CA - Three women killed in veterans home shooting, Yountville, 9 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Upstanding sentiments from the Mayor:

http://www.theherald-news.com/2018/...ck-had-trouble-after-return-from-war/aqb5ynv/

[...]
“We lost three beautiful people yesterday,” Yountville Mayor John Dunbar said. “We also lost one of our heroes who clearly had demons that resulted in the terrible tragedy that we all experienced here.”
[...]
Dunbar said all three of the women were excellent at what they did, and will be sorely missed. He added that veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan come home with “a lot of need for special care.”

Friends of Yountville shooter describe his military life, civilian struggles

"He had nobody to turn to. He was ashamed to ask for help. He didn’t know his family," Saenz said.

He said Wong had trouble getting reimbursed through the GI bill program for classes he took. Saenz said Wong told him he suffered post traumatic stress disorder and was homeless after being put out of the VA program.

“He was trying to put his feet on the ground and it was hard for him,” Saenz said. “I'm disappointed he didn’t ask for help. None of this should have happened. He should have taken help.”

Jeffery Watts, who said he was deployed with Wong in Afghanistan, said via Twitter that Wong told that him through texts and phone calls that he'd been “put out on the street without a treatment plan” after multiple “run ins with staff and other patients at the VA home over racial disparities.”

wong%20facebook%20image.jpg

Albert Wong, left, pictured in one of his Facebook photos before his page was removed Friday. Facebook

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/q...4/alternates/FREE_480/wong facebook image.jpg

Another article detailing Wong's disruptive childhood. Shows anger all through his developing years.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/8099420-181/troubled-yountville-gunman-was-army

It seems like he finally found a family when he joined the military, but then they deserted him. It's a story that plays out every day, though not to such an extreme as this.

'The Wars Keep Returning'

News of yet another suicide came to me last month. This time it was someone I knew who served in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Ivy League educated, and one of the quiet, effective ones. Yes, one of our best, who spent years in Iraq. I was not close to him, but we were in the same group that hung out together.

A friend writes: “In the past few months he [had] not liked where this world was headed. ... He was suffering from what we think was undiagnosed PTSD from his time in Iraq and more recently Afghanistan. He was only 41. Such a tragic loss. A bright young engaging man. ... There are times I struggle but I have people I can reach out to that I can talk to just to talk. That always helps. He apparently didn't have that outlet like so many others.”

Today’s veterans often come home to find that, although they’re willing to die for their country, they’re not sure how to live for it.

Stats via the VA: Veteran Suicide Statistics, 2014
1. In 2014, an average of 20 Veterans died from suicide each day. 6 of the 20 were
users of VA services.

2. In 2014, Veterans accounted for 18% of all deaths from suicide among U.S. adults, while Veterans constituted 8.5% of the US population. In 2010, Veterans accounted for 22% of all deaths from suicide and 9.7% of the population.

3. Approximately 66% of all Veteran deaths from suicide were the result of firearm injuries.

4. There is continued evidence of high burden of suicide among middle-aged and older adult Veterans. In 2014, approximately 65% of all Veterans who died from suicide were aged 50 years or older.

5. After adjusting for differences in age and gender, risk for suicide was 21% higher among Veterans when compared to U.S. civilian adults. (2014)

6. After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 18% higher among male Veterans when compared to U.S. civilian adult males. (2014)

7. After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 2.4 times higher among female Veterans when compared to U.S. civilian adult females. (2014)

I'm a veteran and used to volunteer at a VAMC. It's heartbreaking how we're so eager and excited to send people off to fight a war and then abandon them when they get home.

I'm a veteran and used to volunteer at a VAMC. It's heartbreaking how we're so eager and excited to send people off to fight a war and then abandon them when they get home.
_-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a civilian citizen, but I wonder if people realize how military training and experience in combat can truly
change a person from how they were when then went in to how they are emotionally when they come out.

I have a family member that I noticed changes in after 7 yr. in military and yes combat but in air, not on ground.
Some try to hide the changes, but they are there if you look closely. Some get help and some ignore it.
You just can't unring that bell after 7 years.

These were the 3 persons responsible for him being ejected from the program, in his eyes.
His previous guardian from before he went into the army said he had trouble adjusting to his life outside of military.
If this program fed, clothed and gave him a home to live in, and this was all removed suddenly- yes he was angry.
Another giant rejection to a person unable to make rational decisions and feed himself, pay his bills, etc.
You are exactly right. We need more services for our veterans!!!!! And we need more mental health services, in general. When will we realize just how costly not funding mental health is???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am thinking injustice collector too.

Which comes first - PTSD or injustice collector? Could both apply, or does it have to be one or the other?

(Serious question. Not trying to snark.)

Which comes first - PTSD or injustice collector? Could both apply, or does it have to be one or the other?

(Serious question. Not trying to snark.)

I am inclined to say injustice collector first.

I do not post much and please do not be offended when I say that making excuses and blaming others for these murderer's actions is not fair to victims.Almost seems like the victims are to blame for kicking him out. Yes there may be factors at play here but many are going through similar situations and do not kill people.He is the only one to blame.

I do not post much and please do not be offended when I say that making excuses and blaming others for these murderer's actions is not fair to victims.Almost seems like the victims are to blame for kicking him out. Yes there may be factors at play here but many are going through similar situations and do not kill people.He is the only one to blame.
I agree! It is definitely not their fault. But we need lots of alternatives so that when an agency doesn't feel like they can serve a person, the person that needs services doesn't not feel out of options. I can't speak for anyone else, but that is definitely the way I feel. This amazing agency only had room for about 12 or 16 people? Certainly they have strict rules, as they should. Other services need to be available for the masses.

I hope that made sense. I worked for an agency and had to kick many people out. So, I would never fault them for having a set of guidelines and sticking to them. It is the only way you can effectively serve the others who are there and following the rules.

I agree! It is definitely not their fault. But we need lots of alternatives so that when an agency doesn't feel like they can serve a person, the person that needs services doesn't not feel out of options. I can't speak for anyone else, but that is definitely the way I feel. This amazing agency only had room for about 12 or 16 people? Certainly they have strict rules, as they should. Other services need to be available for the masses.

I hope that made sense. I worked for an agency and had to kick many people out. So, I would never fault them for having a set of guidelines and sticking to them. It is the only way you can effectively serve the others who are there and following the rules.

Def! In any context one person being threatening to another usually has a consequence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406
Back