California Wildfires 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Every national forest in Calif. now closed due to devastating wildfires | FOX 5 San Diego

Every national forest in Calif. now closed due to devastating wildfires

by: Matt Meyer, KTLA 5

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 / 12:29 PM PDT / Updated: Sep 9, 2020 / 02:27 PM PDT

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — All California national forests will be closed by 5 p.m. Wednesday as wildfires ravage the state from end to end, including in San Diego County.

The decision, announced by the U.S. Forest Service Wednesday morning, comes after eight of the expansive nature areas had already been closed on Monday. With 10 more closures, all 18 of the Golden State’s beloved national forests are now closed.

“We had closed eight National Forests on Monday evening, Sept. 7, 2020. Explosive growth of fires throughout California during the day and late evening of Sept. 8 led to this updated decision,” the Forest Service’s statement explained.
“The number of large fires and extreme fire behavior we are seeing across the state is historic,” said Regional Forester Randy Moore. “These temporary closures are necessary to protect the public and our firefighters, and we will keep them in place until conditions improve and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely. I ask all Californians and visitors to take these closures and evacuations seriously for their own safety and to allow our firefighters to focus on the mission of safely suppressing these fires.”

The 18 forests cover over 20 million acres across California. This is the first time in decades that entire forests in the state have been closed due to wildfires, according to a forest service spokesman.

All developed campground and day-use sites on national forest lands will also be shut down across California, and ignition sources — such as campfires and gas stoves — are prohibited, according to the Forest Service’s website.

<<<snip

The image below is from another story at link:

Last edited:
17,665-acre Valley Fire now 27% contained; evacuation orders reduced in some areas

17,665-acre Valley Fire now 27% contained; evacuation orders reduced in some areas | FOX 5 San Diego

by: FOX 5 Digital Team

Posted: Sep 9, 2020 / 06:08 AM PDT / Updated: Sep 9, 2020 / 10:03 PM PDT
SAN DIEGO – Firefighters Wednesday evening continued to battle the Valley Fire, which has scorched 17,665 acres and now is 27% contained, officials said...
...By late Wednesday, the fire had destroyed 26 habitable structures and 25 minor structures and damaged 11 other structures, according to the agency...

...County officials said Tuesday that the evacuation point at Joan McQueen Middle School in Alpine has closed after it hit capacity. The centers at El Capitan High School at 10410 Ashwood Street in Lakeside and Steele Canyon High School at 12440 Campo Road in Spring Valley remain open...

...Operations Section Chief Mike Milkovich said a main worry is wind blowing embers over fire lines.

The ember cast is what it’s called, when the embers get up in the air and go over the line,” he said. “The fuel beds in front of the fire are very receptive. Then the fire can pass over the lines and continue. And as we continue west, there are many more homes in the path of the fire.”

“That’s always a game changer for us when they come in. We’ve seen that evident in the past several years whether that be the Cedar Fire, the Lilac Fire, the May wildfires of 2013. Santa Ana is always a significant factor in that so that’s the real concern tonight,” Cal Fire Capt. Kendal Bortisser told FOX 5.

As of Wednesday, 93 engines, 14 helicopters, eight water tenders, eight air tankers and five bulldozers had been assigned to the fire...

(article continues)

<<<snip

West Coast fires: Hundreds of homes burned to ground, Oregon governor says
Oregon fires: Hundreds of homes burned to ground, governor says - CNN

Horrifying! The article talks about California and Washington as well as Oregon.

Yes it really is horrifying. Thanks for posting this @anneg. I can vouch for the devastation in southern Oregon where I live. The Almeda fire started at the north end of Ashland, destroying a neighborhood, and was pushed rapidly by high winds toward Medford leaving Talent (pop about 9000) and Phoenix (pop about 5700) devastated. It looks like a war zone. Among my friends, 11 homes have been destroyed, 6 in one mobile home park. They had moments to evacuate. Another friend from CA had just made an offer on a manufactured home in Phoenix last week. It’s gone. Another local friend had just closed escrow on income property in Talent. It’s gone.

Almeda Fire burns through Ashland mobile home park - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

'We're Going to get though it,' Talent City Manager discusses fire destruction

Pictures are worth 1000 words:

Photos: Wildfires do damage, prompt evacuations in Southern Oregon

Fires are still starting around Jackson county and whole towns are being evacuated, so we have a long way to go, as does the rest of the West.

Needless to say, I’ll be keeping an eye on this development:

A criminal investigation is underway at the origin point of the Almeda fire in Ashland, where human remains were found, Jackson County Sheriff Nate Sickler said Wednesday.

The Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit is at the early stages of an “active criminal investigation,” Sickler said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

“We are still in the early stages,” Sickler said. “Nothing’s been ruled out — it’s still an active investigation.”

Sheriff confirms death investigation where Almeda Fire started

Yes it really is horrifying. Thanks for posting this @anneg. I can vouch for the devastation in southern Oregon where I live. The Almeda fire started at the north end of Ashland, destroying a neighborhood, and was pushed rapidly by high winds toward Medford leaving Talent (pop about 9000) and Phoenix (pop about 5700) devastated. It looks like a war zone. Among my friends, 11 homes have been destroyed, 6 in one mobile home park. They had moments to evacuate. Another friend from CA had just made an offer on a manufactured home in Phoenix last week. It’s gone. Another local friend had just closed escrow on income property in Talent. It’s gone.

Almeda Fire burns through Ashland mobile home park - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

'We're Going to get though it,' Talent City Manager discusses fire destruction

Pictures are worth 1000 words:

Photos: Wildfires do damage, prompt evacuations in Southern Oregon

Fires are still starting around Jackson county and whole towns are being evacuated, so we have a long way to go, as does the rest of the West.

Needless to say, I’ll be keeping an eye on this development:

A criminal investigation is underway at the origin point of the Almeda fire in Ashland, where human remains were found, Jackson County Sheriff Nate Sickler said Wednesday.

The Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit is at the early stages of an “active criminal investigation,” Sickler said at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

“We are still in the early stages,” Sickler said. “Nothing’s been ruled out — it’s still an active investigation.”

Sheriff confirms death investigation where Almeda Fire started

Lilibet, I'm glad you are all right, but very sorry for your friends and others who have lost their homes and property. The photos in your link really show the heartbreaking destruction from the fires. I can't imagine having only minutes to evacuate.

Thousands evacuate, at least 2 killed as Oregon wildfires burn 500 square miles (live updates)
Wildfires continue to burn throughout the state Thursday, covering about 500 square miles and forcing thousands of people to flee their homes.

Damage has been widespread, and at least two people have been killed. As many as 3,000 firefighters are battling the blazes, which numbered nearly 50 on Wednesday and are affecting those living in or near all the state’s major population centers along Interstate 5 — from Medford to Portland.

Gov. Kate Brown has declared a statewide emergency and said Oregon will likely experience the greatest loss of property and lives from wildfires in its history.

Brown has also said the state is experiencing its most extreme fire conditions in three decades. Dry conditions and low relative humidity are widespread Thursday throughout the Willamette Valley and Portland metro area.

Air quality is poor in many places, and power outages abound.

I'm working from home, bag packed. Evacuation warning came on Monday. Winds that were expected did not materialize. Amen.
Bobcat fire visible from my kitchen window. I am phase one to evacuate if need be.
Sending love and prayers for calm winds and cooler temperatures, charminglane! Be careful and stay safe!

Oregon officials preparing for 'mass fatality incident' as fast-moving wildfires threaten to merge - CNN

Excerpt from article (BBM):
Oregon Gov. Kate Brown said Friday that wildfires have consumed more than 1 million acres and dozens of people were unaccounted for.

As two major fires in Oregon -- the Beachie Creek and Riverside fires -- threatened to merge in the coming days, air quality levels have badly deteriorated from smoke. Four of the top five cities worldwide with the worst air pollution are in the region -- Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and Vancouver, according to IQAir, a Swiss air quality technology company tracking pollution levels.

The blazes have killed at least 20 people in California from mid-August through Friday -- including at least 10 found dead this week in one Northern California fire -- with at least four others recently killed in Oregon and Washington state.

[We checked on our Oregon relatives today and they are all okay but are staying indoors due to the smoke and ash.]

[We checked on our Oregon relatives today and they are all okay but are staying indoors due to the smoke and ash.]

I’m glad your Oregon family is OK. Our air quality here in Ashland is at the high end of “hazardous.” We can’t see the mountains at all.

A flyover video showing the devastation in Ashland, Talent and Phoenix:

In latest developments here at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, the day the Almeda fire started:

Arrest Made in Arson Case
Case 20-17292

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office announces a suspect has been arrested on Arson and other charges regarding a fire that was set during the Almeda Fire in the area of the railroad tracks in Phoenix, Oregon. This case is separate from the Almeda Fire investigation but the investigations have been a joint effort by the Major Assault Death Investigation Unit members including JCSO, Oregon State Police, Medford PD and Ashland PD.

...See More

BREAKING: Arson charges filed in Almeda Fire

Firefighters Battle To Save LA's Historic Mount Wilson Observatory

Excerpt:
Los Angeles' Mount Wilson Observatory, the site of major 20th century scientific discoveries, has so far survived a terrifyingly close brush with a wildfire in the hills northeast of the city. But the threat isn't over.

The Bobcat Fire came within 500 feet of the observatory on Tuesday afternoon. Crews gathered to fight the fire, and tracked vehicles with front blades cleared fire lines to protect the area.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chloerock
Back