Found Deceased Cambodia - Amelia Bambridge, 21, UK backpacker, Koh Rong, 23 Oct 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Having been a backpacker a few years back myself, this hits close to home. Especially the parts about walking back in the middle of the night alone after a beach party and getting lost in the jungle - because that happened to me three times and still to this day don't know what happened!

It's easy to judge and say behaviors and decisions are out of character - but when you are there it is very easy to do things that you wouldn't normally, whether that being because drinks are spiked or are strong measures im not sure. ALOT of people in these places are alone, and often when you go out, you are with people from your hostel or you just struck up conversation with in a bar, and your group heading to a beach party can be 20-30 people strong - its unfair to say people weren't looking out for her and should have stuck together because that's just not how it works out there. Taxis are pretty much non existent, so either you pay a stranger to ride on the back of their motorcycle or you walk. Most backpackers are trying to make £100 last a week so walking everywhere is common. Even if your hostel is 200m away you can end up on the other side of the island disorientated because that's what the drinks there do to you (often heard horror stories where vodka is replaced with cleaning products/petrol on street side stands).

I hope Amelia is found but it's not looking good... :(

Having been a backpacker a few years back myself, this hits close to home. Especially the parts about walking back in the middle of the night alone after a beach party and getting lost in the jungle - because that happened to me three times and still to this day don't know what happened!

It's easy to judge and say behaviors and decisions are out of character - but when you are there it is very easy to do things that you wouldn't normally, whether that being because drinks are spiked or are strong measures im not sure. ALOT of people in these places are alone, and often when you go out, you are with people from your hostel or you just struck up conversation with in a bar, and your group heading to a beach party can be 20-30 people strong - its unfair to say people weren't looking out for her and should have stuck together because that's just not how it works out there. Taxis are pretty much non existent, so either you pay a stranger to ride on the back of their motorcycle or you walk. Most backpackers are trying to make £100 last a week so walking everywhere is common. Even if your hostel is 200m away you can end up on the other side of the island disorientated because that's what the drinks there do to you (often heard horror stories where vodka is replaced with cleaning products/petrol on street side stands).

I hope Amelia is found but it's not looking good... :(
A brilliant post, thank you

Sadly, I can't see any outcome other than foul play.

Drowning I see as unlikely, simply because her body would have been found by now. Also, as per her brother "We have had divers out searching the water. The water is shallow so the chances of her drowning are quite slim."

Getting lost in the jungle I also feel is unlikely. First of all, unless you were on some very serious drugs I don't think you'd attempt a walk home like that when you're alone. Regardless of distance, cost, lack of other options, it's scary and is essentially a non-option. Second, I feel like she'd have been found by now. Though the jungle is dense, it's only 1.5km across and 3km down from where she was. Even if you went severely wrong and ended up going North into the very middle of the jungle it's still only 1.5km from the East beach and under 1km from the West beach. With the amount of time that's passed I think she would have found her way out by now.

According to the latest media reports, Amelia's dad says he had talked to his daughter about safety and she said she knew all about it. It appears then that perhaps she did not take on board the full gravity of what he was saying to her.

The man is going to be so disheartened. You have to feel for him. ...but what can you do?, its trust isn't it.

You can only inform your offspring as best you can. They are the only ones that can put their safety into practice.

After four days of searching I feel it's too early to say she can't be in the water or jungle or she would have been found by now. She might have headed off in the wrong direction and is in an area that hasn't been searched yet. She had only been on the island for a day iirc, she was probably drunk, it was dark, she had no phone/light with her. I think it's likely she got completely lost. jmo

According to the latest media reports, Amelia's dad says he had talked to his daughter about safety and she said she knew all about it. It appears then that perhaps she did not take on board the full gravity of what he was saying to her.

The man is going to be so disheartened. You have to feel for him. ...but what can you do?, its trust isn't it.

You can only inform your offspring as best you can. They are the only ones that can put their safety into practice.
The problem is, they're in holiday mode and feel in that happy bubble removed from reality. Bad things seem far away but the truth is, they never really are :(

My heart breaks for this dad...my daughter has started hiking in state parks all over - alone. Her sister and I have expounded on how dangerous that can be, but she insists she is fine. She has started to at least keep us aware of her locations, and advising where she is - but I worry. Hopefully his daughter turns up fine-but I am not optimistic.

She could be in the water by accident, not necessarily because she chose to go for a swim. Many people who have been partying end up in the water by accident. It’s still too early to say she would have been found by now.

I’m not convinced, though. I still think foul play is highly likely. Either way such a sad, tragic circumstance.

The bag she’s on video wearing is not same backpack as shown found on the rock/beach. One in video is a cross body bag and one found is a traditional backpack. Unless the video is from a different night.

Do we know for sure that her backpack was found on Police Beach?

What about the nearby Koh Rong Community Pier beach, Monkey Island huts, or the Treehouse Bungalows beach? Can we get more information about which beach her backpack was found?

View attachment 211505

View attachment 211506

Bringing otto's post forward for the areal views of the area. The water might be shallow close to the shore but just approximately 50-100 m out it seems to get deeper.

Maybe she decided to make her way back to the Nest along the coast rather than venturing into dark and winding jungle paths. It seems a safer path in terms of not getting lost. Just follow the coastline for 2-3 km and you arrive at the Nest.

Searchers had to borrow diving equipment from a local shop it was said, I doubt that these divers are trained in under water searches.

jmo

To be fair to Amelia, we don't know this. People can be very 'sensible' and follow all the advice and still come to harm.

The brother of a British backpacker missing in Cambodia says he feels let down by the UK government as the search for her continues.

Her brother Harry, who served as a paratrooper for four years, joined the search on Sunday but said the language barrier was causing problem.

"There is nothing making sense and something's not quite right," he said.

Mr Bambridge said: "We were up at 06:00 and met with Cambodian police. We spent all day searching and wading through the jungle.

"We don't seem to be making any headway. We have got no leads to go off. I left my emotions on the plane. All I'm doing is concentrating on finding my sister."

Mr Bambridge was critical of the British government and said he has had to turn detective in a bid to find his sister.

Major general Chuon Narin, police chief of Sihanoukville province, said divers, police, navy personnel, local volunteers and foreigners were taking part in the searches.

"As of now, the searchers have no news about her whereabouts and they have expanded the area they are searching to make sure all possible sites are checked," he told AP news agency.

"I can't say whether [Ms] Bambridge was killed or got lost in the island's jungle."

Mr Bambridge added: "We have a 20-minute window where we can place her and then she just disappears.

"For me something's not right. We have had divers out searching the water. The water is shallow so the chances of her drowning are quite slim.

"There is a breakdown in communication with the language barrier. I believe the police are doing the best they can.

"I have had zero involvement from the UK government. Where's the support?"

Missing Amelia Bambridge: 'No real leads' in Cambodia search, brother says

This small island of 30sq miles and its coastline, should only take a few more days, (up to a week), to scour with confidence as the search effort and the public interest intensifies. If after this point, no leads or trace of Amelia has come to fruitition, we cannot discount the possibility that she has been snatched on the beach, (where her bag was apparantly found), and was forced to board a boat destined for the mainland, where she would be sold on by people traffickers into illegal prostitution or some other illicit drug trade.

This small island of 30sq miles and its coastline, should only take a few more days, (up to a week), to scour with confidence as the search effort and the public interest intensifies. If after this point, no leads or trace of Amelia has come to fruitition, we cannot discount the possibility that she has been snatched on the beach, (where her bag was apparantly found), and was forced to board a boat destined for the mainland, where she would be sold on by people traffickers into illegal prostitution or some other illicit drug trade.

I think that's highly unlikely. I could stretch to being taken out to sea and dumped perhaps. But not that at 3am for a chance encounter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashley216
Back