Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excluding media reporting surrounding criminal activities in other countries, it sounds like there were some gossiping neighbours in an Ontario case (everyone gets their 15 minutes of fame), and De Grood, a 33-year veteran of the Calgary Police Service, publicly expressed his condolences to the families of his son's victims. I think that the families of the accused are in many ways the first victims of the person that commits murder, and that they deserve privacy.

And yet you have no problem digging into every aspect of the victims' lives, suggesting JO was negligent in leaving her son with his grandparents and that Al's business dealings were shady.

Getting info on the accused and his family is not some strange foreign news practice. How is the New YOrker reporting on Adam Lanza's parents any different from Alberta media reporting on the Garlands?

When you harbour a killer, unintentionally or not, your privacy is going to be affected. It's just the way it is.

I've also been on the fence of an accomplice. But the LE statement of one suspect had me try to focus on DG. But now I'm thinking maybe it's possible that LE is just saying one suspect to put the other at ease and under surveillance with 'covert assets'. Maybe LE is playing dumb for an accomplice to be watched, but wouldn't DG have turned on his partner if there was one? Why would he take all the charges and let his partner run free?

If this was premeditated to the nth degree, with even the bodies removed to prevent the evidence from pointing to him,(them), why would he talk at all? The burden of proof is on LE and prosecution. Where is the wisdom in ratting out an accomplice, when he is saying he had nothing to do with it?
I think this particular suspect is arrogant enough to think he can beat it. He knows bodies will not be found, and is likely building his own legal defence. MOO

That's just it. Information just becomes available.

In the case of DG there is none. It's like he came into existence upon being expelled for cheating in university. Was he a choir boy until this point? Or were there earlier signs of trouble? His family may be of interest and although they do need privacy, I'm not understanding why they'd be more entitled to that than the Likness and O'Brien families.
If we were to find that a young DG ran away constantly to a certain spot and then it turned out that this is where the bodies are....

I agree, they are very conspicuous in their silence.
I have to question whether they knew their son was manufacturing drugs on the homestead back then, and whether they were silently enabling him.

The P2 company is from recent years. The meth trafficking conviction in based on an arrest in 1992. If there was a meth lab on the property today, he would be facing related charges. He isn't, so there is no meth lab today, there is no reason to draw connections between the accused today and hell's angels motorcycle gangs. The man is accused of murder, not producing illegal drugs.

Who is to say he doesn't travel in those circles? And that he couldn't call on his contacts, or they call on him to perform various duties ? I think we'd be remiss if we didn't consider the HA and other gangs as connections to this.

I wonder if the intent was to kidnap the child. I also wonder if there were paid assassins. The child could still be alive somewhere. This whole thing has meth lab and mexico drug lords written all over it. The businesses were just a front. This is my opinion. He has a history of this and has connections to bad people.

Was that late model green truck restored? Who owned it? I am just trying to piece this together.

Do we know for sure the name on the identification? Also, are we sure there was a credit card?

Yes we are sure. They laid a charge for having someone's credit card on him at the time of the arrest.

I am confused by your response. Credit card? A charge was given? Was the truck his or not?

I am confused by your response. Credit card? A charge was given? Was the truck his or not?

I was responding to another post by Cattools. I did not respond to your post.

Who is to say he doesn't travel in those circles? And that he couldn't call on his contacts, or they call on him to perform various duties ? I think we'd be remiss if we didn't consider the HA and other gangs as connections to this.
Did you hear about the recent busts in Airdrie related to HA ?

I think that fact that he can puzzle/elude the police with all their specialty forces is half of the buzz for this type of murderer!

no, I never said he was dealing, I think I posted about the ambiguity of the term trafficking which does not necessarily mean dealing. The UBC Prof/instructor was actually a manufacturer of methamphetamine prior to being a prof/instructor, prior to this he was with imperial oil and lost his job due to economic cycle.

Just catching up, but once you're caught with a certain amount of marijuana, it's automatically an "intent to traffic", the reasoning being that it goes beyond personal use quantities. I have friends who when we were teenagers, got caught with a fair amount of pot, and it was an automatic trafficking charge. I would assume that the same translates to other drugs.

Here is some useful info regarding drug trafficking in Canada. http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/T/Trafficking.aspx

Trafficking is not a term known to the common law. It is a creature of statute and therefore, any definition for a particular jurisdiction must defer to the relevant reference in criminal statutes.

As of 2010, the latter defined trafficking at §2 as:

" ... to sell, administer, give, transfer, transport, send or deliver the (controlled) substance, (or) to sell an authorization to obtain the substance ... otherwise than under the authority of the regulations."
In R v Taylor, the Court of Appeal of British Columbia wrote:

"The gravamen of the charge of trafficking is possession plus the intent or purpose of physically making the hashish available to others, regardless of ownership. The simple fact that it was economic for the purchase price to be collected in advance from the potential users of the narcotic and a bulk purchase made, thereby vesting in such users some claim to ownership and title and even a deemed joint possession by them, does not alter the nature of the physical act of giving, delivering or distributing the narcotic to another or others, which in itself constitutes the offence."
In R v Larson, Justice Branca of the same court added:

"Trafficking does not include the act of buying or accepting from a vendor. The one who buys, accepts or receives a drug might acquire possession of that drug for his own use and/or for the purpose of trafficking as defined in the Narcotic Control Act.

"If he receives possession in one of the ways aforesaid, unless he has a licence he is guilty of unlawful possession of a narcotic."
Compare with this, from Justice Bird in the 1963 case, R v MacDonald:

"Some element or ingredient beyond mere possession is required to constitute trafficking. Unlawful possession is not an essential ingredient of trafficking and the accused person can be in unlawful possession though he be not engaged in trafficking."

DG's "Ranchland Equipment Ltd" business was also established in 2000.

http://wikiparts.com/index2.php?opt...id=22&Itemid=103&distributor_id=7752&pdf=lite

Key Products / Services:
Bearings; Power Transmission ( Belts, Bushings, Chain, Couplings, Pulleys,
Sprockets, Etc. ); Electric motors; Electrical components; Gear reducers; Maintenance
products; Seals; Heavy Equipment Parts; Hydraulics
Description of Services:
Machine tool repair, Development, and Prototype

Nobody anywhere talking about his company (i.e. great/bad company/products/services), and only 2 google hits with self-generated information (well, 1 actually as they are both on the same site):

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q="ranchland+equipment+ltd"+airdrie

Tightly knit farming community, yet neighbours weren't even sure DG lived there or who he really was, let alone the fact he supposedly ran 2 business in that same community.

:wave:

Attention Please!

Just a reminder that Websleuths is a victim friendly website. The victims in this case include the families of both the victims and the accused. Please post accordingly.

tia
fran

DG's "Ranchland Equipment Ltd" business was also established in 2000.

http://wikiparts.com/index2.php?opt...id=22&Itemid=103&distributor_id=7752&pdf=lite

Nobody anywhere talking about his company (i.e. great/bad company/products/services), and only 2 google hits with self-generated information (well, 1 actually as they are both on the same site):

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q="ranchland+equipment+ltd"+airdrie

Tightly knit farming community, yet neighbours weren't even sure DG lived there or who he really was, let alone the fact he supposedly ran 2 business in that same community.

The more I think about various aspects of this leads me to question if the disappearance is not necessarily related to a meager patent dispute but rather a larger money/business/investment situation. There appears to be a bunch of small (lets call them shell) companies present from various individual (DG's two companies, AL's various companies, potentially CL's carpet and flooring company, some company in Panama, KL's website design, etc.) There is also the relationship tie between DG's sister and the Liknes family.

I'm curious to know how and when the Liknes and Garlands first became acquainted.

DG's "Ranchland Equipment Ltd" business was also established in 2000 ...

Jumping off my own post .. found another hit for Ranchland Equipment Ltd dated Aug 15 2013 where DG was looking to purchase zinc phosphide, so company was apparently operating 2000 thru 2013:

http://www.chemnet.com/Global/Offer-to-Buy/Zinc-phosphide-260509.html

So 13 years and nobody on the www had anything to say about DG's companies ?? Maybe this guy is just a legend in his own mind.

And yet you have no problem digging into every aspect of the victims' lives, suggesting JO was negligent in leaving her son with his grandparents and that Al's business dealings were shady.

Getting info on the accused and his family is not some strange foreign news practice. How is the New YOrker reporting on Adam Lanza's parents any different from Alberta media reporting on the Garlands?

When you harbour a killer, unintentionally or not, your privacy is going to be affected. It's just the way it is.

I don't think so. I have questioned why the grandparents invited a five year old to have a sleepover given that the house contents had been sold during a three day "leaving the country" sale and their lives were in upheaval (bankruptcy declaration earlier in the week). I have no problem exploring a motive for the murders. Per newspaper reports, the motive seems to be directly related to a patent that was altered by the accused, where the accused believed that victim should have named the accused as a co-inventor. I don't think that anyone "harboured a killer" in this case. It has been reported that the parents of the accused were on vacation at the time of the murders and the arrest.

Media reporting laws, standards, and practices in foreign countries have no bearing on reporting on these murders. Furthermore, if we want to adhere to the practices in foreign countries, why not look to England, as that is the origin of the Canadian Criminal Code (1892). US law is very different than Canadian law. For example, in Canada, a suspect can be questioned for hours without the presence of a lawyer. That isn't the case in the US.

I'm curious ... what information about the elderly parents of the accused is relevant to the triple murder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_a_supervillain