Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jmo I think there has been contact with the perps. I think a ransom has been asked for or offered. Just my feeling from the way things were worded at the press conference.

I'm heading out of Calgary today, west on Hwy. 1 to Banff. We passed the Amber Alert on the emergency highway sign and I started to weep. J and R just need to know what has happened to their son. 3 days now and this limbo must be unbearable.

Hmmm I for some reason don't think they crossed the border. I just hope they are alive and well somewhere :) This is a very mysterious case tho JMO Hope they are found soon :)

Agree

Jmo I think there has been contact with the perps. I think a ransom has been asked for or offered. Just my feeling from the way things were worded at the press conference.

I could see that, well I didn't watch the press conference. But a ransom would make the most sense out of anything.

I hope they are found soon!!!

JMO about the press conference with the parents. When Jennifer and Rod first walked out I thought that it might have been Nathan's dad with Nathan's aunt. She seemed so strong and supportive and wasn't showing as much as emotion as dad. But then she introduced herself as Jennifer, Nathan's mom. My thoughts are she is a very strong woman and wanted to try to keep as composed as possible since she was going to speak to Nathan directly. If he was able to see the broadcast she didn't want to scare Nathan further by being hysterical. (I guess I would liken her to how strong and classy Jackie Kennedy Onassis was after the assassination of President Kennedy.) I may be wrong but that is how I interpreted it. Heartbreaking. :(

That would be the best scenario as it would mean all 3 are alive.

I got that as well.

The house was sold in December 2013 to a lawyer and his wife. They were briefly on a video clip the day that the abduction was discovered and he quoted his wife as asking whether they wanted to move into this house. The house was sold and leased back. Earlier reports said that the family was moving out at the end of the month. If the sale was on June 28, 29, then end of the month and end of the lease probably meant midnight on July 1.

I think the house was bought by the lawyer because he intended to move into "Parkhill" with his family. It looks like a bit of an exclusive neighbourhood for lawyers, politicians, and medical examiners.

The house was sold for $703k in December. Realtors know that December is a slow month and April sales/prices go up. If this family didn't want to leave until July, why didn't they wait until July to sell and ride the annual real estate soaring prices? In the six months, they could have earned an extra $100k because they had a 50 foot lot. Developers want those lots to split and sell each for $800k, doubling their money. There's something unusual about this sale. Was a creditor pursuing on of the grandparents?

They sold the house in Calgary in Dec 2013 for a lowball price. They had owned the house for 17 years and still tripled their money. They bought a house in Edmonton (much cheaper). Alvin has a twin brother, an identical twin, that lives in Mazatlan, Mexico. It sounds like Alvin told people that they were moving North to Edmonton and Kathryn told people they had bought property (condo) in Mexico. In fact, they were going to live in Edmonton and hoped to visit Alvin's twin brother Allen in Mazatlan in about three months for an unspecified length of time. Parkhill, Calgary versus Edmonton? Isn't it no brainer ... Parkhill is nicer than every part of Edmonton?

Why did they sell short to leave Calgary ... liquidate ... after a six month lease on the house they sold (which would be worth an extra 100k six months later). Did they want to make sure that nothing was in their names? Were they leaving town because it was dangerous? What was behind all the facades of oil, gas, mining, web, looking to purchase property, and marketing companies? Was anyone taken advantage of ... as in revenge?

Just catching up, just wanted to address this before I forget it.

Maybe they were selling below what they could ve gotten because they owed money to the buyer from another business deal? Just speculating.

My opine of Jennifer at the presser was she looked shell shocked. I think she was just being strong as her husband was breaking down.

I get this feeling too. Things have been planned and carefully worded so as to not spook someone.

However, I feel like someone has done something they regret. If there has been contact or a ransom demand, it's been in a panic, an afterthought. I don't think it was supposed to happen like this. I think Nathan's presence changed everything.

:scared: Kijiji connection again? I hope LE are checking if someone contacted the family via that site JMO

Just catching up, just wanted to address this before I forget it.

Maybe they were selling below what they could ve gotten because they owed money to the buyer from another business deal? Just speculating.

I also wonder if they owned the house outright or if it had been mortgaged to the hilt.

I managed to read through everything here on Nathan's and grandparents' thread and something that just "screams" hinky to me is that Calgary is only a few hours from the border, yet the Amber has been kept North of the 49th.

To me it sounds like the grandparents were setting themselves up to be snowbirds (live south for six months and return to Canada to maintain health benefits/pensions, etc.) The house they sold could have simply been bought as an investment property by the lawyer and that is why they were able to lease it back.

What brought me to read WS and subsequently post was watching the press conference with the parents. There was a lot of past-tense reference regarding Nathan. To me that rings resignation.

I feel uncomfortable pointing this out but the mother's behavior is off.
She doesn't come across as medicated (my aunt was after the accidental death of my cousin). Her demeanor isn't "dull". Her voice cracks but there are no tears. I hate to type that, but it's what struck me as a-typical. The rest of the family is spilling tears, the dad can barely keep it together. She's a rock and in one image "hiding" behind him with eyes closed. I don't understand her ability to smile in places. She's soothing and encouraging to her husband but she doesn't need consoling. There is being strong but this behavior strikes me as unexpected. She also uses the word "investigation" at the end of the video. I would expect to hear the word *search* when referring to the goings-on around her parents and Nathan. So is the family being investigated? LE doesn't seem to have branched out past the immediate surroundings. I haven't read anything saying they are working with other provinces/the US. They seem to be staying local.

I think the two bankruptcies are relevant. Were they at the same time/over the same venture? Was there an element of trust (investment) and one came out unscathed (cash out and move on,) and the other royally burned with little option but to stick with it because your family is young and you have no equity in your house? The mom says that "they would bring them down" (to Mexico). Being part of the collateral damage and then no choice but to watch the happy planning and not benefit (monetarily) from it? No cash being slid over to 'them' to help them recover? Just a nice trip down south once a year? Could there be resentment? Could that resentment fuel revenge? Was there a fight?

Interesting that the long weekend is chosen for the sale. Many off to cottage country for Canada's big weekend. Lots of strangers coming and going leaving prints and such and lots of mess and commotion. Not many paying attention to the news and such because everyone is away from the TV and radios and celebrating.

The mention of MLM throws red flags up big time. People who turn to that kind of venture are looking for immediate cash flow. Calgary is a boom/bust town, notorious for crazy real estate highs and lows. They may have just "gambled" and cashed out to take the easy route. Buy a cheaper house in another province who is doing well economically, purchase a "cheap" condo with a very affordable lifestyle down south and live 'easy'.

These are some of my thoughts and opinions of what I've read so far.

I agree, however what I have come to know within myself is that I often judge women in these situations. In another Canadian case TB, I convinced myself that SB was involved based on the way she acted o ncamera, however that was not true. There is another Canadian case, JB and in this case his wife and children acted VERY off on camera, and I judged her, but to this date, there has been no connection to them as suspects or anything like that.

Now the thing that strikes me about KO is that she speaks of her son in past tense, the father does not.

Hi guys; I live in Calgary, but I don't know anything about this. Scary stuff! :( I can't understand how none of the neighbours saw anything.

I KNOW the grandparents are also considered victims at this points- but honestly, the ONLY scenario that makes sense for me has one or both of them as the kidnapper. But then there's the vehicle issue..... I seriously don't know which way to go with this one, for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

What a puzzler!

I'm with u on this one.

I agree, however what I have come to know within myself is that I often judge women in these situations. In another Canadian case TB, I convinced myself that SB was involved based on the way she acted o ncamera, however that was not true. There is another Canadian case, JB and in this case his wife and children acted VERY off on camera, and I judged her, but to this date, there has been no connection to them as suspects or anything like that.

Now the thing that strikes me about KO is that she speaks of her son in past tense, the father does not.

Let's not forget about the Tori Stafford Case, how many people were sure TM was involved in little Tori's dissapearance by the way she acted at all those PC's in her front yard. I don't think there is a def way a mother would or should act in a situation like this. All women are different and handle stress differently. As for referring in past tense, maybe Mom feels it in her heart, maybe something investigators have said is leading her to refer this way. There is so much I believe LE is not releasing at this point, and I do believe they likely know much more than they are saying.

Let's not forget about the Tori Stafford Case, how many people were sure TM was involved in little Tori's dissapearance by the way she acted at all those PC's in her front yard. I don't think there is a def way a mother would or should act in a situation like this. All women are different and handle stress differently. As for referring in past tense, maybe Mom feels it in her heart, maybe something investigators have said is leading her to refer this way. There is so much I believe LE is not releasing at this point, and I do believe they likely know much more than they are saying.

I was going to mention the TS case as well. Another great example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic