Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I could be reading way too much into this but I remember reading that he was being held in Calgary until they determined if they were going to file an appeal. Does it mean that now that he is in Edmonton that he is not filing an appeal or how does that work?

I could be reading way too much into this but I remember reading that he was being held in Calgary until they determined if they were going to file an appeal. Does it mean that now that he is in Edmonton that he is not filing an appeal or how does that work?

I wondered the same thing.

I do not think it necessarily means that he will not file an appeal. Maybe he decided to appeal and his lawyers are getting the material ready to file.

Looks like the is getting a wee taste of his own medicine. His attacker(s) know how to do it, beat him enough so he suffers, leave him alive for more vigilante justice. Perhaps the initiated these attacks hoping to get a ticket to segregation where he won't have to look over his shoulder every second of the day or maybe he has a death wish. I'm glad we're being kept in the loop on how the is making out in his new residence.

What I find interesting is why is he not in segregation like other notorious Canadian murderers? I thought it was mandatory as these monsters are marked for being attacked. Is it their choice where they want to be housed? One would think being the loner type that this monster is he would probably prefer segregation. Somehow I don't think this will be the last of these beatings. JMO.

Who could have imagined a day when upstanding citizens cheer vigilante violence delivered by sex offenders and other violent criminals? What's wrong with this picture? Is it upstanding citizens who are cheering violence in criminals, or is it other criminals? Is there a complete inability to understand the consequences of encouraging violent criminals to be violent? Something is clearly sideways when criminals are praised and encouraged to participate in criminal activities.

Who could have imagined a day when upstanding citizens cheer vigilante violence delivered by sex offenders and other violent criminals? What's wrong with this picture? Is it upstanding citizens who are cheering violence in criminals, or is it other criminals? Is there a complete inability to understand the consequences of encouraging violent criminals to be violent? Something is clearly sideways when criminals are praised and encouraged to participate in criminal activities.

No, we are not criminals. Who could've imagined a day? Taking some satisfaction in knowing a child torturing, child murderer is being roughed up while in prison is hardly a new phenomenon. It's human nature and those sentiments have been around for a lot longer than you or I.

I also think that most people are aware that in jail those who kill children will suffer pay back. I think it is part of the you do the crime you do the time. Not saving that I would beat him myself but I do think he has it coming.
No, we are not criminals. Who could've imagined a day? Taking some satisfaction in knowing a child torturing, child murderer is being roughed up while in prison is hardly a new phenomenon. It's human nature and those sentiments have been around for a lot longer than you or I.

Have any other scum bags been beaten like this?
Was Bernardo ever beaten up? I don't recall hearing. Tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently we are supposed to wish him only the best, as we are better than that. We are supposed to respect his life and comfort, and keep him safe. Even though he deserves none of that.<modsnip> JMO

Have any other scum bags been beaten like this?
Was Bernardo ever beaten up? I don't recall hearing. Tia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Bernardo has been attacked and harassed at the prison. He was punched in the face by another inmate while returning from a shower in 1996. In June 1999, five convicts tried to storm the segregation range where he lives and a riot squad had to use gas to disperse them."

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada..._grim_existence_in_kingston_penitentiary.html

<modsnip>I have really mixed feelings, I have to admit there is a part of me that said "YES" when this happened. I don't care at all about Garland yet at the same time I would hate to see a system where violence against prisoners is a daily occurance and accepted as status quo. I don't think people felt a rush of satisfaction when they heard the news are twisted, it's primal. You can't tell me that there isn't some part of even RO who would have loved to see DG ripped limb from limb. It reflects how our society abhors people like DG, not that people are twisted.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Convicted triple-murderer Douglas Garland is back in hospital after suffering a second beating, this time in prison, sources say. The president of the Calgary-based Criminal Defence Lawyers Association is calling for the public release of investigations into the attacks.
“The Calgary Remand Centre is staffed by provincially regulated correctional officers, the Edmonton Institution is staffed by federally regulated institution officers, but the general concern is the same,” Ian Savage told Global News.

RELATED

“Inmates that have a huge notoriety in the public and in the institutions–correctional officers and their superiors are responsible for the safety of those individuals, no matter how heinous their crimes.”
Global News has learned Garland was attacked at the Edmonton Institution, a maximum security prison, on Monday night.
Sources confirm he was found breathing but unresponsive in his cell at approximately 9 p.m.
Alberta Health Services public education officer Alex Campbell said an ambulance from Fort Saskatchewan was called to the Edmonton Institution at 9:40 p.m. Monday night to transport a male patient who was in stable condition to hospital.
READ MORE: Douglas Garland rushed to hospital after jailhouse beating: sources
Garland had just been transferred to Edmonton Max from the Calgary Remand Centre that morning.
The Correctional Service of Canada (CSC) and the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) are investigating the incident. The CSC referred to the beating as an inmate “assault” without naming Garland in a statement sent Tuesday afternoon.
Garland received an automatic life sentence in February after a jury convicted him of three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathy Liknes.
Justice David Gates found Garland had captured, restrained, tortured, killed, dismembered and burned the bodies of Nathan, Alvin and Kathy.
READ MORE: Douglas Garland: Lawyer condemns those who cheered after jailhouse beating
Gates handed down consecutive periods of parole ineligibility for the maximum of 75 years.
The same day he was sentenced, Garland was attacked at the Calgary Remand Centre and rushed to hospital.
He suffered soft tissue injuries and was returned to the provincial jail two days later.
Four fellow inmates were charged with aggravated assault.
Brandon Richards, 34, Michael Bohdan, 30, Connor Skipper, 20, and Tristan Thom, 18.
READ MORE: 4 inmates charged in jailhouse beating of triple-murderer Douglas Garland
Savage said despite social media posts that seem to celebrate the jailhouse beatings, there are reasons to champion safety for inmates in a civilized society.
“That’s why we imprison people in the first place; to separate them from society and to punish them for their actions and in some instances to rehabilitate,” Savage said, noting Garland will likely remain imprisoned until the end of his life. “But that doesn’t mean we sanction the murder or assault of inmates in our jails. It’s completely unacceptable.”
Savage called for a “prompt public release” of investigations into both the Calgary and Edmonton beatings.
Garland remains in hospital in Edmonton. No word yet on his injuries.

We did manage to ban rooster fights. 2 beatings in 3 weeks seems a little much..Is DG a political football ? Is it that difficult to put him in isolation.. odd.

The beatings, bothers me in the sense that he puts Garland in the news again rather than obscurity where he belongs..

<modsnip>

Well I hope we do not hear from him twice a month.. This might cost a lot more. I would rather if DG did not file for brutality while in prison..

Well I hope we do not hear from him twice a month.. This might cost a lot more. I would rather if DG did not file for brutality while in prison..
From what I've read, administrative segregation in Canada is more about protecting other prisoners from a dangerous prisoner - not so much protective custody. PC certainly does exist (I think it's still called Admin. seg.). But, to my surprise, it's not an automatic thing for high profile offenders. There are other murderers in the general population too. I would've thought a guy like Garland would've gone straight to PC - but obviously that's not the case.

I'd be really surprised if this happens again - but then I was surprised the first 2 times it happened. Perhaps the resources to house a murderer in his own comfy, secluded, protected little area of the prison just isn't something they immediately have the resources for? I just don't know.

From what I've read, administrative segregation in Canada is more about protecting other prisoners from a dangerous prisoner - not so much protective custody. PC certainly does exist (I think it's still called Admin. seg.). But, to my surprise, it's not an automatic thing for high profile offenders. There are other murderers in the general population too. I would've thought a guy like Garland would've gone straight to PC - but obviously that's not the case.

I'd be really surprised if this happens again - but then I was surprised the first 2 times it happened. Perhaps the resources to house a murderer in his own comfy, secluded, protected little area of the prison just isn't something they immediately have the resources for? I just don't know.

It is kind of bizarre too that he only got a beating and nothing more serious... It's almost as if it was supervised.. It's hard to speculate because the infos are so light. It is very possible that there is not enough of anything there.. for the guards and inmates.. Maybe he has a room mate.. The other guy can't get to sleep when he knows that DG is on the top bunk. I know I would freak out..

It is kind of bizarre too that he only got a beating and nothing more serious... It's almost as if it was supervise.. It's hard to speculate because the infos are so light. It is very possible that there is not enough of anything there.. for the guards and inmates.. Maybe he has a room mate.. The other guy can't get to sleep when he knows that DG is on the top bunk. I know I would freak out..
I think him beaten without being killed more signifies that the beatings were broken up before more harm was done

I think him beaten without being killed more signifies that the beatings were broken up before more harm was done

True but he was found unconscious, maybe whoever did the beating did not want a longer sentence..I'm not sure how much would be tacked on for a beating. Maybe not that much, the courts in AB are slow ..

So many different possibilities. A cell mate, several guys, a blind eye turned, a legit lack of resources. Re: him not being killed - I don't think it's like in the movies where a guy is just beaten to death like that. Killing a grown man with your bare hands...not that easy.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubbajax