Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha !! Psychopathy and the fascinating little amygdala ... one of my most favourite topics. My friends discuss gardening, celebrities, cooking and such ... I discuss serial killers, psychopathy, and the under-developed amygdala ;) :

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/182/1/5.full

OT .. Like my good ol' Mom used to say, "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" :banghead:

:)

Ah yes, and the good old 'amygdala hijack' also known as "lizard brain". That's when emotions bypass the amygdala for processing and a person basically snaps and loses their temper really quickly.
(Sorry, don't have a link, learned that from a private workshop I took - 'Advanced Leadership Skills' with Dr. Haemsbergen)

It added a HUGE piece to the puzzle...I had been on the train of thought that DG had possibly been that other driver....your information cleared it up completely! I am so glad your friend was not on call...I know I would not have been able to handle something so tragic....
I'm glad I found your post....took some digging....I remembered it but couldn't remember who or which thread...but I definitely remembered...& I wasn't coming back to post till I found it! :)

[modsnip] My friend knew how the reporters had contacted the Hartley's and she didn't want it to happen to this family.

"He was belatedly tracked down — in Richmond, B.C., where he had also been arrested in connection with a stolen tractor-trailer — in 1999 only after Calgary RCMP put him on its most wanted list on the web."

BBM What on earth would someone steal a tractor-trailer unit for? Surely not for a one-time joy ride. They are upwards of 65 feet in length and not just anyone can drive one of those rigs, given all the gears and bells and whistles on them, farm boy, or not. Any idea where this unit was stolen and for how long it was in DG's possession? Did it belong to a trucking company? Was it a dry or refrigerated trailer? Where would he have parked it? The bigger question is.. What were his plans for it??[/QUOTE]

Ah, young Grasshopper; these are questions whose answers are on the wind. lol

Maybe someday someone will have a chance to ask him.

If he plans to use a temp insanity defence, it helps if he's remorseful and suicidal, as it could be interpreted as: he came to his senses and can't deal with what he did. On the other hand, it would be difficult to argue that he was temporarily insane, as insane people do not cleverly hide the evidence.

This person hid the bodies and fled to the US. He was found not criminally responsible. Leniency, and accepting excuses are well known in Canadian criminal law verdicts and sentencing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ponsible-in-2-halifax-deaths/article16498725/

This person hid the bodies and fled to the US. He was found not criminally responsible. Leniency, and accepting excuses are well known in Canadian criminal law verdicts and sentencing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ponsible-in-2-halifax-deaths/article16498725/

Schizophrenia is known to cause crazy thoughts that might result in murder, so it makes sense that he was found not criminally responsible. The accused in this case has been diagnosed with mental health issues, but he's not schizophrenic.

Schizophrenia is known to cause crazy thoughts that might result in murder, so it makes sense that he was found not criminally responsible. The accused in this case has been diagnosed with mental health issues, but he's not schizophrenic.

He does have a history of "breakdowns" from yet unknown
causes. Not criminally responsible is not reserved solely for cases of Schizophrenia. As in the case example, all it takes is some "experts" to make a determination that the accused could not appreciate his actions were morally wrong.

He does have a history of "breakdowns" from yet unknown
causes. Not criminally responsible is not reserved solely for cases of Schizophrenia. As in the case example, all it takes is some "experts" to make a determination that the accused could not appreciate his actions were morally wrong.

Given what he is accused of doing, he may well have had some sort of disturbed thinking at the time of the murders. It's also possible that a clear motive will be found in connection with financial transactions. Perhaps that motive can be related to disturbed thinking. Clearly something was wrong with his thinking for him to murder a five year old child ... was it pure rage, or was he a bit nuts?

Given what he is accused of doing, he may well have had some sort of disturbed thinking at the time of the murders. It's also possible that a clear motive will be found in connection with financial transactions. Perhaps that motive can be related to disturbed thinking. Clearly something was wrong with his thinking for him to murder a five year old child ... was it pure rage, or was he a bit nuts?

I think either there is something deeper to this case we do not know about or he is a bit NUTS. JMO

I think either there is something deeper to this case we do not know about or he is a bit NUTS. JMO

IMO I believe that he has ADD, a personality disorder and has had a few " neurotic" breakdowns.
I believe he deliberately planned this murder, got into the house, perhaps got the first person, was surprised by NO and by them was committed. I dont think he was possessed or psychotic.

I can't remember if this has been mentioned before - the photo below from the following article shows 'forensic investigators' (according to the caption) at the Liknes home. Does anyone know why the mask or reasoning for it? Is this standard gear for them to wear?
View attachment 57206

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...-of-home-belonging-to-missing-liknes-couple/#
My guess is that it is precautionary. They work with various chemicals used for testing and evidence collection.

I look at that picture above and think "Geesh those storm doors are so noisy". Remember trying to sneak in late at night and those doors were alarms of a sort,, no amount of wd40 could keep them quiet. And everybody knows their own house sounds. The side door at the L's, was it on the side where they had no neighbours?

I look at the face of the accused, and perhaps in my naivete still don't see the evil. He looks intense and determined during his 'perp walk', but aside from that, he could be any one of my husband's buddies. We are told he is 5'7" in stature, about 140 lbs, and he is charged with killing 2 adults and a child.
On another thread a 17 year old boy with kind eyes, anybody's kid,... is charged with the brutal death of a 6 year old girl.
A male nurse and his dog grooming wife are charged with kidnapping and assaulting two Amish girls in Washington.
One of the most terrifying things for me is how the monsters of the world blend in so darn well, without the defining characteristics they are 'supposed' to have.
How do we ever teach our kids who to beware of? HOW DO WE KNOW OURSELVES?
I'm glad I no longer have little ones in my care, or the task of explaining the concept of 'evil' while leaving the magic of childhood intact.

I look at the face of the accused, and perhaps in my naivete still don't see the evil. He looks intense and determined during his 'perp walk', but aside from that, he could be any one of my husband's buddies. We are told he is 5'7" in stature, about 140 lbs, and he is charged with killing 2 adults and a child.
On another thread a 17 year old boy with kind eyes, anybody's kid,... is charged with the brutal death of a 6 year old girl.
A male nurse and his dog grooming wife are charged with kidnapping and assaulting two Amish girls in Washington.
One of the most terrifying things for me is how the monsters of the world blend in so darn well, without the defining characteristics they are 'supposed' to have.
How do we ever teach our kids who to beware of? HOW DO WE KNOW OURSELVES?
I'm glad I no longer have little ones in my care, or the task of explaining the concept of 'evil' while leaving the magic of childhood intact.

So true! Evil is insidious and it doesn't necessarily have an ugly face. We are so conditioned into expecting evil people to be ugly monsters. Often they look like the boy/girl next door. The one thing we do know about evil people is that they lack empathy for other living beings.

I can't remember if this has been mentioned before - the photo below from the following article shows 'forensic investigators' (according to the caption) at the Liknes home. Does anyone know why the mask or reasoning for it? Is this standard gear for them to wear?
View attachment 57206

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...-of-home-belonging-to-missing-liknes-couple/#

I wonder if that's the ME, and whether he's particularly cautious because of illnesses associated with bodily fluids.

Hello Otto :) The accused does not have to be schizophrenic in order to be deemed "NCR". Schizoprhrenia is just one of the illnesses that can result in complete psychosis at the time of a criminal act, however, there are others as well. The following article states that "mental disorder" or "mental impairment" at the time of the offense is taken into consideration in a "not criminal responsible" plea well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder_defence

Hello Otto :) The accused does not have to be schizophrenic in order to be deemed "NCR". Schizoprhrenia is just one of the illnesses that can result in complete psychosis at the time of a criminal act, however, there are others as well. The following article states that "mental disorder" or "mental impairment" at the time of the offense is taken into consideration in a "not criminal responsible" plea well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_disorder_defence

Absolutely. That's another significant difference between law in Canada and law in the US. For example, pretty much every woman that murders her children in Canada is recognized has having a mental disturbance and is confined to a psychiatric institution until she is well again ... simply because it is not normal for women to murder their children. In the US, women that murder their children are usually viewed as being criminal monsters, and they are placed in prison for life. That is, in Canada, if there is a psychiatric problem that played a part in murder, rehabilitation through appropriate treatment, rather than punishment, is the preferred solution.

Absolutely. That's another significant difference between law in Canada and law in the US. For example, pretty much every woman that murders her children in Canada is recognized has having a mental disturbance and is confined to a psychiatric institution until she is well again ... simply because it is not normal for women to murder their children. In the US, women that murder their children are usually viewed as being criminal monsters, and they are placed in prison for life. That is, in Canada, if there is a psychiatric problem that played a part in murder, rehabilitation through appropriate treatment, rather than punishment, is the preferred solution.

Oh...lol. I thought you were going somewhere with your comment regarding the accused (DG) not being schizophrenic. I was just indicating that he doesn't have to necessarily be schizophrenic in order to be deemed NCR. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18