Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
<modsnip>
I have read that in some places, like Peru, it's normal for prisoners to attack and even murder each other, but that is not how it works in Canada. Vigilante justice is not anything I would like to encourage, regardless of what the victim did.

Calgary Herald &#8207;@calgaryherald 11m11 minutes ago
Sources say convicted triple murderer Douglas Garland was assaulted by several inmates last night. #yyc http://ow.ly/Ekbg3098juR

I've been following this heart wrenching case since day one. Such a great community and platform for sleuthers to share thoughts.
I would not put it past DG to bring on the beating so he was moved of out of remand. Even a night or two in hospital is a treat if you're an inmate.
Just a thought...

It's a conundrum to me. If police or a citizen were on the scene when Nathan was beaten, the officer or citizen could kill him to stop him. Now that he has been found guilty, he is "safe" in custody. Death is reasonable force at the time of this crime. Yet no death penalty in Canada.

"Prison justice" is swift! What goes around comes around, karma and all that! I am surprised he was in an area with other inmates. I know nothing about prison, but it seems if 4 people attack someone they could have killed him if they wanted to. Based on the articles he sustained only minor injuries so maybe this was kind of a warning.

I've been following this heart wrenching case since day one. Such a great community and platform for sleuthers to share thoughts.
I would not put it past DG to bring on the beating so he was moved of out of remand. Even a night or two in hospital is a treat if you're an inmate.
Just a thought...

Hi kiki09! Welcome :)
While I don't think he did that last night, I bet he does it in the future now that he's learned!
Thanks for posting, please stay with us.

:welcome:

Just a thought...

Hasn't he escaped from protective custody before? Maybe he wanted to escape and egged on a beating?

<modsnip>

I also take issue with the Judge parsing out each of the murders into separate events so he could order consecutive sentencing. It strikes me as an emotional reaction rather than a logical one. Sentencing like this sets a dangerous precedent that I would not like to see in place. For example, Matthew de Groot murdered five people at a party. It could be argued that he murdered each one for a different reason, and therefore he should have five life sentences. The criminal justice system in Canada is premised on rehabilitation, not punishment, yet Gates has crossed the line to ordering punitive sentences.

The jail is full of people who are either charged with, or guilty of, criminal offences. They are 'evil', to use Justice Gates' word. For any of those convicted criminals to think that their violence is a notch above someone else's violence seems like wrong thinking.

I'm curious if now, with the trial over, his sick self-serving obsessive mind has moved on to how he can manipulate and take advantage of the prison system.

"Sources say the 57-year-old was in a common area of the provincial jail when he was attacked from behind by four inmates. He received multiple blows to the head and midsection.
Garland remained in hospital Saturday under observation and is receiving further tests.
Sources confirm the incident was captured on CCTV at the Remand Centre."

Yes, and with a new head injury, what does that mean for his long term care and incarceration? It opens doors and opportunities for Garland that were not in place prior to the attack.

I'm curious if now, with the trial over, his sick self-serving obsessive mind has moved on to how he can manipulate and take advantage of the prison system.

I hadn't even thought of this. OF COURSE he will do that!

Garland was beat up by four inmates at Calgary remand centre last night. Taken to hospital at 11 pm

http://globalnews.ca/news/3258571/d...after-jailhouse-beating-sources/?sf57154589=1

Oh sorry. I'm a beginner. I see you all know this already.

&#8220;It is alleged several men assaulted a 57-year-old man causing serious injuries,&#8221; said Sgt. Paul Cuthill.

Police did not confirm the identity of the victim, but sources tell Postmedia the man assaulted was Garland, who was sentenced on Friday for the murders of Alvin and Kathy Liknes and their five-year-old grandson Nathan O&#8217;Brien."

<modsnip>

Just a thought...

I was thinking the same thing. I hope he's well guarded. I could see him attempt an escape. What does he have to lose? MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Prison justice" is swift! What goes around comes around, karma and all that! I am surprised he was in an area with other inmates. I know nothing about prison, but it seems if 4 people attack someone they could have killed him if they wanted to. Based on the articles he sustained only minor injuries so maybe this was kind of a warning.

I think this is how it's portrayed in the movies but it's not reality. There are CCTV cameras everywhere and guards are responsible for the safety of prisoners. Laws are the same inside as out, a prisoner can be charged with assault or parole denied.

IMO it's a sick society where those who are at their lowest point are expected to apply justice or that in doing so, represent who is our heroes.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back