GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So Lewin is establishing that Bob's memory isn't all that good.....or perhaps Bob "misspoke" .
He is basically saying that Bob and/or his defense team manufactured all of those lovely family stories for sympathy from the jury.

And now they are going after his 'memories' of his mom's death. Seem to be implying that he exaggerated those memories as well.

He is basically saying that Bob and/or his defense team manufactured all of those lovely family stories for sympathy from the jury.

And now they are going after his 'memories' of his mom's death. Seem to be implying that he exaggerated those memories as well.
I'm not even sure I would call it an exaggeration, his brother Douglas Durst said it never happened, so I think fabrication is more Lewin's angle. A pathological liar.

Interesting how Durst asked Lewin to call him Sir.

I think it gave a fascinating glimpse into his mind, and it satisfied an impulse, made him feel good to exercise that small amount of power over Lewin. I think he hates Lewin. He has a quick temper, and I can easily see now how he would end up snapping and kicking the guy (the one who landed on his shoe :rolleyes: ) after flipping his plate of drugs off the table.

Tuesday, August 17th tweets:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
14h
#RobertDurst - DeGuerin: About Nick Chavin, did you say to him regarding Susan Berman, 'it was her or me?'

Durst: No

Durst.jpg

Again DeGuerin asks Durst about this important moment:
Durst: "I never told Nick Chavin is was her or me."

NOW: Cross-examination of Robert Durst by prosecutor John Lewin!

Lewin tells Durst he's spent hundreds if not 1000 hours preparing for this.

Durst is being very careful and is now reading every word on the iPad. He didn't have to do that under direct examination.

One thing I do know is the jurors seem to like John Lewin.

Lewin: Under direct, you said the reason you spoke to me is you were looking for a plea bargain. Making sure that's not where you are today?
Durst: What I want today is to be acquitted.

Durst: I remember almost nothing of Morris Black's dismemberment. It was a horrible event. I would not let myself think about it.

Court is back in session following the lunch break. John Lewin continues cross exam of defendant Bob Durst.

John Lewin is going to be replaying clips from Durst's direct examination. He is using @LawCrimeNetwork footage (with permission).

Durst2.jpg

Lewin just got Bob to say that if he did kill Kathie, if he did murder Morris Black, if he did kill Susan.... he wouldn't tell the jury.

On working with Andrew Jarecki on HBO's "The Jinx", Bob says, I would agree that everything I did with Mr. Jarecki was a mistake."

Andrew.jpg

Lewin: Would you agree that keeping track of your lies isn't one of your strong points?
Durst: I don't agree or disagree.

Durst I HAD TO LIE ABOUT THE CADAVER NOTE......

Isn't it true that you have previously lied under oath?
Durst: YES

Lewin bringing up Durst admitting to lying during his Galveston trial to Andrew Jarecki on The Jinx. On The Jinx, Durst says his attorneys, which would include Dick DeGuerin, encouraged him to not lie, but to leave some things out.

Lewin concentrating on the lies Durst admits to telling, IE: writing cadaver note. not being in L.A. at the time of Susan's murder and more...

Lewin: Would you agree that the things you tend to lie about would be highly incriminating if you told the truth?
Durst: No

Lewin: Would you agree that you lie about things to avoid negative consequences?
Durst: I would agree

Lewin: You don't just make up lies for the sake of lying, you lie in particular when there is a reason for you to lie....when that relates to incriminating evidence, correct?
Durst: CORRECT

Lewin: You would agree that you lie about important things?
Durst : I would agree to nothing you are talking about.

That's it for today. Durst will be back on the stand under cross-examination tomorrow at 9am PT/12pm ET

Judge Windham met with a juror after court today to address a note the juror sent. We are no privy to the note or the conversation. I'm guessing it may be a scheduling conflict.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Wednesday, August 18th:
*Trial continues (Day 45) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (1 juror (#3) excused for medical reasons on 7/8/21). Now 9 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.
State rested their case on Tuesday (8/3/21). Defense has 2, possibly 3 witnesses (one is the defendant) & thinks 2 weeks for their case & will begin their case on 8/3/21 afternoon. Judge Windham denies the defense motion for mistrial based on their client's health & inability to testify on 8/2/21. Judge denies defense motion for judgment of acquittal.
Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-43 (5/18/21 thru 8/16/21) reference post #547 here:
CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*
8/17/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 44: Defense witnesses: still on direct exam Robert Durst. Defense attorney DeGuerin finished direct exam. Prosecutor John Lewin cross exam of Durst. Trial continues on 8/18/21.

Prosecutor implying rules didn't apply to Bob. He'd show up for Durst business meetings two hours late. " You enjoyed doing what you wanted and liked the reactions, right?" "You did not have a strong work ethic while at the Durst Organization".

Bob enjoyed interrupting meetings, he'd let out a big belch. OK, that explains the burping situation.

for Wednesday, Aug. 18th:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
9m
#RobertDurst - Court is in session. WATCH LIVE

Durst.jpg

Lewin: Do you miss Kathie?
Durst: Yes, when I think about Kathie I miss her.
Lewin: Would you agree she was very bright, beautiful?
Durst: Yes

Reward.jpg

Lewin: Would you agree that Kathie Durst that you knew, would never have simply just taken off this close to graduating medical school?
Durst: I would agree with that.

I shall continue these tomorrow morning (my morning :) ) - need to get back to real life.

Tweets for Wed. Aug. 18th continued.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
10h
#RobertDurst - Court is getting ready to resume following the lunch break. WATCH LIVE: Bob Durst still under cross-examination.

Earlier in Durst's testimony we heard for the first time that he claims Kathie attended an outpatient drug program in the fall of 1981 for her cocaine use at Lenox Hill hosp. Lewin just pulled up this doc showing Kathie wanted to do her residency at Lenox Hill

Out.png

This makes it highly unlikely Kathie would enroll in a drug rehab at the very hospital she was hoping to do her residency. Did Lewin succeed in showing the jury Bob lied under oath again?

Fireworks! Lewin gave Durst a hypothetical, Durst's response: I need to congratulate you, you set a new record by filling up 18 lines on my tablet. (with his long hypothetical).
Lewin: I'd like to congratulate you for setting a PERJURY record. OBJECTION from def

and that's where she ends...

Anyone know what happened after wards?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member