Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious ... if the bodies had not been found, but bone fragments had been found, would that information be released to the public?
I believe they would release that info to the public. I cannot think of any example where LE found murder victims yet allowed the public to continue to believe they were still missing. I don't know what would be gained. IMHO

I don't know that your statement is fair. The G's might have the acreage but not a lot of money. The community seems very supportive of them, they are active members of their church .... how do you think they would get the money out of their home? They are retired and I'm sure the legal bill will be enormous. DG is an adult, there comes a time where you can't keep financially supporting your kids.

It's difficult to know what the financial arrangement was with DG living on the acreage with his parents at this age. Bail was set low and his not having money was discussed earlier in this thread. If this is true then the parents have been financially supporting him. Why would they stop now?

I believe they would release that info to the public. I cannot think of any example where LE found murder victims yet allowed the public to continue to believe they were still missing. I don't know what would be gained. IMHO

I suppose I'm wondering whether the victims remains were destroyed on the acreage, and that releasing that information would mean revealing too much about the investigation ... curious more than anything else.

If there was an accomplice, don't you think that DG would have given him/her up to the police--maybe try to blame the accomplice for the planning and get his charges reduced?

If he is silent, and arrogant enough to think he can beat this, offering up an accomplice admits guilt, doesn't it? I think he is not talking.

I don't know that your statement is fair. The G's might have the acreage but not a lot of money. The community seems very supportive of them, they are active members of their church .... how do you think they would get the money out of their home? They are retired and I'm sure the legal bill will be enormous. DG is an adult, there comes a time where you can't keep financially supporting your kids.

It's difficult to know what the financial arrangement was with DG living on the acreage with his parents at this age. Bail was set low and his not having money was discussed earlier in this thread. If this is true then the parents have been financially supporting him. Why would they stop now?

Living on the small farm and looking after the annual crop might have provided him with a small income. Also, allowing a child to live at home seems different than financially supporting him. Perhaps that's splitting hairs, but other than room and board, were they really giving him pocket money for whatever he wanted?

Additionally, with meth addiction on the rise and demand increasing, more and more "bottle cooks" and garage labs are popping up everywhere. Kids, suburban couples, and your Joe-blow neighbour are being busted for pop-up labs.

Agreed,...they are as popular as food trucks in some cities

He then looked for a quick, easy way to get rich by cooking and trafficking meth. If he stole a truck and tried to sell it, it is simply another example of trying to get rich without doing any work. It appears that he chose criminal activity as a way to get ahead.

both of those activities require connections, they are not one-off endeavors. The early re-boom in meth coincides with when he started "cooking". Then like now, it is the enterprise of the H.A and similar or org crime. He had his connections. Everyone asks what he did outside of what we know of DG, and there aint that a much.

He was caught with a dummy bank card for what purposes? did he buy 7/11 disposable pay as you go cell phones with that card?

Is it so far fetched that others may have been harbouring the same resentment as DG and that they might know eachother?

I think that the accused is a loser that was expelled from university because he cheated. He then looked for a quick, easy way to get rich by cooking and trafficking meth. If he stole a truck and tried to sell it, it is simply another example of trying to get rich without doing any work. It appears that he chose criminal activity as a way to get ahead.

Get rich quick by selling meth. To who? Where? On a Calgary street corner? I don't always agree with Stan L, but he's thought it through a little more thoroughly than he's getting credit for.

both of those activities require connections, they are not one-off endeavors. The early re-boom in meth coincides with when he started "cooking". Then like now, it is the enterprise of the H.A and similar or org crime. He had his connections. Everyone asks what he did outside of what we know of DG, and there aint that a much.

He was caught with a dummy bank card for what purposes? did he buy 7/11 disposable pay as you go cell phones with that card?

Is it so far fetched that others may have been harbouring the same resentment as DG and that they might know eachother?

It would be interesting to see the credit card/bank card application.The employers and/or investment listing used... Were they false and not checked? Were the references checked and passed? Interesting info that could be a lead, or lead nowhere.

One more point from someone living in Calgary. With respect to the Winter Petroleum angle, folks may be reading a lot more into it than necessary. Oil companies get started up all the time. Many fail. From my peripheral involvement in multiple oil companies, I would suggest that, while the investors obviously go into it in the hopes of succeeding, they also know it's a gamble. It's part of the business culture here, and I don't think it's likely for such a failure to yield a murderous rage, IMHO.

If you are involved in the industry, around Calgary or elsewhere, I'd certainly like to know if you agree with me on this. Thoughts, anyone?

Aardditionally, with meth addiction on the rise and demand increasing, more and more "bottle cooks" and garage labs are popping up everywhere. Kids, suburban couples, and your Joe-blow neighbour are being busted for pop-up labs.

In 89 thru 93 it was out of work chemical engineers in Alberta who were swooned. A UBC prof spent a year in jail for cooking methamphetamine. Since the stop trade of ephedera )<sp?), the brown meth trailer batch became prominent. But even the bathtub mix pop-up crowd need connections, one doesn't just pop onto the scene/territory and start dealing.

If he is silent, and arrogant enough to think he can beat this, offering up an accomplice admits guilt, doesn't it? I think he is not talking.

It would be in his best interest to be talking to his lawyer. How many defenses are there: self-defense (not reasonable in this case), reasonable doubt by attacking the evidence (possible) or by blaming someone else(I suppose it is possible), or claiming not criminally responsible on account of mental illness (unlikely in this case).

One more point from someone living in Calgary. With respect to the Winter Petroleum angle, folks may be reading a lot more into it than necessary. Oil companies get started up all the time. Many fail. From my peripheral involvement in multiple oil companies, I would suggest that, while the investors obviously go into it in the hopes of succeeding, they also know it's a gamble. It's part of the business culture here, and I don't think it's likely for such a failure to yield a murderous rage, IMHO.

If you are involved in the industry, around Calgary or elsewhere, I'd certainly like to know if you agree with me on this. Thoughts, anyone?

The due diligence is very stringent, Alberta does have cycles in both industry and entrepreneurial pursuits but for the most part it is a very conservative industry and newbies/oldies are scrutinized with a fine tooth comb. Ya just don't go-get a lease.

Get rich quick by selling meth. To who? Where? On a Calgary street corner? I don't always agree with Stan L, but he's thought it through a little more thoroughly than he's getting credit for.
Street corner, mommy and me class, university campuses - everywhere... Sadly, it's rampant and Calgary is certainly not immuned. It's easy and cheap to manufacture and cheaper than other stimulants such as crack cocaine.

http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index....ports-dramatic-rise-in-crystal-meth-addiction

Living on the small farm and looking after the annual crop might have provided him with a small income. Also, allowing a child to live at home seems different than financially supporting him. Perhaps that's splitting hairs, but other than room and board, were they really giving him pocket money for whatever he wanted?

Perhaps it was the reverse... Maybe HE was looking after the farm, the businesses, and them.

August 23, 2012
"&#8220;The last time we had a synthetic drug lab located in Calgary was probably 10 or more years ago,&#8221; said Brookwell."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/08/2...synthetic-drug-lab-in-northeast-neighbourhood

September 24, 2013
"In total, police seized 10.56 kg of meth with a street value of more than $1 million &#8212; believed to be the largest meth seizure ever made in Calgary &#8212; as well as 1.263.1 grams of cocaine worth $126,300 and 14.8 grams of crack cocaine worth $1,500.

Walker said as far as he&#8217;s aware a meth seizure like this is unprecedented in Calgary, adding the drug does not seem to be as popular as others.

&#8220;Meth has always been here, it&#8217;s never historically been as prevalent as cocaine ... or of course marijuana,&#8221; he said.

&#8220;We have less experience in Calgary with meth than we do with other drugs.&#8221;

It&#8217;s not clear where the meth was manufactured or if it was destined for the Calgary market, said Walker."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/09/24/calgary-police-make-record-1-million-meth-seizure

August 23, 2012
"“The last time we had a synthetic drug lab located in Calgary was probably 10 or more years ago,” said Brookwell."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/08/2...synthetic-drug-lab-in-northeast-neighbourhood

September 24, 2013
"In total, police seized 10.56 kg of meth with a street value of more than $1 million — believed to be the largest meth seizure ever made in Calgary — as well as 1.263.1 grams of cocaine worth $126,300 and 14.8 grams of crack cocaine worth $1,500.

Walker said as far as he’s aware a meth seizure like this is unprecedented in Calgary, adding the drug does not seem to be as popular as others.

“Meth has always been here, it’s never historically been as prevalent as cocaine ... or of course marijuana,” he said.

“We have less experience in Calgary with meth than we do with other drugs.”

It’s not clear where the meth was manufactured or if it was destined for the Calgary market, said Walker."

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/09/24/calgary-police-make-record-1-million-meth-seizure
Otto, that story was fall of 2013 - since then meth has boomed in Calgary.

http://www.calgaryjournal.ca/index....ports-dramatic-rise-in-crystal-meth-addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18