Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He also was busy stealing identities when he allegedly had a breakdown in his first semester at university. I don't believe he had a breakdown, and doubt that he has ADHD. I do believe that he uses mental disorders as an excuse for his actions.
. Just for the record he stole the ID after he fled Alberta to BC taking adventage of being released on bail after being accused of drug manufacturing and trafficking to make I suppose a fresh start without his criminal record. Otherwise I don't think he would have found a job. He is smart and is a good liar in keeping appearances but it does not mean IMO he has no mental issues.

I guess I'm talking about evidence that didn't make it to court. Obviously, this is covered by the pub ban right now, but "what the jury did not hear stories" always emerge when the jury is sequestered. Not all of that content happens in pretrial, some happens during trial when the jury isn't in the room. I just didn't notice twitter saying "were in legal arguments. Can't report on anything while the jury is out." as much as I expected. But maybe I missed this by following via the cbc blog. I'm wondering if anyone felt something was left out, that is of particular interest.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I'd have to go search tweets again but if my memory isn't failing me, there was a legal argument session just prior to court presenting an agreed statement of facts regarding DG's psych appointments. If memory also serves correctly prior to this legal argument session media reported that his psychologist would be testifying next....the psychologist never did. Just this agreed statement of facts was presented. Now let me see what I can find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to throw this out there.. I'm not sure how long it has been recognized that ADD/ADHD is not only a condition of childhood, but can affect people into adulthood. (Wow, is this site incredibly slow tonight or is my new computer taking a cr@p already?) Secondly, I think that GPs are not always up to date on these conditions and may not always feel comfortable in prescribing meds which they really have not much experience with. In my experience, meds for ADHD kids are preferred to be prescribed by pediatricians.. and then when a child becomes 18, they leave the ped's care and go on to get care from someone else. I could see him going regularly for meds, because in Ontario, not sure if same in Alberta, docs don't like to prescribe meds too far in advance any more, and they like to see their patients in person in order to prescribe more. May not have to be weekly, for sure... but wondering if that could also be something related to DG potentially being on some kind of disability income via the government.. not sure what their requirements are for continuation, etc.? Also, too bad we don't know more, but it could be that he was attending weekly group therapy sessions or something, and not necessarily a one-on-one one-hour appointment with the actual psychiatrist each week? He may have also had multiple diagnoses, which may have made it more difficult to get his meds down right?
I'm in Alberta, my son sees a pediatrician and he prescribes his medication usually 6 months at a time. My GP prescribes mine but she isn't really up on newer meds so I usually ask my son's pediatrician, lol. He tells me what to ask my gp for, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm in Alberta, my son sees a pediatrician and he prescribes his medication usually 6 months at a time. My GP prescribes mine but she isn't really up on newer meds so I usually ask my son's pediatrician, lol. He tells me what to ask my gp for, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Tell me about it, I go to GP after asking google ;-)

You clearly know very little about this topic, and you should stop commenting on it. Psychiatrists are not mind readers and are not responsible for not treating something a patient hides/doesn't present. End of story.

I'm glad you said this lol. No doubt it wasn't brave, but it was her job. It could easily have been someone else and honestly I think she's only getting this level of praise because she is a young woman. I feel like if a man did it no one would be phased and saying "omg what a strong brave hero" the way people are with this woman. Actually, wasn't her partner there (a man) in the arrest video too, also running through the fields? The video and testimony seems to show they had equal involvement in tracking DG down and arresting him in the field. So yes although people mean well by praising this girl, it's sexist. I will just say both her and her partner and all the other LE involved that evening did a great job working together and making the arrest.

I see no reason to think he didn't have a valid driver's license. The fact that he drove that truck was a huge part of the trial. Family members and LE mentioned that the truck was registered to DG's dad but DG drove it. No mention of him not having a drivers license. You'd think someone would have said "he doesn't even have a valid license!" I could see his sister saying that if it were the case. Not sure why this is being speculated.

Meth is an amphetamine, just like all the drugs that treat ADHD. Meth is actually a legitimate treatment for ADHD, but it's not common and less addictive options are tried first. But really, it's not that different from adderall, Dexedrine, vyvanse etc.

I would say if he had a rental vehicle he had a license or they wouldn't have rented it to him...of course I guess his parents could have rented it for him.

Its graffic so do not read that if you are sensible. Do you remember DG injuries? Having this kind of wound which is on his right hand would be due to cutting with saw for hours. I have also impression that he literally took a bath in iodine\betadine which is hard to wash off and used in hospitals as desinfectant (surgeries).

why didn't he just sue them if he felt he was not treated fairly.

In his father's testimony, he said he (the father) told him, "You can't win them all". From that it sounded as if DG had told his father that maybe he wanted to sue them, or fight in whatever way to get even.

attachment.php

Look at the end of the truck bed, end of this white smth (right upper corner of the photo) and magnify a bit.

Looks like 2-3 barrels?

Wasn't there a weeklong voir dire in December for evidence admissibility? A week is a long time for a 4-5 week trial.I bet there will be revelations following jury sequestration.

@kittymeow, did the evidence at trial match to the prelim? Or were you surprised by any? (Just out of curiosity)

Keeping the families in my prayers this weekend and week ahead.

I have found smth on video released by the police which might be relevant or just be an artifact but if it is not it could be disturbing for someone. Is it ok I paste it?

attachment.php

Look at the end of the truck bed, end of this white smth (right upper corner of the photo) and magnify a bit.

You can watch whole video here : http://video.todaysfarmer.ca/search...land-triple-murder-trial/5313197067001/page/3

I'm on an iPad, so I can't see it well, but here's a thought: Princess Auto sells a small, foldable ramp for the back of a pick up truck. If DG used a ramp, then it would be the last thing loaded back into his truck. Did he use a ramp and then use it as a visual shield, covering it with a white sheet?

A person could estimate the length of the truck bed, and the length of the white thing to see if the theory is reasonable.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/600-lb-8-ft-foldable-utility-steel-ramp-hardware/A-p8118234e

http://www.truckinamerica.com/toppers/BedSize.htm

His parole conditions were over in 2003. Seeing a psychiatrist after that would of been voluntary

You could be right. However, there may have been other charges since then which might have been dropped if he agreed to an undertaking such as seeing a psychiatrist. If there were other charges, they wouldn't be admissible in court, so we wouldn't necessarily hear about them. jmo

In his father's testimony, he said he (the father) told him, "You can't win them all". From that it sounded as if DG had told his father that maybe he wanted to sue them, or fight in whatever way to get even.

Looks like 2-3 barrels?

"You can't win then all" is a common saying by the older generation. It means the same as "win some, lose some" or "such is life", translated into a nice way of saying "it's not worth it, just forget about it, give it up and move on".

It also leans toward the senior Garland believing the grudge was petty.

I'm on an iPad, so I can't see it well, but here's a thought: Princess Auto sells a small, foldable ramp for the back of a pick up truck. If DG used a ramp, then it would be the last thing loaded back into his truck. Did he use a ramp and then use it as a visual shield, covering it with a white sheet?

A person could estimate the length of the truck bed, and the length of the white thing to see if the theory is reasonable.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/600-lb-8-ft-foldable-utility-steel-ramp-hardware/A-p8118234e

http://www.truckinamerica.com/toppers/BedSize.htm

Your your theory is certainly possible.

My thought is he may have taken that or something similar from the Liknes garage. We don't know what his original plan was, but whatever that was, it likely didn't happen.

Quite possibly he hadn't expected his attack in the darkness of the night to become so bloody and it took longer than expected, it was approaching sunrise. Also he hadn't expected a third person in the home. Could he have initially planned to transport the two victims in the cab of his truck, cuffs, shackles, garrottes and whatever his research and his demented mind put together? But because of the horrific violence he was forced to look for a way to conceal bodies wrapped in sheets in his truck box? We also know he was in the garage of the home.

Timeline copied from user CentralAlberta:

In order to keep things straight in my brain I made a time line according to the tweets. I didn't worry about the discrepancies in times, which can be confusing, but this is what I came up with
3:00 - N/B on MacLeod Trail
3:07 - 38A Ave
3:09 - Budda Veggies
3:11 - Lube Town 39 Ave heading into Likeness neighborhood
Truck is stationary at 145 38 A Ave
3:12 - Truck is going opposite direction on
3:14 - Truck goes down alleyway behind Likeness home
Truck is stationary near 145 38 A Ave
3:18 - Figure seen walking westbound on sidewalk towards Likeness residence - I have problem with that, is that a twitter error or THIS figure did not walk back?
3:27 - Figure seen walking westbound towards Likeness residence
3:29 - Figure walks back in opposite direction towards pickup.
3:30 - Figure seen walking towards Likeness residence
5:00 - Figure seen walking towards truck from direction of Likeness house
4:52 - Truck moves in direction of Likeness home
5:20 - Truck is seen eastbound on 39 Ave then southbound onto MacLeod Trail
5:22 - Seen passing Quizno's at 42 Ave MacLeod Trail
5:23 - passes Bubbles Car Wash 4715 MacLeod Trail
passes Howard Johnson near 50 Ave MacLeod Trail
5:24 - passes another Bubbles Car Wash 59 Ave and MacLeod Trail
5:25 - passes A1 Cement
5:30 - eastbound on Glenmore Trail toward Deerfoot Trail
5:46 - passes Rocky Mt. Co-op (Equipment??) northbound on Deerfoot
5:49 - passes Balzac weigh station
7:20 - southbound on Deerfoot Trail
7:21 - Rocky Mt Equipment
7:29 - Buddha Veggie
7:27 - Lube Town on MacLeod Trail near 38 Ave
7:47 - Lube Town on MacLeod Trail near 38 Ave
Passes 7-11 on MacLeod Trail
7:43 - 145 38 A Ave - Likeness neighbor, Truck drives part way down street then backs up into intersection and goes eastbound on 38 A Ave and north on MacLeod Trail
8:30 - passes Tim Horton's 39 Ave MacLeod Trail
8:30 - passes Heninger Toyota 39 Ave and MacLeod Trail
8:31 - passes Earlton Stampede Station
At Victoria Station vehicles turns eastbound on 17 Ave
8:37 - passes Newcastle Pub heading west
9:12 - stops at Westbrook Mall

If you see any errors please feel free to fix.

It seems he planned to enter to home/or to start drilling at exactly 3:30 AM, so is that mean he was super well time-organized or maybe could have met someone else or was with someone else. When you act alone what difference does it make if it's 3:28 or 3:22? Prior to that time was he double checking if victimes were asleep, did he shut off electricity maybe from the outside (I could not clearly see digital watch display in bedroom) and that's why router was off or he tourned the router off just before he attacked his victimes or did he do smth else? How did he handle alone to incapacitate two adults and a child without some of them yell for help or SO THEY GET UP FROM BED?? According to blood pattern expert KL and AL were on the floor or close to the floor which would suggest they have been sleeping/lying on their beds in two separate bedrooms at the time of the impact. Did the police try to make crime scene reconstruction? If yes, what was their hypothesis about how could it have happened?

I have impression that there are two different sizes of footprint when I look at rulers so if it's correct did DG change his shoes or there was someone else?
attachment.php

Attachments

• footprints.png
    footprints.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 143
We know that there were no DNA nor handprints of DG found at Liknes home I wonder if the police tried to catch his scent through a special scent trained dog in a way dog was given smth DG was wearing. If they did not, they still have some items/sheets from home maybe scent can still be detected...

We know that there were no DNA nor handprints of DG found at Liknes home I wonder if the police tried to catch his scent through a special scent trained dog in a way dog was given smth DG was wearing. If they did not, they still have some items/sheets from home maybe scent can still be detected...

Even if that were possible, DGs presence at home would not necessarily be proof of murder considering the Liknes's held a publicly advertised estate sale that same weekend.

About the shoe prints.
While we have only the befit of twitter posts, the testimony about the shoe prints appeared to be very extensive. Given the black and purple variance of colorant, it would seem likely that indicates volume of blood. Comparing that to say, mud, it's easy to imagine that a shoe print appears larger or smaller depending on the amount of mud it has stepped in and that's similar to what you're noticing.

As for a second party being involved, Garland's has a well respected defence team backing him and they have chosen to put forward no evidence including a "somebody else done it defence". In my opinion that's the best proof one could ever ask for that Garland acted alone.

Timeline copied from user CentralAlberta:

In order to keep things straight in my brain I made a time line according to the tweets. I didn't worry about the discrepancies in times, which can be confusing, but this is what I came up with
3:00 - N/B on MacLeod Trail
3:07 - 38A Ave
3:09 - Budda Veggies
3:11 - Lube Town 39 Ave heading into Likeness neighborhood
Truck is stationary at 145 38 A Ave
3:12 - Truck is going opposite direction on
3:14 - Truck goes down alleyway behind Likeness home
Truck is stationary near 145 38 A Ave
3:18 - Figure seen walking westbound on sidewalk towards Likeness residence - I have problem with that, is that a twitter error or THIS figure did not walk back?
3:27 - Figure seen walking westbound towards Likeness residence
3:29 - Figure walks back in opposite direction towards pickup.
3:30 - Figure seen walking towards Likeness residence
5:00 - Figure seen walking towards truck from direction of Likeness house
4:52 - Truck moves in direction of Likeness home
5:20 - Truck is seen eastbound on 39 Ave then southbound onto MacLeod Trail
5:22 - Seen passing Quizno's at 42 Ave MacLeod Trail
5:23 - passes Bubbles Car Wash 4715 MacLeod Trail
passes Howard Johnson near 50 Ave MacLeod Trail
5:24 - passes another Bubbles Car Wash 59 Ave and MacLeod Trail
5:25 - passes A1 Cement
5:30 - eastbound on Glenmore Trail toward Deerfoot Trail
5:46 - passes Rocky Mt. Co-op (Equipment??) northbound on Deerfoot
5:49 - passes Balzac weigh station
7:20 - southbound on Deerfoot Trail
7:21 - Rocky Mt Equipment
7:29 - Buddha Veggie
7:27 - Lube Town on MacLeod Trail near 38 Ave
7:47 - Lube Town on MacLeod Trail near 38 Ave
Passes 7-11 on MacLeod Trail
7:43 - 145 38 A Ave - Likeness neighbor, Truck drives part way down street then backs up into intersection and goes eastbound on 38 A Ave and north on MacLeod Trail
8:30 - passes Tim Horton's 39 Ave MacLeod Trail
8:30 - passes Heninger Toyota 39 Ave and MacLeod Trail
8:31 - passes Earlton Stampede Station
At Victoria Station vehicles turns eastbound on 17 Ave
8:37 - passes Newcastle Pub heading west
9:12 - stops at Westbrook Mall

If you see any errors please feel free to fix.

It seems he planned to enter to home/or to start drilling at exactly 3:30 AM, so is that mean he was super well time-organized or maybe could have met someone else or was with someone else. When you act alone what difference does it make if it's 3:28 or 3:22? Prior to that time was he double checking if victimes were asleep, did he shut off electricity maybe from the outside (I could not clearly see digital watch display in bedroom) and that's why router was off or he tourned the router off just before he attacked his victimes or did he do smth else? How did he handle alone to incapacitate two adults and a child without some of them yell for help or SO THEY GET UP FROM BED?? According to blood pattern expert KL and AL were on the floor or close to the floor which would suggest they have been sleeping/lying on their beds in two separate bedrooms at the time of the impact. Did the police try to make crime scene reconstruction? If yes, what was their hypothesis about how could it have happened?

I have impression that there are two different sizes of footprint when I look at rulers so if it's correct did DG change his shoes or there was someone else?
attachment.php
Yes you are correct. The left prints are larger than the right prints. The type of shoe is the same. Does Garland have two significantly different size feet, hence the massive amount of shoes? Did he have to buy two pairs of shoes every time he wanted new shoes? Interesting evidence if true but not presented.

During the testimony of the investigator, a video was shown to the court, apparently correlating the pieces of various CCTV footage. The officer mentioned one of his tasks was determining if the clock on the CCTVs were if the clocks were set correctly and then making any necessary adjustments. If you had looked back at the tweets, there is absolutely no mention of two occasions of an individual backing to the truck events. Nor did the defence point out that possibly. Therefore the most likely explanation that I can think of is a reporter tweeted the timestamp on the CCTV clip but the 3:18 and 3:27 are one and same.

Yes you are correct. The left prints are larger than the right prints. The type of shoe is the same. Does Garland have two significantly different size feet, hence the massive amount of shoes? Did he have to buy two pairs of shoes every time he wanted new shoes? Interesting evidence if true but not presented.

I'm looking at the shoe prints again on my computer now. The white, long thin pieces of paper, are those intended as a control to highlight any possible photo distortion? Because the length of the white paper near the larger footprint is also longer than the white paper against the smaller shoe print.

Is it also possible it looks larger because it's closest to the camera? This same effect is commonly used in the "big fish" photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MISSINGPERSONSMYSTERIES