Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
660 NEWS Calgary
@660NEWS
Criminologist: #Garland judge has tough decision when it comes to parole eligibility http://www.660news.com/2017/02/16/criminologist-garland-judge-likely-leafing-law-books/ … #yyc #yyccrime

He certainly does. Because as much as we'd like to believe Garland will be aptly punished by serving his time in jail, like Otto says, the mandate of our Canadian system is indeed rehabilitation. Totally different than in the U.S. Why something such as this is so misunderstood and changing it is never a major election issue is a total mystery to me,

Even if the judge stays with the concurrent sentencing this guy is never walking free again. No one is going to parole him in 25 years. It would just be nice for the families if they didn't have to go to a parole hearing because he died before he became eligible.

So many Lurkers coming out of lurking!!! I love that people felt moved to join us for the end - please stay with us - there is no online place quite like this place.

Welcome LuvLabs! (I'm sorry if I missed you yesterday! Very focused day it was; in fact I'm not even sure if I already welcomed you!)

:welcome6:

You are always on top of welcoming newbies, JadeSL! I was so engrossed in this trial, I neglected to do so between tweet-reading and feeling gobsmacked. I will add my greeting here and agree that this forum is the best place for following our cases, getting factual info, and sharing our ups and downs. Sometimes peeps complain about feeling too moderated, but that honestly is what keeps us on-track and at the top. A mods job is indeed difficult one, and ours do a darned good job.

So thank you Mods, and :Welcome1: to all the great new members. C'mon back.

This may well be the toughest day. I think it will be for me.

ETA: I know it will be.
You know what upsets me the most though? That will just be sitting there with zero emotion but enjoying the pain he's caused.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I cant even imagine what life was like living with this killer for his Parents and Sibs. I am sure there is much we don't know and likely will never know. IMO

You know what upsets me the most though? That will just be sitting there with zero emotion but enjoying the pain he's caused.

I was just thinking the same thing. Although I do think it will annoy and irritate him to have to listen to the emotional statements. He seems like the type of person who would be irritated by others emotions because he is so void of those emotions himself. Would that be a characteristic of a psychopath?

Even if the judge stays with the concurrent sentencing this guy is never walking free again. No one is going to parole him in 25 years. It would just be nice for the families if they didn't have to go to a parole hearing because he died before he became eligible.

From personal experience, I don't think victims are able to let go of the pain in any way until the cause is eliminated (dies). Even then, it remains, but is somewhat more bearable. So having to go through appeals is always a visual reminder of this horrible crime and what their loved ones may have endured, how they felt throughout the arrest and trial times. I wish this family did not have those appeals to deal with, ever. Unfortunately, If I were them I would have to be there to make sure he stayed where he is. But the constant reopening of the wounds would feel just as unbearable as they are today.

I still ache so much for the burden they carry and the loss they have had to experience in such a cruel manner. :tears:

I don't want the focus for DG to be rehabilitation. He planned the murder and torture of 2 people and also killed a 5 year old child. He then dismembered and burned their bodies. He's a psychopath. I want him locked up for the rest of his life. If that means setting his parole date well past his natural life then so be it.

Either do I. I don't think any 1st Degree murderer deserves to be rehabilitated and that punishment should serve as a deterrent. But that's not the way it is.
If we were ever asked to vote on it, the death penalty probably wouldn't have been abolished either.

But especially given a possible mental illness aspect, if he's only sentenced to 25 years prior to parole, or wins that by appeal, it's what it is.

Are there people here who seriously care about rehabilitation of DG??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there people here who seriously care about rehabilitation of DG??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously the Government of Canada does because that's their mandate regarding offenders,

If any of you know someone who works in a Federal Prison, its a real eye opener. Methadone, education, food, recreation, it's not like in the movies:-(

It also not beyond the realm of possibility that some crimes are committed because jail is a comfortable option. Terrible.

Therefore the point I was trying to make was we don't make laws for offenders, offenders are sentenced according to our laws. If the judge doesn't sentence Garland to 75 years or if that were to get successfully appealed, it's our laws that need to be fixed.

Anyone interested can look through MG's Twitter for Q&A from last night.

[video=twitter;832613615261741056]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/832613615261741056[/video]

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 3m3 minutes ago
Today: Douglas #Garland sentencing will hear victim impact statements from five Liknes/O'Brien family members

"If the judge agrees, it would mean Garland would be tied with Justin Bourque for getting the stiffest sentence in Canada since the death penalty was abolished. Bourque pleaded guilty to three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of three Mounties and the attempted murder of two other RCMP officers in Moncton, N.B., in 2014.
Garland will also be given the opportunity to speak at the sentencing hearing."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ial-sentencing-nathan-obrien-liknes-1.3987218

[video=twitter;832614011531202560]https://twitter.com/CBCMeg/status/832614011531202560[/video]

Finally all caught up after the verdict! (I was late to a meeting yesterday so I could see the results live ;) I couldn't miss it! ) This was the case that brought me Websleuths and I have to say that the community here is amazing. Every single one of you help make this a wonderful place to come to help others, and each other. I just have to say thank you to everyone that works so hard to keep everyone updated and give insight to the goings on. I have mostly been a lurker but I'm starting to come out of the shadows!

Hopefully the judge will throw the book at Garland and justice will be served. Calgary will never forget Alvin, Kathy & Nathan. This hasn't been easy and I think today may (ok, WILL) be the hardest with the Victim Impact Statements. I'm sending all the positivity I have to everyone reading them today, and everyone here. :grouphug:

R.I.P Alvin, Kathy & Nathan, fly high Superman :angel2:

If any of you know someone who works in a Federal Prison, its a real eye opener. Methadone, education, food, recreation, it's not like in the movies:-(

It also not beyond the realm of possibility that some crimes are committed because jail is a comfortable option. Terrible.

Therefore the point I was trying to make was we don't make laws for offenders, offenders are sentenced according to our laws. If the judge doesn't sentence Garland to 75 years or if that were to get successfully appealed, it's our laws that need to be fixed.
I wish prison still meant hard labour. I think DG will be quite happy in prison, likely happier than he was in the real world. He likely won't even have to work since he'll be segregated.

Hey Spelly. IMO he will be segregated just as Bernardo, Williams and others are. I had a chance to talk with 2 folk who did a tour thru Kingston Pen. before it closed. They got to see Bernardo in his digs. Both stated he looks like a caged animal. He became quite agitated at the stare and turned away. Makes me happy. I agree this killer will adapt to his new digs. Most psychopaths do.

IMO
I agree and think he will be segregated. In the US I noticed that some of the prisons like to group the more severe murderers together in a certain prison block and sometimes they each have their own cell. I believe they have different levels and earn on good behavior how much interaction with other inmates in their block they can have.

I believe JA in AZ is like this. Saw some discussions where she may someday be able to associate with other prisoners in her block like yard time. At first they definitely kept her isolated in her own cell but she had cells nearby with other similar really bad murderers.

The US prisons seem to be really big on grouping and classifying prisoners in groups according to how well they get along with others or their security risk.

My guess is DG will be isolated in his own cell for a period of assessment time. He may have other prisoners closeby in their own cell but not sure if he will be able to hear them at first. Sometimes the walls are so thick that even if next door they cant hear other inmates.

JA was able to communicate with her neighbor through a VENT. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member