Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victoria's thread? What is this one?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

otto has created a thread for Victoria Levesque (after cracking that beer!). Looks like an interesting and potentially drama-filled homicide case:

otto:
Cracking a beer to toast the Crown, and going to see if there's a thread for Victoria Levesque. Her body was found East of Calgary on the weekend. She is the sister of a provincial politician, a drug user, and her death has been deemed a homicide.

I just posted a thread for Victoria Levesque. This one has a bad feel to me because she was taken out of the city as part of the murder. I think this one needs sleuthers who can tap into her social media (not something I'm good at). Hopefully it's not similar to the women who were found around the city of Edmonton, and the highway of tears murders - who were all vulnerable women, just like Victoria.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...9#post13151159

I also have been lurking since 2014 but have finally decided to register as I'll miss the community that has formed in the midst of this horrible tragedy. I have followed every thread since the beginning and truly appreciate the insight, time and energy that so many of you have devoted to this case.

I live in the same community as the O'Briens. Little Nathan isn't far from mind when you walk past the playgrounds he frequented or see the faded green ribbons that are still wrapped around trees and people's porches. 💚

Big welcome YouAreMySunshine - please stay with us. There are so many cases to visit...
I love that the ribbons remain. So many people were collectively celebrating yesterday, and grieving. Your community must have been solidly among that group.
Thank-you for sharing.

:welcome:

[video=twitter;832575336839655426]https://twitter.com/660NEWS/status/832575336839655426[/video]

[video=twitter;832565701323821056]https://twitter.com/BillGraveland/status/832565701323821056[/video]

Brace yourselves for a tough day at the sentencing.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 13h13 hours ago
We expect to hear 5 victim impact statements during #Garland sentencing tomorrow

I have been a "lurker" throughout this entire case from Day 1; I felt I had nothing I contribute. I registered now simply to say a heart-felt Thank You for the company, conversations and information on this horrific case! Simply couldn't have read about it elsewhere!!!

So many Lurkers coming out of lurking!!! I love that people felt moved to join us for the end - please stay with us - there is no online place quite like this place.

Welcome LuvLabs! (I'm sorry if I missed you yesterday! Very focused day it was; in fact I'm not even sure if I already welcomed you!)

:welcome6:

I came to websleuths a long time ago. I don't have time to post because there are literally to many cases to follow. I read every single day. I am always thankful to start following a case & bond w it for whatevr reason. I learn. I feel. I jumped into this one about 3 weeks ago. As always amazed I hadn't heard of this case. Nathan happens to look a lot like my gorgeous grandson. Im always astounded to think holy ****** how does this crap happen. How can one human destroy so much. But I know...I'm a good human. There are bad humans. I am grateful to see them here. I'm jaded & grateful for that. Helps me & other people in my life when they hear my websleuths stories, to be aware of the hell of humanity and know there are so many more good humans than bad.
I'm sure I will cross paths w many of u on other cases. I look forward to it & dread it. I'm sure you'll all understand...

What an excellent 1000th post!

[video=twitter;832368246003085313]https://twitter.com/news_ian/status/832368246003085313[/video]

Wow:

AHS Communications ‏@AHS_media
It's been A LOT to process. If you need to talk to someone, help is here: AB Mental Health Helpline 1-877-303-2642 (24/7) #Garland

[video=twitter;832356564925231104]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/832356564925231104[/video]

I have a 10:30 EST eye check up appt. I will be here for sure for sentencing and the impact statements at noon my time. With my Kleenex box.

BBM

I wonder if it could have something to do with his past history with drugs. Medication for ADHD is often abused by people who don't need it, and it seems pretty easy to sell (to university students, for example). Maybe his psychiatrist felt more comfortable closely monitoring him, to try to limit the likelihood this was happening (assuming he was actually taking medication for it that is).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got the real sense that Garlands mother and sister knew something was wrong, something beyond general concern but not knowing exactly what. It was remarkable how they assisted LE. It's far more common for family members to protect their own and not become involved by denial that the accused would do anything so unthinkable.

Although we don't know what past events might of occurred, I think it's highly likely that Garland attended weekly psychiatric sessions as a mutually-agreed upon arrangement, a condition of continuing to live at his parents home.

As long as he attended the sessions, his family could assume everything was okay. I think that assumption would be drawn by the majority of us.

Then to not cause upset in the family home is the reason he attended the appointment on June 30th in the middle of his capture and kill spree. Because he didn't think he'd get caught. Otherwise he could've phoned the psychiatrists office and cancelled, claiming he was sick in bed, given his inclination to lie.

Regardless, he must've hated these sessions, maybe they even fuelled his internal anger. The 1000-.yard stare, a loner, no friends is not the type of personality inclined to pour out his innermost feelings in front of a shrink. Whoever was paying for these sessions got ripped off.

All my opinion.

I have a 10:30 EST eye check up appt. I will be here for sure for sentencing and the impact statements at noon my time. With my Kleenex box.

This may well be the toughest day. I think it will be for me.

ETA: I know it will be.

Brace yourselves for a tough day at the sentencing.

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 13h13 hours ago
We expect to hear 5 victim impact statements during #Garland sentencing tomorrow

OMG this is going to be so emotional.

What does everyone think judge Gates is going to do regarding sentencing? I feel as though he may do 50 years consecutive one for Alvin and Kathy and a separate one for Nathan. I feel as though he will want to do 75 years consecutive but to avoid appeals may just go with 25 years.

I hope the Judge throws the book at him. It is a just sentence. Let them appeal away. IMO

660 NEWS Calgary
@660NEWS
Criminologist: #Garland judge has tough decision when it comes to parole eligibility http://www.660news.com/2017/02/16/criminologist-garland-judge-likely-leafing-law-books/ … #yyc #yyccrime

He certainly does. Because as much as we'd like to believe Garland will be aptly punished by serving his time in jail, like Otto says, the mandate of our Canadian system is indeed rehabilitation. Totally different than in the U.S. Why something such as this is so misunderstood and changing it is never a major election issue is a total mystery to me,

I don't want the focus for DG to be rehabilitation. He planned the murder and torture of 2 people and also killed a 5 year old child. He then dismembered and burned their bodies. He's a psychopath. I want him locked up for the rest of his life. If that means setting his parole date well past his natural life then so be it.

Even if his sentence comes with a parole date while he is living he will never see the light of day. Anymore than Bernardo and others like him. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3