CA CA - Stacey Smart, 51, Lewiston, Trinity Co, 12 Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The carpet changes are odd, Whitman acknowledged, but he added that Smart told a friend they planned to make this change to the carpeting before she went missing, and that friend spoke to investigators.

“We weren’t able to inspect the carpeting removed because he couldn’t tell us where it was,” Whitman said, adding that there were certainly pieces of carpet found around the property but none that matched.

Interesting coincidence that the flooring was changed? It would be much easier to accept that explanation if the boyfriend told what happened to the old flooring. In my area, we either pay for trash pickup or haul our garbage to the county "dump". Other than burning or illegal dumping, there just aren't that many ways to discard old carpet and what believable reason can there be for not saying what happened to it?

If any family members stop by here, I'd like to ask what size carpet was removed.

AuntB, about the carpet discard.... Maybe it was removed in strips and not a giant piece. Also, I've been thinking.... The fact that the wood underneath was not "new" does not mean it wasn't replaced.

I would check all bars. I read she was a drinker. Also. Where might the local dump be?

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

BBM

"Smart’s family noticed missing carpet in the home Brand and Smart shared. Brand said he and Smart had cut out a piece to make a nice entry to the master bedroom and he had made a design there with pieces of carpet."

"The carpet changes are odd, Whitman acknowledged, but he added that Smart told a friend they planned to make this change to the carpeting before she went missing, and that friend spoke to investigators."

Brand and Smart both are cutting out a piece of carpet together, a project well worth discussing with a friend.

Right. When was the carpet replaced again?

-Nin

Brand told the Journal he didn’t report Smart missing because he thought she had left him without letting him know. She had her own room in the home in addition to their shared room, and he’d been working long hours, said Brand, who said he provides home care for seniors.

“We weren’t able to inspect the carpeting removed because he couldn’t tell us where it was,” Whitman said, adding that there were certainly pieces of carpet found around the property but none that matched.

Furthermore, detectives have been unable to make contact with a key witness in the case — a woman who left the state, she said.

I don't know about SS, but most women I know aren't going to leave a man without letting him know. You're sharing a bedroom and excited about laying new carpet in the entry way, yet she has her own room and leaves without telling you? You can't remember what you did with a 5ft. piece of carpet? I know it was stated that he had some kind of production business, but I'm concerned about the home care he provides for seniors. The options for him disposing of the carpet are unlimited if he had access to client's homes/yards/trash services.

Is the key witness the ex girlfriend who lost her ring? Did she move out of state or was she just visiting? I'm so baffled that LE is not doing any forensics in SS's last known location. IMO, she did not leave. Her son was coming home in December and to not have any contact with family (especially when a death had occurred) makes no sense. The family is speaking in the comments on the KRCR link. Hopefully this case will garner more attention locally. MOO

http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/local/article_0186542a-b6a6-11e6-bebe-476f9dace23b.html
http://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-n...ty/papini-found-smart-still-missing/185233458

Bumping my spot and keeping Stacey's face and story out there.

Question? I don't know if this helps but has the daughter and sister been trying to utilize organization such as Texas Equusearch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about TE, but I did see on the HFSS FB that another search is planned for this coming Saturday, December 3rd. They need people with boats and people on foot. Still wondering about the depth of the lake. Seems to me that if TB was involved and thoughts are that she is in the lake, he would've gone to another area or farther away from his residence. Unless he had a boat that was docked on Lewiston Lake and he didn't have a trailer to move the boat. Do we know if he even owns a boat? JMO

Bumping my spot and keeping Stacey's face and story out there.

Question? I don't know if this helps but has the daughter and sister been trying to utilize organization such as Texas Equusearch?

Had she done this before? What caused him to conclude that?

Why? Who tolerates that sort of broken relationship? Is her stuff still in the room?

Didn't he originally tell SS family that they had broke up? Either he or SS family are lying here.

He was considered a POI? Why weren't we openly sleuthing him?

Mods, if everyone (including TB) is considered a POI, can we sleuth TB (and also the missing woman who left town)?

About the carpet:

There goes my smoking gun.

One of Brand's senior clients? A creeper? Does someone from around town or nearby towns own such a vehicle?
BBM

About sleuthing TB...here's my take...when there are a number of people considered POIs simply because they may have information, I don't think we should single out TB to sleuth unless the sheriff singles him out as "the POI" rather than one of many who probably have nothing to do with Stacey's disappearance. The sheriff seems to be somewhat satisfied with most of his answers for now. That could change as it did for Stephanie Warner's BF who was initially cooperative. After two months he was labeled a POI...the only one...and then we posted the results of our sleuthing. POI technically isn't a legal term like suspect. But a lot of times LE will single someone out as a POI before they're ready to label them as a suspect. I think that's what we have to wait for, but check with a mod for sure.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't know about SS, but most women I know aren't going to leave a man without letting him know. You're sharing a bedroom and excited about laying new carpet in the entry way, yet she has her own room and leaves without telling you? You can't remember what you did with a 5ft. piece of carpet? I know it was stated that he had some kind of production business, but I'm concerned about the home care he provides for seniors. The options for him disposing of the carpet are unlimited if he had access to client's homes/yards/trash services.

Is the key witness the ex girlfriend who lost her ring? Did she move out of state or was she just visiting? I'm so baffled that LE is not doing any forensics in SS's last known location. IMO, she did not leave. Her son was coming home in December and to not have any contact with family (especially when a death had occurred) makes no sense. The family is speaking in the comments on the KRCR link. Hopefully this case will garner more attention locally. MOO

http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/local/article_0186542a-b6a6-11e6-bebe-476f9dace23b.html
http://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-n...ty/papini-found-smart-still-missing/185233458

I'm not seeing anything in the links about an ex who lost a ring. Am I blind or is it in another link? I can't play the KRCR video so maybe it's in there? Thanks :)

BBM

About sleuthing TB...here's my take...when there are a number of people considered POIs simply because they may have information, I don't think we should single out TB to sleuth unless the sheriff singles him out as "the POI" rather than one of many who probably have nothing to do with Stacey's disappearance. The sheriff seems to be somewhat satisfied with most of his answers for now. That could change as it did for Stephanie Warner's BF who was initially cooperative. After two months he was labeled a POI...the only one...and then we posted the results of our sleuthing. POI technically isn't a legal term like suspect. But a lot of times LE will single someone out as a POI before they're ready to label them as a suspect. I think that's what we have to wait for, but check with a mod for sure.
Thanks!

If SS ran off with another man, where is all her stuff? Did she take it or leave it behind?

Kind of behind in reading, but here's a few snips from the article AuntB posted
from link: http://www.trinityjournal.com/news/local/article_0186542a-b6a6-11e6-bebe-476f9dace23b.html
Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet - way behind! :)

snipped... card last used 10/16 at approx. 6pm

The boyfriend, Tony Brand, had been living near the Pine Cove Marina by Lewiston Lake with Smart when she went missing around the middle of October. Her debit card was last used Oct. 16 at approximately 6 p.m. in Lewiston, investigators found.
Brand told the Journal he didn’t report Smart missing because he thought she had left him without letting him know. She had her own room in the home in addition to their shared room, and he’d been working long hours, said Brand, who said he provides home care for seniors.
“This whole time we’ve just been waiting for her to come back and show up and she hasn’t,” Brand said. “I just hope and pray that she’s OK. I do really love the girl and we did have a lot of good times.”

Thought he had previously said they broke up??

re lie detector test:

Brand acknowledged he was asked to take a lie detector test but said he didn’t flat out decline. He wanted to make sure it was done correctly and had not talked to his attorney at that point, Brand said.
He hasn’t been asked by the Sheriff’s Office to take a lie detector test since, he said, adding he doesn’t see the point since he is no longer considered by the Sheriff’s Office to be a person of interest in the case.
Detective Ron Whitman said Brand has been cooperative in the case and has allowed searches of the home and property. However, Whitman did say Brand declined a lie detector test, saying he wouldn’t take one without consulting an attorney first.
Although Trinity County Sheriff Bruce Haney told the Journal last week that the “boyfriend” is not currently considered a person of interest in the case, Whitman said everyone who had contact with Smart is a person of interest, and “we haven’t ruled out anybody.”

So, he IS still a person of interest, even though he, TB says he isn't...

Ah - there were sightings of Stacey, but no actual dates.

Whitman added that there have been several reported sightings of Smart in front of Weaverville Gas. She was reported to be with an older man in a green SUV. These are people that know her, “they saw and hugged her,” he said.
The people thought these sightings were within the week leading up to Halloween. Whitman said he has so far been unable to confirm this with surveillance video, although it might have been off-camera and the camera did cut out from time to time.

k - going to the next page to read more... :pcguru:

I'm not seeing anything in the links about an ex who lost a ring. Am I blind or is it in another link? I can't play the KRCR video so maybe it's in there? Thanks :)

I know I read that too, so I just read back through this thread looking for the ring reference and can't find it--although those KRCR videos won't play for me either.

Well, should have read further - as I see you all discussed most of what I said above! Sorry! Will read to end next time! :)

from the article (link above ^^)
Smart’s daughter, Nicole Santos-Hamann, reported her missing to the Trinity County Sheriff’s Office on Nov. 2 after Smart’s family had been unable to reach her for several weeks.

hmmm... I don't know if I would wait several weeks if I couldn't get in touch with my Mamma. Probably the 2nd day I couldn't reach her - I'd go checking where she lived.

JMHO!

this....
Furthermore, detectives have been unable to make contact with a key witness in the case — a woman who left the state, she said.

Maybe she left with her friend... but then she would contact her family, I would think!

Sorry, Lilibet. I thought it was on the HFSS page, but can't find it so it needs to be discounted as it may have been a rumor. Can you tell me how to edit the post or delete it in it's entirety? Thanks!

Sorry, Lilibet. I thought it was on the HFSS page, but can't find it so it needs to be discounted as it may have been a rumor. Can you tell me how to edit the post or delete it in it's entirety? Thanks!

It's sooooo hard to keep track of where we read stuff! It's probably too late to edit or delete. If you report your post and explain what you want mod-snipped that should work. It's up to you. At this point we have other rumors posted here, so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

It was on an online news article in the comments section,I believe KRTC (I think) about 5/6 page on this thread. It was from a woman who knows someone who said it (a rumor) but the woman wanted to let the sister of SS know what she had heard.

It was on an online news article in the comments section,I believe KRTC (I think) about 5/6 page on this thread. It was from a woman who knows someone who said it (a rumor) but the woman wanted to let the sister of SS know what she had heard.

It may have been deleted. And not sure if I spelt the news stations name correctly (acronym wise).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back