GUILTY CA - Sophia, 2, Yazmine, 1, & Xenia Coronado, 2 mos, murdered, 20 May 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Daily Mail:

Woman accused of stabbing to death three daughters also tried to kill her own mother, it's revealed as husband says he just wants her to get help

By Ryan Gorman and Michael Zennie 05:49 24 May 2014, updated 15:52 24 May 2014

The mother accused of stabbing her three young girls to death faces the possibility of the death penalty, but her husband only wants her to get help, relatives said.

Carol Coronado, 30, was found in bed with the bloody bodies of her children, Sophia, 3, Yazmine, 1, and two-month-old Xenia.....

(snip)

She then also tried to kill her mother, it has been revealed.

Husband Rodolfo was outside working on his car when the killings occurred. Relatives of his told the Daily Breeze that he 'doesn’t want anybody throwing the book at her' by condemning her to death or a life behind bars - 'he wants her to get help.'

(More@Link)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...er-revealed-husband-says-just-wants-help.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBBM -- I truly feel for him. Husbands/partners are usually unsure of themselves when it relates to understanding their wives emotional and hormonal ups and downs. Considering how postpartum mental illness can elude medical staff, I certainly can't fault any father who has even less training about what to watch out for.

My own husband admitted he had no idea how truly sick I was. It wasn't until I was being released from the hospital that a family meeting was held at the hospital so he, my mother, MIL, sister, and SIL knew what to watch for.

What needs to happen is that same meeting I had upon release should be held before a mother is discharged from the hospital following the birth. Make it available to anyone the mother feels can be an advocate for her.

Considering the age of her youngest and how the mother was found in the home: I'd bet the farm she's been suffering from postpartum psychosis.

I'm one of the many women who suffered from PPP. Let me tell you, my symptoms eluded my family, GP, OB, and numerous visits to the ER. My daughter was born in March. I was finally admitted the end of May. Thankfully, I was never really alone for long with my children. I was afraid to be because of things I saw that weren't there. Things I thought I would do. Things I would see myself doing. I once saw a vision of me placing my daughters arm over a lit burner on the stove and watching her arm burn.

I had visions of harming my children. I had visions of harming myself. I was convinced that I was dying. I was convinced that the bushes outside had cameras that were spying on my mothering skills. I heard voices laugh at me when I tried to do anything. I would often hear whispers in my ear -- telling me the children were better off without me.

I could go on and on. I'm drawn to these stories because I think of how that could have been me. That could have been my children. I don't know that I would be here had it not been for my family being there for me, every moment I needed them.

Please, ladies, don't be afraid if this is happening to you. Being honest about what you're really going through will only bring good things. We don't have to suffer in silence anymore. If my small snippet of my PPP experience helps just one Mom, then it will do what I have hoped it would do.

Great post. Thank you for sharing. Brave and honest. Hugs.

So, it was mentioned upstream that she was in the military (Which branch? When? Where?) and had an injury (What type of injury?). Sorry if I missed this somewhere, TIA.

This is a really interesting discussion here re: ppp, etc. It seems many might be more empathetic to this type of disorder which results in the murder of a child than one which is sexually motivated by a male, though the end result is the same. Dead child. This is going to be one heck of a trial. jmo

So, it was mentioned upstream that she was in the military (Which branch? When? Where?) and had an injury (What type of injury?). Sorry if I missed this somewhere, TIA.

All we know is that she was in the Army. Enlisted right out of high school, but discharged due to an unknown injury. I posted this up thread.

CC isn't talking, so investigators have to put this together without her cooperation. (Also based on MSM reports)

:sigh:

#RIPAngelsCoronado

:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen specific details about that, Margarita. I'm sure it will come out as LE and media investigate and release information.

This is a really interesting discussion here re: ppp, etc. It seems many might be more empathetic to this type of disorder which results in the murder of a child than one which is sexually motivated by a male, though the end result is the same. Dead child. This is going to be one heck of a trial. jmo

I think those who are empathetic either have lived it themselves (thankfully with no loss of life) or have a family member who struggles with mental illness.

I said this on another thread a few months back. I don't automatically get upset when a mother who falls within the time frame for developing postpartum mental health issues does the unthinkable. I don't have the same feelings for a man who harms children. Mainly because: men don't suffer from the ill effects of birth and hormones physiologically or psychologically. The onslaught can be intense for some women. This just doesn't happen to men because they can't give birth.

Hope that makes some sort of sense. JMO.

Just thinking of how many times I was at the ER trying to convince the doctors and nurses I was dying during this. Going through my records and counting the EOBS, it looks like I was there a total of twenty-two times. Twenty-two times in a 9 week period.

Twenty-two times and it was never caught that there must be a serious issue I need to be admitted for. My mom later admitted she knew something was off and was disappointed each time I was released from the ER.

Is there medication out there that helps women who suffer from ppp? TIA

(O/T, I always remember and think about Brooke Shields when the subject of ppd comes up. I think that might have been the first time I heard of it).

Thanks again disguiseduser for being brave enough to talk about your experiences. Hopefully it helps someone who might find this forum in the future!

Is there medication out there that helps women who suffer from ppp? TIA

That's the scariest thing about this. No one medication works for all. Some may even exacerbate symptoms. I started off on Ativan & Zoloft (before being hospitalized). After it was all over, I was on Prozac (SSRI), Risperdal (Anti-psychotic), and Klonopin (Benzodiazepine). I was kept on these medications for two years before being slowly weaned.

Unfortunately, my cocktail may not work for other women. It's hit and miss with what will work. Which is another reason why hospitalization is so important. Dr's need to be able to keep their eye on patients who have a change in medication. They can make it much better, but they can also make it much worse.

That's the scariest thing about this. No one medication works for all. Some may even exacerbate symptoms. I started off on Ativan & Zoloft (before being hospitalized). After it was all over, I was on Prozac (SSRI), Risperdal (Anti-psychotic), and Klonopin (Benzodiazepine). I was kept on these medications for two years before being slowly weaned.

Unfortunately, my cocktail may not work for other women. It's hit and miss with what will work. Which is another reason why hospitalization is so important. Dr's need to be able to keep their eye on patients who have a change in medication. They can make it much better, but they can also make it much worse.

Again, thanks for posting. Are there any good support groups / organizations / treatment facilities, that you recommend? Maybe we can post them in case someone comes across this forum who could use the help?

Thanks again disguiseduser for being brave enough to talk about your experiences. Hopefully it helps someone who might find this forum in the future!

Thank you for sharing this with me. Having a kind ear and heart to us mothers who have been through this will only help to break the stigma and make it okay for us to talk about it. ((hugs))

Again, thanks for posting. Are there any good support groups / organizations / treatment facilities, that you recommend? Maybe we can post them in case someone comes across this forum who could use the help?

Most excellent suggestion! I know of no specifically named support groups that help mothers with PPD & PPP. I was admitted to the general psych ward with other patients who had ailments other than what I had. There are places in the world where specialized treatment includes baby going to hospital with mom. How amazing that would be to have here.

I do know that most hospitals offer support groups to mothers with PPD. Women can always seek those out by discussing it with their OB or GP or by calling the hospital where they delivered. Therapy is also important. Check with your treating physicians for info on that.

I don't know that's as helpful as I want to be. Our country is just not as progressed as others when it comes to PP mental health issues.

I have this video saved in my favorites on Youtube.

Postpartum Depression What You Need to Know

The only thing I would add to this: If you're having suicidal or homicidal thoughts -- you're in a true medical emergency. Please call 911 or go to your nearest hospital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6ALUrwSRM

A couple of things here, folks.

First, we don't know that this woman had PPD/PPP yet. The discussion is a very good one and there have been some excellent ideas posted for educating and helping those that find themselves facing this illness. Thank you all for that and for those that are sharing their own experiences. I don't want to discourage that discussion in any way except to say that it is being projected to the mom here and we need to be a little careful with that.

Second, it would be helpful to remember we are talking about toddlers here, little ones, so in describing the events that unfolded, it would be appreciated if the descriptions were not too graphic. We don't have a sensitivity rule, per se, and I understand many are angry but these three girls deserve words from the heart as opposed to words being used for shock value, kwim?

Thanks,

Salem

This is O/T:

If someone wanted to research support groups for PPP/PPD, we could ask to have the information added to our Resource Forum.

And second, it is worth thinking about contacting local congressmen/women and maybe trying to start a grassroots movement to ensure all new moms and their support network are educated about this illness before mom and new baby are released from the hospital.

I think these are awesome ideas for getting the word out and I will help however I can.

Salem

I haven't seen specific details about that, Margarita. I'm sure it will come out as LE and media investigate and release information.
I agree I want to hear more if she was truly under care if not I want the dp. iow no history mental health documented? then I want her to face death.

RBBM -- and respectfully, I disagree: Sane mothers are not found nude in a pool of blood with their deceased babies. I always think of what was said by Carol Blocker -- mother of Melanie Stoker -- a young mother who committed suicide because of PPP

New mothers don't kill their babies, psychosis kills their babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGMfP1u_QxY

New mothers kill their babies all the time. Psychosis isn't the only thing that kills babies. That's absolutely false.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NNT1
Back