California Wildfires 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Camp Fire Missing Persons: Names & Photos of The Missing in CA | Heavy.com

The Camp Fire that left Paradise, California destroyed and decimated many other areas in Butte County, California, has also left about 110 people missing. Twenty-three people were tragically found deceased in the fire, and authorities fear that number may grow. This has left the fire as one of the deadliest in California’s history. Here is a look at some of the people who have been reported missing. Loved ones are desperate to know where their friends and family are. If you have seen any of these people, please call your local authorities right away.

This is not an all-inclusive list. To see more people as they are reported missing, please see the list of resources at the end of this story.

[...]

Thanks for this. I sent the link to a friend who has a cousin in Paradise she hasn’t heard from. I am so grateful not to be searching for my husband’s cousin, who made it out with his wife and 90 year old mother. I can’t imagine!

Forced Out by Deadly California Fires, Then Trapped in Traffic

“By Sunday night, the Camp Fire had matched the deadliest in California history, the Griffith Park Fire of 1933, with 29 fatalities. Seven of the victims in Paradise died in their vehicles.”

'We just want to go home': Southern California fire evacuees express frustrations at community meeting

“Altogether, about 250,000 in the area were displaced at the time of the meeting, said Los Angeles County Sheriff Department Chief John Benedict. Residents expressed concerns about timelines for repopulation, rebuilding permits and independent pollution investigations, as well as frustrations about how officials allegedly did not communicate evacuation orders in some areas.”

—-

'It's not over yet.' High winds feed California wildfires as death toll rises
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/11/us...sey/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/&rm=1

“At least 31 people have died in the fires: 29 in Northern California's Camp fire and two in Southern California's Woolsey fire.”

Snip

“"This is not the new normal, this is the new abnormal," Gov. Jerry Brown said of the role of climate change. "The chickens are coming home to roost, this is real here."”

—-

Death toll jumps in historic California wildfires as governor requests aid

“The so-called "Camp Fire" leveled nearly the entire city of Paradise, scorching thousands of homes and leaving its business district in ruins. More than 200 people were unaccounted for after the wildfire decimated the town of about 27,000, as crews stepped up search efforts for bodies and the missing. Authorities called in a DNA lab and teams of anthropologists to help identify victims.“

Snip

“"We are doing everything we possibly can to identify those remains and make contact with the next of kin so we can return the remains to the family," Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said Saturday.“

—-

‘It is not safe.’ California wildfires continue deadly assault on populated areas.

“But the red-flag warnings — critical fire conditions — were forecast to last across the region until 5 p.m. Tuesday.”

Snip

“Sheriff’s deputies and officials from the coroner’s office have been examining charred homes that have been too hot for body-sniffing dogs. Butte County Sheriff Kory L. Honea said late Sunday that authorities were trying to account for 228 people reported missing by friends or family members. Honea said some may be in shelters. He urged citizens to tell authorities if and when they find a person who had been unaccounted for.“

Last edited:
“Some of the victims died in their cars as they attempted to escape. Authorities have not released the names of victims, and Paradise, a city of 27,000 popular with retirees, is quarantined. The city is without power and has no operational businesses, and few residents have returned. Paradise has been essentially obliterated.

Honea’s office has ordered an additional DNA lab truck and received help from anthropologists at California State University at Chico for the time-consuming and daunting task of identifying victims. In some cases, investigators have found just pieces of bone.“

‘It is not safe.’ California wildfires continue deadly assault on populated areas.

—-

He couldn't save his friends. Now Camp Fire survivor's video is drawing anger

‘Global SuperTanker’ deployed to fight California fires

Suspect Arrested In Two Arson Fires

“A 37-year-old Menlo Park man was arrested in connection with two suspicious fires that burned within 50 minutes of each other on Saturday, Palo Alto police said today. “

—-

Crews stop 30-acre wildfire near Cal State San Bernardino from growing - Los Angeles Times

California wildfires reach grim milestone

“The mayor of Paradise, Jody Jones, gave the BBC an update on the situation in the town.
"Most of the residential [area] is gone. I would say 90%," she said. "I had an opportunity to go up there and take a look for myself. Just about everyone I know lost their home."
The fire is the most destructive in the state's history and the joint deadliest.
It has burned more than 109,000 acres (44,000 hectares) and is nearly 25% contained, fire officials said.”

—-

Neil Young, Gerard Butler, Robin Thicke among those to lose homes in California wildfires
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us...ies/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/&rm=1

North Bay volunteers rally support, supplies for Butte County Fire survivors

How to Help Those Affected by the California Fires

Last edited:
I was WS Ching a video last nigh of the guy sing to his daughter while driving through fire.

What hit me hard was not the fire.

It was the fact that all escape routes are supposed to be clear cut 50 to 100 feet from the road center.

Instead of the half _______ way of asking for $$ after a major incident, it might be wise for the State of California to come into compliance and require this prevention work to be done.

And building codes need to be brought current and enforced. The loss of life is not acceptable.

California wildfires kill 31 people, with much more destruction to come
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us...ing/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/&rm=1

“Mass evacuations: More than 300,000 people have been forced from their homes statewide. The majority of those residents are in Los Angeles County, where 170,000 were evacuated.

Winds, climate change provoking fires“

——

“The forecast for crews battling the California wildfires was anything but promising Monday. Near hurricane-force gusts may be in the cards for some already scorched areas.“

Snip

“Authorities called in a DNA lab and teams of anthropologists to help identify victims.

An estimated 6,453 Northern California homes and 260 commercial structures have already been destroyed by the blaze. Cal Fire lists an additional 15,500 structures are currently threatened by the Camp Fire.“

Weather forecast menacing for crews battling deadly California wildfires
—-

31 Dead, 228 Unaccounted for as Wildfires Burn on Both Ends of California | The Weather Channel

—-

'Nonstop' aerial attack saves homes in Woolsey fire, but winds expected to bring new dangers - Los Angeles Times

—-

Firefighters lose homes while on front lines of Camp Fire

“Disaster relief centers for firefighters are fairly new in the state of California. The IAFF first set up a center in October 2017 in response to the Santa Rosa wildfires.“

Snip

““The fire already took their homes, but we don’t want that to cause conflict and things that are going to damage their families, their health or their relationships,” Aboudara said.

It’s not just firefighters who have lost their homes, but other emergency personnel, police officers and public servants. The mayor of Paradise lost her home and she said the town council, all public works’ employees and the majority of the police force lost their houses, too.“

—-

“The victims have not been identified, but the department has a roster of 110 people believed missing. Officials hope many of the elderly on the list simply are elsewhere without cellphones or away to contact loved ones. Honea said the agency was also bringing in a mobile DNA lab and encouraged people with missing relatives to submit samples to aid in the identification process.“

Northern California Fire Officials Begin Agonizing Search for Dead

Last edited:
City of Calabasas
City of Calabasas
@CityofCalabasas
ENTIRE CITY OF CALABASAS NOW UNDER MANDATORY EVACUATION NOTICE. Please see statement from City Manager Gary Lysik

Twitter

“THE ENTIRE CITY OF CALABASAS IS UNDER EVACUATION ORDERS.

November 11, 2018 5:15pm

This is Calabasas City Manager Gary Lysik.

The entire City of Calabasas is now under Mandatory Evacuation Orders. To repeat. The entire City of Calabasas is now under Mandatory Evacuation Orders. All persons within the City of Calabasas must now orderly evacuate.

For your safety, and the safety of your family, please collect necessary personal items and evacuate the City as quickly as possible, and please follow instructions provided by Law Enforcement.

Please continue to monitor the City’s website at www.cityofcalabasas.com for updates as they become available. That website also contains information on available evacuation centers and services.“

City of Calabasas, CA Home

(I’m sitting here looking at several feet of snow wishing we could dump it all on California.

I have covered the California fires extensively for the third year in a row now. Never deaths like this.

At least they were able to get the Global Supertanker out this time.

Heartbreaking.)

Isn't this the seventh year of severe drought in California? The brush on the hillsides must have been nothing but dried out tinder for a fire. Climate change is real, people need to understand how that affects their lives, health, and activities.

(I’m sitting here looking at several feet of snow wishing we could dump it all on California.

I have covered the California fires extensively for the third year in a row now. Never deaths like this.

At least they were able to get the Global Supertanker out this time.

Heartbreaking.)

Hi Margarita,

Thank you for sharing these posts. What a nightmare in California. As I sit here in Maine, I too wish I could send some of our rain out West. It is difficult not to think of what all the people are enduring out there, while I sit safely in my home. And as I said upthread, there will be repercussions for years to come. It will be a long time before people feel safe and secure again, if ever.

I remind myself that today is a good day to be extremely thankful for all I have, as well as say a special prayer for those who have lost everything.

I was WS Ching a video last nigh of the guy sing to his daughter while driving through fire.

What hit me hard was not the fire.

It was the fact that all escape routes are supposed to be clear cut 50 to 100 feet from the road center.

Instead of the half _______ way of asking for $$ after a major incident, it might be wise for the State of California to come into compliance and require this prevention work to be done.

And building codes need to be brought current and enforced. The loss of life is not acceptable.

I've not heard of these regulations about escape routes for grass fires. Is there a link? TIA. How does someone establish escape routes for wildfire conditions when it's impossible to predict where those fires will spread? From the video I've seen, most of these fires covered areas full of grass and low shrub growth, plants that go dormant and re-grow annually. How will cutting down all the trees prevent fires in the grass and undergrowth?

Thanks!

My family has been deeply affected by the Camp fire. My dad, my brother, an uncle and a niece and other extended family all lost their homes and 2 were uninsured. They were very lucky to escape and survive and almost didn't. My stepmom sent a text while in gridlock traffic asking us to pray because the flames were touching her car, and she was scared to death she was going to burn and die in her car trying to escape. Longest day of our lives waiting for them to find safety. Their cell phones went out for over 2 hours after that text and they kept getting diverted and lost because of new fires popping up over the area and the darkness from the smoke. It took them over 8 hours to travel what normally takes an hour, maybe an hour and a half to safety. It was truly a miracle.

My mom and sister work for Cal Fire and there are still over 200 people missing. The pics and videos are things we see in movies--it's shocking and surreal. I lived there for 7 years and it's heartbreaking to see this beautiful town devastated.

There are many groups on FB for resources, listing missing persons, fostering animals, supplies, etc . . not sure if I can post them here but many communities are rallying to help in Northern CA and NV. These people have a LONG road to recovery.

My family has been deeply affected by the Camp fire. My dad, my brother, an uncle and a niece and other extended family all lost their homes and 2 were uninsured. They were very lucky to escape and survive and almost didn't. My stepmom sent a text while in gridlock traffic asking us to pray because the flames were touching her car, and she was scared to death she was going to burn and die in her car trying to escape. Longest day of our lives waiting for them to find safety. Their cell phones went out for over 2 hours after that text and they kept getting diverted and lost because of new fires popping up over the area and the darkness from the smoke. It took them over 8 hours to travel what normally takes an hour, maybe an hour and a half to safety. It was truly a miracle.

My mom and sister work for Cal Fire and there are still over 200 people missing. The pics and videos are things we see in movies--it's shocking and surreal. I lived there for 7 years and it's heartbreaking to see this beautiful town devastated.

There are many groups on FB for resources, listing missing persons, fostering animals, supplies, etc . . not sure if I can post them here but many communities are rallying to help in Northern CA and NV. These people have a LONG road to recovery.

God bless your family. Just amazing they made it through and so glad they did. So many people are praying for those effected by the fires.

That video explains part of the reason the process takes so long. This fire was so hot and fast, it literally left nothing in it's path. Trying to find remains is a daunting task. They are asking for dna samples from relatives of missing people and bringing in forensics teams. People are frustrated they can't go home--they need/want closure (or back to the town) to check on things and don't realize all that is in involved. Aside from the safety, it's hazardous until they ID and recover all the victims and chemicals and such. Not to mention who wants to stumble cross a site like that, especially children. People literally left their cars running for their lives. It's terrible. I'm not sure if/how they will find them all, honestly. I feel terrible for those who are left waiting. I saw a missing poster for a gentleman I worked with over 30 years ago when I was in college.

On the bright side, my sister just shared this story:

Working day three of the Devastating Camp Fire was a better day. After searching through a Magalia neighborhood, knocking on 50+ doors and looking through several burned down homes, I found an 87 year old, alive and well, in her home. She had no idea what was happening in her town and nearby towns. I asked if she was ok. She asked if she knew me, I said no, introduced myself, then I asked what she was doing still here by herself. She said she yelled for help as people were driving away, but nobody could hear her. She said she was eating the food that was defrosting from her freezer and drinking the small trickle of water from her kitchen sink. I asked what she needed. Her first response was “a hug”. As we hugged each other she said into my ear, “what took you so long to get here?” I apologized and said I’m here now and I won’t leave. I requested an ambulance, which took her to get checked.

Today, was a better day!

If you are not volunteering or working for your community, then you are not part of that community, you just live there.

That video explains part of the reason the process takes so long. This fire was so hot and fast, it literally left nothing in it's path. Trying to find remains is a daunting task. They are asking for dna samples from relatives of missing people and bringing in forensics teams. People are frustrated they can't go home--they need/want closure (or back to the town) to check on things and don't realize all that is in involved. Aside from the safety, it's hazardous until they ID and recover all the victims and chemicals and such. Not to mention who wants to stumble cross a site like that, especially children. People literally left their cars running for their lives. It's terrible. I'm not sure if/how they will find them all, honestly. I feel terrible for those who are left waiting. I saw a missing poster for a gentleman I worked with over 30 years ago when I was in college.

On the bright side, my sister just shared this story:

Working day three of the Devastating Camp Fire was a better day. After searching through a Magalia neighborhood, knocking on 50+ doors and looking through several burned down homes, I found an 87 year old, alive and well, in her home. She had no idea what was happening in her town and nearby towns. I asked if she was ok. She asked if she knew me, I said no, introduced myself, then I asked what she was doing still here by herself. She said she yelled for help as people were driving away, but nobody could hear her. She said she was eating the food that was defrosting from her freezer and drinking the small trickle of water from her kitchen sink. I asked what she needed. Her first response was “a hug”. As we hugged each other she said into my ear, “what took you so long to get here?” I apologized and said I’m here now and I won’t leave. I requested an ambulance, which took her to get checked.

Today, was a better day!

If you are not volunteering or working for your community, then you are not part of that community, you just live there.

that's heartbreaking

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee
Back