GUILTY CA - Sophia, 2, Yazmine, 1, & Xenia Coronado, 2 mos, murdered, 20 May 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm curious why you think yelling across the street to her husband was all she needed to do? The bigger question I have is why was he across the street to begin with? My daughter has three children all born within one year. Three children that young and so close together is too much for one person to handle. It's a real nightmare if the children don't sleep through the night.

This case appears to be just that, a nightmare.

JMO

It states that he was working on a car. Was it a hobby? I don't know? Was he trying to make extra cash on the side to support his growing family? I don't know? The only thing I know is what he has stated to the media and that is that he has no idea why or how this happened and that it was like she was possessed by a demon. Were there warning signs? According to his statement, there either were none, he ignored them, or he simply didn't know what to look for.

My mom, much younger than the mother in this case at the time, had three children (all girls) under the age of three. My father was a truck driver and was gone a lot. Both my mother's parents were already deceased and my father's parents made it very clear (to both their own daughters and both their daughter-in-laws) that they had already raised their children and they were not going to raise their grandchildren. I would go into everything my own mother went through in our very young years, but it would take a very long time, but trust me when I say she went through a lot! I do agree that it is too much for one person to handle, and it wasn't fair, but she did it.

I've been a member of this forum for a long time and I lurked for years before even becoming a member. One thing I do know is that mother's murder their child/ren every day. And maybe I do come across as really harsh, but I am not willing to immediately dismiss this woman's crimes over an assumption that she may be suffering from postpartum psychosis. I don't do that for other women who murder their children and I surely won't do it for her. I could just as easily make the assumption that she was on some type of illegal mind altering drug that led her to murder her children. We just don't know.

I will say that all our brave members here who have shared their own personal stories has really helped me understand just how serious postpartum psychosis is. I cannot even imagine how scary it is and I am in awe at your strength. I am really grateful to belong to such a wonderful forum and I hope that my immediate feelings about this case do not offend anyone. If it is found that she was suffering from postpartum psychosis, I do hope you can continue to help us through this case.

I agree that this case is a nightmare. Hopefully we'll be able to get more answers soon.

I'm not saying PPD doesn't exist, whatever you wish to call it.

I'm saying that I am not rushing to the "poor thing" judgement IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.

Slicing open your babies and laying them carefully on a bed implies intent, not psychosis.

Murder charges mean apparently LE agree with me.

It could just be that this was a selfish, evil narcissist committing the ultimate in revenge against a straying husband.

If so, it's a major blow to women who genuinely ARE sick.

Overwhelmingly, PPD sufferers hurt THEMSELVES not their children.

It states that he was working on a car. Was it a hobby? I don't know? Was he trying to make extra cash on the side to support his growing family? I don't know? The only thing I know is what he has stated to the media and that is that he has no idea why or how this happened and that it was like she was possessed by a demon. Were there warning signs? According to his statement, there either were none, he ignored them, or he simply didn't know what to look for.

My mom, much younger than the mother in this case at the time, had three children (all girls) under the age of three. My father was a truck driver and was gone a lot. Both my mother's parents were already deceased and my father's parents made it very clear (to both their own daughters and both their daughter-in-laws) that they had already raised their children and they were not going to raise their grandchildren. I would go into everything my own mother went through in our very young years, but it would take a very long time, but trust me when I say she went through a lot! I do agree that it is too much for one person to handle, and it wasn't fair, but she did it.

I've been a member of this forum for a long time and I lurked for years before even becoming a member. One thing I do know is that mother's murder their child/ren every day. And maybe I do come across as really harsh, but I am not willing to immediately dismiss this woman's crimes over an assumption that she may be suffering from postpartum psychosis. I don't do that for other women who murder their children and I surely won't do it for her. I could just as easily make the assumption that she was on some type of illegal mind altering drug that led her to murder her children. We just don't know.

I will say that all our brave members here who have shared their own personal stories has really helped me understand just how serious postpartum psychosis is. I cannot even imagine how scary it is and I am in awe at your strength. I am really grateful to belong to such a wonderful forum and I hope that my immediate feelings about this case do not offend anyone. If it is found that she was suffering from postpartum psychosis, I do hope you can continue to help us through this case.

I agree that this case is a nightmare. Hopefully we'll be able to get more answers soon.

It depends on the person. People have been having children close in age, since the beginning of time. Plenty of people handle it fine. Others don't. I don't think it's fair to say, "it's too much to handle" when people have handled it well for centuries.

She had a husband and her MIL was there. We don't know about the rest of her family, but it appears this immediate family did help her and she was not alone. She was not a single mom. Heck, I've known single moms who have handled it better than entire families. A LOT of people handle more kids than that closer in age, and they do great. Not everyone struggles having young children.

You are right, we can't assume. Sane people have killed their children. She could be insane, or she could be sane. We don't know. You are right.

She is not under any sort of psychiatric hold, she's in jail charged with murder.

Says it all really.

It depends on the person. People have been having children close in age, since the beginning of time. Plenty of people handle it fine. Others don't. I don't think it's fair to say, "it's too much to handle" when people have handled it well for centuries.

She had a husband and her MIL was there. We don't know about the rest of her family, but it appears this immediate family did help her and she was not alone. She was not a single mom. Heck, I've known single moms who have handled it better than entire families. A LOT of people handle more kids than that closer in age, and they do great. Not everyone struggles having young children.

You are right, we can't assume. Sane people have killed their children. She could be insane, or she could be sane. We don't know. You are right.

BBM. Obviously, this mother did not handle it "well." Not quite sure where you get that either her husband or her MIL were in the house with her. She phoned her mother and she knew something was wrong yet the husband right across the street was clueless? I think that is baloney.

Postpartum depression and psychosis are not conditions that come on instantly but leave no symptoms. I also don't believe these children are dead because their mother instantly became possessed with "demons."

JMO

BBM. Obviously, this mother did not handle it "well." Not quite sure where you get that either her husband or her MIL were in the house with her. She phoned her mother and she knew something was wrong yet the husband right across the street was clueless? I think that is baloney.

Postpartum depression and psychosis are not conditions that come on instantly but leave no symptoms. I also don't believe these children are dead because their mother instantly became possessed with "demons."

JMO

I was speaking of the general statement that it's too much to handle. Many people handle it. Like I said in the comment you quoted. Some can handle it, some don't. Obviously, she couldn't. The MIL was there, because the woman harmed her. So, yes...she was in the house. How else would she have been harmed in the process?

We don't know if she was mentally ill. It's not like completely sane people don't gruesomely kill their children. It happens, there are documented cases. We can't say we KNOW that she is insane. She is sitting in jail, not a psychiatric facility. We don't know the evidence police have. The husband's point of view, is very skewed. He lost his children, his wife killed them. Who would want to believe they did that sane?

How do yo know she's insane? You don't. You can't. Not only are you not involved in the investigation, you aren't going to be the one evaluating her. We don't know how sane she is, until she is evaluated by professionals. I'm not saying that to devalue your opinion. I think it's really unfair to discount the opinion of others, because they decide not to form an opinion on her sanity right now.

ETA: UGH! I don't know why I keep saying MIL. It was her own mother. Sorry

I was speaking of the general statement that it's too much to handle. Many people handle it. Like I said in the comment you quoted. Some can handle it, some don't. Obviously, she couldn't. The MIL was there, because the woman harmed her. So, yes...she was in the house. How else would she have been harmed in the process?

We don't know if she was mentally ill. It's not like completely sane people don't gruesomely kill their children. It happens, there are documented cases. We can't say we KNOW that she is insane. She is sitting in jail, not a psychiatric facility. We don't know the evidence police have. The husband's point of view, is very skewed. He lost his children, his wife killed them. Who would want to believe they did that sane?

How do yo know she's insane? You don't. You can't. Not only are you not involved in the investigation, you aren't going to be the one evaluating her. We don't know how sane she is, until she is evaluated by professionals. I'm not saying that to devalue your opinion. I think it's really unfair to discount the opinion of others, because they decide not to form an opinion on her sanity right now.

It was her mother, not her MIL, who was in the home after she received a phone call from her daughter. She knew something was wrong. I'm not trying to discount your opinion, I'm trying to keep the facts straight.

I didn't suggest she is insane although she may well be. Mothers have been killing their children since time began and not all were "crazy." Some do it out of altruism or in revenge against their partner. This family was living in acute poverty.

This mother doesn't have to be in a psychiatric facility. Since she attempted suicide, my assumption is that she is on suicide watch. What I don't accept is the premise the father was totally clueless.

JMO

It was her mother, not her MIL, who was in the home after she received a phone call from her daughter. She knew something was wrong. I'm not trying to discount your opinion, I'm trying to keep the facts straight.

I didn't suggest she is insane although she may well be. Mothers have been killing their children since time began and not all were "crazy." Some do it out of altruism or in revenge against their partner. This family was living in acute poverty.

This mother doesn't have to be in a psychiatric facility. Since she attempted suicide, my assumption is that she is on suicide watch. What I don't accept is the premise the father was totally clueless.

JMO

I added an update in that post to which I clarified, that I meant her mother.

Her mother seems to be there for her, and in tune with her. I don't think she was doing anything alone, which is what has been eluded to many times in this thread. There has been this assumption that she was in the trenches raising these kids with no support. That does not appear to be the case. If she was/is mentally ill, it is absolutely possible for a spouse to not know. There is a secret shame to this, and many women don't speak up. The spouse can often tell themselves that they just need time to adjust, the baby is new, everyone is tired. If the mom keeps the worst of it internally, it can be very difficult to know how deeply someone is feeling depression. Not everyone even knows about PPD or psychosis. Not everyone is educated about mental health. If you don't know what to look for, you won't know it's there.

I have a family full of people with mental health issues. I have been surprised more than once, when a person snapped. I DO know what to look for, and even then...people can hide. Those closest are often the last to know.

I added an update in that post to which I clarified, that I meant her mother.

Her mother seems to be there for her, and in tune with her. I don't think she was doing anything alone, which is what has been eluded to many times in this thread. There has been this assumption that she was in the trenches raising these kids with no support. That does not appear to be the case. If she was/is mentally ill, it is absolutely possible for a spouse to not know. There is a secret shame to this, and many women don't speak up. The spouse can often tell themselves that they just need time to adjust, the baby is new, everyone is tired. If the mom keeps the worst of it internally, it can be very difficult to know how deeply someone is feeling depression. Not everyone even knows about PPD or psychosis. Not everyone is educated about mental health. If you don't know what to look for, you won't know it's there.

I have a family full of people with mental health issues. I have been surprised more than once, when a person snapped. I DO know what to look for, and even then...people can hide. Those closest are often the last to know.

BBM. I have no idea what you mean with this comment. She was in the house alone with the children, that is fact, not assumption. She phoned her mother and her mother came over because she sensed something wrong. To me, that is an indication the young mother didn't have the support she needed and the situation had escalated.

Her husband was right across the street yet she phoned her mother. I don't give him a free pass. Marriage is an equal partnership; the safety and care of children are supposed to be a priority.

JMO

You are right, there is no excuse. Still, I have compassion for the young mother and for her mother. I don't consider it to be an excuse but rather a reason to help understand the young mother's desperate actions. Three children under three years old would overwhelm anyone.

She called her mother earlier in the day and told her she was going crazy so that is why Grandma was there.

There isn't any excuse for the father to be across the street working on a car.
JMO

bbm

There could be a valid reason for him to be doing this, seems to me. That may be why her mother was there -- to help while the husband was fixing the car. It may be that it was their only car & it was not running and he prolly needed it to get to work, etc. And maybe there was a good area to work on it across the street, or maybe a neighbor offered to help & had the right tools & know-how. With 3 little ones, you never know when one of them needs to go to the doc, or just to keep up with doc appts, grocery-buying trips, and I can't imagine what-all with three itty-bitties... goodness gracious, it makes me dizzy. Just a thought...

I will say that I had a small bout of mini-PPD just for one day, luckily. I was fine the day before; I had no inkling that it was "on my doorstep." I remember well (it's been 30 years) waiting impatiently for DH to leave the house for work -- all I wanted to do was cry, cry, cry, but I didn't want to upset him. So he finally left, and I cried like a baby. I was so tired, I was breastfeeding, so no help there from anyone, and I wanted to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time. (Sound familiar??!!) A real pity party. Let me add that DH was a great help to me, so I did have that, and it was a big, big plus -- still I cried. By lunchtime, I was fine. --> I just wanted to say that it came upon me in a hurry & was gone in a hurry. But hurting a baby (x3) in any way at all, goes well beyond anything I could imagine. I can't stop shaking my head and being completely mystified and angry.

I am absolutely NOT trying to mitigate anything that she did, and I may be way wrong about the father & the car business -- Just thinkin' & sayin' ...

This is gonna be a tuff one, folks. Awful.

I'm not saying PPD doesn't exist, whatever you wish to call it.

I'm saying that I am not rushing to the "poor thing" judgement IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE.

Slicing open your babies and laying them carefully on a bed implies intent, not psychosis.

Murder charges mean apparently LE agree with me.

It could just be that this was a selfish, evil narcissist committing the ultimate in revenge against a straying husband.

If so, it's a major blow to women who genuinely ARE sick.

Overwhelmingly, PPD sufferers hurt THEMSELVES not their children.

I disagree with all of the above except the last portion. Yes, PPP (note) sufferers commit suicide more frequently than harming their children. But, the news doesn't talk about that. It's the silence of the illness. It's not sensational enough when a mother commits suicide. Suicide and infanticide is never okay.

This isn't a blow to women who fall mentally ill postpartum. LE will leave it up to her defense to have her evaluated. This is not their area of expertise. It tells me nothing. I don't know I've seen anything official of where she's being held, but she's likely in the psych portion of the holding facility. If you recall, Andrea Yates was convicted of murder and sentenced which was later overturned and she was sent to a mental facility. Didn't she lay each of her children on the bed together after drowning them?

The fact that CC called her mother and told her she felt was going crazy and not that she was ticked at her husband for straying gives more credence to a psychotic break than a jilted mother out seeking revenge. This is juxtaposition.

I'm sorry to be so long winded about this subject. Each new story of lives lost to this illness affects me so much it resonates in my soul.

Years ago I watched an episode of Oprah where she and her panel discussed PPD & PPP. Some psychiatrists believe the rise of PPD (less so PPP) are related to not only hormones, but to the stress that's placed on mothers so soon after a baby is born. The modern world if you will.

They discussed how in other countries around the world a mother with a newborn will be surrounded by family. This family helps her by caring for the child and the mother. Taking on the cooking and cleaning and care of other children. Allowing mother to get plenty of rest and to enable her to concentrate on caring for her newborns nursing/feeding needs. They stated the prevalence of PPD/PPP is much lower in those countries. I have no link to share on this, but I remember being greatly affected by the idea.

I wonder if we would see less of PPD & PPP if from the start there were strong family support. People who could live their lives with new mommy and baby and give them the outside care they need. Unfortunately, this is a pipe dream, many live far from their families. Families have their own lives to live. Imagine if you will.. what could be.

There's a lot of pressure to be "SUPER mommy". Lots of websites who will tell you what you're doing is wrong. We are overloaded with the images and stories of the perfect mom. Sites that tell us what we have to do to be the best mommy ever.

Somehow the pressure cooker we get stuck in needs to be released. Moms need to know this: There is no perfect mother. All we can do is love our children with all that we have. Hold them. Rock them. Kiss them. Tell them everyday that you love them. That's what being a mommy is all about.

I apologize again for being so wordy. This subject just hits my soul the way no other can.

bbm

Please, no apology necessary, Dis-user. None at all! I benefit & gain knowledge every time you post, and I would imagine that many of us do. Bringing things out in the open is a good thing -- for the speakers and for the listeners.
Thanks for your posts.

RBBM -- I think the most important issue is getting the information to everyone involved in this families life. Also, telling women they won't lose their children by admitting the severity of what they're going through.

Time and time again, every story I hear, the mother's biggest fear was losing her children to social services. I'm living proof that they don't come knocking on your door because you're sick. Tell anyone that will listen. It will be okay. There is help.

JMO

The thanks button wasn't enough. :tyou:

I disagree with all of the above except the last portion. Yes, PPP (note) sufferers commit suicide more frequently than harming their children. But, the news doesn't talk about that. It's the silence of the illness. It's not sensational enough when a mother commits suicide. Suicide and infanticide is never okay.

This isn't a blow to women who fall mentally ill postpartum. LE will leave it up to her defense to have her evaluated. This is not their area of expertise. It tells me nothing. I don't know I've seen anything official of where she's being held, but she's likely in the psych portion of the holding facility. If you recall, Andrea Yates was convicted of murder and sentenced which was later overturned and she was sent to a mental facility. Didn't she lay each of her children on the bed together after drowning them?

The fact that CC called her mother and told her she felt was going crazy and not that she was ticked at her husband for straying gives more credence to a psychotic break than a jilted mother out seeking revenge. This is juxtaposition.

Thank you for your candor. There is so much we still don't know about this mother and her situation. Rushing to judgment isn't going to change anything. A little compassion just might lead to more open minds.

JMO

Thank you for your candor. There is so much we still don't know about this mother and her situation. Rushing to judgment isn't going to change anything. A little compassion just might lead to more open minds.

JMO

Thank you, MyBelle. I hope in someway this discussion helps the many important women in our lives. We never know when it might hit someone we love.

Be there for one another. Let a mommy with a new baby know you're a soft place to fall and you'll listen and care for her with no judgement. This is imperative if we want to stop this.

We'll never be able to save everyone. If we can just save one.. just one. It won't be for naught.

Some of you may not believe in what I am going to say. But many of you will identify immediately.

Have you ever heard "you get one good child and one bad child"? Some prefer to say buzy instead of bad. Are you laughing now?

I was four weeks from the birth of number two when a wise older lady told me this. Hubby and I had taken number one for a long weekend. While we were at the pool, dear child was being his precious obnoxious self when the lady said this. She was very sweet and I took it as she was trying to comfort me as she could tell I was exasperated! I looked at her and said " well we know which one is inside then! Thank you so much!"!

Proved to be true! And has been the case in everyone I know - one friend didn't get her buzy child until number four!

The reason I bring this up is that in this case it makes me wonder if child number two or three was the buzy child? Second child at 16 months was still a baby, yikes! If she was the buzy child with sleeping issues, fuzzy, crying, demanding, just not a baby one could please, then add teething, plus jealousy from the new baby. This Momma may have just snapped!

From what I experienced, mothers who had the good child first, had a whole different perspective on motherhood after the second child was the buzy one.

This does not excuse the mom. This type story is becoming too frequent. Mental health has decreased in helping those seriously ill, but as a society, mothers need a way of being detected before they reach this stage. Is it getting the information to the husband, partner?

My opinions only.
I'm sorry but I completely disagree.There are no "good" or "bad" babies.They are all ultimate blessings.This lady decided to get married and have three children close in age.Did she realize it was too much after the second child?No,she was still taking sexy selfies on facebook.When she called her mother telling her she was going crazy that proves to me that she was sane enough to stop it right then and there and to walk away from the situation.IMO she decided to take it to the next level to show people around her how desperate she was .I'm sorry but I have no compassion for her,none whatsoever.

The Daily Mail:

Woman accused of stabbing to death three daughters also tried to kill her own mother, it's revealed as husband says he just wants her to get help

By Ryan Gorman and Michael Zennie 05:49 24 May 2014, updated 15:52 24 May 2014

The mother accused of stabbing her three young girls to death faces the possibility of the death penalty, but her husband only wants her to get help, relatives said.

Carol Coronado, 30, was found in bed with the bloody bodies of her children, Sophia, 3, Yazmine, 1, and two-month-old Xenia.....

(snip)

She then also tried to kill her mother, it has been revealed.

Husband Rodolfo was outside working on his car when the killings occurred. Relatives of his told the Daily Breeze that he 'doesn’t want anybody throwing the book at her' by condemning her to death or a life behind bars - 'he wants her to get help.'

(More@Link)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-revealed-husband-says-just-wants-help.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA Times:

Woman accused of killing 3 daughters could face death penalty

Murder charges filed against a West Carson mother accused of killing her three young daughters carries a special allegation that could bring the death penalty, prosecutors said.

But the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said Friday it would decide later whether to seek the death penalty against Carol Coronado, 30.

(snip)
"Right now, he's (husband RC) giving her the benefit of the doubt," relative (JC) said. "He just said he didn't believe he saw Carol — he saw a demon inside her. He said he doesn't blame Carol. He blames the … demon."

(snip)
"I don't know how I feel about the woman right now," he (JC) said. "I don't understand what was going on in that woman's head."

(More@Link)
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-children-killed-death-penalty-20140523-story.html

Huffington Post (via AP):

Mom In Custody After Allegedly Stabbing 3 Young Kids To Death
TAMI ABDOLLAHAP0

5/24/14 09:45 AM ET

This article contains descriptive details regarding the neighborhood and the home where the girls were found.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5385131

I'm sorry but I completely disagree.There are no "good" or "bad" babies.They are all ultimate blessings.This lady decided to get married and have three children close in age.Did she realize it was too much after the second child?No,she was still taking sexy selfies on facebook.When she called her mother telling her she was going crazy that proves to me that she was sane enough to stop it right then and there and to walk away from the situation.IMO she decided to take it to the next level to show people around her how desperate she was .I'm sorry but I have no compassion for her,none whatsoever.

RBBM -- and respectfully, I disagree: Sane mothers are not found nude in a pool of blood with their deceased babies. I always think of what was said by Carol Blocker -- mother of Melanie Stoker -- a young mother who committed suicide because of PPP

New mothers don't kill their babies, psychosis kills their babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMfP1u_QxY

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hillbillywest403
Back