Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else find it odd that DG's parents haven't made an appearance yet? I realize it's been stated that they are 'camping", but one would think given the circumstances, LE would want to locate them to verify not only their safety, but also for questioning. I mean, they reside at the farm after all, they'd be a pretty big part of the puzzle I'd think seeing as their son is a POI. Also, I imagine LE is looking at cell phone records at this point? (not sure if this has ever been discussed.) I wonder if DG had any recent cell phone activity that could be linked to AL?

I found DG's parents last night on Ancestry electoral lists. They lived in Calgary until the late 60s when they moved to rural property.
--------
Thinking out loud... You're retirement age. The last few years you've taken a beating financially professionally and personally. You're tired and you've sold the house you've lived in for the past 17 or so years and the final straw is trying to sell the few possessions you have left to an endless parade of riff raff that traipses through your house all weekend long. An argument ensues at the end of the sale with your partner. A violent argument. Things happen, things you didn't mean. And your first feeling is to flee. But you have this problem so you call someone. Someone to help make this problem go away and buy you some time. The person you call suggests you call a certain someone, so you call them. This person perhaps doesn't like LE and they agree to come as they are a very agreeable sort of person and after all they know you well. They do what you say and help you remove one or possibly two problems away from the house leaving you time to clean up. They come back for you and take you in a very different direction from where the problems went. Perhaps the person you called first calls you the next day...

This sounds entirely possible, IMO.

Although Im not sure how long they were married, its been at least 17 yrs (1997) as per quotes in MSM. Kathryn was born 1961, Jennifer was born August 6 1980. Gives you idea of her age when she had Jennifer and Jennifers initials JLP match up with her mothers maiden name hyphenated with Liknes after.
And yes AL Has 4 children with his ex wife Susan. I have found 3 of them, but not the 4th yet.

DG's previous crimes were not violent in nature nor were they directed at any one individual. And from the sounds of it, he's remained off LE's radar since serving his jail sentence after being arrested in '99. Could his role in this crime have been to help AL disappear? Were there other vehicles on the farm, plated and in good working order that AL could drive to start a new life? Did DG use his previous alias to recently register a vehicle?

No this wasn't it this was from June 21 and this NW Calgary if you go and like the Calgary Police Service on Facebook you will see it

Edit: Sorry if I knew how to link it from my Facebook page I would :(

This is from CTV news this morning. Also in the comments on CPS Facebook it mentions this accident as the cause of the road closures.

Michael Franklin, CTV Calgary
Published Monday, July 7, 2014 5:01AM MDT
Last Updated Monday, July 7, 2014 5:42AM MDT
Investigators believe a man who was found dead in the middle of a road in northeast Calgary early Monday morning was struck by a vehicle that left the scene.
Police were called to a road on 16 Avenue and Barlow Trail at around 3:30 a.m. Monday.
They suspect that the man, who is in his 20s, was hit by a vehicle.
PHOTOS
Police investigation on Barlow Trail
They're looking for a blue vehicle with significant front-end damage. Police say the driver would have been fairly certain that they had hit someone.
Several roads have been closed for the investigation, including a section of westbound 16 Avenue at 36 Street N.E.
Ramps at Barlow Trail to 16 Avenue and Sunridge Way have also been shut down.
The investigation is ongoing.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/police-in...-in-northeast-calgary-1.1901831#ixzz36mkMqo8A

I'm quite behind, but in regard to the car crash that claimed the lives of MKH and his sister, I found an article from the Oct. 30, 1980 Lethbridge Herald on newspaperarchive.com. I don't think I can link it because I think you have to have a membership, but I'll try anyway. Here is the relevant text:

Linky: http://newspaperarchive.com/ca/albe...ley&rtserp=tags/?pf=matthew&pl=kemper-hartley

The third fatality was another, unrelated accident. No mention of who was driving the half-ton. No idea why a 14 yo was driving, either...very strange.

Matthew was probably driving with his learner's permit, although he should have had a licensed driver with him in the car. Learner permit's can be obtained at 14 in Alberta. Parents in rural areas often have kids driving much younger than in the city.

DG's previous crimes were not violent in nature nor were they directed at any one individual. And from the sounds of it, he's remained off LE's radar since serving his jail sentence after being arrested in '99. Could his role in this crime have been to help AL disappear? Were there other vehicles on the farm, plated and in good working order that AL could drive to start a new life? Did DG use his previous alias to recently register a vehicle?

Puppy, this is what I wonder as well.

Although Im not sure how long they were married. Kathryn was born 1961, Jennifer was born August 6 1980. Gives you idea of her age when she had Jennifer and Jennifers initials JLP match up with her mothers maiden name hyphenated with Liknes after.
And yes AL Has 4 children with his ex wife Susan. I have found 3 of them, but not the 4th yet.

From what I could find genbug, Jeff Liknes (who spoke at first press conference) is KL and AL's son. He recently graduated from University (2014) which would likely place him in his early 20s. Could he be the 4th child they refer to as AL's? Perhaps he only had 3 with first wife?

I think it's very possible AL fled. What I find strange is that he would have taken NO for the ride. Why? Out of all the grandchildren, NO would be his only STEP-grandchild, the others are all biologically his, no? Unless it was all in haste.....

I agree Registered, that it would seem odd if he took NO along for the ride. But what if his solution/someone else's solution was to place NO somewhere safe until he had time to think about what to do? Perhaps with a kind elderly couple who like to camp?

On JL facebook page he shares articles about the trio missing and says Bring back my parents. This couple along with info on KL online bio, matches that Allen,Eileen and Nancy are AL kids, Jennifer is KL daughter and Jeff is AL & KL son.

"About Kliknes
Biography
I am married with 2 children (4 step and 11 grandchildren (10 Step and 1 of my own), I graduated man"
http://www.warriorforum.com/members/kliknes.html

[modsnip]

We haven't heard anything about AL- good or bad. [modsnip] I think that original Amber Alert of the grandfather and grandson was, and is, what police have thought all along and that KL was the person in "medical distress".
[modsnip]

We know the green truck was sited in Calgary on the last day of the sale. Do we have confirmation of when it was seen in Brooks AB? Is there any L family living out that way?

From my understanding, (I think another user posted) that the brooks sighting was a false lead.

We know the green truck was sited in Calgary on the last day of the sale. Do we have confirmation of when it was seen in Brooks AB? Is there any L family living out that way?

Also, for everyone thinking AL is involved. I think he would realize how hard it would be to get away with NO, or even without him. Everyone is looking for them.

I'm still thinking it was someone who knew about the sale and waited till the end (since they knew there would be so many people who were in and spotted around the house) and their plans changed or they got mixed up with NO being there (maybe he would recognize the person) I also think that if the driver of the green truck is involved they didn't realize there was cameras around the area. So when they were scoping out the house multiple times (waiting for everyone to leave) they weren't thinking of how suspicious that would look.

The police haven't released any photos of anyone being seen with any one of them. If they did drive away somewhere, a camera some where would have caught them right?

Anyways this is just what I am thinking at the moment. I hope we get something new today.

I am feeling hopeful today new week rain has stopped in the area.

Matthew was probably driving with his learner's permit, although he should have had a licensed driver with him in the car. Learner permit's can be obtained at 14 in Alberta. Parents in rural areas often have kids driving much younger than in the city.

I know; I'm Albertan. But it sounds like he was driving alone with his younger sister, and I found that strange. Late October could have easily meant bad roads, too.

I wish it would have said something about the driver of the other vehicle.

I know; I'm Albertan. But it sounds like he was driving alone with his younger sister, and I found that strange. Late October could have easily meant bad roads, too.

I wish it would have said something about the driver of the other vehicle.

Not sure of the time of day but it could be something as simple as driving his sister to/from school or to a friends.

I wonder if the timeline of this crash lines up with the POI's breakdown at University? Perhaps he became fixated on it after hearing about it in the news?

Does anybody else find it odd that DG's parents haven't made an appearance yet? I realize it's been stated that they are 'camping", but one would think given the circumstances, LE would want to locate them to verify not only their safety, but also for questioning. I mean, they reside at the farm after all, they'd be a pretty big part of the puzzle I'd think seeing as their son is a POI. Also, I imagine LE is looking at cell phone records at this point? (not sure if this has ever been discussed.) I wonder if DG had any recent cell phone activity that could be linked to AL?
Maybe DG's parents have been located and are cooperating. I dont suppose they would be making public statements and LE prob wouldnt give the public info about them either. Also, if they are camping they might not be aware of whats happening at home.

Sorry, but if DG was trying to help him disappear, why was there violent crime occurring in the house? (Sorry I was unable to locate the relevant posts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member