CANADA CANADA - 83 Missing & Murdered women of Edmonton, Alberta

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have four grandchildren that are metis. Their father is 1/8 aboriginal. They are looking forward to all sorts of free post-secondary opportunities! The cousins of their mom are 1/16 aboriginal. One of them became a pilot at the expense of Canadian taxpayers. Lucky girl!

My grandchildren are at no higher risk of being murdered than any other Canadian because they do not live on reserves. They are learning the Canadian school curriculum and are assimilated into Canadian society. If they were murdered, they would be a statistic in this latest RCMP report, but a national inquiry would do nothing to further the quest of why they would be murdered.

I have four grandchildren that are metis. Their father is 1/8 aboriginal. They are looking forward to all sorts of free post-secondary opportunities! The cousins of their mom are 1/16 aboriginal. One of them became a pilot at the expense of Canadian taxpayers. Lucky girl!

My grandchildren are at no higher risk of being murdered than any other Canadian because they do not live on reserves. They are learning the Canadian school curriculum and are assimilated into Canadian society. If they were murdered, they would be a statistic in this latest RCMP report, but a national inquiry would do nothing to further the quest of why they would be murdered.

Things are improving, hopefully the community will be self sufficient in the near future and in turn help others..imo.

https://indspire.ca/indspire-awards/current-laureates/

All killers, all victims - no distinction except that female murders tend to be sexual motivated imo.and that makes me angry.
In this particular case, involving Amber T. the poi's voice is captured in phone call, so seems like a good place to start.
Personally, politics do not interest me, just posting to document and hoping LE get their man, or woman.

A lot of victims are a result of opportunity. The case of Amber Tuccaro appears to be a result of opportunity. She arrived safely with her infant at her hotel, and then it appears that she decided to hitchhike to Edmonton. Anyone could have been a victim in that situation, not only aboriginal women. If she had not been hitchhiking, she would still be alive.

RCMP are still investigating, they have released an audio tape, and they have put up billboards. I'm pretty sure that it is more difficult to solve murders when they are a result of hitchhiking.

So, getting back to the thread topic -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...y-to-suffer-violent-death-rcmp-says-1.2644827

"It is by no means on our part to accord any type of blame to the victim with respect to discussing these vulnerability factors, but the reality is that there are difficult social and economic circumstances that need to be considered and need to be discussed as we move forward with the prevention work we do in our communities."

Let's hope prevention becomes the main word on this issue. Jmo.

So, getting back to the thread topic -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...y-to-suffer-violent-death-rcmp-says-1.2644827

"It is by no means on our part to accord any type of blame to the victim with respect to discussing these vulnerability factors, but the reality is that there are difficult social and economic circumstances that need to be considered and need to be discussed as we move forward with the prevention work we do in our communities."

Let's hope prevention becomes the main word on this issue. Jmo.

In terms of prevention, wouldn't education be a critical factor in ensuring that there is change such that the homicide rate of aboriginal women by their spouses, family, and acquaintances is reduced? Who is responsible for that education? The aboriginal community insists that they want to control their curriculum, so what exactly are Canadian taxpayers supposed to do?

The title of the thread is very confusing. The title states that 83 women are missing in Edmonton, but the first post says that since 1983 (so in the last 31 years), 20 women that worked in the sex industry have been found.

Both links are no longer working.

Is the belief that there is one person that murdered 20 sex trade workers during the last 31 years? Wasn't someone arrested for several of the murderers since the original 2005 comment on page 1 of the thread?

The thread title doesn't say anything about sex trade workers either - a brief read of this thread reveals only one poster obsessed with that vocation in the context of missing and murdered aboriginal women. Along with 1/8, 1/16, one this, one that.

Picton wasn't charged with murdering sex trade workers (aboriginal or otherwise) - he was charged with murder. Of human beings.

So, in the context of what we now seem to know, and the topic of this thread, maybe those with aboriginal ties - through birth, marriage etc - could give us a run down on what they have contributed to the conditions aboriginals live in or with? And how they would change things if they were in charge? What they would do for their grandchildren's people/heritage if given an opportunity?

Just a thought - might keep things focused? Might not though. Some thinking/attitudes can't be changed. Jmo.

The thread title doesn't say anything about sex trade workers either - a brief read of this thread reveals only one poster obsessed with that vocation in the context of missing and murdered aboriginal women. Along with 1/8, 1/16, one this, one that.

Picton wasn't charged with murdering sex trade workers (aboriginal or otherwise) - he was charged with murder. Of human beings.

So, in the context of what we now seem to know, and the topic of this thread, maybe those with aboriginal ties - through birth, marriage etc - could give us a run down on what they have contributed to the conditions aboriginals live in or with? And how they would change things if they were in charge? What they would do for their grandchildren's people/heritage if given an opportunity?

Just a thought - might keep things focused? Might not though. Some thinking/attitudes can't be changed. Jmo.

For the longest time, Canadians carried the burden of the murdered women on the Highway of Tears. I believe that everyone was shocked to learn that one of the culprits responsible for several of the murders is in fact a transient worker from the US. In some ways, that was a relief to Canadians. It also highlights how difficult it is to capture murderers when they drive into the country to perform temporary work, murder women along the way, and then return to their native country.

With Edmonton being the last city to visit prior to heading to Fort McMurray for oilfield work, it's equally possible that women that are murdered in Edmonton, or between Edmonton and Calgary, are victims of someone that is passing through to do temporary work in the oilfield. That would make solving the murders so much more difficult.

Imo, that's better - 'women that are murdered in Edmonton.' And with all due respect, of course it's flipping difficult to solve some of these murders - some have remained unsolved for decades. Some of the women haven't even been found.

Lack of info from those in the know has a lot to do with that situation, imo. Let's try something different to see if the results change?

One guy from the US is just that imo, one guy. In a different part of the country as well. Most, possibly all of the employers in Fort McMurray fly their employees in and out btw - they are randomly drug tested before they get on their return flights. FYI for those that didn't know that.

We can all fathom theories, we need accurate info from LE. AT was a good start, but so far - pfffft.

Regarding the murder of Amber Tuccaro, she wasn't reported missing for two days. I'm wondering ... if she had been reported missing the night she did not meet with the friend in Edmonton, if the person that received the strange cell phone call had contacted RCMP immediately, and if it had been clearly stated that a woman that was hitchhiking at a specific location was missing, it's possible that someone that was driving along the highway would have noticed a vehicle stopping to pick up a hitchhiker. Early reporting might have made a big difference in terms of locating the vehicle.

Imo, that's better - 'women that are murdered in Edmonton.' And with all due respect, of course it's flipping difficult to solve some of these murders - some have remained unsolved for decades. Some of the women haven't even been found.

Lack of info from those in the know has a lot to do with that situation, imo. Let's try something different to see if the results change?

One guy from the US is just that imo, one guy. In a different part of the country as well. Most, possibly all of the employers in Fort McMurray fly their employees in and out btw - they are randomly drug tested before they get on their return flights. FYI for those that didn't know that.

We can all fathom theories, we need accurate info from LE. AT was a good start, but so far - pfffft.

Accuracy is good.

Professionals are flown in and out of Fort McMurray. This is a small group of people that fit on one small plane and they fly home for the weekends. Trades people are not flown in and out of the oilfields. They drive or take the bus from another city for their rotation. Some live in the oilfield camps or in Fort McMurray. Random drug tests are not allowed.

Suncor Drug Testing: Oil Giant Loses Another Bid To Randomly Test Workers
03/26/2014

"Oilsands giant Suncor Energy has lost another battle in its attempt to randomly test thousands of union workers in northern Alberta for drugs and alcohol."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/26/suncor-drug-testing_n_5037680.html

At the risk of boring the readers of this thread, my stepson was flown in and out of Fort McMurray to Ontario every 3 weeks years ago for many years - not a professional but a tradesman. The drug test was at a clinic a couple of days before his flight - enough time for the results to come back, making the flight a go or a no go. He was not the only employee who had do to this - otherwise I don't think he would have been an employee in FM.

Dissecting side notes?

Timely reporting of a missing person is considered a good idea btw, especially if the cop taking the report takes it seriously. Pretty much what RCMP Commissioner Paulson was getting at in the way of improvement.

What would you do for your grandchildren's heritage if you were in charge?

At the risk of boring the readers of this thread, my stepson was flown in and out of Fort McMurray to Ontario every 3 weeks years ago for many years - not a professional but a tradesman. The drug test was at a clinic a couple of days before his flight - enough time for the results to come back, making the flight a go or a no go. He was not the only employee who had do to this - otherwise I don't think he would have been an employee in FM.

Dissecting side notes?

Timely reporting of a missing person is considered a good idea btw, especially if the cop taking the report takes it seriously. Pretty much what RCMP Commissioner Paulson was getting at in the way of improvement.

What would you do for your grandchildren's heritage if you were in charge?

I would hope that metis and aboriginal children can learn about contemporary aborginal culture ... not complaints that the government is not giving enough money (which is beginning to define today's aboriginal culture), but the successes and contributions of today's aboriginals.

Not sure if this is the right place for this article -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-against-aboriginal-women-and-girls-1.2674985

The B.C. government has signed an agreement with First Nations groups pledging to end violence against aboriginal women and girls.

The memorandum acknowledges the causes of violence against aboriginal women and girls are rooted in a history of colonial policies that attempted to destroy their culture and have traumatized generations of indigenous people.

B.C. Assembly of First Nations Regional Chief Jody Wilson-Raybould said she hoped the memo of understanding would result in policies that address the root causes of violence against aboriginal women and girls.

I don't agree with this memo of understanding at all - it ignores what RCMP Commissioner Paulson just advised the public - that aboriginal women and girls are murdered by their own men at a rate far higher than other cultures in Canada.

Imo, Jody Wilson-Raybould could do much better than blame history when the murders are relatively current. Do aboriginal women, living on reserves, have shelters to run to when they are being abused by their husbands, partners, fathers, brothers? I would like to hear she has been setting them up with the income she has as a Regional Chief.

Imo, murder has become a political hot-potato. What are the aboriginal women saying about the RCMP stats? I don't hear them.

For the longest time, Canadians carried the burden of the murdered women on the Highway of Tears. I believe that everyone was shocked to learn that one of the culprits responsible for several of the murders is in fact a transient worker from the US. In some ways, that was a relief to Canadians. It also highlights how difficult it is to capture murderers when they drive into the country to perform temporary work, murder women along the way, and then return to their native country.

With Edmonton being the last city to visit prior to heading to Fort McMurray for oilfield work, it's equally possible that women that are murdered in Edmonton, or between Edmonton and Calgary, are victims of someone that is passing through to do temporary work in the oilfield. That would make solving the murders so much more difficult.

Just jumping off your post...

Highway of tears.. IMO.. Who the heck would even attempt to hitch a ride??
Why aren't these women learning?? is there white woman hitching rides too, but only the aboriginal ones are murdered or is it only the Aboriginal women who risk their own lives by hitching a ride on the Highway of tears?

Thank-you dotr for posting this video. I found it to be a real eye opener (for anyone wanting to view it, it's 45 minutes long, not the 1 hour 11 minutes that is shown).
The voice of some women raised on a reservation. If they are a reflection of the majority of women raised on a reservation, I am stunned at the amount of abuse. I had no idea and am sad, flabbergasted and certainly wish better for them. In their voices they reflect no hope, no happiness, nothing to look forward to, no goals. So fwiw, here are some of my initial thoughts.

The abuse is common knowledge to people born and raised on reservations - not so much to rest of the population - abuse starting at age 10, turning tricks by age 12 and wanting off the reservations so turning to the streets to find a way out. No preparation for life in any way. No skills. No guidance and no safety net, even among themselves.

I have to call it tyranny. Perpetrated by aboriginal men. At some point in the video one family member states that a long time ago in the aboriginal culture, women were revered and held in high esteem.

So what happened to stop that? History cannot be blamed, imo, if it was the way of life. Going back to Jody Wilson-Raybould in the article linked in post #255 - she turned me off with the remark that 'history was to blame for the male behavior' when I first read it. Now I have an opinion about that remark - Ms W-R, on one hand you voice that you want change and better lives for the women you represent but you handed them right back into tyranny with your other hand. Imo.

No one is speaking for these women, imo. No one. They are groomed from an early age for a life of prostitution and handing that money over to pimps - aboriginal pimps? Family member pimps?

Throwing more money at the situation is not the answer, imo. It is not being spent right as it is. The women have to band together and speak up - somehow I get the feeling that the women that are speaking for them now, do not have the best interests of aboriginal women in mind or at heart - only their own interests. Using the aboriginal women once again, imo, because they refuse to speak to the heart of the matter.

It's difficult to help someone who does not help themselves.

All jmo.

Hitch-hiking obviously puts a person in danger, both driver and passenger imo.
From what I understand, there are often great distances from the reservations to the city and little available transportation, taxis can be very expensive.
We are now becoming aware of raped, missing and murdered Aboriginals , which hopefully will effect a positive change from within those communities and outside of them too.
Certain things do predispose a person to be a victim, but what about all the people, who do not lead high risk lives, aboriginal or white, and are still assaulted, abducted, raped and murdered ?
There are far too many, it must be addressed no matter who, what or why, maybe the Aboriginal people will be the ones to help stop it for the good of everybody! imo.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/07/19/mourning_bella__and_other_first_nations_women.html

" By: Antonia Zerbisias Feature Writer, Published on Sat Jul 19 2014

It’s been exactly a year since Bella Laboucan-McLean fell to her death from the 31st floor balcony of a downtown Toronto condo where six people were having a post-clubbing party.

Nobody saw anything, nobody heard anything, nobody noticed anything — or so it would seem from the investigation that police are about to shut down.

The brutal death of the 25-year-old Alberta Cree aspiring designer, who had just graduated from Humber College’s fashion arts program, is still officially deemed “suspicious” and remains unsolved.

Meanwhile, her name joins that of undetermined numbers of other First Nations women who have met violent or mysterious ends".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/g...d-for-missing-murdered-native-women-1.2710313

A community-led online database documenting the brutal deaths and disappearances of indigenous women in Canada has been launched.

The website — an initiative of three groups, No More Silence, Families of Sisters in Spirit and the Native Youth Sexual Health Network — is called It Starts With Us-MMIW. It came online just a few days shy of the first anniversary of Bella Laboucan-McLean’s death...

"We've been frustrated to say the least and just working really hard to see what we can do beyond just breaking the silence," said Huntley, "because obviously just talking about this matter isn't making it stop."

http://www.itstartswithus-mmiw.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back