Deceased/Not Found CA - Sierra LaMar, 15, Morgan Hill, 16 March 2012 #22 *A. Garcia-Torres guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO

I think he is likely guilty based on the totality of the evidence.
I just wish there was a little more solid evidence for the jury. I hope they are able to see things clearly.

I tried to go back and find where he incriminated himself in one of the police interviews about the disgusting tissue statements and I found something interesting filed by the defense. This just goes to show there are always two sides to a court case and I hold the prosecution to a high standard just as I would the defense.
Neither side should be trying to play games. When I start to see games or tricks trying to be played by either side then I tend to weigh that along with the other evidence.

I hope the jury has seen enough evidence to make the right decision in this case.

http://www.scscourt.org/general_inf...elated to Masturbation and Semen on Jeans.pdf

Tweets from Allison Levitsky today

After six hours yesterday, prosecutor David Boyd continuing his closing argument this morning in #SierraLaMar trial.
Bailiff still passing out seat passes, but no need for an overflow room today. Courtroom not as packed. #SierraLaMar
Cellphone found 3/17/12. Bag and school books found 3/18/12. Clothing goes to lab 3/19/12 - DNA matches defendant from database.
Garcia-Torres was first interviewed by @SCCoSheriff on April 4, 2012. #SierraLaMar
Investigators asked Garcia-Torres if he knew #SierraLaMar to explain presence of his DNA on her jeans, three weeks after disappearance.
He said no, that he'd only heard of her from news on TV. Graphics had been shown in news of where her cellphone, clothing had been recovered
Garcia-Torres told @SCCoSheriff that he knew he was being followed, had discarded tracking device he'd found on his car. #SierraLaMar
Boyd says Garcia-Torres withheld from @SCCoSheriff that he was on Palm Avenue when #SierraLaMar would have been walking to bus stop.
Sheriff's investigators interviewed Garcia-Torres for the second time April 7, 2012. #SierraLaMar
Boyd plays video of 4/7/12 interview where defendant says he went fishing 3/16/12 - left RV park 7am, got up to Chesbro Reservoir at 8am.
"I don't go around leaving my DNA everywhere," AGT said. @SCCoSheriff told him DNA was being transferred just sitting in the interview room.
Prosecutor says fact that AGT told interviewer he masturbated in his car, threw napkins out the window-w/no prior mention of sperm-is damning
Garcia-Torres was "right there at the right date, the right street and the right time," Boyd reiterates. #SierraLaMar
"He wasn't just unlucky enough to be picked out of the database, to not have an alibi," Boyd says. "He is a guilty man." #SierraLaMar
Boyd: "What would have to be reasonable to make a case that this defendant is not responsible for the kidnap and murder of #SierraLaMar?"
Boyd asks how else to explain AGT's DNA on SL's jeans, SL's DNA on door handle in AGT's car and on outside of gloves in his trunk.
Boyd: "Somehow" Sierra's hair made it onto a rope found in Garcia-Torres' trunk. "Improbabilities don't conspire. They're just improbable"
Boyd: Garcia-Torres "forensically connected" to "similar" crimes- attempted kidnappings of three women, alone, where nothing was taken.
Boyd:"It just so happens that that battery gets used in a crime around the corner from where he lives, at the front door of where he works."
"You must accept the reasonable and reject the unreasonable" in evaluating circumstantial evidence, Boyd tells jury. #SierraLaMar
"Do not reward this defendant for his planning, his cunning and his success in silencing #SierraLaMar," Boyd tells jury.
Boyd:"He didn't want anyone to know what he had done, so he killed her. He didn't want anyone to know what he had done, so he hid her body."
Boyd wraps closing argument. Judge calls for a break until 10:05am. #SierraLaMar
Defense attorney Al Lopez thanks jury for their time (more than three months now) before starting opening argument. #SierraLaMar
Lopez tells jury that DA has to prove that a crime was committed, and Garcia-Torres committed the crime, beyond a reasonable doubt

Lopez warns jury about distracting "shame evidence" that he says has been presented by DA. #SierraLaMar
Boyd has linked the 4 charges together-2009 kidnap attempts a "training ground" for 2012 kidnap-murder. Lopez says evaluate each on its own.
Lopez says in Safeway kidnap attempt, no evidence of intent. Suspect didn't verbalize a demand. #SierraLaMar
One of kidnap attempt victims (Lundy) couldn't identify Garcia-Torres as suspect, but remembered a smirk. Lopez asks what this proves.
Lopez on fingerprint on stun gun battery: "You need to show how, when and why" the fingerprint was left. #SierraLaMar
As Lopez attacks DA case, he drops orange balls, each representing a piece of DA's evidence, into a glass he's calling a "shame bucket."
Lopez claims fingerprint match was inconclusive, accuses DA of skirting the rules for lack of evidence. #SierraLaMar
Lopez says it's "not fair" to Garcia-Torres, LaMar family to "make up evidence" that #SierraLaMar is dead.
Lopez launches into his "top 10 reasons" for lack of evidence that a murder took place. #SierraLaMar
10. Bank of America security video: Garcia-Torres had calm demeanor, looked uninjured, wasn't tracking dirt.
9. No evidence AGT had tools to hide body. Lopez asks why abductor would hide body so well, leave clothes to be found. "That looks staged."
8. No statement of guilt. 7. Why? They didn't know each other. 6. Where's the murder weapon? 5. No eyewitness of struggle in kidnapping.
4. No crime scene. No blood. 3. No evidence of violence on clothes- rips, broken zippers, stun gun burns, bleach stains. #SierraLaMar
2. No cause of death. No evidence she was killed, no evidence of when she was killed. DA "throwing it out there, hoping we get angry."
1. No body- she's a missing person. "That's the heart of this case," Lopez says. #SierraLaMar
"She was in a broken home. She wanted to run away," Lopez says. #SierraLaMar
It's a "reasonable inference" that #SierraLaMar left home around 7:15am 3/16/12, Lopez says. Walk to bus stop was 8 min, bus arrived ~7:25am
Lopez says there's no evidence that Garcia-Torres turned on Palm Avenue, as he said he had. #SierraLaMar
Lopez says based on time Garcia-Torres left, he would have passed through Palm at 7:11am or 7:13am-a couple minutes before Sierra left home
"There was no chance encounter," Lopez says, reminding jury that a brown car was also seen driving erratically in the area that morning
Lopez asks why DA didn't do soil analysis on dirt found on #SierraLaMar's jeans
Lopez says DA should have done DNA testing on cypress seeds recovered in evidence. #SierraLaMar
No aquatic plant seeds like the ones found on #SierraLaMar's clothing were found in Garcia-Torres' car, Lopez says.

All JMO

I found it interesting to counter their "top ten" because quite a few of them were ridiculous.

10. Bank of America security video: Garcia-Torres had calm demeanor, looked uninjured, wasn't tracking dirt.

COUNTER: That doesnt mean anything because we have seen all types of murderers and I am certain that some cold blooded murderers could kill someone and not blink an eye and have a calm demeanor. The no remorse types with no conscience types. Plenty of them out there like that.
And of course he could be uninjured as it would be easy for him to overpower her as she was a small girl and if he carried a stun gun like was alleged in another crime then she may have been knocked out with a stun gun.
This one is ridiculous of the defense to even say this one.

9. No evidence AGT had tools to hide body. Lopez asks why abductor would hide body so well, leave clothes to be found. "That looks staged."

COUNTER: No evidence that he did not have tools and may have gotten rid of the tools. As far as leaving the clothes in the bag that could have been a stupid mistake the murderer made. He messed up. Also happens in lots of cases where a perp messes up.

8. No statement of guilt.

COUNTER: ok well give him this one. Except for the gross and somewhat incriminating statements he made about tissues.

7. Why? They didn't know each other.

COUNTER: Likely true but he could have spotted her at that bus stop in the days leading up to the murder.

6. Where's the murder weapon?

COUNTER: The rope with her hair on it that was found in his vehicle.
Strangulation by rope or his bare hands and rope used to drag her to dumping spot.

5. No eyewitness of struggle in kidnapping.

COUNTER: He got awful lucky nobody noticed when he likely pulled up to her while she waited for the bus. He may have talked her into going with him like offering her a ride to school and maybe offered to her to smoke a joint on the way to school which is how he could have gotten her in the car without any struggle. It would have looked like a friendly offering of a ride and nobody would have blinked an eye if passing a scene like that.

4. No crime scene. No blood.

COUNTER: Wrong. There is a crime scene. We just dont know exactly where it is right now. Someday soon we may find it.
If stragulation then its possible there was no blood.

3. No evidence of violence on clothes- rips, broken zippers, stun gun burns, bleach stains. #SierraLaMar

COUNTER: Sure there was on her clothes found. Urine indicates she was either dead where it is known bodily fluids come out of body when dead or she was terrified. Either way it means something terrible happened. Also beads from roadway on her clothes indicates she was dragged on the road at least a little ways. Like from car to field off side of a road.

2. No cause of death. No evidence she was killed, no evidence of when she was killed. DA "throwing it out there, hoping we get angry."

COUNTER: Yes there was. She has not turned up in all these years. Her clothes with urine stains were found shortly after she disappeared. Common sense tells us she is no longer with us. A jury can use their common sense to help judge a case.

1. No body- she's a missing person. "That's the heart of this case," Lopez says. #SierraLaMar

COUNTER: That is the DT opinion. Another opinion based on the totality of the evidence is she was murdered and is no longer with us.

Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 25m25 minutes ago
"By itself, it really doesn't mean much," Lopez says of DNA on door handle. #SierraLaMar
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 44m44 minutes ago
"If she was in that car, wouldn't you expect there to be more DNA?" Lopez asks. #SierraLaMar's DNA found on door handle of AGT's VW Jetta.
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 53m53 minutes ago
Lopez still at it with the orange balls in the "shame bucket." #SierraLaMar
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 55m55 minutes ago
Samsung engineer testified it was rare for a cellphone to turn on because of water intrusion, but possible. #SierraLaMar
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 5m5 minutes ago
"He's asking you to get to a murder conviction by assuming facts," Lopez says. "I was waiting for Mr. Boyd to say he's the bogeyman."
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 17s17 seconds ago
Lopez going over Blackstone's formulation—better that 10 guilty persons escape than one innocent suffer—and quoting the Bible(Genesis 18:23)
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 2m2 minutes ago
Boyd objects twice to Lopez citing Supreme Court cases: "Your honor, it's bad enough that he's invoking the Bible." Sidebar is called.

Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 1m1 minute ago
"It's been a pleasure presenting this case before you. Thank you." Lopez wraps his closing argument. Boyd will respond at 9am tomorrow.

I know we have limited information about what happened in court in this trial but I think this perp has a better attorney than most perps with PDs.

None of his many attempts to raise reasonable doubt change the facts for me, though. I think AGT is guilty of murder and I hope the jury has sufficient evidence to arrive at that verdict. We must remember that nothing has to be proven by the defense; they can say whatever they want, true or not. Jurors sometimes forget that, if they even know it in the first place.

It all gets down to "beyond a reasonable doubt".
IMO and speculation, and without a doubt, he is guilty. Is there enough to overcome reasonable doubt? This one will be a close call.

Speculation and opinion only

When defense says there were no tools, their forgetting the bleach and turkey baster....

The more defense tries to make it seem like a murder did not take place, the more it makes their client seem guilty...

Is there anything that could have done differently in this trial ? -
Depending upon how accurately the tweet coverage was, and it seems allot was not reported, what I would have liked was more attention paid to how things were done to insure pristine collection and processing of the DNA evidence.
How many years now since the OJ trial? - would think every DA knows a defense is going to go the, poor DNA collection and cross-contamination route in a trial. Again, and only based upon tweets, I did not feel enough was done to rule out any doubt that this could not have happened from the time the evidence was found, collected, and processed...
So, I'm left with now having to figure out not if it could have happened, but how unlikely that it could have happened in more than one instance..

Good Luck today to DA Boyd!! May he provide all the evidence the jurors require for conviction. Justice for Sierra, her family and her friends.
SierraLaMarShoes.jpg

Jury has left the courtroom to start deliberations. Justice for Sierra!

11:04 ALen Ramirez‏*
@lenramirezwing
#SierraLaMar judge allowing cell phones and electronic devices in jury room deliberations citing "exceptional" service thus far. @CBSSF
10:46 AM - 4 May 2017M - 4 May 2017

I noticed the above tweet. Does anyone know if it is common for jurors to be allowed to have cell phones and electronic devices in the deliberation room? I just found this to be interesting.

Usually a Judge does NOT allow the jurors to keep their cell phones with them. That's a strange one!

Justice for Sierra

:judge:

Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 1h1 hour ago
Jury has left the courtroom for deliberation in #SierraLaMar trial. Judge warned them: verdict must be made by consensus, no coin-flipping.
Allison Levitsky‏@levitskyyy 2h2 hours ago
Defense contests Boyd's use of word as "evil," claims it's an inappropriate epithet for defendant. #SierraLaMar
Allison Levitsky Retweeted Allison Levitsky
Boyd says he doesn't have to prove manner of death, but does have to prove that the defendant killed her. #SierraLaMar
Defense attorney contests Boyd's instruction to jury that DA doesn't have to prove how #SierraLaMar died.
Boyd wraps rebuttal, defense asks for sidebar. Jury breaks until 10:35am. #SierraLaMar
Defendant brought up semen in sheriff intvw. "An innocent man doesn't come up with that first unless that's what he knows is the truth."
Lopez said placement of bag seemed staged when body hidden so well. Boyd suggests it was the defendant's idea to plant runaway theory.
#SierraLaMar "wore her entire life out in the open for everyone to see," Boyd says, disputing defense claim of secret life, runaway plans.
Boyd reminds jury of Sierra's final selfie, tongue out, hair curled. "Is that the sign of a 15-yr-old who's ready to abandon everything?"
Boyd starts in on defense claim that #SierraLaMar is not dead.
"You remember those numbers. They were devastating. Statistics that (witness) Mr. Taylor did not dispute the math," Boyd says of glove DNA.
"It does not prove what he wants it to prove," Boyd says of Lopez's timeline claiming def passed Palm 3 min before #SierraLaMar left home.
Boyd harps on Lopez's awkward "poor sucker" remark framing Safeway parking lot attacker as victim because woman defended herself w/knife.
"Does anyone think Sierra drove herself up to Calero or Chesbro and started rolling around in the mud?" Boyd asks, referring to dirty jeans.
"It's noise. It's nothing," Boyd says of defense theory about brown car seen driving erratically near where #SierraLaMar went missing.
Prosecutor David Boyd giving his rebuttal to defense attorney Al Lopez's closing argument in #SierraLaMar trial this morning.

I've been called for jury duty, and sat on a jury, at both city and county level. At both courthouses there were no cell phones allowed past the front lobby. You had to leave it in your car. This was true when I sat on a jury too. This is Michigan though, it could vary state to state. To be able to have a cell phone in the deliberation room is crazy to me.

Defense atty contesting jury instruction that DA does not have to prove how she died. How is he contesting something that is law? State does not have to prove how she died and I think it is very important for jury to know that. That's where the jury erred in CA's case--they said Caylee could have died many different ways and the state didn't prove how so they had to acquit.

That law about state not needing to prove manner of death should be a standard jury instruction, imo.

Justice for Sierra! Crossing my fingers for a swift guilty verdict.

Thanks to everyone posting tweets and keeping us up to date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tracey kaplan‏Verified account @tkaplanreport 5h5 hours ago

JUDGE: There will be 1 hour for folks to get to court to hear verdict -- whenever it is comes in. SierraLaMar
---

RobertHanda‏Verified account @RHandaNBC 26m26 minutes ago

#SierraLaMar murder trial #jury deliberating at #HOJ #SJ. Plan to meet again for Fri morning session then resume Monday ..unless..
--
I'm not sure if the above tweet means they've left for the day or are still deliberating, but at least we know they'll come back tomorrow morning.

Prayers for the Jury to have wisdom to come up with the right verdict.

Verdict watch time. It will be interesting how long the jury deliberates in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState