GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If Durst has sepsis he wouldn’t be in court he’d be in intensive care. If this is true it’s quite alarming. As much as I want him to be held accountable after all this time, I also want him still alive when the verdict is read. Additionally, if the defense are saying he has a UTI, that can cause mental disturbances, confusion, hallucination especially in a man of Durst’s age. His defense team will milk this diagnosis for all its worth, but as he’s in that courtroom and has the conscious of mind to be keeping track of the trial I doubt a doctor would have even cleared him to be there if they were concerned about sepsis. I was 25 years old when I contracted it and I spent 2 weeks in hospital and have only very hazy memory of that entire time, it was the worst experience of my life. Someone of Durst’s age with that diagnosis should be on IV antibiotics, IV fluids, and his blood pressure being monitored every couple of hours to assess his condition. Maybe he was slightly septic at one point, because if he has sepsis right now he should be in hospital receiving treatment and under observation, it’s not the flu or a UTI it is blood poisoning and will kill a young healthy person within hours.

Tweets continued from Wed., 6/16:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
#RobertDurst - Lewin: Are you aware of your attorney discussing with the defense team about you being called as a witness?
Oliver's personal attorney got up and objected.

Oliver attorney.jpg

Lewin asking Oliver he if made a statement saying that Nick Chavin was not being a good friend to Durst by going to authorities and telling them about Durst's confession. He's not answering the question.

Oliver.jpg

Lewin: Isn't it true that you were upset that Nick Chavin told authorities about Bob confessing?
Oliver: I don't understand the question, can you repeat it?

Oliver finally admits that he did say that Chavin should have kept his mouth shut about what Bob told him.

Lewin: Did you ever ask Bob if what Nick Chavin testified to was true?

Oliver: No

Lewin: You didn't want to know the answer, did you?

Oliver: I don't know how to answer that question other than I didn't ask.

Lewin: Did he ever tell you that he found Susan's body and he panicked?

Oliver: I don't recall him telling me that. (I would think that's something he'd remember)

Lewin: Have you ever asked Bob if he killed Kathie?

Lewin: Isn't it true that you haven't asked him because you're afraid of the answer?

Lewin: Isn't it true that you've said you can't imagine Bob dismembering someone?

Oliver: I don't like to think about that.

Lewin: Isn't it true the reason you have claimed memory issues is you want to protect Mr. Durst?

Oliver: I have not claimed memory issues.

Court is back in session following the lunch break. Douglas Oliver is now under cross-examination by Dick DeGuerin. When cross started before lunch, Oliver surprisingly was remember things better. ;-)

WHEW! Douglas Oliver is excused subject to recall.

Judge: I hope you have a tape.
Lewin: We do
Judge: (laughs) because I can't take anymore witnesses today.

#RobertDurst waives to his friend Douglas Oliver as he leaves the witness stand.

NOW: Previous recorded testimony of Ricki Ring. Ricki was college roommates with Susan Berman and remained friends until Susan's death.

Ring.jpg

The day ended with the testimony of Richard Markey. He was the last person to see Susan Berman alive (except for the killer). They had gone to dinner and movie on Dec. 22, 2000. His testimony will continue tomorrow.

Markey.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Thursday, June 17th:
*Trial continues (Day 17) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-15 (5/18/21 thru 6/15/21) reference post #318 here:
CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*

6/16/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 16: From yesterday: Defense attorney DeGuerin wants a hearing so he can call Durst's doctor to testify about his health. He wants it today since the jury is leaving early. Lewin objected that it was short notice for a hearing. Judge will consider. Today, 6/16: Judge is ruling on defense mistrial brought up at the end of yesterday regarding Durst's medical condition & continuing the trial. Judge again denies defense request.
State witnesses: Douglas Oliver has returned to the stand. He is still under direct examination. Ricki Ring, recorded testimony; college roommate of Susan. Richard Markey, recorded testimony; last person to see Susan alive (except for killer). His testimony will continue tomorrow. Trial continues on 6/17/21.

Prosecution’s clash with the witness Oliver was a real grind - but for Oliver even more than for the rest of us! Lewin wore & wore on him & when they got to the info he needed - the Nick chavin stuff - Oliver was worn down I can’t help liking Lewin

Tweets for Thursday, June 17th:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
14m
#RobertDurst - Court is getting ready to resume.

Durst.jpg

One thing to note - the attorneys go hard at each when arguing, etc... but during breaks, they are very friendly.

Attorneys.jpg

Continuing with the testimony of Richard Markey. He went to dinner and a movie with Susan Berman on Dec. 22, 2000, the last time she was seen alive. After his testimony there will be 2 in-person witnesses.

Markey.jpg

Now on the stand is Susan Berman's hair stylist, David Izenman.

David.jpg

Izenman testifies that Susan Berman told him if she needed money, "Bobby will send me checks.

Pictures.jpg

- Izenman says Susan Berman was becoming more stressed. She was out of money, couldn't pay him for hair. "The laughs were gone." She couldn't pay her rent.

Reminder: Prosecution alleges Susan Berman was blackmailing Durst toward the end because she needed money. She had told him authorities had contacted her about Kathie's disappearance.

Picture2.jpg

Check from Robert Durst to Susan Berman for $25K deposited 11/21/00, approx. one month before she was murdered.

Check.jpg

Next on the stand is retired LAPD homicide detective Brad Roberts.

Roberts.jpg

Retired detective Brad Roberts was the lead investigator in Susan Berman's murder.

will continue tweets tomorrow morning....

All this testimony about Susan Berman makes clear what a fabulous, fun & generous person she was … the more I hear, the harder it gets to think about how her life ended :mad:

Tweets from Thursday, June 6/17.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
11h
#RobertDurst - Um....prosecutor Lewin just put on the record that he changed Durst's urine bag for him during the lunch break.

Attorneys.jpg

Judge noted that Lewin did say on the record that he had experience with catheters and it's fine. Lewin noticed it was full and no one could help Durst so he offered his help. He went in the back room with a bailiff and Durst and changed the bag.

AND THEN..if this isn't strange enough, the only response from the defense about Lewin helping change Durst's catheter bag was Dick DeGuerin, "I only have one question...did you wash your hands?" WTH??!!

Alfred Clethen's testimony is being played. He was friend's with Susan Berman. He said Berman was excited that "Bobby" was coming for the holidays.

Alfred.jpg

I'm not sure why the prosecution went ahead with this testimony. When Clethen testified it was before the defense stipulated that Durst was there, found Berman's body and wrote the cadaver note. His testimony was to show Durst was coming to town, which is now moot

Next up is Emily Altman. Her husband was good friends with Durst and Durst's attorney at one time. The state accidentally have some jurors unredacted transcripts. Court took a break to get it straightened out.

Altman.jpg

INSIDE THE COURTROOM: It's very WARM. Jurors look a bit agitated during this testimony. Could be the heat, trying to follow this testimony w/o transcript & reading the monitor or a combination of both.

Judge Criss - presided over Morris Black trial - believes Robert Durst left a severed cat's head on her doorstep.

INSIDE THE COURTROOM - Defense attorney David Chesnoff left the courtroom with his bags. (Defense flies home Thursday nights)

Robert Durst’s Prosecutor Put on Record That He Gave the Accused Murderer a Hand—with His Urine Bag

Durst.jpg

And that's all there is of the tweets - court is dark on Fridays, so trial continues on Monday, 6/21/21.

Such a crazy trial - probably 10x more interesting than any other one I’ve ever watched. It’s amazing TV but lacking the solemnity of justice ….

hopefully this might be how Susan Berman would’ve had it anyway, given her amazing flair for the drama of life. She was a writer & since her death reality & entertainment have merged in a way no one ever would’ve imagined. So here she is, starring in the greatest bit of reality TV ever made & written almost entirely by her …. until Durst stole it at the end. Maybe she wrote that part too, given her early beginning with the mob, lifelong paranoia about being murdered, and choice to include Durst in her life warts & all.

anyway it’s certainly an ongoing tribute to her as we hear from an endless succession of people (~100 IIRC) who came across her in a chance encounter & wound up loving her intensely until the day she was coldly murdered by Durst.

Prosecution’s clash with the witness Oliver was a real grind - but for Oliver even more than for the rest of us! Lewin wore & wore on him & when they got to the info he needed - the Nick chavin stuff - Oliver was worn down I can’t help liking Lewin
I like Lewin and found this entire exchange to be quite comical. Oliver was not fooling me with his dumbfounded act. I sure hope that he didn't fool the jury. BTW - I totally believe that Durst "killed them all."

JMO.

Tweets from Thursday, June 6/17.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
11h
#RobertDurst - Um....prosecutor Lewin just put on the record that he changed Durst's urine bag for him during the lunch break.

View attachment 301164

Judge noted that Lewin did say on the record that he had experience with catheters and it's fine. Lewin noticed it was full and no one could help Durst so he offered his help. He went in the back room with a bailiff and Durst and changed the bag.

AND THEN..if this isn't strange enough, the only response from the defense about Lewin helping change Durst's catheter bag was Dick DeGuerin, "I only have one question...did you wash your hands?" WTH??!!

Alfred Clethen's testimony is being played. He was friend's with Susan Berman. He said Berman was excited that "Bobby" was coming for the holidays.

View attachment 301165

I'm not sure why the prosecution went ahead with this testimony. When Clethen testified it was before the defense stipulated that Durst was there, found Berman's body and wrote the cadaver note. His testimony was to show Durst was coming to town, which is now moot

Next up is Emily Altman. Her husband was good friends with Durst and Durst's attorney at one time. The state accidentally have some jurors unredacted transcripts. Court took a break to get it straightened out.

View attachment 301166

INSIDE THE COURTROOM: It's very WARM. Jurors look a bit agitated during this testimony. Could be the heat, trying to follow this testimony w/o transcript & reading the monitor or a combination of both.

Judge Criss - presided over Morris Black trial - believes Robert Durst left a severed cat's head on her doorstep.

INSIDE THE COURTROOM - Defense attorney David Chesnoff left the courtroom with his bags. (Defense flies home Thursday nights)

Robert Durst’s Prosecutor Put on Record That He Gave the Accused Murderer a Hand—with His Urine Bag

View attachment 301167

And that's all there is of the tweets - court is dark on Fridays, so trial continues on Monday, 6/21/21.
It was kind of Lewin to take care of this basic need of Durst's with such dignity, which is more than Robert Durst granted his wife, Kathleen Durst or those who loved her and want her to be put properly to rest, his friend and fellow tenant Morris Black who also deserved to be put properly to rest (with his entire body, including his head which surely bore the evidence that would have refuted Durst's self-defense claim), or his longtime friend, Susan Berman - who trusted him so much she believed she could turn her back to him.

Also it was impossible to miss how Durst’s own lawyers turned their noses up at helping him - only Lewin the prosecutor was willing to pitch in & make sure Durst didn’t have to go without the help he needed
Probably a defense ploy to have him declared unfit for trial because he needs medical assistance. And maybe Durst is drinking more so it fills up faster. I watched him glugging away at his water bottle the other day, actually thought he might drown if he didn't take a breather.

Monday, June 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 18) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-16 (5/18/21 thru 6/16/21) reference post #323 here:

6/17/21 Thursday, Trial Day 17: State witnesses: Richard Markey, recorded testimony continues from yesterday. David Izenman, Susan's hair stylist. Retired LAPD homicide detective Brad Roberts, was lead investigator in Susan's murder. Alfred Clethen recorded video testimony played. Friend of Susan's. Emily Altman, her husband was good friends with Durst & Durst's attorney at one time. Trial continues on Monday, 6/21/21.

Tweets from Monday, 6/21

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
13h
WATCH LIVE: #RobertDurst trial continues today with the testimony of Durst's friend Emily Altman.

Durst.jpg

We are on the record. Dick DeGuerin said that Durst had a medical appointment on Friday and no one came to get him.

Attorneys.jpg

Reminder: tomorrow is dark for another medical appointment Durst has.

Again talking about the inability to meet in person with their client. Lewin says they've had plenty of time knowing he was going to testify since Dec of 2019. DeGuerin reminds that he himself wasn't allowed to travel during Covid.

Judge Windham tells DeGuerin he's had plenty of time and still has plenty of time going forward to meet with their client preparing for him to testify.

Now continuing with testimony from Durst's friend, Emily Altman. She testified in 2017.

Altman.jpg

Altman says the Bob Durst she knows wouldn't physically assault Kathie. Lewin asks her if she would be surprised to learn that Durst admits to being physically violent. She said yes, that surprises her.

Emily Altman testifies that she never wanted to believe Bob killed Kathie. She never asked him. Lewin suggests she never asked him because she didn't want to know the answer.

Morning break until 10:35 pt/1:35 et.

A witness the defense plans to call is Dr. Milton Altshuler. He's the doctor that diagnosed Durst w/Asperger's during the Black trial. He is 95 yrs old and became very sick in May 2020. Lewin told defense he'd agree to testimony via video. No decision has been made

Court back in session. Lewin asking Altman about Durst's relationship with his brother Douglas Durst. She agreed that Bob hated Douglas.

Before court resumed, Durst faced the jurors when they returned back to the courtroom, he complained that the TV monitor was blocking his view of some of the jurors.

So - the court is dark today...

It’s a far more boring day when this circus isn’t in session!

the recorded testimony of Emily Altman is again so hard to hear …. there were whole exchanges that I basically missed & gave up on. There was a big dust-up re an admission she made …. mostly incomprehensible…. Her husband is Durst’s sometimes-lawyer in addition to lifelong friend - I think the big admission was timeline-related in a way that would’ve undermined privilege in some communications with her husband, but since this all went down 3-4 years ago now, I guess it’s long resolved & just a sideshow now ….. Sure would’ve been nice to be able to understand it!

The video testimony is a bummer to begin with because it only captures “the record,” no interesting sideshows. Couldn’t they at least stream the footage as they show it so gawking rubbernecks like me can see it too….

Wednesday, June 23rd:
*Trial continues (Day 19) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-17 (5/18/21 thru 6/17/21) reference post #334 here:

6/21/21 Monday, Trial Day 18: State witnesses: Emily Altman continues recording video testimony. A witness the defense plans to call is Dr. Milton Altshuler. He's the doctor that diagnosed Durst w/Asperger's during the Black trial. He is 95 yrs old & became very sick in May 2020. Lewin told defense he'd agree to testimony via video. No decision has been made. Tomorrow, 6/22/21 is dark for another medical appointment Durst has. Trial continues on 6/23/21.

for Wednesday, 6/23 tweets:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
WATCH LIVE: #RobertDurst returns to court today after court was dark yesterday due to a medical appointment for the defendant. Court should start around 9am PT/12pm ET.

Durst.jpg

- Retired detective Paul Coulter is on the stand. He investigated Susan Berman's death.

Coulter.jpg

Writing more notes. He's very involved in every witness.

Durst2.jpg

A lot of time is being spent going over Durst's handwriting with retired homicide detective. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY. Durst has admitted to writing the "cadaver" note. There's no reason to spend all this time on his handwriting. This trial is going to last forever

Note.jpg

So I think Bob's bag is full. Yes, I am now reporting on accused murderer urine.

Durst3.jpg

Juror #14 sent a note: Is there an estimated time for the end of trial?
Lewin: state will wrap by end of July if not sooner.
Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) and thinks 2 weeks for their case.
End of August is estimate.

Jury.jpg

A lot of talk/testimony/evidence about guns today. Reminder: No gun has ever been tied to Susan's murder. Guns shown today were Durst's guns sent to L.A. authorities after Morris Black trial.

Defense.jpg Defense2.jpg

I suppose state wants to show the jury that Durst owned guns/familiar with guns. Susan Berman was shot with a 9mm. Durst owned a 9mm. However, DeGuerin just pointed out how popular a 9mm gun is.

He owned the same caliber of gun at the same time Berman was shot and killed.

One more thing about this, DeGuerin is holding the .22 and demonstrating cocking it back, and possibly getting a blood blister, etc... Morris Black was killed with the .22. Susan Berman was killed with a 9mm. So why is he doing any demo in court w/.22?

#RobertDurst turns around and takes a peek while they are getting ready for the next witness.

Durst4.jpg

have reached my limit on pix - continued in next post...

Tweets for Wed., 6/23 continued....

Former Saturday Night Live case member, Laraine Newman, is on the stand. She was friends with Susan Berman.

Newman.jpg

This is Laraine Newman in the cast of Saturday Night Live - far right - as "Connie Conehead". (Getty)

Connie.jpg

They have adjourned for the day. In the morning they will play Stewart Altman's testimony. Laraine Newman will be back at 1pm PT. Court is sending at 2:30pm PT tomorrow
Levity at the end of the day: While discussing tomorrow's schedule the judge says he needs to check with his staff, "I don't just boss people around."
Lewin: Except for me.
Judge Windham: Yes, I boss you around.
David Chesnoff: With no success

It was originally slated for 4-5 months. So, 3 months isn't looking so bad.....relatively speaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
workerbma
Back