Silver Alert CA - Stephanie Menard, 73, Daniel Menard, 79, & Cuddles, white Shih Tzu, unlocked car found, Redlands, 24 Aug 2024 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. We were young, renting, plenty of financial resources.

Imagine the helplessness of having a psychopath for a neighbor. Being elderly, disabled, and not a lot of financial resources.

Do you remember that old movie with Melanie Griffith?

Ah, yes, very appropos!

Yes. We were young, renting, plenty of financial resources.

Imagine the helplessness of having a psychopath for a neighbor. Being elderly, disabled, and not a lot of financial resources.

Do you remember that old movie with Melanie Griffith?

Has it been said that the Menards had financial issues?

Part 3

Opens it for Q&A about 6 minutes in.

DA / RPD Chief Presser part 4:

(picking it up where part 3 left off, 10 minutes or so in and still during Q&A)

Q: How long do you think they had been there?

A (DA): I do not know. I think obviously, when the coroner and the pathology is done, there will be a better idea of what we're talking about in terms of time frame. But again, for our purposes, understanding that they both had been killed, that's what's most relevant to us in terms of the charges.

Q: Would you say at this point that this was premeditated?

A (DA): I would not be able to say that at all, no (as in too soon to know, it sounds like)

Q: We haven't looked at the complaint yet, but we were sort of wondering, some of the neighbors said there was some tension over a tree or something, do you have any information...

A (DA): I do not have any further information on that. I don't know if that's something the Chief wishes to...

Q (interrupts) So nothing in the complaint?

A (DA): Nothing in the complaint.

Our complaint is that the 2 substantive charges, count 1, count 2, the special allegation in terms of multiple murders, and then, as required by law in California, we also add factors and aggrevation that we think are present that we would have to prove at a later stage.

We don't get into the whole... Your question is a good one, but we're not required to do that in terms of the process, and that's probably not something we would even comment on at this time.

Q: Chief, do you have anything to add?

A (RPD Chief): To the same point, we're still investigating that to be able to answer that. So at this point we're not going to be able to comment further on that.

Q: So at this point you don't anything about the relationship (between Sparks and the Menards, presumably) and you don't know anything about what the motive was?

A (RPD Chief): Correct. I know that they were neighbors, but I can't speak to the motive at this point.

Q: Chief, this your community, I know that you guys worked so hard on this, and were out there, and I know that, from Sunday to Thursday, is there anything you wish to say to the people of Redlands about how seriously you took this? or?

A (RPD Chief): Like I started out with, my condolences. And I want to echo his (DA) thanks to our community that stepped up and reached out and communicated with us throughout the investigation.

We took it very seriously, as you know from being out there, we were out there continually, from Thursday on and like I said, I'm very thankful for all of the partners, including our community, that came together to see the investigation through to fruition.

Q: Have you seen anything like this before? Do you have any thoughts on this?

A (RPD Chief): Certainly it is a...um, I'm not sure I've seen this type of a case. Certainly is concerning and I'm thankful to my partners here (gestures to DA) who have spent the weekend with us sorting through the case and investigation. They'll be able to bring some justice for the Menards.

Q: Just to clarify, he (Sparks) had texted his own family members, correct?
(The info that led to the tip while LE was on scene that said he had killed them and was going to commit suicide) (about 12:50 into presser)

A (RPD Chief): Yes. He had reached out to them. I believe that there may have been other people that he texted. But yes, the initial 911 call that started our focus on him was from the (Sparks) family.

Q: Do you have any information about why the (Menards) vehicle was found where it was? Like had they been driving it?

It's just a weird piece of the puzzle that it was found abandoned half a mile down the road. The keys were still in the ignition, do you know if they were trying to get away maybe?

A (RPD Chief): I don't have the answer to that right now.

Q (overlapping questions): What about the dog?

A (RPD Chief): At this point we don't have any information on the whereabouts of the dog, no.

Q: Is there any evidence in the car or where it was found? Blood or anything like that?

A (RPD Chief): Uh, no. No there's not [come on, media person, it would have been towed and/or not returned to the RV park if so!]

Ok, that's going to be the conclusion to our press conference today. Thank you guys so much for attending. I am going to be releasing the complaint shortly, the case number shortly thereafter, and follow up on the arraignment date.

Someone mentioned that a neighbor was taking leftovers to them for dinner. And based on their car, an older Buick, I don't think that they had a lot of resources. I could be incorrect though. But, if they had, they probably would have moved away from this neighbor.

See some snippets from this article that allude to what seems to be that possibility.

It also references many of those who lived there being seniors living on fixed incomes.

Rodriguez said the Menards complained that management was demanding membership fees from them and restricting the couple’s pool privileges.

”When they would go to the pool someone would harass them for money,” Rodriguez said. “People started poking around their RV and their mobile home, so what we did is we opened up our home to them. They would come every Friday, and if I had extra food, I would share it with them. They were good people. All they wanted to do was sing karaoke and hang out by the pool.”

In March, Storm, the eight-year resident, said management began serving eviction notices and raising rents. Stephanie Menard was one of the more engaged residents, attending meetings they had about the dispute.

Someone mentioned that a neighbor was taking leftovers to them for dinner. And based on their car, an older Buick, I don't think that they had a lot of resources. I could be incorrect though. But, if they had, they probably would have moved away from this neighbor.
They probably never dreamed it would end to murder.

NameMichael Royce Sparks
Parents Margaret Louise Mathewson, Ronald Royce Sparks
Event TypeBirth
Event Date05 Aug 1962
Event PlaceOlmsted, Minnesota, United States
File Number1962-MN-021782
"Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VC5W-11G : 6 May 2014), Michael Royce Sparks, 05 Aug 1962; from "Minnesota Birth Index, 1935-2002," database, Ancestry(Ancestry® | Family Tree, Genealogy & Family History Records : 2004); citing Olmsted, Minnesota, United States, Minnesota Department of Health, Minneapolis.

Edit to add his mother’s and father’s obituaries that shed some light into the places where they stayed
I wonder if the death of Michael Sparks' father earlier this year triggered something in him. Based on the obituary, Ron Sparks led a very fulfilling life. Michael's mother died several years ago. Michael's 3 siblings all have children of their own and still live in his home state of Minnesota. Perhaps Michael wasn't happy with the trajectory of his own life compared to others, and acted out in a violent way.

From reading the press interview above, I have to ask "Why bother?" All those questions, and zilch answers.
I think their goal was: 1) to thank the community, the investigators and the various agencies (many people gave up their long weekend to work on this case); 2) to address the charges that they made, showing action and semi-resolution; 3) to give a few crumbs to the media who helped get the case out to the public early on in the investigation; 4) to explain why they decimated the house.
I appreciated that they said something, rather than nothing. I learned a few things (that I mentioned in a previous post) and I know a bit more.

ETA: as an aside I want to thank Michael Sparks' family member who phoned in the tip. I can't imagine what they were going through and are still going through! You did the right thing. <hugs>

Has anyone posted the alleged tree yet?
I got to see this tree.
It has got to be all over google images to have been an issue for this long.
Yes I can look myself ,but I kinda feel we need to document it here.
All these cheap apps. stole my skills.

I also think Snoopster was on to something when they posted number 4.
That was the most extreme house raid I ever seens ...fast to the point and effective. I kinda hope this is not the new model of how things go ..even though in this case it worked out really well for them.

Last edited:
I’ve been following this case from afar firstly, RIP to the Menards.

This is just a tragic- they seemed like lovely people who were well thought of within the community.

I’m going more down the route of this being a ‘fly off the handle’ type murder rather than a carefully planned attack - to leave the bodies under his house suggests this to me as surely he realised living in such close proximity to the Menards and having a volatile relationship with them would make him a prime suspect.

The poor dog not being found suggests he ran away scared - in that area a tiny dog doesn’t really stand a chance with the wildlife

I wonder if the death of Michael Sparks' father earlier this year triggered something in him. Based on the obituary, Ron Sparks led a very fulfilling life. Michael's mother died several years ago. Michael's 3 siblings all have children of their own and still live in his home state of Minnesota. Perhaps Michael wasn't happy with the trajectory of his own life compared to others, and acted out in a violent way.
I guess I thought the same from reading the obit. Maybe not a trigger, per se, but feel he might have lived his whole life as an outsider to the rest of the family... resentments build, temperaments lock in.

Neighbor charged with murder in disappearance of Redlands couple​

REDLANDS, Calif. (KABC) -- The man accused of killing a Redlands couple - who were initially reported missing - has been charged in connection to their deaths, authorities announced.

Michael Royce Sparks, 62, was charged with two counts of murder and two special circumstance allegations.

"From the beginning of this case, what we were impressed by were the community members, the friends and loved ones who learned about the Menards and came forward to indicate that things weren't right," said San Bernardino County District Attorney Jason Anderson during a Tuesday news conference.

Sparks is expected to be arraigned on Wednesday. With those charges, the DA could decide to seek the death penalty.

According to Redlands Police Chief Rachel Tolber, a family member told officers Sparks had admitted to killing two people.

"It was while our teams were on site that the police dispatcher received information from an individual identified as a family member indicating that [Sparks] was involved in the disappearance and had admitted to killing two people and was threatening suicide," said Tolber.

She says it was clear the couple and Sparks hated each other. It likely started with a dispute over a pepper tree. Dan Menard asked Sparks to trim it and when he refused, Menard cut it himself, Wilkerson said. But there were probably other conflicts as well, she said.

Suspect, murdered Redlands couple had bad blood over tree on property line, neighbor says​

REDLANDS, Calif. - San Bernardino County District Attorney Jason Anderson today filed two counts of murder with special circumstances against Michael Sparks in the deaths of Daniel and Stephanie Menard in Redlands. A neighbor said the couple and the suspect recently had arguments over a tree on the line between their properties.

Tammie Wilkerson has only lived here at the Olive Dell Ranch Nudist Resort since May. She said the Menards were her friends, and Sparks was her next-door neighbor.

"I'm glad it's special circumstances, cause that carries the death penalty," said Wilkerson.

Man charged with murder in suspected dismemberment of elderly couple reported missing from California nudist resort

Police dispatchers received information from an individual, identified as a family member, indicating that the suspect, Michael Sparks, was involved in the disappearance and had admitted to killing two people and was threatening suicide,” Redlands Police Chief Rachel Tolber said during a news conference on Tuesday, Sept. 3, at the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office.
District Attorney Jason Anderson announced the filing of two counts of murder against Sparks, 62, of Redlands, including special circumstance allegation of committing multiple homicides. Sparks will be arraigned Wednesday, Sept. 4, in San Bernardino Superior Court, he said.

“I want to say that, from the beginning of this case, what we were impressed by were the community members, the friends and loved ones who were so concerned about the Menards that they came forward to indicate that things weren’t right,” Anderson said.

The crime, the most gruesome case in recent memory in Redlands, has made national headlines because the victims lived at a nudist ranch and had been dismembered.

It was unclear where, when and how the Sparks were killed. Tolber said there was no blood or other evidence of foul play found at their car. Anderson said there were cutting tools found in Sparks’ basement, but no clear indication they were used, or could have been used, to dismember the bodies.

Anderson said police are certain the remains found at Sparks’ home are those of the Menards, and were able to confirm their identities from the crime scene photos. He said the autopsy findings should be able to determine a time of death.

He said the Coroner’s Office was conducting the autopsy Tuesday, and expects to positively identify the remains sometime this week.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarryG
Back