Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At approximately the mid way point the guest speaker mentioned Ross Mc mentioned a shooting incident of a linknes family member who was sentenced to 8 years and was released January 2014, do we know what this was about and who the person was that was sentenced for the shooting of the family member

Yes that has been discussed. It was AL's son in law who shot AL's daughter in the breast.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/01/eileen-likness-canadian-w_n_2219642.html

Alvin’s brother, Cliff Liknes, went to the home for a visit and was met with police — his first indicator something was wrong.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/30/calgary-police-search-for-missing-boy-and-his-grandparents

When did Cliff arrive at the home? It is said the police were called immediately at 10AM. I would think the family members who lived in town would have been called and questioned. Like what if Cliff decided to drop by and take them all out to breakfast? Maybe that would be odd but still I would call local family members and ask them if they knew anything either immediately after or before calling the police.

This almost 11 minute video/discussion is worth listening to. Especially when Ross Mc talks about how the family members acted during presser. MOO.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/07/20140706-144227.html

What I found interesting is that the reporters generally took the tone of people, calm down and don't rush to judgement...but at the same time the male reporter has a feeling that this is the day that something big is going to break things wide open. So I wonder what the media know, or if that is all hype and personal opinion.

Motive is money. They sold their house. Two new properties were bought to retire to. But the family was vague about their plans so maybe the AL and KL were on the outs and the family just wasn't made aware of it.. or maybe KL was hoping that selling everything and moving on (second chance) would change the dynamics of the marriage. For all anyone knows, AL might have been syphoning money from the businesses he was associated with. Maybe Al just didn't want to have to share what was left over? Just walk away from all the bad business ($800k in taxes owed, etc.) and just forget it all and 'disappear'. But he wouldn't be able to do that (divorce means split 50/50). Maybe he was feeling greedy.

Hopefully we'll find out and Nathan will be back with his family soon.

I'm trying to get caught up on all the discussion from last night and I wanted some clarification on your point regarding two properties having been purchased for retirement. I don't believe that is correct. I think the old folks purchased a home in Edmonton but had not yet purchased anything in Mexico. I believe there is property that is owned by various family members in Mazatlan but it was not purchased by Alvin and Kathryn. It sounded to me as if they had plans to go down to Mexico and purchase a property in the future near the other family property.

I have a friend whose ex skipped out of the country to avoid paying child support. It took years to find this out but in the course of the investigation she asked them to check his passport to see if he had left and they said there is no way to check that and records of passport usage are not recorded. This was a few years ago, and in the US, but considering there is an airport in Calgary and surely there are airport shuttles and taxis, perhaps they could have flown to Mexico?

I wonder where the passports are, and if the child has one. Were there any outgoing flights to Mexico that day?

I'm trying to get caught up on all the discussion from last night and I wanted some clarification on your point regarding two properties having been purchased for retirement. I don't believe that is correct. I think the old folks purchased a home in Edmonton but had not yet purchased anything in Mexico. I believe there is property that is owned by various family members in Mazatlan but it was not purchased by Alvin and Kathryn. It sounded to me as if they had plans to go down to Mexico and purchase a property in the future near the other family property.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/ca...gary+couple+their+grandson/9989542/story.html

The couple had spent the weekend selling what they owned in Calgary, a friend said, and were moving to a condo they had bought in Mexico.

I found POI's family still living in NE Calgary in 1974 (Ancestry electoral lists) They lived around 84th avenue and 52nd street in the SaddleRidge Community. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_Ridge,_Calgary
Prior to moving to the NE, they lived near downtown in the southwest and Western Canada high school would have been his school.

Perhaps they bought the Airdrie acreage, and didn't move until POI finished high school? There were no high schools in the NE at that time, so POI would have had to travel to the NW, he could have attended Sir Winston Churchill or Crescent Heights high school if he didn't travel downtown to Western Canada.

There was also James Fowler High School which would have been the closest high school to the location in the NE. Also, they did not live the Saddleridge community because that community only came into existence over the last 15 years or so. Back in that time it would have been pasture, farm, acreage land.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/30/calgary-police-search-for-missing-boy-and-his-grandparents

When did Cliff arrive at the home? It is said the police were called immediately at 10AM. I would think the family members who lived in town would have been called and questioned. Like what if Cliff decided to drop by and take them all out to breakfast? Maybe that would be odd but still I would call local family members and ask them if they knew anything either immediately after or before calling the police.

I'm assuming you are talking in regards to JO who called police immediately. LE have made statements as to the blood found in the home which would prompt 911 over family as the first call made.

Oh wow. One might be explained as being for the search team or dive crew but three? OMG

Your statement regarding the number of EMS vehicles made the hair on my neck stand straight up.
Could it be possible the EMS vehicles have been brought in to take DG elderly parents from the residents. JMO

There was also James Fowler High School which would have been the closest high school to the location in the NE. Also, they did not live the Saddleridge community because that community only came into existence over the last 15 years or so. Back in that time it would have been pasture, farm, acreage land.

garbagetweet, I put a link to the Wiki Saddleridge page in that post, the name was in existence at that time in a different form then it is known today.

Hi Everyone, another new poster from Calgary here, this is quite the impressive community you've built here. It is a fascinating forum and everyone treats one another really well.

I'm going to catch up on the news over the night, but has anyone here thought about the possibility that AL might have got into an altercation with KL the night of the incident, and had it escalate to a terrible point. AL, not knowing how else to respond, panics and calls in a favour from DG (who has a bit of a track record in evading the law and covering up crimes) to help him dispose of evidence and perhaps even run distraction while he goes on the run with NO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead