Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rough transcript of report on POI by Bill McFarlane

There are several reports on this site, so here's the transcript of the first one I watched. Apparently updated at 11:32 Mountain Standard Time.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...in-case-of-missing-boy-grandparents-1.1900748
This is my transcript of the report. It's a rough draft, and any and all errors are my own.
This is not an official transcript of any of the parties involved in the report.

CTV News ChanneL: Person of Interest

Reporter: Bill McFarlane + BMc News Anchor = NA

NA Just joining us now is CTV's Bill McFarlane who's in Calgary.
Bill, what are police saying about the person being questioned here?

BMc Very little at this point. Just that he is in for questioning. We did speak though to a couple of neighbours and they say that he lives with his elderly parents who've owned this property for many years. They believe he's in his midfourties. We've got two different accounts of how he was taken into custody last night, but we heard that it was many--both accounts agree that many heavily armed officers descended on this property. Of course, given the nature of the crime, and the disappearance of these three people, they have to take every precaution.

So, we don't know very much about him other than he is a little bit removed, neighbours don't know him very well, they do know the parents. He's believed to be in his midfourties, and apparently is very intelligent.

NA Tell me about the property. They're saying they're gonna have to be there for 24 to 36 hours. How big is this property? Where is it?

BMc It's about half of a quarter section, so some of the farm people will know what that means. But it's quite a number of acres at any rate, maybe 75ish or so. We don't have that confirmed, the exact size, but it's a good sized property. You can see this long grass though here and right now, just off camera, there's about twenty R.C.M.P. officers that are going back and forth, shoulder to shoulder through this field to look for any clues at all. We've also watched them peeking inside of grain silos and pulling apart some of the outbuildings and different materials that are kind of farm stuff, looking for any sort of clues. There's also a CPS (a Calgary Police Service) forensics truck that's been on scene here all day. It's set up to process whatever they may find.

NA What do you think, Bill, this means for the investigation? I know the police aren't saying much at this time.

BMc Hmm. Yeah, they're a little bit noncommittal right now, but it does appear to be the first real big break in the case since that photo came out yesterday. But now, at least, they've got someone in custody that they're questioning. It's somebody they can talk to. They're not saying anything about whether or not he is directly involved with--or if they've got any suspicions confirmed at this point. However, they've got to take a lot of time to go through here. They've got to process all this scene. And, hopefully, come up with some answers for the family and people in the community. "Cause, I'll tell you, whenever a little boy and his grandparents go missing like this--which is virtually never--it's very upsetting to a lot of people.

NA I think over your left shoulder we're seeing a van there by the bush. Can you give us any indication of what that may be?

BMc I don't know what that particular van is, it's another police vehicle. Anything that is along that road belongs to the police. There's a lot fewer police vehicles here now than there were earlier. We counted upwards of 15, and that's what we could see clearly. There were quite a number that were parked up right in the farm yard on the property, and we couldn't really get an accurate count on them. There were a lot of those were behind trees. But, again, dozens and dozens of officers combing through scene. And appear to be very meticulous because, of course, a lot of people want to see this family get home safe.

NA Bill, thanks so much.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lues-in-missing-persons-case/article19477772/

Investigators could be seen conducting a grid search in an overgrown field Saturday. Police left at least one florescent orange flag is in the field, although Duty Inspector Matthews does not know what the flag indicates.

http://live.cbc.ca/Event/CBC_Calgary

Jen Lee
@JenLeeCBC
Another shoulder to shoulder search by police. They appear to be laying orange markers in the field. #cbc #yyc http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Br0QDDECMAAk-EQ.jpg

Those markers/flags are usually orange, not red. I have worked with them and around them many times.

Here's a rough draft of a second report from that site.

Rough draft of transcript of police statement regarding POI.
This is not an official transcript of any of the involved parties.
All errors are my own.
This is not an official transcript regarding any of the parties involved.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...in-case-of-missing-boy-grandparents-1.1900748

Duty Inspector Joel Matthews, Calgary Police Service = JM

JM: A vehicle has been located at the scene that is of a similar description to the one captured on CCTV images and released to the media on Friday, July 4th. A man from that residence has also been taken in for questioning. However, it's too early to determine if the address, vehicle, or man taken in for questioning are linked to the file.

Given the size of the property, police will likely be there for the next 24 to 36 hours.

Police were led to the property yesterday evening following a tip after the public appeal for the information related to the truck. The Amber Alert remains in effect, and police continue to appeal for any information relating to the disappearance of the family members or the location of the green F 1-50.

No further information is available at this time, but media will be informed as and when we are in a position to release details without impacting the investigation.

Reporter Sir, was there a struggle when you took the man in for questioning?

JM No.

Reporter Why is there an Amber Alert still in effect?

JM Because this is just an investigative step. Like I say, it's not something we're certain this is the fellow, we're just following up a tip. So, it may not lead where we're wanting it to lead, and this might not be related.

Reporter cross talk.

Reporter Was there any other evidence found on this property?

JM Oh, well, that's--no. I mean, there's, like I say, we're questioning the man because we're, and following the lead on the vehicle just to further the investigation, so there's, there's nothing..

Reporter There's a lot of F 1-50s out there. What is it about this particular F 1-50 and this particular property that has made such a huge police presence right now?

JM It's simply a lead that we're following up. Our investigators are gonna follow every lead that we believe that has some weight or has some information that we want to know about, so we're simply making the effort. 'Cause, like I say, due to the sensitivity of the investigation, we just want to make sure we cover everything off.

Reporter What gives this weight?

JM It's--that, I can't answer. The investigators just feel that there's the person of interest, or he's a person of interest, and we just want to follow that up.

Reporter Have you been able to confirm that this is the same truck as what was the truck that was near the home?

JM No, and that's what we're in the process of doing.

Reporter Why the grid search?

JM Again, it's one of those things where this, if this lead turns out to be something that we're very interested in, we want to make sure that we every, every avenue. And we want to cover off that ground every avenue as completely as we can.

Reporter So you've been there since six o'clock yesterday?

JM It was late last night.

Reporter You can this man a person of interest. What does that mean?

JM It's just somebody that we're interested in. It's somebody that we need to talk to.

Reporter Is he a suspect?

JM He's a person of interest. We simply need to talk to him to get some information.

Reporter Does that person have a police history?

JM He's known--uh, actually, that I don't know.

Reporters cross talk

Reporter Will this bring us any closer to finding the family?

JM We don't know that yet. I mean, as far as closer, closer to find it, again, it's just a part of the investigation that we're following. So, have we found the family? No, we haven't. And that's why the Amber Alert is still out. Again, it's just something that we're following up.

Reporter: Could you give us a sense of how many officers between the two forces are involved in the search of that property right now?

JM Tens of officers. I, I don't have an actual number, but there's tens of officers out there.

Reporter Tens of officers. So dozens?

JM Well. Dozens. Tens.

Reporter Has there been anything on that property that gives you clues that would...

JM Honestly, I'm not privy to that information at this point. They're obviously still in the process of going through the property. Quite honestly, I mean I've uh, I haven't heard anything, any update in that respect.

Reporter What do you hope to find there?

JM Anything that would help us solve this file helps us find the family.

Reporter Cross talk

JM Sorry?

Reporter Has the truck been taken away yet?

JM We have the truck.

Reporter Is there any reason to believe that the three missing persons are still alive?

JM We don't know that. I mean, again, that's what we're trying desperately to find out.

Reporter There's a flag in a part of the search area. What does it mean when the officers would put a flag in part of the search area?

JM Good question. I honestly don't know. I don't know what the flag would mean there.

Reporter Sir, did you say that you don't know if they're still alive?

JM Well, no. I mean, we're still searching. We're still investigating so there's no, there's no indication one way or the other

Reporter There seems to be a shift in language in recent few days when the police went from being confident the family would be found alive to being hopeful. Do you know? Is there anything to that? Or can we say you're still confident that they will be found alive?

JM Honestly i can't comment to that 'cause it's not a word I've used, and it's, I'm not sure what, whoever you're speaking to about that, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

Reporter Is there a connection between the Park Hill grid search and this grid search?

JM The Park Hill grid search? That happened this afternoon? That's--yes.

Reporter Was there new information that brought you back there because of the other investigation?

JM No it's, well it's--no. I mean, it's with that area's results, or with both area's results, we're going to, again, do as complete a job as we can to find any evidence at all that would help us find out exactly what happened, and that's what we're doing in both locations.

CPS PR A couple more questions.

Reporter What's the next step?

JM Well, it's just a matter of seeing what the day produces, you know, and we'll go from there. We'll have to reassess and then we'll go from there.

Reporter What's the status of the Park Hill search? Will is still be going on tonight or still going on tomorrow?

JM I don't believe so. I think the search was completed this afternoon.

Reporter Is the person that you brought in for questioning co-operating?

JM To a degree, yeah.

CPS PR OK. Thank you very much, and I'm sorry there isn't more information we can give you at this point. But, as soon as we hear of any updates that we are certain we can give without impacting the investigation, we'll obviously have you back.

Reporter cross talk

Reporter Did you get a tip to go to that location? The Airdre location?

JM Yes.

Cross talk

Reporter And that was to look for the truck, right?

CPS PR Yes

This case gets stranger and stranger. I hope this family gets some answers soon.

:coffeecup: Good morning, please don't post names and make potentially harmful connections from FB, that would be considered rumor and we don't do rumors here.

Thank you,

Cp

:coffeecup: Good morning, please don't post names and make potentially harmful connections from FB, that would be considered rumor and we don't do rumors here.

Thank you,

Cp

sorry - still quite new here and learning rules!! saw the posts deleted but my last post was missed and for some reason I can't seem to delete it myself…

I just woke up to all the new developments... Sounds intense. Wonder why it's taking so long to hear anything. From the looks of things, (police flags and such) they have found some incriminating evidence and it doesn't look good to me. Like everyone else here, I'm curious as to hear what the motive was, seems so senseless. Nathan's parents offered a $100,000.00 reward for any information leading to the discovery of the 3 right? Wonder if that was the motive for the tip-off in the recent farm info and if any monies will be collected. It disheartens me to feel that it takes a reward to step forward. If I had info that cracked the case, I'd return the money (believe me, I could really use $100,000.00) to this family as it is rightfully theirs, the last thing they need is to suffer financial strain after such an ordeal.

Guys, initials are ok but we can't just post willy nilly innocent peoples names that would come up on a search engine. I certainly wouldn't want my name to be connected to a case, would you?

Thanks so much wendiesan for taking the time to post the transcripts!!!

I truly hope this leads LE to the family (alive, though it's not looking good). My heart breaks for that little boy.

I read somewhere that Child Protective Services was or still is there. Is there a chance Nathan is alive? Does this POI have them stored away somewhere? Sounds far fetched but you never know. Sadly i do think the family is no longer alive.

How long can police hold him for questioning before charging him or having to release him?

I read somewhere that Child Protective Services was or still is there. Is there a chance Nathan is alive? Does this POI have them stored away somewhere? Sounds far fetched but you never know. Sadly i do think the family is no longer alive.

I think you may have taken CPS to mean that? But no, in this case it's Calgary Police Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop