Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to find out the origin of the surname "Liknes" and came upon a site that showed when "Likneses" entered (or left) Canada between certain years. There are quite a few who settled in Edmonton. Personally, I would use a buyers agent if moving to another city; but, they may be acquainted with the city enough to be able to make a purchase on their own.

We simply skipped using a buyers' agent and just used our lawyer to complete the purchase of our home. The seller's agent will do the paperwork and forward to the buyers lawyer, but they will not counsel you regarding the pro's/con's of your purchase.

All that to say, AL has eight other siblings and maybe some of his family lives in Edmonton and they know the area so went ahead without an agent.

Purely speculation on my part.

I think the name is Norwegian--there may even be a town or area in Norway called Liknes. AL certainly looks like he could be of Norwegian descent. I also thought about that when someone above described a blond in his 30s driving the ?green truck? in Airdrie--possibly a relative? Not that Norwegians have anything close to a monopoly on blondness, but...

(response to cathdawg above, sorry thought I used quote)

I wondered that initially. But with the Amber Alert he would never be able to use it without someone knowing that it was being used...and subsequently LE following the contrail to his ISP, etc., etc.

While we wait for things to progress, let's look at some of the theories that have been bounced around here:

1. DG came by the L's home after the estate sale to settle a financial score, takes all 3 against their will, who knows what happened after that.....
2. After a domestic dispute gone too far, AL calls on DG to come help him out of a 'jam', maybe owes him a favor? (AL takes NO as he's a witness to the crime?)
3. Both L's skip town in hopes of disappearing due to financial woes, DG is framed. (again, why take NO?)
4. Both L's fled after unfortunate accident which physically harms/maybe worse NO. (I'm not buying that)
5. Someone mentioned a 'Casey Anthony' scenario....

Feel free to add to the list. :coffeews:

I've been wondering if someone stopped by the sale, looked around and for whatever reason decided to come back later,maybe to pick up what they bought and wanted a few extras thrown in at no cost or came back to try to haggle further and somehow a fight broke out and...

The thing that I can't get past is that if the goal was to kill the family, either premeditated or spur of the moment, why kidnap them/move their bodies if they we're killed at the house? It makes no sense. Taking the family/moving bodies would create further risk of being seen moving them to a vehicle, having them seen in a vehicle, having fibres/DNA left in a vehicle,etc.

But if that's not the case then the only motive left would be kidnapping. What could be the possible motive to kidnap the grandparents? I known there have been cases of home invasions where the perpetrators drive th victims around to different ATMs and force them to make withdrawals, but even in those cases, the usually leave one victims at home as insurance and police have a record of ATM withdrawals/ATM surveillance cameras. So what gives?

My next best guess is something with a neighbour like what happened with Alicia Ross?

Was I the only one that thought there was too much living room furniture after looking at the kijiji ads? That was my first thought. Perhaps the green leather sofas were from the office?

"This was apparently Alvin Liknes’ company. The property manager said she often saw Mr. Liknes around the building: he was a good man, she said, and the company always paid its rent on time.

The space was cleared out sometime around June 29 —"

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

I have found that those of us with ADD do better when we have a mission, or a goal rather than being left to flop around on our own with not much going on. It's true that we live in our heads a lot. Past a certain age there is a fatigue that sets in, maybe it's an adrenal gland thing, that makes me think in his fifties, DG may not have had the stamina to carry out what has been suggested.
That is assuming that he has been diagnosed.

6. A kidnapping, and a ransom demand that has not been made public.

I doubt it's ransom. I read a while ago that ransom demands are a thing of the past because of how traceable things are. I'll see if I can find the article, if I remember correctly it was tied to a high profile case

There we are:

"According to a police source in the Calgary Herald, Mr. Liknes and Mr. Garland also had a fight over a business deal dating back several years.

The Likneses, both of whom had previously declared bankruptcy, have a long history in real estate and the junior oil and gas industry in Calgary: the Post has found Alvin Liknes is linked to at least four separate companies.

Although Mr. Liknes was not listed as a director for Winter Petroleum, an employee told Calgary Metro that the oil and gas entrepreneur led Winter prior to its recent declaration of bankruptcy. A phone number listed under Winter Petroleum still cuts directly to Mr. Liknes’s voicemail."

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

You are right. I was going to listen to that again before I posted that, and should have. Big difference.

Might be because they found more evidence of him making drugs again and have nothing to do with the missing family

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Still catching up on how this thread has progressed today--kudos all on some excellent sleuthing! But had to jump in and post re: DG Intelligence/ADHD/drug lab

Ms. Elle, thanks for your post. Reading it tugged on my heart strings b/c my son was very late to talk and although is not diagnosed with ADD/ADHD or a learning disability, he has a deficiency that has him write tests, etc., in resource. and by consequence 100% of his friends are high functioning, like he is and/or ADD/ADHD/Asperger Syndrom. Watching/listening to my son coordinate a time to get together with his friends is like watching "Big Bang" live. Suffice to say they are all incredibly intelligent, great guys.. and socially awkward and still a little immature because they just don't get the social interaction most other teens do. I worry that their inability to read social queues, etc., will make them vulnerable to someone wanting to take advantage of their, for the most part, good will and intellect.. which is what may have happened to the POI in the very beginning. He was naive and was taken advantage of by someone he was taught to 'trust', paid the price and as a result harbored a lot of resentment and an inability to process his feelings might have evolved into a grudge/revenge? I don't know. It just seems really sinister (and very sad) what has happened.

I've been wondering if someone stopped by the sale, looked around and for whatever reason decided to come back later,maybe to pick up what they bought and wanted a few extras thrown in at no cost or came back to try to haggle further and somehow a fight broke out and...

The thing that I can't get past is that if the goal was to kill the family, either premeditated or spur of the moment, why kidnap them/move their bodies if they we're killed at the house? It makes no sense. Taking the family/moving bodies would create further risk of being seen moving them to a vehicle, having them seen in a vehicle, having fibres/DNA left in a vehicle,etc.

But if that's not the case then the only motive left would be kidnapping. What could be the possible motive to kidnap the grandparents? I known there have been cases of home invasions where the perpetrators drive th victims around to different ATMs and force them to make withdrawals, but even in those cases, the usually leave one victims at home as insurance and police have a record of ATM withdrawals/ATM surveillance cameras. So what gives?

My next best guess is something with a neighbour like what happened with Alicia Ross?

You are witnessing why. Look at the time and resources used, the rampant speculation, and the lack of charges currently. Without that lucky picture of the truck... where would LE be?

No body, No Crime. You know the saying.

It's very hard to get a conviction in canada without a body."
They wanted to ensure their freedom anyway possible after the crime after all it is their life on the line now.

No body, No Crime. You know the saying.

It's very hard to get a conviction in canada without a body."
They wanted to ensure their freedom anyway possible after the crime after all it is their life on the line now.

How often, if ever, has there been a conviction without a body? If there is a substantial amount of blood from one victim, can that be used to demonstrate that a person is no longer alive?

If you google "conviction without a body" you will see there are plenty of cases. As you suggested the amount of blood or brain matter or body parts you cannot live without would all be evidence of death.

If you google "conviction without a body" you will see there are plenty of cases. As you suggested the amount of blood or brain matter or body parts you cannot live without would all be evidence of death.

Is that per Canadian law, or cases in general?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Checkyourhead