CA CA - Westlake Village, HispFem 18-30, UP11249, pregnant, in parking lot, Jul'80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There is a facebook page in spanish where they posted her missing person details.

I don't speak Spanish, when did it say she went missing? Also, how close is the state of Sonora to the areas of Mexico such as Zacatecas that were emphasized in DDP?

As someone born along right by the border whose father previously worked in US Customs for the America/Mexico border, UID cases involving likely undocumented immigrants from Mexico and central America are of very high interest to me, especially this Doe. I wish there was something I could do to help, but I don't speak Spanish and have connections in that area :(

I don't speak Spanish, when did it say she went missing? Also, how close is the state of Sonora to the areas of Mexico such as Zacatecas that were emphasized in DDP?

As someone born along right by the border whose father previously worked in US Customs for the America/Mexico border, UID cases involving likely undocumented immigrants from Mexico and central America are of very high interest to me, especially this Doe. I wish there was something I could do to help, but I don't speak Spanish and have connections in that area :(

This is the translation of the facebook post made back in 2014.
MEXICAN WOMAN MISSING 34 YEARS AGO IN BAKERSFIELD CALIFORNIA Name: Maria Leopolda Zavala Bernal
Current age: 54 years.
Date of Birth: Nov. 15,1960 in San Luis Río Colorado Sonora, Mexico.
Name of his parents: Mauro and Adelina
She disappeared on January 15, 1980, in Bakersfield California, U.S.A.
Message sent by: Elena Bernal November 21, 2014 3: 30
Person looking for her: her parents and siblings.
The last time we heard from her, it was by letter. It said that she lived with a man named Carlos. And that she had a daughter named Gloria, in the letter she also told her mother that she was going to return for her daughter that she had left with her, her daughter's name is Norma Alicia Bernal. The message sent by her niece Elena Bernal. Thanks for your collaboration, I ask you please share this photograph. Thank you very much and God bless you.

That is an excellent suggestion! Very hot candidate for a match! Timeline fits, though 7 months apart (thats not a big issue as family and Maria were not in regular contact) and location and circumstances fit, too. She also looks very similar to the PM.

This is the translation of the facebook post made back in 2014.
MEXICAN WOMAN MISSING 34 YEARS AGO IN BAKERSFIELD CALIFORNIA Name: Maria Leopolda Zavala Bernal
Current age: 54 years.
Date of Birth: Nov. 15,1960 in San Luis Río Colorado Sonora, Mexico.
Name of his parents: Mauro and Adelina
She disappeared on January 15, 1980, in Bakersfield California, U.S.A.
Message sent by: Elena Bernal November 21, 2014 3: 30
Person looking for her: her parents and siblings.
The last time we heard from her, it was by letter. It said that she lived with a man named Carlos. And that she had a daughter named Gloria, in the letter she also told her mother that she was going to return for her daughter that she had left with her, her daughter's name is Norma Alicia Bernal. The message sent by her niece Elena Bernal. Thanks for your collaboration, I ask you please share this photograph. Thank you very much and God bless you.

The surname Zavala came up in the DNA Doe Project list of surnames of interest.
View attachment 299477

Thank you Monchhichi!

FYI:

Maria Leopolda Zavala Bernal was brought to our attention last year, along with another woman (Guadalupe Cortez, who was also missing in 1980 - last seen in Los Angeles, and known to be pregnant when last seen). The person who brought both missing women to our attention worked with the families to get their DNA into GEDMatch, and missing persons reports filed for them.

Both Maria Bernal and Guadalupe Cortez were ruled out against Ventura Jane Doe as a result of the GEDMatch kit comparisons coming back negative.

FYI:

Maria Leopolda Zavala Bernal was brought to our attention last year, along with another woman (Guadalupe Cortez, who was also missing in 1980 - last seen in Los Angeles, and known to be pregnant when last seen). The person who brought both missing women to our attention worked with the families to get their DNA into GEDMatch, and missing persons reports filed for them.

Both Maria Bernal and Guadalupe Cortez were ruled out against Ventura Jane Doe as a result of the GEDMatch kit comparisons coming back negative.
Thank you Carl! Hopefully VCJD is ID so her family can have the closure that they deserve.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back