Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has the appearance of a charge for the sole purpose of keeping him in custody and buying themselves another day to search the property and try to find blood evidence in the truck. I'm surprised that his parents have not returned from their vacation to deal with what is happening at their property.

I hope that LE has tried to verify the whereabouts of his parents (for their own safety)....which I imagine would not necessarily be easy to do as many areas (eg: in Kananaskis) have little to no cell reception.

Just wondering.............say LE are trying to verify his parents' whereabouts (for safety reasons only), say they still hadn't been able to locate them......what if there's concern about where they really are, if they're safe.......would LE disclose this or would they keep this under their hat while searching for them..........versus adding to more panic and fear by saying "yes we have 3 missing people we can't locate and the POI in those disappearances, well we can't locate his elderly parents, either."

Just seems convenient to me the timing of them being gone away. I'd like to know which of the elderly couple told the neighbor('s wife?) about the going camping....how long ago did they apparently tell him/her?.......surely you'd think they'd have mentioned or neighbor/wife would have asked "oh where are you going?" etc. Something just feels hinky to me here with respect to them as well. I hope they are safe and sound.

I hope that LE has tried to verify the whereabouts of his parents (for their own safety)....which I imagine would not necessarily be easy to do as many areas (eg: in Kananaskis) have little to no cell reception.

Just wondering.............say LE are trying to verify his parents' whereabouts (for safety reasons only), say they still hadn't been able to locate them......what if there's concern about where they really are, if they're safe.......would LE disclose this or would they keep this under their hat while searching for them..........versus adding to more panic and fear by saying "yes we have 3 missing people we can't locate and the POI in those disappearances, well we can't locate his elderly parents, either."

Just seems convenient to me the timing of them being gone away. I'd like to know which of the elderly couple told the neighbor('s wife?) about the going camping....how long ago did they apparently tell him/her?.......surely you'd think they'd have mentioned or neighbor/wife would have asked "oh where are you going?" etc. Something just feels hinky to me here with respect to them as well. I hope they are safe and sound.

Maybe the parents were well aware of the connection between their family, the victims, and possible issues, and decided to go out of town to avoid being in the middle of what is happening right now.

News July 6, 2014

CTV News: Search Expands
Rough draft of transcript of this news report by me. Not connected to any of the participants.
Not an official transcript.
Any errors are my own.

Anchor: Chris Epp = CE Anchor: Amanda Singroy = AS
Reporter: Bill Macfarlane = BMc
Neighbour: Leo Velasco = LV

CE The police are continuing their search for clues in the disappearance of a Calgary family.

AS For the second day in a row, they scoured fields, trees, and at least one pond near Airdrie hoping to find something that will lead them to find 5 year old Nathan O'Brien, and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes.

CE CTV's Bill Macfarlane joins us now from the search. Now Bill, last night we reported that police were questioning Douglas Garland who lives on that property with his parents. He was released today though, right?

BMc He was released by Calgary Police, Chris, and they say that he is still a Person of Interest. He may have information on the case, but there's no charges against him at this point. They're also not identifying him because, just because of just that reason. This isn't his first history with police though. He was charged more than twenty years ago after a raid on this very same property for attempted manufacture of chemical drugs. At that time he fled to BC to get away from those charges, presumably, where he lived under a false ID for a number of years before a tip to police had him caught and returned to Alberta to face those charges.

Now, we found several connections on FaceBook between the O'Brien and the Garland families. We spoke with the O'Brien family today, as we have a number of times, and asked them about a number of questions. One of them though, when we asked about the Garlands, they said "No comment" when we asked in they knew them. So we're not sure just what that means.

CE Bill, I know you've been at that scene all day, there's been a lot of activity. What's been happening?

BMc Well, again, police are shoulder to shoulder. When I got here this morning, there's about fourty officers going through the field just on the other side of these cruisers at the end of the driveway through the chest high grass, looking for any evidence at all they could find. We could see they were still active up by the farm house. But, the majority of the afternoon it seemed they were principally focused down by this slough you can see down by the end of this road. it's about half a kilometre away or so.

And they had police dogs going through the long grass there along the south side of that slough. They also had a number of officers going through the ditches, again with the K-9 units. At one point, it looked like they were going to put the police boat in the water to start searching out there. It looked like the dog handlers were indicating something out by the water. They had a look at it. For whatever reason they decided not to get that boat in. Or, maybe they weren't able to. They weren't really clear about that.

All we know now is that Calgary Police have pulled back from the scene and returned to the city for the night. But they have still got officers here holding this property, and they plan to resume their examination of it tomorrow, Chris.

CE Bill, I think we also touched base with a few neighbours today saying they are relieved that the search is finally over. I think we're about to hear from one of them as well.

BMc Here we go.

LV ?? Because it's a nice place here. Safety--we never lock the doors. If they have connection in that crime, we don't know. It's so sad.

CE Bill, what's the plan for the next two, three days or so?

BMc Well, they plan to keep going through this property now, Chris. And again, this appears, like it could be their first big break. And, of course, it's just a lead in the case, and, unfortunately, sometimes leads don't go anywhere. So we don't know. Police are staying very tight-lipped about what, if anything, they found on this property. They're keeping Doug Garland in mind as a Person of Interest. But, again, no charges against him.

It's hard to say if this is going to go somewhere or not. Of course, a lot of people want to see some kind of resolution to this. A lot of people on edge, and nerves pretty raw out there, so…

CE OK. Thanks Bill.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=393385

I have to wonder if DG wasn't suspected from the get go and JO had strong feelings about his involvement. Her demeanor during the presser kind of comes across at times that she is trying to stifle anger in MOO.

LE could have had DG on their list from the get go as a suspect, but they couldn't locate him.

That would be consistent with these police statements 3 days after the disappearance:

"I would say it's less a mystery to us... Are we closer than yesterday? I would say we are."

"We have no suspects we can name, but we have information that's allowed us to move forward."

Usually one says simply "We have no suspects". Here "no suspects we can name" could mean the police had someone (suspect) in mind after talking to Nathan's parents, but they didn't want to reveal who it was.

That would mean JO had idea who was the culprit from the beginning. If so, there must have some kind of conflicts or arguments between DG and the Liknes's that was known to some family members.

Maybe the parents were well aware of the connection between their family, the victims, and possible issues, and decided to go out of town to avoid being in the middle of what is happening right now.

That's what I think. If DG's parents were missing I think it would have been a high priority, and LE would have enlisted the help of the media.

I want to thank all here for the excellent posts and info. I hope we hear something later today.

I'm quite behind, but in regard to the car crash that claimed the lives of MKH and his sister, I found an article from the Oct. 30, 1980 Lethbridge Herald on newspaperarchive.com. I don't think I can link it because I think you have to have a membership, but I'll try anyway. Here is the relevant text:

Three die in traffic Three persons were killed on Southern Alberta highways Wednesday after 'a head-on car collision near Cardston and a semi-truck-Volkswagen crash near Pulteney, RCMP said this morning. Matthew Kemper Hartley, 14, and Jill Lorene Hartley; 12, both of Cardston died after the car Matthew was driving collided with a half-ton truck about six km southeast of Cardston, RCMP said today.

Linky: http://newspaperarchive.com/ca/albe...ley&rtserp=tags/?pf=matthew&pl=kemper-hartley

The third fatality was another, unrelated accident. No mention of who was driving the half-ton. No idea why a 14 yo was driving, either...very strange.

I'm quite behind, but in regard to the car crash that claimed the lives of MKH and his sister, I found an article from the Oct. 30, 1980 Lethbridge Herald on newspaperarchive.com. I don't think I can link it because I think you have to have a membership, but I'll try anyway. Here is the relevant text:

Linky: http://newspaperarchive.com/ca/albe...ley&rtserp=tags/?pf=matthew&pl=kemper-hartley

The third fatality was another, unrelated accident. No mention of who was driving the half-ton. No idea why a 14 yo was driving, either...very strange.

I'm also very behind - who is MKH and his sister? What is the connection to this case? TIA!

I'am from calgary and there is a huge road closure in NE calgary due to an on going police investigation. Not sure if it has anything to do with this. I'am not sure how to link the site but it is on the Calgary Police Services and it says where the closures are. It's part of transcanada highway that runs through the city.

It's both eastbound and westbound lanes of 16th ave (transcanada highway) for about 3km that is closed
Edit: it sounds like more of the westbound lane is closed. If somebody can go onto site and post it for me that would be awesome

I hope today brings new answers for the families. It's been so long! I am still confused about the boat being brought out yesterday, and then not used. Did they decide the water was too shallow?

I actually seen it on my Facebook cause I like the Calgary Police Service and they give updates

So if DG had something to do with the disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents - what could be his motive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member