Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you think he is obsessed? I don't see it that way. He had an opportunity to steal identity and was quite successful with it. He went back to using it because it was easy - nothing to do with being obsessed with a child?

Maybe obsessed isn't the right word but it's not like he only used MKH's name for some fake ID. He also created at least 2 profiles on chat forums using the names Matt1 and Matt2. (Links in thread, brb, going to find)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...nfo-manuals-k-t-307-s-12-vertical-mill-92954/
Here, in2004, he uses Matt1 as his user name and Doug as his signature name.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-48658.html
Here, in 2009, he uses Matt2 as his user name and Matt as his signature name. Both use what is likely his fathers e-mail address

There is not a single, rational, reason why a grown man would steal and use the identity of a deceased child, one whom he was possibly involved in his death.

It is wrong and twisted.

JMO

Am I the only one that sees what he did differently? He stole the identity of someone who if was still alive would be roughly around the same age as him(or an age he could get away with looking) Maybe he was in a hurry and this is the only person he could find? Also there is no evidence linking him to the car crash so why are people assuming he was involved?

Am I the only one that sees what he did differently? He stole the identity of someone who if was still alive would be roughly around the same age as him(or an age he could get away with looking) Maybe he was in a hurry and this is the only person he could find? Also there is no evidence linking him to the car crash so why are people assuming he was involved?

Firstly, I said "possibly", secondly, I am basing the possibility on this "Garland told the court at the time he had been traumatized after causing what he described as a horrific accident after falling asleep behind the wheel." and thirdly, it's morally and legally wrong what he did.

Clearly he is a criminal. (Goes for mental stability, personality etc.)

Again, JMO.

Link to quote - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

Perhaps DG caused the accident without actually being in it. He mentioned falling asleep driving which could have caused another vehicle to swerve out of the way, in turn killing the kids. MOO

I'm quite behind, but in regard to the car crash that claimed the lives of MKH and his sister, I found an article from the Oct. 30, 1980 Lethbridge Herald on newspaperarchive.com. I don't think I can link it because I think you have to have a membership, but I'll try anyway. Here is the relevant text:

Linky: http://newspaperarchive.com/ca/albe...ley&rtserp=tags/?pf=matthew&pl=kemper-hartley

The third fatality was another, unrelated accident. No mention of who was driving the half-ton. No idea why a 14 yo was driving, either...very strange.

Thanks, Kittymama.

Here is a screenshot of the news piece.

the-lethbridge-herald-thursday-october-30-1980.JPG

Firstly, I said "possibly", secondly, I am basing the possibility on this "Garland told the court at the time he had been traumatized after causing what he described as a horrific accident after falling asleep behind the wheel." and thirdly, it's morally and legally wrong what he did.

Clearly he is a criminal. (Goes for mental stability, personality etc.)

Again, JMO.

Link to quote - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

I agree with you that he is a criminal. And it is for sure morally and legally wrong what he did. I just think he thought he had rational reasons for doing it (like being around the same age to pass off as mkh). I don't think he was doing it out of something sick and twisted, just what he thought was a necessity as per bring on the run. Anyways just what I am thinking of the situation. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Does anyone find it strange that a couple in their 80s is camping? My mother is 78 and certainly would find it unbearable to go camping.

But I guess everyone is different.

I think I find it more unlikely than strange. I can see it if one or both of them liked to fish and had an RV.

My dad liked to hunt and fished. We camped a few times when I was a kid. He took his grandkids fishing up until he died at age 81 - but just for a few hours - no camping.

I'd really like to know where that information about camping came from - if DG's parents told that to anyone directly - or if DG told a neighbor that's where his parents were.

If he indeed was the driver that caused the death of Matthew Kemper Hartley (and his sister), and felt extremely guilty ("traumatized after causing what he described as a horrific accident after falling asleep behind the wheel"--again if the two accidents, one involving MKH, one involving DG, were the same accident), then there is the possibility (might make some sense) that he felt so guilty that he thought by assuming his victim's identity he made him (MKH) continue to "live on"; of course it also helped him hide as the culprit of the accident, like "I'm dead"---"DG is dead, MKH lives on".

I think if DG had been the driver of the vehicle in the accident which killed MKH, media would have made much of it back when DG was in court on charges of using MKH's identity years ago. JMO, but I suspect that if that connection existed, it would have been big news back when DG was arrested for using MKH's identity.

In case this hasn't been answered yet, HTH. Interesting the bold part...

While Garland had already confessed to stealing Matthew Hartley's identity in the 1990s when he was hiding out in Vancouver, the new charge laid this weekend relates to the recent use of that same identity and allows police to keep him remanded in custody until at least tomorrow.

CBC News learned Garland was released from questioning specifically in regards to the Nathan O'Brien disappearance, but remained in police custody in relation to the new charge of identity theft laid against him this weekend.

On Monday, Garland will make a court appearance related to his new charge of identity theft.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

Could the charges come from something as simple as when the police arrived at the farm to bring him in, they asked if he's DG .. and he replied "no, I'm MH", and possibly showing ID that 'proved' that...

Nancy Hixt @NancyHixt · 13s
Garland is charged w/identity theft. He's to appear this morning in court as the search continues at his parents Airdrie area property #yyc

Nancy Hixt @NancyHixt · 2m
Douglas Garland, the person of interest in the disappearance of Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents will appear in court this morning.

https://twitter.com/NancyHixt

I'm not 100% sure how all courts work in Alberta. Will the media be in the court room? Is that allowed? TIA

Could the charges come from something as simple as when the police arrived at the farm to bring him in, they asked if he's DG .. and he replied "no, I'm MH", and possibly showing ID that 'proved' that...

Yes, I would think that is true. Also, if DG had ID around the house under the name MKH then yes that coudl probably count as recent use.

I wonder if he will show up in court today.

agreed. We've heard many times that DG carries a high intelligence, why do something so stupid? I've said this before, but MAYBE he was also interested in stealing the L's id's as he's obviously into that kind of thing. It was replied to me that this theory was unwise considering the link he has to the L's, but maybe he can't help himself in this department. Maybe he's addicted to stealing peoples identities.. who only knows what he's doing with them.

Even highly intelligent people make stupid mistakes, especially if their original plan has spiraled out of control.

DG has made several mistakes. One of my original lines of thought was that the perps were young/inexperienced or because of the driving around the neighborhood so many times. Most people planning a crime of this magnitude would be worried about being seen on neighbors security videos and would park a bit away and walk in through the alley.

Hopefully, DG made another mistake and didn't turn his phone off so that LE knows his movements.

I think if DG had been the driver of the vehicle in the accident which killed MKH, media would have made much of it back when DG was in court on charges of using MKH's identity years ago. JMO, but I suspect that if that connection existed, it would have been big news back when DG was arrested for using MKH's identity.

Would be interesting to know whether the driver of the half-ton truck in MKH accident was caught or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024