Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #22 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to figure out hair on rope evidence --- We know one hair has been found with a root since the got DNA from it. But, were there any hairs (without a root) found that are consistent with her hair? I thought it was mentioned some time back there were other hairs on the rope, but not sure...

There's no way I see SL as a runaway... so IMO def hurts their case pushing that idea...

tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 11m11 minutes ago
Dupee says they do their best not to collect trace frm Vic & suspect on same day. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 4m4 minutes ago
I won't bore U w/ the long list. One alternate juror appears to be napping. Heavy eyelids on male juror, but some taking notes #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 7m7 minutes ago
DA David Boyd getting foundational evidence from Dupee re what, when, how collected trace evidence. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 37m37 minutes ago
Dupee Gathered trace evid from #sierralamar clothing, her 2 cats, 1 dog, shed, dad's car, area near shed where her clothes were found, etc.
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 39m39 minutes ago
Dupee describes collecting reference samples, such as fibers from her home carpet. #sierralamar

tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 44s45 seconds ago
A juror sent judge a note that he or she has the flu, so NO AFTERNOON session today. #sierralamar

tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 54s55 seconds ago
Def contends hair on rope got there through cross-contamination, poor handling of evidence by deputies. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Veried account @tkaplanreport 3m3 minutes ago
DA contends #sierralamar hair is sign along w other evid that S was in def's car, probably tied up w/ rope, put in trunk.
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 5m5 minutes ago
#sierralamar's hair was abt 12 inches long, had root=DNA on it. Not pulled out, shed naturally.
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 2m2 minutes ago
Defense has noted that rope had no hair in photo; DA says hair there but not visible b/c low-resolution, poor lighting etc. #sierralamar
Altogether, removed 58 hairs. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 53s54 seconds ago
On cross by Def atty Al Lopez, Dupee says Nikon and Canon both capable of taking high-quality photos (goes to ROPE issue) #sierralamar

tracey kaplan‏Verified account@tkaplanreport 31m
Dupee agrees that in initial photo of rope by deputies looks loosely wrapped. Later photo show it's wound up tighter. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 36m36 minutes ago
Dupee: no hairs/debris fell off rope. Didn't note any hair on rope in notes. #sierralamar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 37m37 minutes ago
Dupee, re lighting in garage where examined Def car: It's not lab quality lighting, that's for sure. (Goes to rope) #sierralamar

#sierralamar trial is in recess til tomorrow morning.

If the alternate juror has the flu - I doubt there will be trial all this week....

Again Emi Thanks for the tweets!

Oof, we are in the thick of flu season. I hope the juror didn't infect any others! Also seems like we need red bull or coffee IV's in there for the jurors -- they're doing a very important, but of course very strenuous, job.

As a camera buff, a Nikon or Canon D-SLR would absolutely be able to pick up a hair on a rope, despite what kind of depth of field setting it was on. Unless it was totally out of focus, but with the live view of photos these days, there's no way they didn't get a preview of the picture written to the SD card, so if it were super out of focus they would've reshot it! This does seem pretty fishy. Unless the 57 other hairs were short and blonde, and Sierra's hair was on the OTHER side of the rope in the picture, something is strange here. Why didn't they take notes of the hair? When I was a journo for my well-known, Pacemaker (AKA Pulitzer for college papers) award-winning newspaper in college, I did a whole feature article on the evidence department in our major metro area. It was super interesting, and they had a database online for lost/stolen items that had been turned in. One thing they told me and stressed to high heaven? When taking something in for evidence, you take as many notes as possible. Even if it seems redundant, even if it seems overkill. And this is exactly why -- so you don't mess up a trial by your errors, and alternatively so you also don't ever get pinned with planting evidence after the fact of collection. It is meant to cover both your butt (those in evidence collection) and lady justice's. So this whole bungling... just makes me so irritated.

Hey all!

:goodpost: ^^ essjay! Not writing a detail of your evidence, is not looking good for the DA!

and

:welcome6: to Websleuths and this thread!

:greetings:

OldSteve said:
Going back to the link above, updated since I first saw it, but doesn't mention today's proceedings ... The picture of a very young Sierra that will tug at your heart, when you think about her sad destiny....

Totally agree with you! I get the "Google Alerts" for this, and read it first before coming here to read Emi's tweets. Basically the same thing - "maybe" one new thing, but nothing much else...

Like I said before - wish we had someone in the court room!

When we had the trial of Mario Garcia, who killed Christie Wilson, in my town when I lived there, I went to the trial almost every day and reported it here on WS! I learned alot - take short notes or you'll miss something else! LOL! There was one moment at that trial that I will never forget - when he turned and stared right at me.... chilling!! :eek: Scary looking dude!
I reported on how the jurors looked, the DA, the defendant; wish we had on this trial! Make it more like "we" are "there".

here's a link to his trial:
http://www.findchristiewilson.com/news.asp

So.... is there court today?? It's coming up on 2am on the Left Coast, so I guess I'll have to wait until 7pm here to find out, eh?

:waiting:

Confused.....so there is no fibre from the Jetta on her top or Jeans...is that right?

Well the defense is doing a good job. So far in my opinion I still feel that he is guilty and that there is enough to convict him. Yes the writing in the Spanish book could possibly be hers (but not likely). Yes there could have been cross contamination of the hair onto the rope (bad procedures by the lab). Yes there could be someone else out there with the same DNA that was found on her pants (but someone who lives nearby who had the means, motive and opportunity?). Yes the fibers on the pants could match with something else (but it so happens to match with the suspects carpet in the trunk?). Yes she could be alive and have run away (sadly not likely). Much of this will come down to the jury and if they believe that it is beyond a reasonable doubt....

In the end I hope it comes down to good old common sense I am hoping each juror possesses.

If I was the Prosecutor I would put this up on a large elmo for the jury to see during closing arguments. It is the famous words of ADA Rick Distaso in the Scott Peterson case.

"Just how many coincidences are you willing to believe and still be able to call yourselves reasonable people?'

I mentioned earlier how I dont like trials where we only get tweets. I have seen in the past that the ones who tweet may have their own biases and the tweets show that slanted point of view. It is their opinion of the evidence they are seeing come in. In tweets they put their own spin on it instead of reporting exactly what was said by each side.

I really haven't been impressed with Caplan's tweets and how they are phrased. They seem to slant heavily toward the defense and that can cause a misconception of what is really being said by both sides just by following TCs tweets.

For all we know by the body language of the jurors it could show none of them are buying any of this. Its like he is using the Steven Avery defense of everything was planted and he was framed. (eye-roll) I don't think its going to fly but these are CA jurors so anything could happen I suppose.:(

The one thing that I am very certain of is that the evidence wasn't planted. AGT was not on the "radar" until the dna database match from her clothes that was found. Only 11 matched. The authorities would never have had planted evidence IMO when they didn't know at that time if he had an alibi, if Sierra didn't run away or if there was another suspect who did the crime. How would they explain that if there was an investigation into the evidence? I hope that the jury understands this....

Confused.....so there is no fibre from the Jetta on her top or Jeans...is that right?

Morgan Hill Times‏ @morganhilltimes Feb 23
More
Gillis said fibers from Jetta floor mats "indistinguishable" from those found on tape lifts from #SierraLaMar clothing.
0 replies 0 retweets 1 like
Reply Retweet
Like 1

Criminalist Melissa Dupee back on the stand. On cross by Def atty Al Lopez: Jetta rear windows can be rolled up/down. #SierraLaMar
Jetta' rear windows & child-proofed locks been a focus, not clear exactly why yet. #SierraLaMar
Juror #8 still looks ill, but not blowing her nose constantly. Yesterday she was, & judge gave jury pm off b/c she too sick. #SierraLaMar
Lopez pushing def's contamination theory, suggesting that when Dupee did tape-lifts she cd have brushed vs doors etc. #SierraLaMar
Dupee: no brushing up, but says no one can say w/ certainty that they didn't. But Lopez doesn't score the way he did w Gillis. SierraLaMar
Dupee didn't see any bloodstains in Jetta. #SierraLaMar
#SierraLaMar pants smelled of urine, a deputy had said. Dupee also noted smell at shed where clothes found. But Lopez: many stray cats there
What's happening here is Lopez trying to raise doubt bit by bit, hoping it gives pause to at least 1 juror #SierraLaMar
On re-direct, Dupee says she wore a freshly laundered lab coat 1st day of Jetta search. 2nd day: wore same coat. #SierraLaMar
Boyd: Dupee wore same gray canvas shoes to search #SierraLaMar house & Jetta ( contamination) BUT wore booties covering shoes 2 do Jetta.
Issue is #SierraLaMar DNA on rear doors. Def blames contamination. Dupee says she didnt touch doors w her shoes.
Boyd re absence of blood in Jetta: "Would strangling someone makes bleed"? Also, "Ever seen a dead body w no blood?" #SierraLaMar
Boyd must convince jury in "no body" case that absence of blood, autopsy, method of death doesn't matter. #SierraLaMar
"Would strangling someone make them bleed"? #SierraLaMar
#SierraLaMar'S DNA on inside rear left door on handle. Dupee avoids contamination, including by several-day interval btwn Vic/suspect work.
Dupee (still on re-direct): used point&shoot to shoot ROPE. didn't use light meter, get close-up, or open a leather wider. #SierraLaMar
There are several photos of rope, some she took. Dupee says u can't generally see trace evid (like hair) w naked eye. #SierraLaMar
Again, Def contends no hair on rope at first, got there later b/c cross-contamination. DA: no, poor quality of photos #SierraLaMar
On re-cross by Lopez, he stresses that Dupee's camera had zoom capability, again goes to the rope. #SierraLaMar
Lopez points out Dupee analyzed hair from #SierraLaMar black bag, found near shed. Point seems to once again possibility of contamination
But to get there, Dupee lists each hair: #H-114, 35.5 cm, abt 12 inches. HELP! #SierraLaMar
Deputies wrote there were NINE hairs in package from #sierralamar black bag. But ONE of hairs was missing when Dupee opened it.
One hair of hers was found on the ROPE in Jetta trunk. Def must fight hair plus #SierraLaMar DNA in Jetta, plus his on her clothes.
DA reviews chain of custody for hair secure. Idea is to try to show hairs were secure. #SierraLaMar
Dupee says either 1 hair missing OR cd have been a discrepancy in # of hairs that deputy initially counted. #SierraLaMar
DA seems to be trying to show there was no opportunity for tampering or transfer/contamination. #SierraLaMar
DA making point that the hair cd not have bounced around from place to place, or to her & another analyst. #SierraLaMar
#SierraLaMar trial on lunch recess.

Note: All the tweets on the above post are from Tracey Kaplan and she seems to be very biased

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Note: All the tweets on the above post are from Tracey Kaplan and she seems to be very biased

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I recall one seriously biased reporter during the Jodi Arias trial in AZ--he was not on the side of the prosecutor at all and rarely tried to hide his disdain, yet the jury found her guilty. Her defense raised many issues trying to instill reasonable doubt about her motive for the killing and it was reported over and over that he had scored many points with jurors. But in the end, they convicted her. Even the one who thought she might have had reason to do what she did convicted her.

What one or two people see as "winning" may not necessarily be.

If the evidence shows he did it (and that includes circumstantial evidence which I find to be very powerful evidence in most cases) they should convict. If they do not, I hope they have a reasonable explanation for it.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member