California Wildfires 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RSBM

If you look up the video mentioned on Youtube (you can search the MS name in the article to find it) please be warned it is very graphic (shows remains) and not for the faint of heart.

I have not watched this video because I find anyone filming the remains of human beings and putting it on YouTube absolutely disgusting. These poor people have loved ones and they should never see this. People should show dignity and respect to those poor people who have tragically lost their lives.

Camp Fire update: My friend who hadn’t heard from her cousin yet, finally heard from her last night, safe with her sister in another town. She woke up to smoke and knew she should leave. Her car only had 1/8 tank of gas, but she made it! I haven’t heard all the details yet. Nor have we pressed my husband's cousin for details of their escape. It’s enough to know they are safe. We want to help him and have asked what he needs in order to move forward.

That video explains part of the reason the process takes so long. This fire was so hot and fast, it literally left nothing in it's path. Trying to find remains is a daunting task. They are asking for dna samples from relatives of missing people and bringing in forensics teams. People are frustrated they can't go home--they need/want closure (or back to the town) to check on things and don't realize all that is in involved. Aside from the safety, it's hazardous until they ID and recover all the victims and chemicals and such. Not to mention who wants to stumble cross a site like that, especially children. People literally left their cars running for their lives. It's terrible. I'm not sure if/how they will find them all, honestly. I feel terrible for those who are left waiting. I saw a missing poster for a gentleman I worked with over 30 years ago when I was in college.

On the bright side, my sister just shared this story:

Working day three of the Devastating Camp Fire was a better day. After searching through a Magalia neighborhood, knocking on 50+ doors and looking through several burned down homes, I found an 87 year old, alive and well, in her home. She had no idea what was happening in her town and nearby towns. I asked if she was ok. She asked if she knew me, I said no, introduced myself, then I asked what she was doing still here by herself. She said she yelled for help as people were driving away, but nobody could hear her. She said she was eating the food that was defrosting from her freezer and drinking the small trickle of water from her kitchen sink. I asked what she needed. Her first response was “a hug”. As we hugged each other she said into my ear, “what took you so long to get here?” I apologized and said I’m here now and I won’t leave. I requested an ambulance, which took her to get checked.

Today, was a better day!

If you are not volunteering or working for your community, then you are not part of that community, you just live there.

Hugs! Thank you for your hard work! I’m shocked that none of this poor lady’s neighbors helped her leave! We all need to look out for each other, not just ourselves.

Camp Fire update: My friend who hadn’t heard from her cousin yet, finally heard from her last night, safe with her sister in another town. She woke up to smoke and knew she should leave. Her car only had 1/8 tank of gas, but she made it! I haven’t heard all the details yet. Nor have we pressed my husband's cousin for details of their escape. It’s enough to know they are safe. We want to help him and have asked what he needs in order to move forward.

Note to self======Keep gas tank full

I heard that same story from 2 different friends, who were suddenly facing evacuations, and they had very little gas in their tanks. One friend had to leave their car on Pacific Coast Highway because there was so much gridlock, and many stations were closed or out of gas, and the few that had gas, had huge lines. And some had no electricity to use the pumps.

So she left her car and it was burned to a crisp when she went back the next day.

Another friend decided not to load up her car because it was only 1/4 full, so they only took her husbands and left some things behind. But luckily her home in westlake was still standing today when they returned.

Note to self======Keep gas tank full

I heard that same story from 2 different friends, who were suddenly facing evacuations, and they had very little gas in their tanks. One friend had to leave their car on Pacific Coast Highway because there was so much gridlock, and many stations were closed or out of gas, and the few that had gas, had huge lines. And some had no electricity to use the pumps.

So she left her car and it was burned to a crisp when she went back the next day.

Another friend decided not to load up her car because it was only 1/4 full, so they only took her husbands and left some things behind. But luckily her home in westlake was still standing today when they returned.

So scary!

Yes, full tanks of gas for sure. And keep your go-bags in the trunk. We had fires here in southern Oregon from July well into September and the danger isn’t over. We’ve been getting those warm, dry winds from the east too. I will be nervous until we get some good rain...none predicted. Our town is just a little smaller than Paradise, nestled in and below forested mountains. Honestly, every year I feel like we are a disaster waiting to happen.

So scary!

Yes, full tanks of gas for sure. And keep your go-bags in the trunk. We had fires here in southern Oregon from July well into September and the danger isn’t over. We’ve been getting those warm, dry winds from the east too. I will be nervous until we get some good rain...none predicted. Our town is just a little smaller than Paradise, nestled in and below forested mountains. Honestly, every year I feel like we are a disaster waiting to happen.

That's how I felt when we lived in Topanga Canyon. It was so beautiful and peaceful. But when we had our first kid, I didn't feel comfortable anymore. There is really only one road out of the canyon. And when the fires come, that road is often impassable so you have to turn around and go the other way, along with hundreds of other cars.

And then in the winter, you get the floods and mudslides because of the fire damage...I couldn't take it anymore...lol

That's how I felt when we lived in Topanga Canyon. It was so beautiful and peaceful. But when we had our first kid, I didn't feel comfortable anymore. There is really only one road out of the canyon. And when the fires come, that road is often impassable so you have to turn around and go the other way, along with hundreds of other cars.

And then in the winter, you get the floods and mudslides because of the fire damage...I couldn't take it anymore...lol

Exactly! There are areas of our town like that. As beautiful as it is, I couldn’t live in those forested neighborhoods with one way out. But even though we don’t live on the mountain side of town (it’s our view), we only have two ways out of our neighborhood and fire can start anywhere and move fast. Like Paradise, we are a community full of retirees, so there is added vulnerability for those of us who are seniors. At least I can still run! Not much comfort though.

Our Australian news is showing a lot about Hollywood stars who have lost homes. It’s so tragic for everyone.

“A map has revealed the devastation in the US, as fires destroy celebrities’ homes, including Gerard Butler, Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke.”
Stars lose everything in deadly California wildfires

It is getting a bit annoying the focus on the celebrities. The firefighters took the time to save reality star Camille Grammer’s two Ferraris from her garage in Malibu when people are dying it really annoyed people on social media. The non-celebrity victims are just as important.

My sister who works for Cal Fire sent this map over . . . they are not done as they are still combing thru the area but you can see just how many homes in the Paradise Camp fire were completely destroyed:

ArcGIS Web Application
Thank you to your sister and your mom, and I'm sending good thoughts to the rest of you. Be safe!

“Butte County Sheriff and Coroner Kory L. Honea said his office is bringing in additional resources to expedite the identification and processing of human remains, including 13 coroner search recovery teams, 150 search and rescue personnel, cadaver dogs, two portable temporary morgue units, and a rapid DNA system.“

44 dead in California fires as the Camp Fire becomes the deadliest in state history
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us...-missing/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

—-

Sandra Bullock donates $100,000 to help save animals from California fires
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/entertainm
ent/sandra-bullock-fire-donation/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

—-

Mapping the Camp and Woolsey Fires in California

cali-fire-locator-small.jpg

—-

“Officials said it could take weeks to fully contain the deadly wildfires raging across Northern and Southern California.”

California's "Camp Fire" becomes deadliest in state history

“"As of today, an additional 13 human remains have been recovered," says official while providing updates on California "Camp" Fire. California's "Camp Fire" becomes deadliest in state history pic.twitter.com/ffQXJfDJCT

— CBS News (@CBSNews) November 13, 2018
The Butte County sheriff's office said four victims have been positively identified and their families have been notified. Some 228 people remain missing.

The sheriff's office said 150 more search and rescuers will arrive Tuesday. There will be 13 search/recovery teams, including three anthropology teams. Officials have requested two portable mortuaries from military.”

—-

Website shows damaged, destroyed structures from Camp Fire

“In a press conference Monday, fire officials announced they now have a website where residents can see what structures were destroyed or damaged by the Camp Fire.

The website will continue to be updated as field damage inspections continue.”

ArcGIS Web Application

MAPS: A look at the Camp Fire in Butte County and other California fires

—-

““My sincere hope is that I don’t have to come here each night and report a higher and higher number,” Sheriff Honea said at a news conference Monday night.“

Snip

“• The authorities said Monday night that they had identified the remains of four people killed in the Camp Fire, and released the names of three of them.“

Snip

““The numbers of losses of life are probably going to go much higher, I fear,” said Jim Broshears, Paradise’s emergency operations coordinator and the town’s former fire chief.“

California Wildfires Updates: 42 Deaths Make Camp Fire Deadliest in State History

merlin_146715402_82890667-d47e-4be9-9729-6f707bbf1ceb-jumbo.jpg

Anthropology students watched as human remains were recovered from a home in Paradise.CreditJohn Locher/Associated Press

—-

California Wildfires From Space Show Their Massive Scope | The Weather Channel

—-

California fire disaster may worsen as strong winds howl for multiple days - AccuWeather.com

“"Santa Ana winds ramped back up on Sunday and bouts of moderately strong wind gusts are anticipated through at least Tuesday," according to AccuWeather Meteorologist Alyson Hoegg.“

Snip

“While not as strong as early this week, there can be another round of locally gusty Santa Ana winds Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.”

Last edited:
“Butte County Sheriff and Coroner Kory L. Honea said his office is bringing in additional resources to expedite the identification and processing of human remains, including 13 coroner search recovery teams, 150 search and rescue personnel, cadaver dogs, two portable temporary morgue units, and a rapid DNA system.“

44 dead in California fires as the Camp Fire becomes the deadliest in state history
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/us/california-wildfires-woolsey-camp-hill-missing/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

—-

Sandra Bullock donates $100,000 to help save animals from California fires
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/12/entertainm
ent/sandra-bullock-fire-donation/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

—-

Mapping the Camp and Woolsey Fires in California

cali-fire-locator-small.jpg

—-

“Officials said it could take weeks to fully contain the deadly wildfires raging across Northern and Southern California.”

That is very kind of Sandra Bullock she is a very kind and nice person. I’ve never read a critical word about her.

Is there anything that can be done to make the homes more fire retardant when people try to rebuild if they can? I saw an episode of Grand Designs Australia and this beautiful house was in the bush and he had made his home fire retardant so it would not burn down in a bushfire but unfortunately it was expensive to do.

“"As of today, an additional 13 human remains have been recovered," says official while providing updates on California "Camp" Fire. California's "Camp Fire" becomes deadliest in state history pic.twitter.com/ffQXJfDJCT

— CBS News (@CBSNews) November 13, 2018
The Butte County sheriff's office said four victims have been positively identified and their families have been notified. Some 228 people remain missing.

The sheriff's office said 150 more search and rescuers will arrive Tuesday. There will be 13 search/recovery teams, including three anthropology teams. Officials have requested two portable mortuaries from military.”

—-

Website shows damaged, destroyed structures from Camp Fire

“In a press conference Monday, fire officials announced they now have a website where residents can see what structures were destroyed or damaged by the Camp Fire.

The website will continue to be updated as field damage inspections continue.”

ArcGIS Web Application

MAPS: A look at the Camp Fire in Butte County and other California fires

—-

““My sincere hope is that I don’t have to come here each night and report a higher and higher number,” Sheriff Honea said at a news conference Monday night.“

Snip

“• The authorities said Monday night that they had identified the remains of four people killed in the Camp Fire, and released the names of three of them.“

Snip

““The numbers of losses of life are probably going to go much higher, I fear,” said Jim Broshears, Paradise’s emergency operations coordinator and the town’s former fire chief.“

California Wildfires Updates: 42 Deaths Make Camp Fire Deadliest in State History

merlin_146715402_82890667-d47e-4be9-9729-6f707bbf1ceb-jumbo.jpg

Anthropology students watched as human remains were recovered from a home in Paradise.CreditJohn Locher/Associated Press

—-

California Wildfires From Space Show Their Massive Scope | The Weather Channel

—-

California fire disaster may worsen as strong winds howl for multiple days - AccuWeather.com

“"Santa Ana winds ramped back up on Sunday and bouts of moderately strong wind gusts are anticipated through at least Tuesday," according to AccuWeather Meteorologist Alyson Hoegg.“

Snip

“While not as strong as early this week, there can be another round of locally gusty Santa Ana winds Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.”

I was wondering will they definitely be able to identify those who have tragically lost their lives by DNA? I don’t know anything about DNA and an intense fire like this on human remains. I know they are still trying to identify body parts from 9/11.

Prayers for all affected by the many fires this year. So sad to hear the recent news.

The picture of the melted metal from a car shows how hot the fires can get. Some tried to escape and got caught in traffic backlogs which is so sad. The winds must have been really bad to fuel the flames so quickly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back