Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #22 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too, Bravo. I was from the area at the time she disappeared, and I always held out hope she would be found alive- until the turkey baster and bleach were announced. I knew then that with his history and those items, he didn't allow her to live and leave the threat of being identified. I hope the jury recognizes that he has no place in society.

I agree with OBE; no way was AGT framed by LE or anyone else.

And I can't accept without proof that the prosecution is so stupid as to go into court completely unprepared, with evidence so weak that it can be explained away three, four or more ways by the defense. While this case might have one or two pieces of evidence that are weak, there is plenty of strong evidence pointing toward Sierra being deceased and AGT being the last person to be with her. If the jury believes she did not die a natural death they have to vote guilty on the murder charge. Even if they think she could have died accidentally, death during commission of a felony (kidnapping) is murder.

I don't know too much about the jurisdiction this trial is in but it's almost impossible to believe that LE and prosecutor's office could be as inept as they are being portrayed. Mistakes were made; it happens. I don't know of a case that could be called perfect from start to finish because human error will always enter in. However, when I can find no reason for AGT to be framed, and no reason for Sierra to disappear on her own never to be heard from again, by her own choice, and finally, when I look at all the evidence, I cannot even guess how he can be acquitted.

Unless, of course, we have a jury that is unable or unwilling to connect the dots.

JMO

Totally Agree.

I have not followed this trial very much but I do hope he is found guilty because I dont see any other possible way she would have disappeared.

Also I may remember this part wrong but wasnt there some news article or something where it was said that some tissues or something were found nearby the bus stop with his DNA on it and when they asked him about it then he claimed something stupid how he may have driven by that bus stop and threw them out by chance.

When I read that I became convinced he was involved in her disappearance because that was such a lame excuse for why those tissues would be in the area with his DNA on it.

I hope I am remembering this correctly. It was something crazy along those lines if I remember it right.

A lot more tweets are coming up

Ive been reading some of the tweets in this link and from the sound of it I wish the DA would concentrate more on their own evidence rather than predicting and denouncing what the Defense is going to say in their closing.

https://twitter.com/levitskyyy/with_replies

Matt Keller‏Verified account@MattKellerABC7 1h1 hour ago
Please follow @abc7david for more coverage today of closing arguments in #SierraLamar murder trial.
Prosecution- "What have we gotten after March 16th, 2016 from Sierra LaMar? The silence the defendant wanted." #SierraLaMar
...But day she disappeared- "It all ends. The Tweets, the texts, the phone calls, everything gone." (2/2) #SierraLamar
Prosecutor David Boyd- "The defense wants you to believe she wanted to throw it all away." (1/2)
Prosecution says Sierra used social media frequently. "There's no hidden life of Sierra Lamar."
Matt Keller‏Verified account@MattKellerABC7 2h2 hours ago
Prosecution "concedes" #SierraLamar was not perfect. "But that's not what this trial's about. It's not about Sierra's character."
Prosecution now talking about #SierraLamar before she disappeared and the many friends the jury heard from during the trial.
Prosecution showin the jury how Garcia-Torres grew up in San Martin and knew the area well. #SierraLamar
Prosecution now going over dirt stains found on #SierraLamar's jeans and sweatshirt. "How did that dirt get there?"
"...and the reason why her body isn't able to tell a story is because of this defendant." (2/2) #SierraLaMar
Prosecutor- "The reason why Sierra isn't able to tell us what happened... (1/2)
Prosecutor now going over evidence that was found including #SierraLamar's cell phone and bag.
Prosecutor David Boyd- "And the nightmare begins..." Then plays Mom's phone call to police reporting her daughter is missing. #SierraLaMar
Prosecutor David Boyd- "This has been a long trial so we're going to go over some of the evidence." Timeline now of day Sierra disappeared.
Prosecution in #SierraLamar trial about Defendant Antolin Garcia-Torres- "He silenced her so she couldn't say what he did to her."
Prosecution now beginning closing arguments. "Sierra Lamar is dead and this defendant right here kidnapped and killed her." #SierraLaMar
Judge is now addressing the jury. "Today is the day we present closing arguments." #SierraLaMar

Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 18m18 minutes ago
Jurors yawn and take sips of drinks as prosecutor explains technical details about cell phone towers and water damage on Sierra's phone.
Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 23m23 minutes ago
Jurors captive watching video showing #SierraLamar w/ purse getting off bus day before disappearance.Prosecutor holds up same purse in court
Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 27m27 minutes ago
Prosecutor on "absurd runaway theory"..."She didn't abandon that life, it was taken from her by this man right here." #SierraLamar #closing
Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 35m35 minutes ago
Artist rendering shows Prosecutor Boyd in closing arguments showing photo of #SierraLamar underwear while Garcia-Torres looked forward.
Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 1h1 hour ago
CLOSING: 2 home videos played of "goofy & vibrant" #SierraLamar 6 days before disappearance. Her father watched, Garcia-Torres did not look.
Prosecutor: "The only trace ever found since March 16, 2012-the only trace of her body was found in this man's car." #SierraLamar
15yo Sierra Lamar was active on social media. Prosecutor:"It's as if an ax was coming down.." the texts, the phone calls, stopped. .
Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 2h2 hours ago
For 2nd time Prosecutor David Boyd says "Sierra Lamar is dead" adds "she wasn't perfect" but this is not a trial of Sierra Lamar's character
Prosecutor:Garcia-Torres not seen between 7AM &12:47PM the day #SierraLamar disappeared. Says plenty of time for him to sexually assault her
Prosecutor shows video surveillance of Garcia-Torres wearing discolored pants day #SierraLaMar disappeared says PD never found those pants.
CLOSING ARGUMENT:prosecutor says 1 of 2 things happened to explain dirt on clothes. Sierra was either on the ground or dragged. #SierraLamar
Prosecutor questions how dirt got on #sierralamar jeans, sweatshirt & underwear.
Prosecutor:"Another mistake by this defendant" Outlines where #SierraLamar phone & bag found. Garcia-Torres wearing suit, looking forward. .
Sierra's father in courtroom,head in hands hearing 911 call. Several people in court needed tissues after hearing 911 call including juror.
Prosecutor: "And the nightmare begins..." Plays 911 call of emotional mother calling about missing daughter. #SierraLamar
Prosecutor:Tells jury this has been a long trial, going over timeline, shows photos of Garcia-Torres car, says 5-hour gap no alibi.
Prosecutor: Garcia-Torres targeted multiple women: "This man enjoyed the chase and needed one thing from each of these women- their body."
Prosecutor's first words in closing arguments: "Sierra Lamar is dead and this defendant kidnapped and killed her." #sierralamar
BREAKING: Closing arguments begin in Sierra Lamar murder case against 26yo Antolin Garcia-Torres.

Len Ramirez‏@lenramirez 20m20 minutes ago
#SierraLaMar prosecutor:"and then we have the rope." Sierra's hair on rope found in Antolin's trunk. @CBSSF
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 26m26 minutes ago
Defense has not introduced a contamination theory for the gloves, Boyd says. #SierraLaMar
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 30m30 minutes ago
Defense witness Marc Taylor does not dispute this math, Boyd says. #SierraLaMar
Morgan Hill Times‏@morganhilltimes 33m33 minutes ago
DA reminds jury that DNA matching #SierraLaMar was found on a pair of gloves found in defendant's car.
tracey kaplan‏Verified account@tkaplanreport 34m34 minutes ago
Bottom line: "It puts #SierraLaMar in that car -- and that's just the door handle,"DA says
tracey kaplan‏Verified account@tkaplanreport 36m36 minutes ago
DA describing stuff like what each expert said about sample #13 etc. #SierraLaMar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account@tkaplanreport 36m36 minutes ago
DEfense won't start its closing til tomorrow. #SierraLaMar
tracey kaplan‏Verified account@tkaplanreport 37m37 minutes ago
DA still dissecting every minute aspect of DNA. It's the star of the case tedious. #SierraLaMar
Shirley Ng-Benitez‏@shirleysillos 38m38 minutes ago
May peace be with the family and friends even more now. This entire case shook me to my core. #SierraLaMar
Len Ramirez‏@lenramirez 42m42 minutes ago
#SierraLaMar DNA on rear driver side door, on outside of gloves in Antolin's car. Boyd :"Contamination theory proven to be false."@CBSSF
@Rob Fladeboe kron4‏@KRON4RFladeboe 9m9 minutes ago
Jury reminded that odds of certain DNA found on evidence not that of #SierraLaMar: one in 98 million.
David Louie‏Verified account@abc7david 10m10 minutes ago
Prosecutor says most damaging DNA evidence in Antolin Garcia-Torres case is #SierraLaMar hair on rope found in his trunk & glove w/her DNA.
Len Ramirez‏@lenramirez 13m13 minutes ago
#SierraLaMar Prosecutor moves to fiber evidence. Sierra's clothing traces on Antolin's custom floor mats: "Unrebutted" evidence. @CBSSF
Morgan Hill Times‏@morganhilltimes 20m20 minutes ago
Boyd continues review of DNA evidence, reminding jury of high statistical likelihood of match with Garcia Torres on #SierraLaMar's clothing.
@Rob Fladeboe kron4‏@KRON4RFladeboe 26m26 minutes ago
Dist. Atty. Jeff Rosen in front row as closing arguments resume in #SierraLaMar murder trial. Pros. David Boyd going over DNA evidence
Len Ramirez‏@lenramirez 31m31 minutes ago
#SierraLaMar jury retaking seats after break. D.A. Jeff Rosen takes front row seat in audience. More arguments re DNA.
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 31m31 minutes ago
Boyd launches into discussion of Marc Taylor, who he attacked earlier as a "professional witness" for the defense #SierraLaMar
Maureen Naylor‏Verified account@MaureenKTVU 33m33 minutes ago
UPDATE:Closing arguments in #SierraLaMar murder trial resume after a lunch break with Prosecutor Boyd continuing case against Garcia-Torres.
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 33m33 minutes ago
Jury walking in following counsel discussion about testimony from a witness who has died, making cross-examination impossible. #SierraLaMar
David Louie‏Verified account@abc7david 35m35 minutes ago
#sccgov DA Jeff Rosen is sitting in on Antolin Garcia-Torres murder trial as 1:30pm session begins; closing arguments resuming. #SierraLaMar
Morgan Hill Times‏@morganhilltimes 39m39 minutes ago
Steve LaMar, #SierraLaMar's father, leaves the Hall of Justice in San Jose during a break in the trial for her accused killer May 2

Wish we had a full replay of closing to hear it all.. From what I could pick out of the tweets, appears more of SL's DNA in GT's car than I had listed before....

"It puts #SierraLaMar in that car -- and that's just the door handle,"
"DNA on rear driver side door"

Appears there may have been more mentioned, but not tweeted about...

I'm not seeing if the DA mentions whether the DNA was located on the inside of the rear driver's side door or the outside of that door, or what kind of DNA it is. Anybody know what they're referring to?

Not every reporter uses #SierraLaMar some like Levitskyy and Favro don't always use

JMO

DNA evidence has become the gold standard in murder cases these days. The thing that prosecutors need to do much better at is to make sure their Laboratories and DNA analysis labs use and follow strict sanitary protocols to help ensure there is no cross contamination of any of their results during testing.

We are talking microscopic cells here and even though a defense is quick to always claim there could have been cross contamination I think they have a legitimate argument in lots of cases because of how easy it would be to have some lab technician touch something and then turn around and touch something else.

Literally every time they go to work with a sample they would have to ensure brand new rubber gloves were put on and wash any hands in that special anti microbe soap to prevent any cross contamination from occurring.

IMO we do not hear enough in cases all the steps and protocols the lab technicians would go through to be sure everything is done sanitary and on the up and up.

If they are going to expect juries to send someone to prison for life then they need to start doing a better job of explaining all those processes.

If anyone has ever cooked raw chicken and tried to cook other side dishes along with it then just think how easy it is to touch raw chicken juice and try not to get any on anything else when cooking.
I dont like cooking chicken for just that reason and when I do I end up washing my hands about 10 or 15 times during the meal preparation.

Its just a huge area that I think Prosecution needs to do a much better job of in preparing their cases.

All JMO of course.

I'm not seeing if the DA mentions whether the DNA was located on the inside of the rear driver's side door or the outside of that door, or what kind of DNA it is. Anybody know what they're referring to?

Either the tweeting was just not detailed enough or the Prosecution was not explaining it well enough. Its hard to tell when all we see is something like this.

"tracey kaplan @tkaplanreport
Bottom line: "It puts #SierraLaMar in that car -- and that's just the door handle,"DA says"

https://www.hashtagsmania.com/trend/SierraLaMar

Despite elaborate theory proposed by defense: as Safeway courtesy clerk, defendant had legitimate reason to have handled battery in store
That Garcia-Torres matches the fingerprint on the nine-volt Duracell battery found in the stun gun is undisputed, DA says
DA launches into attack on the "conspiracy of improbabilities" he says defense created around fingerprints on stun gun, battery #SierraLaMar
In first kidnap attempt, Garcia-Torres matches description given by victim: young Hispanic man, 5 foot 11 or 6 feet tall. He was almost 18.
Boyd going over 2009 Safeway parking lot attempted kidnappings with which Garcia-Torres is also charged, showing mugshot of defendant at 18

The cross contamination theory just doesn't fly with me.

To me when I see cross contamination in these kind of cases it is mostly when a forensic lab tech mistakenly touches the item they are testing, and contaminates it with their own DNA.

Imo, there are way too many items of evidence found belonging to AGT for cross contamination to occur or for them to be considered mere coincidences. I dont think the jury will find that cross contamination occurred in this case. Cross contamination on all of it? I find that a huge stretch for the jurors to believe. And I do not believe one lab tech did all of this testing and the results.

Too many pieces of evidence linking AGT to Sierra showing he is the kidnapper/killer either by forensic DNA or powerful circumstantial evidence.

The jury would have to believe that all biological evidence tying AGT directly to Sierra were cross contaminated or he was framed by LE. And they certainly aren't going to believe LE framed AGT and planted his DNA nor Sierra's. IMO

There are several hits on things he owned linking him to Sierra when he abducted her. Sierra's DNA/hair shows who her murderer is. She is speaking from the grave and the jury must listen in the form of all of the evidence entered. The murderer is the man who had his own DNA found on her discarded clothing, his gloves have her DNA on them, the rope inside of his vehicle had Sierra's hair along with her DNA on the rear driver's side door. She was with him inside of his vehicle and then never to be seen or heard from again.

Combine all of this with all of the other overwhelming amount of CE and its not hard to see BARD that AGT is guilty of kidnapping and murdering SL.

From the tweets I have read today, I like the way the DA is presenting/laying out his case. Its hard hitting/accusatory, yet clear and concise. I am sure he has visuals up on a large Elmo for the jury to see as he talks about particular pieces of evidence. I like the way he is telling the story from the very beginning.......even replaying the 911. He is walking them through the evidence piece by piece. He is walking them through Sierra's last day on Earth when she crossed paths with her killer AGT.

Like I said before, I do not like tweeted trials. Just take today for instance. It only took a few minutes to read them all up until now yet we know he said many many more things during his closing. All we get is short burst of
information and those tweeting make us miss so much of what actually was totally said in court from the first word to the end. Even in the closing we only get tidbits of disjointed, incomplete information and the tweeter is the one who chooses what to tweet and much is left out. Also it is not a word for word like it would be if we were able to view it for ourselves. Those who are tweeting decide for all of us what we get to know about. And as we know from one reporter, they can also put their own twist/biases or interpretation on what they tweet.

As far as the DA asking for the death penalty IMHO, he made the right decision based upon the legal prongs that were clearly met to boost it up to the top level of allowable punishment. Even though this trial is being held in CA, which usually gives me great pause and jitters), I have confidence in this jury and they will do the right thing.

They are never to consider punishment in the gult phase before they decide on his guilt or NG verdict. I certainly dont believe because this is a death penalty case that the jurors will somehow windup voting for NG and letting him go free because of that since this is a death penalty jury. They are only to consider what the rightful punishment is after the second phase of the trial is held and not in the guilt phase. I believe 99.9% of jurors follow their sworn oath and uphold what they have promised the court they will do.

If they find him guilty as charged then I hope they have a strong foreperson who explains to them why this defendant does deserve death. For them to vote for BARD unanimously then they are all convinced he is indeed the murderer of a young vulnerable 15 year old. Just because he was criminally savvy enough to hide her body from being located doesn't mean he should skate nor not get death. In fact, if convicted I think the DA will hammer that fact home over and over again in the sentencing phase. It shows how heartless, cruel, and remorseless he truly is even to this day. He knows he will still be in control of Sierra's parents by never giving them Sierra's remains so she can come home and have a proper burial. Imo, that part will not be lost on his jury either.

If convicted, the sentencing phase will be a mini-trial and ALL of his bad acts will come in before the jury considers what punishment is given.

My heart and prayers are with all of Sierra's family and loved ones. May Lady Justice soon rise and stand tall against this evil murderer who took an innocent life and destroyed her family forever.

IMO

:goodpost: ^^

totally agree!

Prosecution finished its closing arguments. Defense to start at 10:05. #SierraLaMar

IMO DDA Boyd did a very good job on his closing arguments. He explained things very clearly and gave a step by step account of this case. I just hope that the jury feels the same. Next up the defense....

Doesn't the Prosecutor have another chance to address the jury after the defense has finished? In most states they do since they have the burden of proof.

IMO

Yes they do rebuttal

Tweets from Allison Levitsky today

After six hours yesterday, prosecutor David Boyd continuing his closing argument this morning in #SierraLaMar trial.
Bailiff still passing out seat passes, but no need for an overflow room today. Courtroom not as packed. #SierraLaMar
Cellphone found 3/17/12. Bag and school books found 3/18/12. Clothing goes to lab 3/19/12 - DNA matches defendant from database.
Garcia-Torres was first interviewed by @SCCoSheriff on April 4, 2012. #SierraLaMar
Investigators asked Garcia-Torres if he knew #SierraLaMar to explain presence of his DNA on her jeans, three weeks after disappearance.
He said no, that he'd only heard of her from news on TV. Graphics had been shown in news of where her cellphone, clothing had been recovered
Garcia-Torres told @SCCoSheriff that he knew he was being followed, had discarded tracking device he'd found on his car. #SierraLaMar
Boyd says Garcia-Torres withheld from @SCCoSheriff that he was on Palm Avenue when #SierraLaMar would have been walking to bus stop.
Sheriff's investigators interviewed Garcia-Torres for the second time April 7, 2012. #SierraLaMar
Boyd plays video of 4/7/12 interview where defendant says he went fishing 3/16/12 - left RV park 7am, got up to Chesbro Reservoir at 8am.
"I don't go around leaving my DNA everywhere," AGT said. @SCCoSheriff told him DNA was being transferred just sitting in the interview room.
Prosecutor says fact that AGT told interviewer he masturbated in his car, threw napkins out the window-w/no prior mention of sperm-is damning
Garcia-Torres was "right there at the right date, the right street and the right time," Boyd reiterates. #SierraLaMar
"He wasn't just unlucky enough to be picked out of the database, to not have an alibi," Boyd says. "He is a guilty man." #SierraLaMar
Boyd: "What would have to be reasonable to make a case that this defendant is not responsible for the kidnap and murder of #SierraLaMar?"
Boyd asks how else to explain AGT's DNA on SL's jeans, SL's DNA on door handle in AGT's car and on outside of gloves in his trunk.
Boyd: "Somehow" Sierra's hair made it onto a rope found in Garcia-Torres' trunk. "Improbabilities don't conspire. They're just improbable"
Boyd: Garcia-Torres "forensically connected" to "similar" crimes- attempted kidnappings of three women, alone, where nothing was taken.
Boyd:"It just so happens that that battery gets used in a crime around the corner from where he lives, at the front door of where he works."
"You must accept the reasonable and reject the unreasonable" in evaluating circumstantial evidence, Boyd tells jury. #SierraLaMar
"Do not reward this defendant for his planning, his cunning and his success in silencing #SierraLaMar," Boyd tells jury.
Boyd:"He didn't want anyone to know what he had done, so he killed her. He didn't want anyone to know what he had done, so he hid her body."
Boyd wraps closing argument. Judge calls for a break until 10:05am. #SierraLaMar
Defense attorney Al Lopez thanks jury for their time (more than three months now) before starting opening argument. #SierraLaMar
Lopez tells jury that DA has to prove that a crime was committed, and Garcia-Torres committed the crime, beyond a reasonable doubt

Lopez warns jury about distracting "shame evidence" that he says has been presented by DA. #SierraLaMar
Boyd has linked the 4 charges together-2009 kidnap attempts a "training ground" for 2012 kidnap-murder. Lopez says evaluate each on its own.
Lopez says in Safeway kidnap attempt, no evidence of intent. Suspect didn't verbalize a demand. #SierraLaMar
One of kidnap attempt victims (Lundy) couldn't identify Garcia-Torres as suspect, but remembered a smirk. Lopez asks what this proves.
Lopez on fingerprint on stun gun battery: "You need to show how, when and why" the fingerprint was left. #SierraLaMar
As Lopez attacks DA case, he drops orange balls, each representing a piece of DA's evidence, into a glass he's calling a "shame bucket."
Lopez claims fingerprint match was inconclusive, accuses DA of skirting the rules for lack of evidence. #SierraLaMar
Lopez says it's "not fair" to Garcia-Torres, LaMar family to "make up evidence" that #SierraLaMar is dead.
Lopez launches into his "top 10 reasons" for lack of evidence that a murder took place. #SierraLaMar
10. Bank of America security video: Garcia-Torres had calm demeanor, looked uninjured, wasn't tracking dirt.
9. No evidence AGT had tools to hide body. Lopez asks why abductor would hide body so well, leave clothes to be found. "That looks staged."
8. No statement of guilt. 7. Why? They didn't know each other. 6. Where's the murder weapon? 5. No eyewitness of struggle in kidnapping.
4. No crime scene. No blood. 3. No evidence of violence on clothes- rips, broken zippers, stun gun burns, bleach stains. #SierraLaMar
2. No cause of death. No evidence she was killed, no evidence of when she was killed. DA "throwing it out there, hoping we get angry."
1. No body- she's a missing person. "That's the heart of this case," Lopez says. #SierraLaMar
"She was in a broken home. She wanted to run away," Lopez says. #SierraLaMar
It's a "reasonable inference" that #SierraLaMar left home around 7:15am 3/16/12, Lopez says. Walk to bus stop was 8 min, bus arrived ~7:25am
Lopez says there's no evidence that Garcia-Torres turned on Palm Avenue, as he said he had. #SierraLaMar
Lopez says based on time Garcia-Torres left, he would have passed through Palm at 7:11am or 7:13am-a couple minutes before Sierra left home
"There was no chance encounter," Lopez says, reminding jury that a brown car was also seen driving erratically in the area that morning
Lopez asks why DA didn't do soil analysis on dirt found on #SierraLaMar's jeans
Lopez says DA should have done DNA testing on cypress seeds recovered in evidence. #SierraLaMar
No aquatic plant seeds like the ones found on #SierraLaMar's clothing were found in Garcia-Torres' car, Lopez says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89