Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think grandiose in the sense that he might have thought he could fool LE, and again, perhaps conning and manipulative, as though he could manipulate LE into thinking he was someone else. I didn't realize he was carrying someone else's ID. I thought it was found at his home. Regardless, it does seem he was trying to con someone into thinking he was someone else.

And part of that con might have been acting as though he was innnocent re:goodasgold's comments

I just looked for articles about the false ID ... it was a bit confusing whether he was carrying it or it was in the home. I do recall that police gathered at the neighbours home and then more or less stormed the Garland property. Garland was detained. If the false ID was found in the house, I think he could explain that, given that the ID was from 1992-97, he had completely forgotten that it was there.

"The man who was questioned in the mysterious disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathy Liknes, appeared in court Monday on the unrelated charge of possessing a false ID belonging to a long-deceased boy from Cardston, Alta."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...than-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id/

It's possible that the ID was simply in the house and police wanted a reason to hold him for a few days.

I would be interested in knowing if there is a link between people who represent themselves in court for *serious* offenses and people that have been determined to be psychopaths.

My esteemed thesis supervisor, who was as knowledgeable as Hare about psychopaths, certainly believed that psychopaths were more likely than others to represent themselves in court.

As an aside, my thank you button has disappeared. Quite frustrating.

Carrying a second set of false ID at a time that he knew police were looking for his truck could be related to "grandiose", but I think there's something else going on too. Did he think that if police questioned him, he could present false identification, they'd thank him for his time, and look elsewhere for "Douglas Garland"? Was it an impulsive act to place the false ID in his wallet, or did he normally carry false identification and simply forget to remove it? It seems to me that after seeing his truck on the news, he should have done everything possible to distance himself from criminal activity, but he didn't.
Perhaps he truly felt superior to LE and doubted their ability to catch him. He felt 'safe' in his methods and confidant in his ability to evade any possible questions or evidence. Who knows - If he indeed fits the criteria for narcissistic behaviour disorder or psychopathy, it stands to reason he still believes he will get away with this.

We might be being conned into thinking he is intelligent. Do we really have proof of that, or is that a descriptor that got applied to him without evidence?. He didn't get his degree perhaps because he was kicked out for cheating. This could be suggestive of being less intelligent than we think he is. Also, conning and manipulative can present as a kind of intelligence.

I think that although he was only caught cheating in his third year of undergraduate studies, he had cheated throughout high school and university. I believe that he perceives himself as having superior intelligence, but I'm not convinced that he any sort of genius.

I would be interested in knowing if there is a link between people who represent themselves in court for *serious* offenses and people that have been determined to be psychopaths.

Ted Bundy is the first to come to mind.

Without video surveillance of the truck, I believe it would have taken a long time to solve the triple murder. Fingerprint evidence at the scene would have been useless due to the 200 people that had been through the home that weekend. The bodies are well hidden, so when they are discovered, it's quite likely that there will be little evidence. If there was a smoking gun pointing at the suspect, it was the truck. That is the one thing that allowed police to discover the second crime scene.

That's *if* there are even bodies to be found!

Remember, DG is a chemist so there are some other sinister possibilities....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We might be being conned into thinking he is intelligent. Do we really have proof of that, or is that a descriptor that got applied to him without evidence?. He didn't get his degree perhaps because he was kicked out for cheating. This could be suggestive of being less intelligent than we think he is. Also, conning and manipulative can present as a kind of intelligence.
Intelligence enough to evade LE, utilize a false identity somewhat successfully and succeed representing himself in court.

Dumb enough to think he could get away with murder - He was quickly identified as the sole POI.

I think that although he was only caught cheating in his third year of undergraduate studies, he had cheated throughout high school and university. I believe that he perceives himself as having superior intelligence, but I'm not convinced that he any sort of genius.

Totally agree with you. He's got a kind of "smarts" but it is not really what most of us would think of as intelligence.

Totally agree with you. He's got a kind of "smarts" but it is not really what most of us would think of as intelligence.
Aren't most psychopaths considered highly intelligent in one way or another?

You see that is the thing. Something does not add up with DG doing this crime. We are talking about a man that "got away for 7 years from the law" using a child's false identity, not to mention got a job and even applied for EI to escape drug trafficking charges. He is used to not getting caught and doing it in a very smart way. Now this same man, drove a truck several times by a house he is suspected of murdering three people, not fleeing this time and leaving that truck that could have been witnessed right outside on the acreage, even after the news had people searching for it. And caught with the same ID he hid for 7 years with and did time for. There is a bigger picture here that we are being kept in the dark about. JMO
But in all cases - he got caught. His crafty methods were all to evade responsibility AFTER he got caught. His pattern of 'intelligent' crime is covering up his messes.

Someone mentioned, a few days ago, that a particular part of the property where tents were set up was excluded from aerial footage. This morning, as I was sifting through links, I came across this shot of the tents. I have put it together with an aerial photo of the property. It looks a bit like a garbage disposal area.

Attachments

• GarlandProperty - Copy.jpg
    GarlandProperty - Copy.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 162
Aren't most psychopaths considered highly intelligent in one way or another?

I'm not really sure how to respond because I think psychopathy is not really related to IQ, though many psychopaths are very successful because things like playing fair and being sensitive to other people don't impede their success, and lying and conning which they do very well is often a part of their success.

He's devious and sneaky, like Joran van der Sloot.

Someone mentioned, a few days ago, that a particular part of the property where tents were set up was excluded from aerial footage. This morning, as I was sifting through links, I came across this shot of the tents. I have put it together with an aerial photo of the property. It looks a bit like a garbage disposal area.

I wish I had a thanks button, because those photos are quite interesting.

(sometimes the thanks button is there and sometimes it's not--grr)

Attachments

• GarlandPropertyGarbage - Copy.jpg
    GarlandPropertyGarbage - Copy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 165
I'm assuming the body was found near the intersection of Symon Valley Road and Township road 280 which is just NW of Airdrie directly east of a patch of land with many lakes.

Okay, so it's Township Road 280, not Range Road 280 as had been stated above in post #581, that's why it didn't make sense to me.

I wish I had a thanks button, because those photos are quite interesting.

(sometimes the thanks button is there and sometimes it's not--grr)

I also just joined in July and would "lose" the thanks button. I found what happened if I signed in and didn't check the remember me box was that soon I wasn't signed in anymore even though I was still reading the posts. So now I check the box and then sign in and log out when I am gone for awhile. Hope this helps.

I also just joined in July and would "lose" the thanks button. I found what happened if I signed in and didn't check the remember me box was that soon I wasn't signed in anymore even though I was still reading the posts. So now I check the box and then sign in and log out when I am gone for awhile. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member