Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the issue about the condition of his release relating to where he will reside imply that his parents will not allow him to live at the house? Does this imply that they believe he is involved in some way based on the circumstantial evidence the general public may not be privy to?

That could be possible Lego, but it's probably more that he'll need a different residence than where he was residing (and also, due to the fact that it's become an area for investigation by LE). I'm thinking that the Crown will be asking for a residential surety, and possibly that house arrest be included. So, this would require a surety that is able to monitor his activities 24/7, or in conjunction with others - like an employer if he was employed, and then, an exception given to be out for work purposes, and/or a family member or friend who knows him well. If more than one surety steps up, the better the plan will be in the judiciary's eyes, and of course, that they present well on the witness stand when questioned by both the Crown and defence.

I am leaning towards the fact that there will be very strict terms for his release, and probably more than the average pledge of money for a surety. (The Crown can go back on both DG and the surety/sureties for the amount of money pledged if he should breach any of his bail conditions.) And, don't forget, the Crown can show his past may dictate his future - the Crown is going to say he's fled before, and so, even with roots in the community (his parents), he is at high risk for flight.

It will be interesting to see if his parents come to his aid or not, as we have not seen or heard from them, other than from their pastor, who said, they are doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances. And, if so, or not so, who will, and where the plan is for him to live. Defence has to propose a very good plan in order for him to be released. Obviously, nothing could be put in place for a bail hearing today, so they've remanded him until Friday, when maybe defence will have something in place for DG.

Having said that, he could have more than one surety. For example, one or both of his parents, or another family member or friend. This doesn't mean that all the sureties must live with DG. One will suffice, but all sureties would be responsible for ensuring he attends his court dates, and follows all the terms of his conditions of release set by the justice of the peace.

I work in the courts here in Ontario, so I know a bit better how things work. I imagine Alberta is much the same as Ontario.

Oh, and just an addendum - whether the charges will be read out in court or not - defence probably will waive reading of the charges, and the accused, DG, if asked, would indicate he understand the charges - it that hasn't happened already, because a new charge was added, and would have come up today. If a bail hearing does proceed on Friday, the Crown will read in the facts, and so, it will be very interesting to see how much is revealed from the Crown synopsis, and what, if any, mention is made of the 3 missing family members. (sorry, I've messed up, and have had to edit a few times, lol!)

I am so impressed how they are "leaving no stone unturned". Poor things out in that extreme heat and foul smell giving it all they've got!!!

Sorry I'm not on twitter and don't have access to the media in Calgary providing tweets, is someone still following and are they providing any new comments on their twitter feed

"Originally, Garland had been charged with identity theft, but he now faces an additional charge of possession of a stolen credit card."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1440571/person-of-interest-in-missing-calgary-family-to-appear-in-court/

This report from later in the day (so after the charge/court appearance?)

"Garland faces charges of identity theft and unlawfully possessing a bank card. The charges are unrelated to the missing persons investigation."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-police-search-landfill-1.2701030

Note that they are unrealed to the missing persons investigation because there is no evidence (yet found) linking POI to a crime. And they are still digging, etc., at the acreage.

I wonder if JO could tell if there were blankets, sheets, rugs etc. missing. Maybe they are looking for those things in that landfill. Or floor mats from a vehicle. I can't imagine any other things besides remains. There may also be plastic bins/small garbage cans containing things.

This report from later in the day (so after the charge/court appearance?)

"Garland faces charges of identity theft and unlawfully possessing a bank card. The charges are unrelated to the missing persons investigation."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-police-search-landfill-1.2701030

Note that they are unrealed to the missing persons investigation because there is no evidence (yet found) linking POI to a crime. And they are still digging, etc., at the acreage.

Unknown at this point. As I understood, it was alleged to be a credit card with the fake identity. "Stolen" is either new, or sloppy reporting.

It sends shivers down my spine, my mind is racing with gruesome thoughts.

Hey no! Just because you get out your beretta and shoot someone doesn't *prove* you were trying to *kill* the person! What IS this world coming to anyway?? The man was 61 years old.. how old was the woman (who is supposed to be AL's daughter?)?

At approximately the mid way point the guest speaker mentioned Ross Mc mentioned a shooting incident of a linknes family member who was sentenced to 8 years and was released January 2014, do we know what this was about and who the person was that was sentenced for the shooting of the family member

Gosh. I've been posting here about this fellow for days now. I assume (but don't know) that he may have been ordered to stay away from a L daughter, who testified against him in his attempt murder trial because he shot her. Moreover, given that he reportedly had a long criminal history involving drugs and his rap sheet includes breaking into the bedroom of an elderly couple holding them at gunpoint, and given that he just got out of prison last January, I have been speculating about the possibility that he may have learned from the garage sale ads that her parents were planning to move, so then decided to show up demanding to know his ex-girlfriend's whereabouts and maybe demanding $400. with 8 years interest. Let's just say he may be carrying a grudge.

His trial details, wherein he successfully explained how he inadvertently came to shoot his gf are quite amazing, as was the result - the entire incident making headlines everywhere. Nevertheless, he served 8 years on the handgun possession charges and the judge did admonish him for breaking into the older person's residence. Oh, the $400. ? Well, apparently he and the gf had been driving around town for several hours trying to find somebody to pony up the $400 she owed him. The task proved to be fruitless so she finally ordered him out of the vehicle at which point his illegal handgun - uhm - accidentally discharged - hitting her at close range - twice. I've no idea whether he is a POI although he certainly seems to exhibit a few highly qualifying elements. IMO. IMHO. Just sayin'.

Oh, she was 37 in 2006 (the time of the shooting) and he was 54. (You do the math.) Apparently, according to MSM, they'd broken up and she was living in Kelowna at that time, having come home to Calgary to spend Christmas with her family when the old bf reappeared, apparently demanding money and carrying the loaded 9 mm Baretta with the safety off - the one that accidentally went off - twice.

http://www.thecragandcanyon.ca/2013/04/10/man-who-dodged-jail-for-shooting-ex-in-breast-implants-gets-four-years-for-aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UK Feline