Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the symptoms is 'Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor". '

Sometimes it's the mind that is on the go. In my case, I am easily distracted by whatever is around me. If seven people are talking behind me, and my professor is lecturing in front of me, my brain wants to process what each is saying. It dilutes everything, and makes it very hard to focus.

I doubt it's ransom. I read a while ago that ransom demands are a thing of the past because of how traceable things are. I'll see if I can find the article, if I remember correctly it was tied to a high profile case

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

RE: Douglas Garland's comment about bad eyesight.
He wears glasses! At least the old captured poster shows him wearing glasses. How come he doesn't have them? Where are his glasses? Of two sketch pictures, neither show him wearing glasses. Wouldn't they let him wear them in jail, at court? Hmmmm.... maybe he lost them that night during a struggle.

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't he wearing glasses in this flyer? It's a video but it shows the flyer before you click to watch.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/garland-to-remain-in-custody-until-friday-1.1905365

REWARD talk again, according to this photo caption - article dated July 9, 2014

Once again, only a picture of Nathan and Alvin.

Nathan O'Brien and his grandfather Alvin Liknes are shown in Calgary Police Service handout photos. Details are pending on a large reward for information on the disappearance of a five-year-old Calgary boy and his grandparents.
Investigators delving into Alvin Liknes business dealings in bid to find him, his wife and his grandson
Nathan O'Brien and his grandfather Alvin Liknes are shown in Calgary Police Service handout photos. Details are pending on a large reward for information on the disappearance of a five-year-old Calgary boy and his grandparents.

Unfortunately, LE have to be very careful about what is said so that the accused doesn't get off the charges for not being able to have a fair trial and have a tainted jury, etc. We are SO lenient in this country.

Canadian cases are a bit harder to follow for sure. Laws are different once somebody is charged. Publication ban usually follows. I agree as a Canadian our Laws need to get up to speed.

I thought ADD was diagnosed in children and you grow out of it by age 54?

http://www.cdc.gov/NCBDDD/adhd/widget/checklist/index.html

One of the symptoms is 'Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor". '

Go, go, go
You don't grow out of ADHD, as adults some have found strategies to manage it. I wasn't diagnosed until an adult though, looking back, I displayed classic symptoms throughout school. Sometimes it can prove difficult to manage as an adult as there are more conflicting priorities, etc. Throw in.stress and focus can be difficult to acheive! At times though I find it makes it easier for me to multi-task.

Just thinking about are Canadian Laws....If DG had AL's card in his possession however had not used it, they could charge him for having a stolen card but I am not sure they could go gang busters and charge him with anything more. JMO

So, let me get this straight. DG stole an identity, and was charged for it in 1999.

Just last week, he was caught of possession of the same identity? WTH

I wonder what other identities he has stolen.

Thanks for sharing what it is to have ADHD. I'm curiuos. What happens when someone is on a mission. For example, suppose someone becomes fixated on an unpaid debt and works themselves into a kind of determined focus of getting that money back? Would there be a careful plan, a determined strategy, with one trip to get the money or harm to person, a second to clean up, would that make sense? Would there be any sense of "wait, there's a little boy here, I have to abort the plan", or would there be a sense of determination at all cost?

ADHD isn't about not being able to focus its about not being able to control focus. Ie, when something catches my attention, I cannot let it go. I will start doing something, get really into it and feel like no time has passed only to discover I've been awake for 40+ hours and have 10 missed calls. It's rare to get that hyper focused on something but it does happen.

When it comes to planning, it's more likely to be a series of carefully laid plans that never get executed. If they do though, it's usually on a total whim at which point most of the planning goes out the window and it's largely make-things-up-as-I-go-along which is why the I think it's odd that the truck was circling. The area all day. That is not a sign of something happening on a whim and seems like it would have put a stop to things.

Totally different scenario but reminds me of something that happened when I was about 19. my boyfriend at the time had been making fun of my driving skills which irritated me enough that I had notes of practiced conversations detailing statistics that I'd researched etc to lecture him about why was wrong. Weeks went by and I never cared to tell him off for it. Then one day, I was having dinner with a friend something made me think of it, I jumped up, told my friend I'd be back in 30 minutes, I was going to the mall to catch him after work and tell him off. I got to the mall early,meh was busy with people some wandered around for awhile. I got back to my friend and I showed her the shoes I'd just bought. She asked what happened and I told her I got distracted by the sale rack and completely forgot why I went to the mall.

Again, totally different scenario but I hope it illustrates why I have trouble with the truck circling.

As for determination at all costs, I can see that happening to a degree. I think a major surprise factor like a little boy being unexpectedly present would kind of be like a splash of cold water/wake up call of 'this isn't what I'm here for, ABORT.'

RE: Douglas Garland's comment about bad eyesight.
He wears glasses! At least the old captured poster shows him wearing glasses. How come he doesn't have them? Where are his glasses? Of two sketch pictures, neither show him wearing glasses. Wouldn't they let him wear them in jail, at court? Hmmmm.... maybe he lost them that night during a struggle.

Please correct me if I am wrong but isn't he wearing glasses in this flyer? It's a video but it shows the flyer before you click to watch.
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/garland-to-remain-in-custody-until-friday-1.1905365

BBM - You are correct, I noticed it too. Which makes this quote today by the Judge and Garland, a bit more interesting -

At several points, Garland leaned toward the camera lens providing the video link between the courtroom and jail, prompting Durant to ask him if he was having trouble hearing the proceedings.

“Bad eyesight,” Garland replied.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/c...ase+could+released+Friday/10014971/story.html

ADHD isn't about not being able to focus its about not being able to control focus. Ie, when something catches my attention, I cannot let it go. I will start doing something, get really into it and feel like no time has passed only to discover I've been awake for 40+ hours and have 10 missed calls. It's rare to get that hyper focused on something but it does happen.

When it comes to planning, it's more likely to be a series of carefully laid plans that never get executed. If they do though, it's usually on a total whim at which point most of the planning goes out the window and it's largely make-things-up-as-I-go-along which is why the I think it's odd that the truck was circling. The area all day. That is not a sign of something happening on a whim and seems like it would have put a stop to things.

Totally different scenario but reminds me of something that happened when I was about 19. my boyfriend at the time had been making fun of my driving skills which irritated me enough that I had notes of practiced conversations detailing statistics that I'd researched etc to lecture him about why was wrong. Weeks went by and I never cared to tell him off for it. Then one day, I was having dinner with a friend something made me think of it, I jumped up, told my friend I'd be back in 30 minutes, I was going to the mall to catch him after work and tell him off. I got to the mall early,meh was busy with people some wandered around for awhile. I got back to my friend and I showed her the shoes I'd just bought. She asked what happened and I told her I got distracted by the sale rack and completely forgot why I went to the mall.

Again, totally different scenario but I hope it illustrates why I have trouble with the truck circling.

As for determination at all costs, I can see that happening to a degree. I think a major surprise factor like a little boy being unexpectedly present would kind of be like a splash of cold water/wake up call of 'this isn't what I'm here for, ABORT.'

The green truck was not "circling" the neighbourhood. It was seen more than once in the neighbourhood on the night of the disappearance between the hours of 10PM and 10AM.

REWARD talk again, according to this photo caption - article dated July 9, 2014

Once again, only a picture of Nathan and Alvin.

Perhaps their IT guy copied the pics from a few days ago, and copied the reward info by mistake as well.

The green truck was not "circling" the neighbourhood. It was seen more than once in the neighbourhood on the night of the murder between the hours of 10PM and 10AM.

BBM ~ MURDER? What murder? That is not factual, yet.

That is a very interesting look inside ADHD. Thanks for posting it, and welcome!

It's tough to make sweeping generalizations though, based on your personal experiences. For example, if there was intent to go harm, kill, or kidnap someone, I find it hard to believe they would simply lose interest because they had to wait, or circle the block a couple of times. Perhaps that just ads to the agitation required to go through with it.

As a side note, there has not been any definitive pattern, sighting times, or frequency released regarding the mystery truck to my knowledge.

Agreed. I'm trying hard not to do that but after I was diagnosed, I was completely fascinated and read everything I could possibly find on ADHD both out of interest and in an effort to separate what's me from what's ADHD.

Most research is centred on children but this explains it:

"In this sense, it has been proven that the performance of ADHD children clearly decreases before known or repetitive tasks. If the task is new, their initial performance is good, but it worsens as it becomes monotonous, increasing the probability of abandoning it (Orjales 1998). The ADHD child's attention is usually disperse and can be altered by any irrelevant stimulus, keeping attention under the normal classroom conditions can greatly difficult that the child focuses his/her attention on the task."

Source
http://www.fundacionadana.org/en/node/69

DG does NOT live at the acreage, he was picked up there by the police. Conditions of his release are that he confirms to the court where he will be living.

So, where was he living?

BBM ~ MURDER? What murder? That is not factual, yet.

Oops again! Sorry about that. I should have said ... on the night that the family was abducted.

If police weren't searching fields, sloughs, and city dumps, I wouldn't be thinking like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanmails