same stats, brown hair, brown eyes, 5ft, around 100-140lbs. Can someone tell me, I'm looking up Santa Clara County, what counties are close, I don't wanna miss anyone that he could have gotten to on I 101.

Thanks so much for this. Hopefully you post the most relevant ones you find. I'm bookmarking your posts and other posts about attempted abductions and assaults. I want to make a list and it would be great if we could put them all on a map.

IMO the two key pieces of most importance and that which is most damning are:

1) the first of which I'm certain the family is not even aware that their statements are only further damning their family member, ATG by their adamantly stating that not only it is their opinion that ATG did not even "know of" Sierra, but their adamantly stating that according to ATG, himself he didn't know her, know of her, nor had any connection or contact with/to her ever.. This IMO further damns him as to LE stating that within his car they have forensic DNA of Sierra.. This is of huge importance.. I see some mentioning CA and all the damning forensics of Caylee that amounted to nothing as far as convicting her.. But I must state this could not be farther from different of a situation as Caylee's DNA period had every right to be all over that car.. Whereas here with Sierra if it is fact as his family is adamantly stating there is no even remote reason or cause for Sierras DNA to be anywhere near ATG's car.. Yet we now know from LE that the red Jetta of ATG's does in fact contain proof of Sierra having been inside this vehicle.. That for me is a very key piece of evidence that absolutely will be seen introduced into court during his trial(if there is no plea made prior to a murder trial)

2) is that equally as important and damning and once again in using the statements made by his family members that there is absolutely no connection whatsoever that ATG had with Sierra.. Therefor further proving that ATG's actual DNA has zero reason, cause or excuse for having been found on the ACTUAL CLOTHES, AS WELL AS UNDERGARMENTS THAT SIERRA LAMAR WAS WEARING THE DAY OF HER ABDUCTION.. We now know from LE that the forensic testing of Sierras clothes have proven
A) they are the clothes Sierra had on when abducted
B) most damning and inexcusable is that ATG's very own personal DNA are actually on these key pieces of clothing of Sierra's..
IMO this key evidence equally as important and damning as #1.
____________________...
Posting via mobile as well as via tablet so plz forgive all typos.. Btwn the sucky touch keyboard and the obsessive auto-correct it's a big ol' mess :crazy:

Yeah, but now he's probably going to say he did meet Sierra, gave her a ride but lied because he didn't want his wife to know he was chatting up another woman.

Nevertheless, I do think they can convict.

If the US as a whole wants to solve crimes fast and maybe even inhibit crime, DNA will be collected on all individuals at birth, and for anyone that is older, DNA will be collected for a drivers license or to be admitted to school. And the DNA will be entered into CODIS. And, that would include fingerprints.

I'm not a fan of this. There have been some pretty hardcore studies out there suggesting DNA evidence is actually NOT foolproof and is fallible. One study out of AZ was so alarming, showing that the stats widely reported are wrong and that one sample matched several people, that no LE agency wants the gal who conducted the study to come near their samples for fear of what she'll uncover. I think it should be reserved for people arrested for certain crimes, like violence or breaking and entering, stalking, etc.

Here are some links about how DNA results can be speculative:

Subjective interpretation of results:
If DNA analysis were totally objective, then all 17 analysts should reach the same conclusion. However, we found that just one agreed with the original judgement that Robinson "cannot be excluded". Four analysts said the evidence was inconclusive and 12 said he could be excluded.
http://www.newscientist.com/article...-dna-evidence-can-mean-prison-or-freedom.html

Errors in collection/storage/testing:
When the California law, Proposition 69, passed, it was widely believed that the innocent had nothing to fear from having their genetic profiles in a database, said UC Irvine criminology professor William Thompson, considered the U.S. leading authority on DNA laboratory error.

Now, he said, "when you look at all the errors that have come to light around the world -- and we're only finding the tip of the iceberg -- it really raises concerns about how many people you want to have in a database. There are certainly doubts in my mind whether I would want to be in one."

The records show, for instance, that between 2003 and 2007, the Santa Clara County district attorney's crime laboratory caught 14 instances in which evidence samples were contaminated with staff members' DNA, three in which samples were contaminated by an unknown person and six in which DNA from one case contaminated samples from another.

The records also revealed three instances in which DNA samples were accidentally switched, one in which analysts reported incorrect results and three mistakes in computing the statistics used in court to describe the rarity of a DNA profile.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dna26-2008dec26,0,1314144,full.story

Odds may not be what we think they are:
State crime lab analyst Kathryn Troyer was running tests on Arizona's DNA database when she stumbled across two felons with remarkably similar genetic profiles.
pixel.gif

The men matched at nine of the 13 locations on chromosomes, or loci, commonly used to distinguish people.
The FBI estimated the odds of unrelated people sharing those genetic markers to be as remote as 1 in 113 billion. But the mug shots of the two felons suggested that they were not related: One was black, the other white.
In the years after her 2001 discovery, Troyer found dozens of similar matches -- each seeming to defy impossible odds.
As word spread, these findings by a little-known lab worker raised questions about the accuracy of the FBI's DNA statistics and ignited a legal fight over whether the nation's genetic databases ought to be opened to wider scrutiny.
The FBI laboratory, which administers the national DNA database system, tried to stop distribution of Troyer's results and began an aggressive behind-the-scenes campaign to block similar searches elsewhere, even those ordered by courts, a Times investigation found.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul/20/local/me-dna20

Not only the dates, but the same eye/hair color, same 'look.' That's a rather damning pattern.

ETA: I still have my doubts she's deceased, it still has a trafficking feel to it...imo if he's too stupid to know about DNA, could he really have successfully hidden bodies for so long? I think it's his job to grab them, and he hands them off. All strictly IMO, of course.

There has not been one proven case of the trafficking of American children or women to other countries, by strangers, for some sort of sex trade. There are many cases of teen girls being taken across state lines or held against their will for sex trade purposes within the U.S., but virtually all of them who have been rescued have been found to be runaways, troubled youth that initially went willingly, girls who knew their abductor and were tricked into going or foreign-born women/girls.

In other words, I think it is statistically highly unlikely that Sierra was sold into a sex trade, or otherwise trafficked. I think this case is no different from countless others: A violent monster took a child for his own evil purposes and destroyed her as part of the "game" or because he was done with her. :twocents:

All JMO

It seems that he threw things north of where he picked up Sierra, which is really indicitive of his thinking, because his home, where he used to live in San Martin, his jobs, and his home are south. I just hope that LE know what they are doing in the searching, I think they do. MOO

So irritated right now! I have been "on call" for jury duty this week, and yep my group is required to report at 830 tomorrow morning. I already set out my stuff to wear for the search tomorrow. I am hoping I can do both (get excused from the courthouse early and go to MH). Terrible timing.

The first major breakthrough came on March 28 -- 12 days after Sierra's disappearance -- when the crime lab came back with news that DNA found on Sierra's clothing matched Garcia-Torres. His DNA coding was already in the law enforcement database.

In May 2009, police reports show that Garcia-Torres was arrested for obstructing justice when Morgan Hill police arrived at his former home looking for a probationer believed to be living there. Garcia-Torres repeatedly cursed at officers and told them to leave. Later, while being held in a town jail cell awaiting booking, he reportedly overflowed the cell's toilet and engraved graffiti into a bench. Police added a charge of vandalism and he was sentenced to 10 days in jail and one year probation.

In June 2010, he was arrested on suspicion of felony battery by sheriff's deputies after allegedly punching a tenant who owed his mother rent, according to the report. Charges were never filed in that case.

Evidence collected in the Sierra case also led authorities to believe Garcia-Torres was involved in at least one of three unsolved nighttime assaults in a pair of Safeway stores in Morgan Hill in 2009, Smith said. In one case, a man hid in the back of a parked car before accosting a female driver with the Taser.

The bigger breakthrough in the Sierra case came just days ago, when the crime lab came back with a positive match of Sierra's DNA in the red Jetta.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...ierra-lamar-case-was-watched-constantly-weeks

So at 19 agt supposedly committed 3 unsuccessful sexual assault attempts, but was never charged and the sketch in these cases are very similiar to him. Three years pass and now he's charged with murdering and kidnapping SL. So where and what has he been doing in the past three years?

I really believe this was AGT too. The car description, race, mo. Seems like too much of a coincidence.

Look at the way he tried to abduct this young girl; drove up next to her and blocked her on the sidewalk, jumped out of his car, grabbed her in a bear hug from behind and tazed her. He had this routine down pat, it wasn't his first time.

The girl lost her sight and passed so some of the finer details of the car and the man may have been lost, if not for that I believe she could probably ID him in a line-up. Not mention ID the car!!

This happened on March 26, 2012. Ten days after Sierra went missing and two days before LE put him under surveillance. Thank the Lord for that, for I feel sure that others would have been missing too. This guy was spinning off!!

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...describes-attempted-abduction-daughter-willow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3