Found Deceased Cambodia - Amelia Bambridge, 21, UK backpacker, Koh Rong, 23 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was noticing what you point out, also, and wondered if that was accurate what her friends said: that her purse was found in the bar where the party was (I’m paraphrasing).
For females in the UK the place for our money is a purse. For guys it's a wallet. For all our other bits and bobs, include cosmetics, phone, and, purse its all in our handbag.
One side note, what confuses my mind is that I think what we here in the US call a “wallet” or “coin purse”, in British English they call a “purse”.
For females in the UK our money is kept in a purse, for guys, it's a wallet. All our bits and bobs, including purse, phone, lipstick, etc are stored in our handbag

I’ve not heard of gap year much - is it more of a UK thing? My kids say wasn’t a big thing to do before college because their high school classmates were focused on getting into college and applying for student aid/scholarships.
I'd say it's fairly common in the US as well. I taught in a high school and knew some students who just didn't know where they wanted to go to college, if they wanted to go to college, or were just simply tired of school and wanted to take a break. They didn't necessarily travel though - some just worked for a bit.

Myself, I did it between undergrad and grad school so I understand the concept. IMO, 17-18 year old graduating seniors are so young to be venturing off on world travel alone.

I’ve not heard of gap year much - is it more of a UK thing? My kids say wasn’t a big thing to do before college because their high school classmates were focused on getting into college and applying for student aid/scholarships.
Gap year also a common concept in Canada, or at least in Toronto.

Lots of European kids do a gap year - British, Irish, Dutch, German in particular. I did the backpacking thing in that area when I was older and those were the nationalities I came across the most, also Australians, Canadians and Kiwis.

I didn't go to Koh Rong but did stay on another island just along the coast and much as I loved Cambodia it definitely felt the most lawless of the countries I visited: weed being grown on islands by the military, and easily purchased from a local friendly policeman (who had probably just confiscated it and issued a hefty fine to some hapless farang). I certainly wouldn't want to get into trouble over there, though I suspect a backhander would be most helpful.

There have been many cases of travellers dying in SE Asian countries in recent years and their deaths being marked as natural or accidental, while their helpless families and friends strongly suspect otherwise. You only have to read about Koh Tao to realise how much corruption and covering up goes on out there. They're so dependent on our tourist dollars to earn a living, and murders just don't fit the narrative of sunshine and fun times.

Hoping Amelia's dad living in neighbouring Vietnam might help him pull some strings and get some answers. What a hideous situation for the whole family.

Thanks @zecats
I would have been scared to death of my 17 year old daughter backpacking alone overseas.
She had trouble navigating in her home state.

As a man who has now travelled over 50 countries of various economic and cultural standing in the world. Travelling is a thrilling experience, but one that is a wisdom to be learned over time. To do it safely in certain parts of the world, its a must when they are clearly less safe and more corrupt than home.

For both sexes of similar age to Amelia, I would not at all recommend travelling that far afield for a first time adventure nor to a country so radically different to the UK in every respect. With the palm trees, immaculate beaches and crystal clear waters its so easy to be entranced by it, especially with alcohol.

The family of a British student missing after a beach party in Cambodia have joined the searches for her.

Her brother and father arrived on the island on Sunday and her mother is on her way to look for her.

Local volunteers and Cambodian police have spent the day scouring the shoreline and jungle using equipment from a local dive centre as well as a drone.

Ms Bambridge's sister, Georgie, told the BBC, searches would resume tomorrow after being halted overnight.

"There was a search today, with the number of people up to 90, and they are using divers and drones,” she said.

She added that she and her two other sisters were remaining in the UK to raise money for extra searches and spread awareness.

Family of missing backpacker arrive in Cambodia to join search

There does not seem to be alot of info coming through regarding who said what and where exactly things were ie the bag. Who she was out with specifically? If anybody?
Have the people in the pics been questioned?
IF the bag was found on the rock it looks highly odd in my opinion. Police over there like to stage things and take pics of various people surrounding ...i have seen one in the media where there is a ton of people surrounding said rock and backpack all looking important and stuff but that should have been bagged and sealed and that space of beach should be cordoned off etc its always the same when something like this happens. Wouldnt suprise me if next ....some random "admits" to it and there parading him on the beach next to that rock for all amd sundry to take pics so the westerners are not scared of going there anymore!
I really hoped she would have been found by now tbh i was hanging on to a tiny bit of hope. So sad

I would have to say that this case so far does sound frighteningly similar to the Hannah Witheridge and David Miller murders. They too had gone to the bar for drinks, and were making their way home in the early hours when they were jumped on the beach after their drinks were spiked, if I recall. Their bodies simply discarded where they died and both were left with horrendous head injuries. The crude gardening tool used boldly left on a nearby allotment showcasing the amaturity of the crime.

This case differs in the sense that she has not been found, (so far) in the immediate area around her belongings. With that mystery in mind, I have come up with a potential theory to bring to the discussion and see where it takes us.

Its hot in S Cambodia at this time of year day or night. At night, temps range from about 25C/78F - 28C/84F minimum and humidity hovers around 85 - 90%. After hours at a party she would have been hot you would have thought. I often frequent live music shows and know how it feels sometimes to emerge at the end with my shirt soaked and a bearing headache coming on due to overheating.

The photographs and messages confirm she was enjoying herself so wouldn't have likely left becouse she was tired or bored. I'm thinking she may, (or may not), have had her drinks spiked/taken drugs and she developed a fever or high temperature on its own, and felt it was time to leave and go back to the hostel.

I think she had briefly stopped where her belongings were found for a quick rest or to get a sense of direction, and was approached or stumbled upon by a man, (or men), trawling the beach. I think she was offered a walk back to the hostel, but due to the alcohol/drugs/general condition she didn't take her bag with her. I think she was either attacked further down the track in the dark, (in which case her body will probably be somewhere in the bush), or was kidnapped and taken away in a nearby vehicle.

I think we are now looking for a body sadly. I don't believe she is in the sea, the water is warm and shallow, she also would have been likely washed up to shore by now.

Last edited:
I CONSTANTLY warn my daughter of all the dangers and signs etc she hated me growing up, always calling and worrying and running round the estate looking for her. Instant anxiety kicking in if she was 10 mins late. She now, at 17, says i have a sixth sense for danger and i have installed it in her (u can only hope) its hard to let kids go and u should let them be free and experience life but, me, personally, no way would i let her solo travel. I have found myself talking to her already about group travel with friends as i know its inevitable now she has a job and all kinds of things can go wrong within a group, let alone solo.

Sorry but no, this isn’t about women not being able to go out and party? Why on earth shouldn’t we be allowed to do that. The point is you have to wisen up and be careful, yes - and traveling alone teaches you that quite quickly. Stick with the group and keep yourself in a state where you always know what’s going on.

Do they have sniffer dogs over there?
Sorry but no, this isn’t about women not being able to go out and party? Why on earth shouldn’t we be allowed to do that. The point is you have to wisen up and be careful, yes - and traveling alone teaches you that quite quickly. Stick with the group and keep yourself in a state where you always know what’s going on.

She is travelling alone. i fail to see where i wrote women should not go out at any point in that. I said i warn my daughter of dangers so she is aware. Im a woman myself so lets not jump to quick ay

Last edited:
A British backpacker who went missing five days ago on an island in Cambodia may have drowned, an official has said, as speedboats and divers are brought in to help with the search.

Amelia Bambridge, 21, was last seen at a beach party late Wednesday night on the island of Koh Rong before her bag with her phone, money and credit cards inside was found the following morning.

Chhoeun Chantha, commune chief of Koh Rong, said that he fears Miss Bambridge drowned because the bag and her watch was found on a rock by the ocean.

Missing Amelia Bambridge, 21, is likely to have drowned, Cambodian official claims | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley216
Back