Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“I want my father back!” wrote Eileen Liknes, daughter of Alvin Liknes, online. “I need him, I need to see little Nathan smiling again and I need Kathy’s positive take on life!”

Jeff Liknes, son of the missing couple, continued to plead online for anyone with information to come forward.

“Please help bring my parents back . . . this is the worst situation I could have ever imagined but with people like you it makes everything a little easier. I just want them back,” he wrote online.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1087972/amber-alert-person-of-interest-in-calgary-amber-alert-case-has-criminal-past/

Authorities found Douglas Garland in 1999, thanks in part to a tipster who contacted police after seeing his picture on an RCMP “most wanted” list online.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/06/douglas-garland-is-person-of-interest-in-case-of-missing-boy-convicted-drug-trafficker-has-ties-to-family/

I did not realize before that DG represented himself when appealing his employment insurance case. And he won. Confident and LE savvy, perhaps?

ETA: This may factor into the he is "cooperating to a degree" comment made by LE. He might be a real peach to interview.

Authorities found Douglas Garland in 1999, thanks in part to a tipster who contacted police after seeing his picture on an RCMP “most wanted” list online.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/06/douglas-garland-is-person-of-interest-in-case-of-missing-boy-convicted-drug-trafficker-has-ties-to-family/

Dunno. I guess the original article is open to interpretation ... whether the tipster lived in Calgary and knew him as DG, or lived in Vancouver and knew him as MKH:

from the 1999 article:
http://injusticebusters.org/index.htm/newstories3.htm

Last week, a tipster called Crime Stoppers in Calgary to say Mr. Garland was working in Vancouver as a chemist under the name Hartley. Within two hours of the tip, police made the arrest.

Has it been confirmed for sure AG and DG's whereabouts? (parents of POI)

If they are camping when did they leave and do they perhaps have a small companion with them?

ETA. On GlobalCalgary 11 tonight they had interview with other neighbour who said he knew AG for years but had no idea he had a son. Sorry can't remember name but newscast should be online.

“I want my father back!” wrote Eileen Liknes, daughter of Alvin Liknes, online. “I need him, I need to see little Nathan smiling again and I need Kathy’s positive take on life!”

Jeff Liknes, son of the missing couple, continued to plead online for anyone with information to come forward.

“Please help bring my parents back . . . this is the worst situation I could have ever imagined but with people like you it makes everything a little easier. I just want them back,” he wrote online.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/1087972/amber-alert-person-of-interest-in-calgary-amber-alert-case-has-criminal-past/

Eileen's middle name is Alvinia (after her dad Alvin) per her FB. :sigh:

Has it been confirmed for sure AG and DG's whereabouts? (parents of POI)

If they are camping when did they leave and do they perhaps have a small companion with them?

ETA. On GlobalCalgary 11 tonight they had interview with other neighbour who said he knew AG for years but had no idea he had a son. Sorry can't remember name but newscast should be online.

This is something I have been concerned about, too! Are they ok?? I just don't see a couple in their 80s camping but ...

Small companion?

My guess is that she's in shock and is having a hard time processing everything. Her Son and Mother have gone missing, and was she not the one who was in the home to discover it all?

ETA: This was in response to ElleElle "Is it just me, but does JO not seem emotional at all in photos/press conference? As opposed to RO who is bawling his eyes out. " . New format since I was last here, I think...and I never did figure out the old one.

I have to wonder if DG wasn't suspected from the get go and JO had strong feelings about his involvement. Her demeanor during the presser kind of comes across at times that she is trying to stifle anger in MOO.

LE could have had DG on their list from the get go as a suspect, but they couldn't locate him. I get a weird feeling the victims are a long way from home. JO showed up Monday morning June 30th and it wasn't until five days later on Friday, July 4th, LE gave a description of the pickup. LE were asking for surveillance from businesses and neighbours on the Monday. Reflecting back to the VS case, LE had revealed surveillance the day after VS was abducted, yes they were that quick to locate and release it to the public. Did they finally release a description/image of the truck on the Friday because they could not find DG and needed the public's assistance locating him? Considering his background they didn't want to release his name for fear he would go into hiding again. I just have a feeling he was on the radar from the very beginning. Whether he was actually involved in the disappearance of A, K and N is obviously yet to be determined. MOO.

This is something I have been concerned about, too! Are they ok?? I just don't see a couple in their 80s camping but ...

Small companion?

RE: Small companion I'm concerned that POI's parents may be used to "cleaning up" after their son either willingly or unwittingly. I find it interesting that they would not even mention they have a son to a neighbour. Perhaps G's even know/have met NO before through a family event.

Also, There appears to have been a camping trip the O's went on with other family(families?) around middle of June in Drumheller? Seen on friend of JO's fb. Not sure who else was present. There are pics of NO and other children at the Hoodoos.

My heart is heavy for this poor, innocent baby. I have tears in my eyes imagining how scared this child must've been. Its not looking good for him but I pray for his precious return and his grandparents too. His mom must be feel wrecked with what its right now. That sweet child. :(

I have to wonder if DG wasn't suspected from the get go and JO had strong feelings about his involvement. Her demeanor during the presser kind of comes across at times that she is trying to stifle anger in MOO.

LE could have had DG on their list from the get go as a suspect, but they couldn't locate him. I get a weird feeling the victims are a long way from home. JO showed up Monday morning June 30th and it wasn't until five days later on Friday, July 4th, LE gave a description of the pickup. LE were asking for surveillance from businesses and neighbours on the Monday. Reflecting back to the VS case, LE had revealed surveillance the day after VS was abducted, yes they were that quick to locate and release it to the public. Did they finally release a description/image of the truck on the Friday because they could not find DG and needed the public's assistance locating him? Considering his background they didn't want to release his name for fear he would go into hiding again. I just have a feeling he was on the radar from the very beginning. Whether he was actually involved in the disappearance of A, K and N is obviously yet to be determined. MOO.

I've wondered the same thing only about AL being a suspect from the beginning. First the wording of the amber alert, JO's odd manner at the press conference and the lack of glowing testimonials about AL's character. In fact we have pretty much radio silence when it comes to hearing about the type of people they are. Right now I feel I know more about the POI then I do about AL.

Thinking out loud… What type of man is AL? Does he have a temper? Was JO ever afraid of him when she lived at home? Is she still afraid of him? Did KL ever confide in her? Was NO sleeping over used by KL as a buffer to avoid an argument that had been brewing with AL all weekend?

I did not realize before that DG represented himself when appealing his employment insurance case. And he won. Confident and LE savvy, perhaps?

It sounds like he was also confident when questioned by police. He didn't break under questioning, and he was somewhat cooperative. Police charged him with whatever they could to hold him until Monday, and I suspect the prosecution will request that he be held because of a flight risk.

Signing off for the night here.

May The Force of the universe be with the searchers tomorrow and with the loved ones of Alvin, Kathryn, and little NATHAN. (When I save this thread to my Favorites, I spell it "NATHAN" in capital letters as my way to shout out for the little guy.)

So many possible scenarios of how, why, by whom etc etc of this case but still hopeful for a positive outcome that all will be found safe and sound even tho as time passes that IMO is fading :(.Hope the family will get answer and their loved ones found soon. I will be taking a break for a few days and won't have acess to the internet but will be praying and thinking of this case :) Keep up the good sleuthing everyone :)

Now here's another bit of rough trade.... (Eileen Liknes is the name of the dau of AL and KL) Hopefully LE has had a chat with this fellow.

CALGARY -- He may have been cleared of shooting his ex-girlfriend's breast implants, but Calgarian Fernando (Frank) Chora is going to jail for the crimes which followed.
Justice Craig Jones on Wednesday sentenced Chora to the equivalent of four years on break and enter and weapons charges in the January 2006 incidents.
Chora was convicted of breaking into the home of an elderly Vulcan-area couple with whom he'd worked and holding them at gunpoint in the early morning hours after the shooting.

Later that same day he was arrested in Lethbridge and charged with two additional firearms charges.

Chora had fled to the home after his 9mm Beretta handgun accidentally discharged and struck his former girlfriend, Eileen Liknes, as he exited her car on Jan. 2, 2006 in Okotoks.

[modsnip]

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/1...ting-exs-implants-jailed-for-weapons-offences

Also

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/3...ants-should-be-ruled-accidental-lawyer-argues

and various other places online. Just google FC's name.

Anyway, I guess this meant he spent the better part of 4 years in the slammer arising from this incident. I wonder if EL may have been helping with her parent's sale (although the article does say she lives in BC.)

So is DG still being held, or has he been released? There are conflicting media reports.

Given his history (and if he is involved in the disappearance) he would likely take off or commit suicide, and then no-one would know what happened. I do hope they managed to detain him on a current id theft.

In case this hasn't been answered yet, HTH. Interesting the bold part...

While Garland had already confessed to stealing Matthew Hartley's identity in the 1990s when he was hiding out in Vancouver, the new charge laid this weekend relates to the recent use of that same identity and allows police to keep him remanded in custody until at least tomorrow.

CBC News learned Garland was released from questioning specifically in regards to the Nathan O'Brien disappearance, but remained in police custody in relation to the new charge of identity theft laid against him this weekend.

On Monday, Garland will make a court appearance related to his new charge of identity theft.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

While Garland had already confessed to stealing Matthew Hartley's identity in the 1990s when he was hiding out in Vancouver, the new charge laid this weekend relates to the recent use of that same identity and allows police to keep him remanded in custody until at least tomorrow.

CBC News learned Garland was released from questioning specifically in regards to the Nathan O'Brien disappearance, but remained in police custody in relation to the new charge of identity theft laid against him this weekend.

On Monday, Garland will make a court appearance related to his new charge of identity theft.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...terest-has-criminal-past-new-charge-1.2698107

Gosh, I guess he isn't as smart as I thought he was.

It has the appearance of a charge for the sole purpose of keeping him in custody and buying themselves another day to search the property and try to find blood evidence in the truck. I'm surprised that his parents have not returned from their vacation to deal with what is happening at their property.

Gosh, I guess he isn't as smart as I thought he was.

Since the truck was from the early 1990s, and the identity theft was from the same time, I'm wondering if the truck was still registered under the wrong name.

Maybe he used that other identity recently, to hide his TRUE identity, because he was doing something bad or shady (or with respect to 3 missing people) and surely didn't want to risk being connected to them/what he was doing, as "Garland" - due to the family connection. Has to be a very good reason he suddenly used this false identity again, sounds to me like he was desperate to do whatever he was doing, 'under the radar.......IMO

Since the truck was from the early 1990s, and the identity theft was from the same time, I'm wondering if the truck was still registered under the wrong name.

An astute thought Otto. A very likely possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member