Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
We should not become like the people who need to be isolated from society.

Locked up, yes, like animals, no. Protect the public, but keep prisoners safe, engaged, productive, and comfortable. Treating the most unfortunate (such as those with wasted lives) with respect promotes a more respectful environment for them.
Otto, is that something like those who need love the most ask for it in the most unloving ways? Lol, couldn't resist... try to remember that with my teenagers [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

There was going to be appeal attemps no matter what. There almost always is with 1st degree murder convictions. I mean why wouldn't they at least try? Gives them something to do. Doesn't mean it will go anywhere. It's a sad reality for the families of murder victims. It never truly ends.

Who actually pays for these appeal attempts?? I cannot imagine that Kim Ross would do this pro bono. Is there a money tree somewhere?

My question, "if" DG has assigned counsel is there a limit to how much will ne paid on his behalf?

That's an interesting question. I don't think it was the case with DG's defence, though.

I am curious to see if they continue to represent him. I respect the arduous task they were hired to do, however appalled I was by many of their actions - particularly the day of sentencing. I don't doubt for a moment the impact and toll this has had on them as well. They had to see and hear the same evidence AND try to defend a blatantly guilty, repulsive, diabolical sociopath.
Based on their statements following sentencing about the outcome not being unexpected and the vagueness surrounding an appeal, I suspect they are don't with him.

This has concerned me also. The lack of a search warrant allowed LE to search and find missing people who were in danger. It didn't allow (per the defense) searching into small spaces where a human couldn't be found (eg where the computer hard drive was hidden in the ceiling). The relevance of the circumstantial evidence in the hard drive was a major factor in determining the consecutive sentence IMO.

The hard drive wasn't located during the initial search without warrant. CPS later invited Border Security who used specialized equipment. During the initial search for live bodies the dufflel bag was noted and one other piece of evidence. Anyone recall what the second item was?

The hard drive wasn't located until the warrant was in place

I tried to find the defense objection re the first search without a warrant. My computer is on it's last legs and freezes constantly. So I am going by memory and can't provide links on this. I'll have to trust your recall.

Just saw Misty's post. OK..good to know there is no concern there.

The hard drive wasn't located during the initial search without warrant. CPS later invited Border Security who used specialized equipment. During the initial search for live bodies the dufflel bag was noted and one other piece of evidence. Anyone recall what the second item was?

Burning barrel, clean saw..

The runners he was wearing when arrested

I see , so he had 2 pairs then?. Because I thought he hard burned the one from the Liknes"s house. So much to remember and piece together.

I see , so he had 2 pairs then?. Because I thought he hard burned the one from the Liknes"s house. So much to remember and piece together.
Yes and these had AL's dna on the tongue

Otto, is that something like those who need love the most ask for it in the most unloving ways? Lol, couldn't resist... try to remember that with my teenagers [emoji6]

I don't know if I'd go that far. Garland is really messed up, he's capable of unspeakable acts, and he is a wasted life. He will not feel anything good for the rest of his life until dementia settles in, when he can lose himself in distorted visions of early childhood fears.

At the same time, we should do what we can to ensure that those people live comfortably (and I don't mean internet privileges) feeling engaged and productive. That is so much better than four thu-gs attacking from behind and targeting the head and mid-section of the body for kicks.

The runners he was wearing when arrested

But if he was wearing the runners when he was arrested, could've they been found at the acreage? Iirc he was arrested immediately prior to LE's search.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Garland is really messed up, he's capable of unspeakable acts, and he is a wasted life. He will not feel anything good for the rest of his life until dementia settles in, when he can lose himself in distorted visions of early childhood fears.

At the same time, we should do what we can to ensure that those people live comfortably (and I don't mean internet privileges) feeling engaged and productive. That is so much better than four thu-gs attacking from behind and targeting the head and mid-section of the body for kicks.

I can see your point. He committed the unspeakable out of vengeance. So then society seeks vengeance by cheering on four ****s. Either acting out of vengeance is a crime or it's a right but it can't be both.

I'm confused about that too

The tweets were coming so fast. The most I got out of it was the defence claimed if those 1st two items hadn't been ceased w/o a warrant, then there wouldn't have been cause for the warrant that was granted later. But the truck had already been identified so surely that would have been grounds for the warrant regardless.

He probably won't even succumb to dementia, my grandfather was sharp as a tack when he died at 94

I can see your point. He committed the unspeakable out of vengeance. So then society seeks vengeance by cheering on four ****s. Either acting out of vengeance is a crime or it's a right but it can't be both.

It's not a right to interfere with the autonomy of others, such as murder, and society has the right to isolate him from society. It is not a right to be cruel to people who are isolated from society and unable to take action to avoid cruelty.

The tweets were coming so fast. The most I got out of it was the defence claimed if those 1st two items hadn't been ceased w/o a warrant, then there wouldn't have been cause for the warrant that was granted later. But the truck had already been identified so surely that would have been grounds for the warrant regardless.

I think they could have seized the truck, and we know that the truck led to Kathy Liknes' blood somewhere near the licence plate. It would be the same result, but Garland would have had a lot more time to get rid of evidence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back