Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a gift to law enforcement, these smart loyal well trained dogs. Furry heroes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all - I was a poster when they originally went missing. Stopped lurking and joined up again.

I kept seeing the wood chipper in the images and knew it had to be involved. There's no way he could eliminate bodies that fully in a barrel. So awful...

With the defense asking about Sully being able to distinguish between pork/human remains I can see them trying to bust out something about composting kitchen garbage for garden soil but not when you find this quantity.

Thank you Kamille for the Twitter posts today!

Welcome back Hearts :welcome:

I figured there has to be a way that the bones that wouldn't burn to ash were destroyed or disposed of too. The dog's interest in the vegetable garden may indicate where the chipper was throwing fragments. :(

MOO

Sully's over the top reaction to the small green sweater :scared:

For the dog to be so interested in the small green sweater, would he not need to of been deceased in the sweater for the cadaver dog to show interest in it? Does anyone remember what the amber alert said Nathan was wearing, since we now know it wasn't the pink pjs?

For the dog to be so interested in the small green sweater, would he not need to of been deceased in the sweater for the cadaver dog to show interest in it? Does anyone remember what the amber alert said Nathan was wearing, since we now know it wasn't the pink pjs?
He's trained to detect blood too so I guess that may be it ...

I've not heard of a green sweater before but *gulp*

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 25s25 seconds ago
There was also metal zippers, microchips, buttons... "Anything that was out of the normal- that wasn't ash" was put aside. #Garland #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie now30 seconds ago
Court sees close up of possible items put aside for examination. Looks to me like a few socks, some metal bits, shoelaces... #Garland #yyc

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt now43 seconds ago
Socks, belt buckles, glasses among items shown in photo of items taken from burn debris pile for further examination. #Garland #yyc

Why would they find multiple socks, shoelaces, belt buckles etc... in the burn pile debris? Weren't AL, KL and NO sleeping at the time they were assaulted? There would be no reason for them to be wearing belt buckles or shoes with shoelaces while they were sleeping. PJs with buttons or zippers are possible and even the socks but where did the belt buckles and shoelaces come from?

Why would they find multiple socks, shoelaces, belt buckles etc... in the burn pile debris? Weren't AL, KL and NO sleeping at the time they were assaulted? There would be no reason for them to be wearing belt buckles or shoes with shoelaces while they were sleeping. PJs with buttons or zippers are possible and even the socks but where did the belt buckles and shoelaces come from?

Perhaps from the clothing Garland was wearing that night?

MOO

Maybe one belt buckle from DG, also his runners.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

He was wearing a tshirt and shorts during the day and it was in the Amber alert. Neither was green IIRC. There's the pic of him with KL in his day clothes. I doubt DG would keep anything related to victims.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
#Garland trial resuming w/ defence questioning Cst. Williams

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 2m2 minutes ago
#Garland trial back on after p.m. break, with Williams being x-examined

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 11s12 seconds ago
Defence Kim Ross asks "is it fair to say, in these areas, you didn't find anything" #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 5s5 seconds ago
Willams says he leaves that to the investigators. "I am watching my dog," says he points out areas of alerts and "moves on" #Garland #yyc

Watching dogs work is an amazing thing. Whether it be a hunting dog or a LE cadaver dog. The relationship the dog has to its owner or handler is something special.

[video=youtube;OBPr1y0JP08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBPr1y0JP08[/video]

You can see some amazing dog field trials on youtube that are neat to watch.

It is significant to me that Sully reacted to the little green sweater. Yet why??

If the Garlands hoard shoes I'd bet the hoard clothing too ... it could be that Garland has used the 'little green sweater' to wipe his hands on or some such thing ...

Or ... if Nathan had whipped off the pink pyjamas - (this is so hard to type) could Garland have made him put some clothes on before he took him, whatever was to hand?

Now I think of it, I'm wondering if he did take Nathan alive, took him not knowing at that point what he would do because he hadn't planned on Nathan being a part of it ... and maybe that's why he searched 'how to kill without emotion' 😯😢

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 2m2 minutes ago
Williams: says he points out areas to investigators, isn't involved beyond that. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 58s58 seconds ago
Defence has finished questioning of Willams. Last crown witness of the day is Cst. Aron Johnson ( I prev called Johnston, sry) #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 8m8 minutes ago
Johnson explains he worked with Sully at beginning of 2014 as a back up, but it wasn't until July 19/14 he became Sully's handler #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 6m6 minutes ago
Sully wil be fully retired when new cadaver dog, Riggs, is up and fully trained. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 7m7 minutes ago
Johnson said Sully is in the midst of retirement and he will be getting a new dog, Riggs shortly #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 3m3 minutes ago
I did it hear it right: it's Cst. Aron Johnston, misspelled on trial schedule. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 3m3 minutes ago
Justice Gates is satisfied that Johnston is an expert in handling Sully and dog handling. #Garland #yyc

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 4m4 minutes ago
Cst. Johnston, certified by court as an expert, now talking about calling Sully back and forth on #Garland farm.

"I heard Sully's breath changing ... it was right near that sprayer" says Johnston, was an interest. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Johnston: "I heard Sully’s breath changing...he started showing interest in and around the sprinkler area" #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 23s23 seconds ago
A red sprayer by the greenhouse, says Johnston, "behind that ... interest all around that area, right behind the shed." #Garland

[video=twitter;823662897226100736]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/823662897226100736[/video]

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 4m4 minutes ago
Cst. Johnston, certified by court as an expert, now talking about calling Sully back and forth on #Garland farm.

"I heard Sully's breath changing ... it was right near that sprayer" says Johnston, was an interest. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
Johnston: "I heard Sully’s breath changing...he started showing interest in and around the sprinkler area" #Garland

Valerie Fortney ‏@ValFortney 23s23 seconds ago
A red sprayer by the greenhouse, says Johnston, "behind that ... interest all around that area, right behind the shed." #Garland

[video=twitter;823662897226100736]https://twitter.com/NancyHixt/status/823662897226100736[/video]

Just to be clear. The dog went on diffetent days with different people to search different areas each time?

Crown has no more questions for the Johnston. #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
Johnston being cross examined--says when Sully "indicates" human remains-he then tells other officers who investigate further #Garland

Johnston tells defence Jim Ross that when Sully indicates/alerts in an area they mark the spot for further investigation. #Garland #yyc

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 3m3 minutes ago
At the time of the #Garland investigation, there was only one Calgary Police cadaver dog--that was Sully

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 2m2 minutes ago
#Garland trial ends for the day. Resumes tomorrow at 10 a.m. #yyc

Just to be clear. The dog went on diffetent days with different people to search different areas each time?

The dog only went on one day, July 18, 2014. At the time he had two different handlers as one was leaving his career with the K-9 unit. I believe it was Linds who was leaving and Johnson who would be taking over. So at that time, they were both handlers for Sully. Const Williams was the one who deciphered what Sully was telling them and passed on the info to investigators. If I got that wrong, someone please correct me.

TIA

ETA: This is incorrect and I have adjusted it in a post further down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members