Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a first time for everything, but if it never happened before, it's probably not a good assumption to make.

I respectfully disagree. I think just about everything about this crime is exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We really have no idea what business ventures DG was involved in. He could have very well had recent business dealings with AL and it is still a mystery to us just like the rest of the details in this case.

True - we don't know what legitimate OR possibly illegitimate business dealings involved DG. Keep in mind that the crimes he was convicted of were the ones where the police actually caught him - IMO, he may have been involved in many other activities that he managed to hide from the authorities.

We do.

"According to a relative of Mr. Liknes, Mr. Garland altered one of the patents and believed he should have been included as one of the inventors. Mr. Liknes paid for the work, but would not give Mr. Garland credit for the invention, said the family member, who described the dispute as “petty.”

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...glas-garland-over-patent-calgary-family-says/

Yes, that was one dealing that DG had with AL - we can not assume that it is the only financial interaction he had with him.

How does one go about purchasing a home and later filing for bankruptcy? Wouldn't they seize all the property and distribute it to the creditors? None of this makes sense to me. I don't think they really purchased a home in Edmonton. I think they were planning in living with family there or renting. And I don't think the condo in Mexico was theirs either rather AL's brother's place. It seems like they were just trying to keep up appearances with the neighbors and not let them know that they were financially ruined.

Primary residence, vehicle and personal necessities can be excluded. It's hard to know what the situation was. At the "leaving the country" sale, the family told different people different stories about where they were going. They told some people that they had purchased a condo in Mexico, other's that they were moving up North, and others that they were moving to Edmonton. I think there was even some discussion about moving to the US. That alone raised eyebrows, with people wondering why they would move from Parkhill in Calgary to anywhere in Edmonton, and whether it was Mexico or Edmonton. People (friends and neighbours) could only take their word regarding what they were doing next, but when all the stories came together, nothing made sense. Adding to the confusion was that they had sold their home on Dec 5, 2013, for $703,000. Was that a capital gain, or was that a loss to the bank?

It's quite possible that as their residential property value increased (from $150,000 to $700,000 over 15 years), they re-mortgaged the property until they had no equity. It's possible that the condo they bought in Mexico was a timeshare, or Alvin's twin brother's home in Mexico, it's possible that "up North" meant a small house in Evansburg (housing prices approx. $150,000) ... we just don't know. There as so many questions about what was really going on. I recall their son stating that they were going to spend a year in Mexico and then spend a few months in Canada ... that sounds like living out of the country, but keeping a few toes in Canada to ensure free health care, pension and other social benefits.

How does one go about purchasing a home and later filing for bankruptcy? Wouldn't they seize all the property and distribute it to the creditors? None of this makes sense to me. I don't think they really purchased a home in Edmonton. I think they were planning in living with family there or renting. And I don't think the condo in Mexico was theirs either rather AL's brother's place. It seems like they were just trying to keep up appearances with the neighbors and not let them know that they were financially ruined.
Winter Petroleum was Winter Petroleum Ltd. which means it was incorporated. Incorporation limits the personal liability of the directors so it wouldn't affect thr ability to purchase a home in one's personal name.

Wonder if this case has any link to DG or AL/KL family.

http://www.calgarycrimestoppers.org/unsolved-crimes

2. CPS and RCMP Investigate Shooting Incident

Case #14234975

The Calgary Police Service, with assistance from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), is investigating a shooting incident around the city’s northern limits.

At approximately 2 a.m., on Wednesday, June, 25, 2014, the RCMP requested assistance from CPS near 11 Street N.E. and Hwy 566 in connection with a man found suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. The man, who has been uncooperative with investigators, was found in a rural area with no obvious indication of where or why he was targeted.

It is believed that after the 34 year old was shot, he went to a home just inside the city limits and broke in, and then stole a truck from the property. The homeowner was not in town at the time.

The man then drove across the road, on the north side of Hwy 566, where he was discovered by members of the Airdrie RCMP. He is in stable condition in a local hospital.
Investigators from both the CPS and RCMP are now working together to locate where the man was shot and determine a motive for the crime.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to call police at 403-266-1234, or Crime Stoppers anonymously using any of the following methods:

When I posted this I did not realize the night this happened was the day AL shut down his company. Now i really wonder if it is related to any of this.

So without the money issues the suspect likely would not have pursued this crime? Just wondering out loud.

So without the money issues the suspect likely would not have pursued this crime? Just wondering out loud.

I can't think of any other motive besides money and a bruised ego...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I posted this I did not realize the night this happened was the day AL shut down his company. Now i really wonder if it is related to any of this.

Thank you for this snippet Goodasgold! I agree that you may be on to something. What kind of person is uncooperative with LE after they have been shot?!? Someone pretty shady who is doing something pretty shady IMHO.

At this point anything LE knows they are keeping their lips sealed....

There is a first time for everything, but if it never happened before, it's probably not a good assumption to make.

Not all crime makes it into the newspaper. There is more going on than people realize

Has there ever been a case in Calgary where silencers were used during a non-gang gun related murder?

Hey, don't ask me to do your homework :floorlaugh:

I don't either, but I've been under the impression that handguns that are not restricted for sport competition reasons are still stored at a gun club. I think the important point is that Canadians do not have guns. It is not normal to have a gun at home, in a vehicle, in a handbag, or anywhere. Hunters have rifles that must be stored under very strict conditions. Gang members have guns and they shoot each other. Gun violence is foreign in Canada, unlike the US where everyone seems to have a gun.

There are restricted and prohibited handguns. I have friends with restricted handguns that are used specifically for target shooting at a gun range. The transportation and storage of these guns are incredibly regulated to the point that, if I am not mistaken, the police must be advised in advance that you are transporting the gun, where you are going and the route you are taking as well as the route home. You must also advise police when the gun has gone back into storage.

Rifles and shotguns are not as severely regulated however, their storage is extremely important. You can transport without advising police.

Unfortunately, the only handguns you seem to hear about are the illegal ones that have been used in a crime.

I don't understand why anyone would think this has anything to do with the DG case.

Thank you for this snippet Goodasgold! I agree that you may be on to something. What kind of person is uncooperative with LE after they have been shot?!? Someone pretty shady who is doing something pretty shady IMHO.

At this point anything LE knows they are keeping their lips sealed....

9 times out of 10, when someone has been shot and is uncooperative, it is gand or drug related. No connection IMO.

The medical examiner was there - this is the role, so that would include blood spatter analysis.

Role

"When a death occurs suddenly or it cannot be explained, the OCME conducts an investigation, under the authority of the Fatality Inquiries Act.

We hold each of our investigations to determine:
◾who died
◾where they died
◾when they died
◾why they died
◾how they died"

http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_services/fatality/ocme/Pages/default.aspx

The medical examiner is governed by the Alberta Fatalities Inquiry Act:

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?page=F09.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=077973999X

Yes, we know the ME was there, but the ME would be a doctor who specializes in forensic pathology, not a LEO who went on to specialize in crime scene investigation with further specialization in blood spatter:

http://www.sfu.ca/~ganderso/forensic_science.htm

I've said it before. and I still believe this. Patents and money are the motive. I think AL led DG on with false promises and when DG heard about the bankruptcy and leavign the country, he felt it was time to act. I think he cased out the house until he thought all other had left except AL & KL. I believe that AL & NO were in another part of the house, probably sleeping. KL was i nthe kitchen putting final things away from the estate sale and maybe taking garbage out, thus the unlocked door. DG came in, attacked KL and likely stabbed her with a knife. During that attack AL & NO came rushing in because of the noise. AL & DG had a struggle while NO watched. DG freed himself from AL and grabbed NO and threatened him. AL would do anything at this point to protect NO. I think DG got AL to wrap up his wife in blankets and drag her outside to the waiting truck. DG made AL drive back to his farm while DG sat with NO. Bakc at the farm, both were killed and hidden. DG went back to Calgary to clean up the outside mess so that maybe nobody would notice anything for a few days and maybe think it was a domestic situation.
In my mind, the LE knew that the blood found in the house was KL's and that's why they issued the Amber Alert saying that NO maybe be in the company of his grandfather and no real mention of KL.

Sorry for the long post, but to me this just seems like the most likely scenario. Guns, silencers, accomplices...all of that is too CSI/TV-ish for me. It was a simple crime of murder from a man who felt he had be led along about fame & fortune.

True - we don't know what legitimate OR possibly illegitimate business dealings involved DG. Keep in mind that the crimes he was convicted of were the ones where the police actually caught him - IMO, he may have been involved in many other activities that he managed to hide from the authorities.

And where are all his friends who would normally say "oh I can't believe this ... he's such a nice guy"? If he has friends, who are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay