Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 10s10 seconds ago
Footage from West Calgary Dental shows Green Ford pickup truck pull into back alleyway/parking area and stop at 9:11 am June 30'14 #Garland

[video=twitter;828686844082606080]https://twitter.com/MetroLucie/status/828686844082606080[/video]

Did we hear when the truck left after the psych appointment?

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 44s45 seconds ago
Make up of the #Garland jury is now 10 men and three women.

Michael PlattVerified account ‏@SUNMichaelPlatt 36s37 seconds ago
#Garland juror 8 allowed to leave trial, due to death of his son. Jury now numbers 13. Judge offers condolences. #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 19s20 seconds ago
One juror in the #Garland trial has been accused after the death of his son. Justice Gates offering kind words to remaining 13 jurors.

Just wanted to bring this forward to offer my condolences to the juror who suddenly lost their son over the weekend. Things were moving fast this morning when that news hit. How very tragic after everything he has already had to sit through during the course of this trial. I hope he has a lot of emotional support right now. :cry:

Also wanted to note that Lucie Edwardson did post a correction on that last tweet of hers. It should say that the juror was excused and not accused. Just in case anyone picks up on that and wonders what she meant by it. An unfortunate typo is all.

I'm intrigued by the dental office. I wonder if Douglas knew someone that worked there? We have heard that there was a dental chair, dental equipment and anaesthetic at the farm. You can probably purchase all that stuff online but why would he stop at the dental office that morning? I'm thinking that if he knew someone there maybe that person was supplying him with equipment from the office. Maybe that individual discreetly left stuff in the alley for Douglas.

The dental office shares space with the Psychiatrist

The dental office is on the main floor of the medical building his psychiatrist office is at.

The fact that Nathan was there, really put a kink into his planning. No doubt, Nathan would be missed the next day and someone would be looking for him. Maybe he came back and parked somewhere to watch in order to see whoever arrived at the house and their reaction. He is a sick . i wouldn't put it past him that he wanted another "thrill" out of what he'd done.

That's why i think he went back. With nathan missing he was going to have less time before the crime scene was discovered. I think he wanted to see if Nathan's parents or the police were there yet.

I'm intrigued by the dental office. I wonder if Douglas knew someone that worked there? We have heard that there was a dental chair, dental equipment and anaesthetic at the farm. You can probably purchase all that stuff online but why would he stop at the dental office that morning? I'm thinking that if he knew someone there maybe that person was supplying him with equipment from the office. Maybe that individual discreetly left stuff in the alley for Douglas.
I think if he had left the truck for any reason, they would have shown a screen shot of DG. Maybe he had cuts then and use some make up to cover them before the appt.

It took me a few weeks of following the Bosma trial to figure out lawyers have a lot more leeway during a cross.

Yes but I don't think they can just make up a suggestion to suit themselves and their case and pose it to a witness. That would be giving evidence and they can't do that. I believe this defence team has already been warned about that once. They can "refresh" the memories of people on their original statements however.

MOO

Yes but I don't think they can just make up a suggestion to suit themselves and their case and pose it to a witness. That would be giving evidence and they can't do that. I believe this defence team has already been warned about that once. They can "refresh" the memories of people on their original statements however.

MOO

I agree. That 7:15 am time must have been given during one of his statements. Just pointing out the crown would not be able to suggest a time. They can only ask what time.

The dental office shares space with the Psychiatrist

Okay cool. I was confused because I didn't look at the physical address of the therapist and on the YP link that someone just posted the map actually showed the office on 37th Street but on the other side of Bow Trail. That is why I thought that maybe he stopped at the Therapist and then made another trip down the street to the Dental office.

Interesting thoughts. Maybe he figured out a way to take stuff from that office via that alley? Or was "dumpster diving" in that alley. I'm trying to figure out why he would pull into that back alley, stop for a minute and then proceed to park at the mall across the street?

If he went back over concern over how much time he had - that makes me wonder if he left them alive at that farm and wanted to know how much time he had to do whatever it was he was planning on doing to them.

I agree. That 7:15 am time must have been given during one of his statements. Just pointing out the crown would not be able to suggest a time. They can only ask what time.

Although now i am curious if DG sent one of his little notes to his lawyer saying he was in the shower at 7:15am (he'd know about the time of the video) is defence allowed to lead a witness to say what they want? The witness doesn't have to bite. He could have stuck with 7:00am like he said originally. Anyone with trial knowledge know?

When going from the Liknes house to his appointment is there a car wash in that area?

When going from the Liknes house to his appointment is there a car wash in that area?

Quite a few within a couple of blocks of that route. Most notably there is one on 17th Ave at 30th street (or so - I don't know the exact street but it is a couple blocks east of the McDonald's by Westbrook Mall.)

Const Bouchard was a fantastic witness. It's just to bad that we can't see the video he put together. I think his testimony would make more sense but regardless, it certainly seemed he threw every ounce of his energy into connecting the movement of the truck.

Something very important I think, that Garland left the acreage, drove around the Liknes residence and then was personally witnessed at his psychiatrist appointment. That establishes that he was the driver of the green truck and that it was under his control.

Also wanted to note that Lucie Edwardson did post a correction on that last tweet of hers. It should say that the juror was excused and not accused. Just in case anyone picks up on that and wonders what she meant by it. An unfortunate typo is all.

I've noticed that Lucie Edwardson makes a lot of errors in her tweets, presumably because she wants to get them out quickly. Reminds me of something my friend, who is a reporter for CTV once said, "it's better to be right than first."

Although now i am curious if DG sent one of his little notes to his lawyer saying he was in the shower at 7:15am (he'd know about the time of the video) is defence allowed to lead a witness to say what they want? The witness doesn't have to bite. He could have stuck with 7:00am like he said originally. Anyone with trial knowledge know?

Even if so, it doesn't really make any difference. Mr Garland would have been asked the question during his initial police interview, but he testified he didn't even remember the interview. Due to his age, I think he deserves a pass on his confusion.

But by the Prosecution calling the seniors as witnesses, it demonstrates that nobody was really keeping close tabs on DG. That's important if jurors wonder how someone could commit the alleged crime under the nose of two other people who share the residence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0