Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true.
They need passports. My boss and his kids are traveling to the States this summer, and they need passports. Both kids are under 16.

If the L's and N are not intending to leave Canada, then none of them will need passports. They'll just need birth certificates. I also find it difficult for them to leave the country with N. He is not a biological child. He's a grandchild and he doesn't share the same last name as the L's. In order for the L's (or anyone) to take N across the border, they would need a notarized letter and permission from N's parents.

But this is all assuming N was taken by his grandparents with the intent of crossing the border.

Absolutely incorrect. If you are flying to the U.S., then yes you need a passport but border crossings by boat or car, a birth certificate is enough. The adults need their Nexus or Passport. We have a friend that travels to the U.S. all the time (I live on a border city) for hockey tournaments. They bring their grandson to tournaments all the time. They have not applied for a passport because both parents have criminal records and they fear he will be denied. He travels on birth certificate with a letter from parents all the time. All the time.

I could very well be wrong, but I assume the Edmonton housing market would be cheaper than Calgary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you may be right but not sure how much since everywhere in AB is so expensive. We live just outside AIRDRIE although we don't own our rent is $1750. Houses starting in $450,000.00

Absolutely incorrect. If you are flying to the U.S., then yes you need a passport but border crossings by boat or car, a birth certificate is enough. The adults need their Nexus or Passport. We have a friend that travels to the U.S. all the time (I live on a border city) for hockey tournaments. They bring their grandson to tournaments all the time. They have not applied for a passport because both parents have criminal records and they fear he will be denied. He travels on birth certificate with a letter from parents all the time. All the time.

Correct. But, you don't need nothing if a child is hidden in a car/boat. JMO

I live on the Canada USA border. I travel to the US on a daily basis with my kids. Adults are required to produce a valid passport, OR Nexxus card, OR a special kind of DL. Children are only required to produce a birth certificate.

Re: Notarized letter - the US border MAY or MAY NOT ask for such a thing. My children do not share my last name and I have been asked for it twice in 7 years.

ETA-this is assuming travel by car. To travel by air children need a passport.

Agreed. I travel all the time and have never been asked for a letter. My parents and sister take my kids all the time and have never been asked for a letter. We stopped writing it. They can call me if they need it.

Can we post theories on this thread?

I think several of us have, sometimes in a roundabout way. I would love to hear yours. The more ideas, the better. We just have to be mindful of TOS.

More and more guests. I see 82 right now. That's never made me nervous before but it feels funny to me with this one.

Do we have anywhere downstairs to discuss Nathan?

I just have a weird feeling about the statement "less of a mystery".

If the LE people have figured out why and how the three were abducted, that would be "less of a mystery" all right, but the potential for a horrible tragedy would remain undiminished.

I think using that expression is not a cause for relief, but only reflects professional objectivity. Frankly I think using that phrase strikes me as callous.

"It's not a mystery now. Move along. Nothing more to see." And yes, that will make a lot of people shrug and say - ho-hum. The police are 'moving forward'.

To me, red hot urgency should be maintained in every public venue.

Could you elaborate on the "less of a mystery"? Guess I'm out of the loop. :blushing:

IMO, if children are travelling with someone other than their biological parents, they need paperwork to cross over.

I wonder if there are any life insurance policies on any of the 3 missing?

For what it's worth - my parents are downsizing. My mom wants to sell everything they have and get new modern smaller furniture. More like a fresh start.

Lots of middle aged folks sell their home and downsize, opting to live in a smaller condo for the benefits of no exterior upkeep/lawn care/snow shoveling etc........and many condos are rather compact and previous full-sized furniture no longer really fits well........or is somewhat 'dated' for the more modern finishings in a new condo.

That being said.........most people, IMO, would keep some things.......kitchen appliances (coffee maker, blender, pots/pans, etc).........they don't get rid of EVVVVVVERYTHING as it seemed from the Kijiji posts was the case here.

Gotta say though, at the presser before today's, AL and KL's son Jeff seemed a little............?unsure about his parents' future residence plans. Maybe just nervous but he seemed to be ?struggling to answer the questions about them moving to Edmonton/having already bought a home in Edmonton, how long they'd be in Mazatlan/just a vacation or buying a vacation property there etc.

Also..........he didn't look that old. Pics in KL's FB show 2 sons. Where do they live?

On KL's FB, under "recent activity" it says KL is now friends with (says person's name) and 8 other people.

Included in that 8 other people are the names of two moving companies and (I think) a junk removal company.

Date on "recent activity" is June 30th.

BBM - for air travel yes, passports are required to enter the US. However for land crossings, you do not require a passport.

You're correct.

Travel by air into the USA: Canadian citizens of any age must have a Canadian Passport or a Nexus card.

Travel by land or sea into the USA: Canadian adult citizens must present one of: a Canadian Passport; NEXUS/FAST card; Enhanced Driver's License/ID (EDL) [BC, MB, ON, QC]. A Secure Certificate of Indian Status may also be used but is subject to U.S. gov. approval.

For children with Canadian citizenship, must present one of: one of the documents used by adult;, a Canadian birth certificate (original, photocopy, or certified copy)--photo ID not required; Certificate of Canadian Citizenship.

In addition, when a child is not traveling with both parents, the parent with the child should have a note from the other parent. If neither parent is there, the responsible adults should have a note signed by both parents.

"I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so."

CBP suggest the note should be notarized.

If there is no other adult that has claim as a second parent, the single parent traveling with the child should have documentation: court decision, birth certificate with only one named parent, death certificate, etc. While US BP may not ask for it, but if they do, and there is no documentation, they may detain you until they can verify you have a right to travel with the child.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g191-s602/United-States:Crossing.The.Border.html
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268

Has anyone ever heard what kind of lawyer is moving into this house?

Here are my thoughts... the house was sold months ago, the couple then leased the house from the new owners from what I gathered somewhere in these comments (correct me if I am incorrect).

Is it at all possible a client thought that the new homeowners were living there already?

Yes, a complete stretch.

Here is my other thought. I saw that these three were missing days ago now. I then , on the same day saw the spammy article that stated they were found come across my FB feed. Is there someone trying to throw off the investigation with this spam?

I also would like to hear it from the family where they actually thought these people were moving and what their moving date was. Everyone has a plan. The fact that there is no plan and no one seems to have concrete evidence of one throws a large amount of shade on this case. I don't want to believe that the grandparents have anything to do with this but there is not a lot that is leading us to believe at this time that they are completely upstanding citizens.

There is just something very wrong with this story.

On KL's FB, under "recent activity" it says KL is now friends with (says person's name) and 8 other people.

Included in that 8 other people are the names of two moving companies and (I think) a junk removal company.

Where do you go on someone's FB profile to look at 'recent activity'? thx

Correct. And the father addresses the camera. The mother closes her eyes and looks up when addressing Nathan. She wants him to hear her voice. If he's watching TV her could see her in addition to hear her.

Could she think that Nathan would be blindfolded so he wouldn't see the kidnappers?

Sorry for the double post but I also for some reason , in my head see a likeness here to the TB investigation.

I believe that the authorities know far more about what is going on then what is being reported.

Did you notice that the moving companies & junk removal seem to be in Texas, Florida and United Kingdom? A tad strange for someone who lives in Alberta...

Did you notice that the moving companies & junk removal seem to be in Texas, Florida and United Kingdom? A tad strange for someone who lives in Alberta...

Weird. Could she have done websites for these companies?

Where do you go on someone's FB profile to look at 'recent activity'? thx

It was on the left hand side of the FB page. IIRC, it was near the bottom of the page.

I wonder if the FB date is accurate on "recent activity"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shablee